Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pellisworth posted:

Muscovy is kind of a pushover or at least tends to collapse a lot more easily to Hordes and other neighbors. Him owning all the PLC land is more impressive to me cuz there's a solid 500+ development in there and it took me forever to conquer in my TO->Prussia game.

It's totally doable but I'd be pretty surprised if that screenshot is much before ~1700. He hasn't given us the date :v:

I had a similar progress at 1686, and I didn't even pick administrative ideas; it's completely doable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

I don't think terrain types changing dynamically would work right now, those are all loaded in when you first open the map, and to change them you'd have to reload it.
Terrain types are defined in the province files now though, and didn't they mention something about being able to reload more map files while in-game in the next patch? (Presumably to make modding less of a hassle.) It might not be as much of a hassle as back when terrain was defined by the terrain map.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Okay, I know that catholic and other religions can join the protestant league just fine, and the whole system for that has a very historical basis. But I do really think a particular religious leader needs to go home and take some time to sober up, because I'm not quite sure he knows what hes doing here.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

VerdantSquire posted:

Okay, I know that catholic and other religions can join the protestant league just fine, and the whole system for that has a very historical basis. But I do really think a particular religious leader needs to go home and take some time to sober up, because I'm not quite sure he knows what hes doing here.

"gently caress the Hapsburgs" knows no religious boundaries.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
If Catholicism is so great, why do we allow the Hapsburgs to be part of it?- Pope Paul IV

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Got a messy borders complaint. I'm playing Portugal and I colonised all of the Caribbean since it seems to have good base tax (like 4 per province). Once that was done, I started colonising neighbouring Colombia, and my colonial subject in the Caribbean did too. But when Portuguese Colombia formed, my Caribbean colonial subject kept all the land in that area that they had colonised, which means that Colombia is split in half by their land.

I think if two colonial subject nations have the same overlord, they should give their provinces to each other depending on colonial region.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

Muscovy is kind of a pushover or at least tends to collapse a lot more easily to Hordes and other neighbors. Him owning all the PLC land is more impressive to me cuz there's a solid 500+ development in there and it took me forever to conquer in my TO->Prussia game.

It's totally doable but I'd be pretty surprised if that screenshot is much before ~1700. He hasn't given us the date :v:

That was 1680.

It is extremely doable to keep doing the epic 2000 development behemoths just before endgame thing. The way you do it is the same way you've always done it, if you aren't retarded. You vassal feed places that are wrong religion or culture or you just don't need strategically at the moment, and you anenx the rest. I try to do about 50/50. I've always gone Influence/Admin because that's how I like to play, and this patch really favors those two. Trust applies to your vassals Liberty Desire, which is how I had an equally strong Muscovy vassal towards the end with only 20% liberty desire.

At that point though I converted to Protestantism and I have 180 provinces in/just after that screenshot so I spent a good 15-20 years converting and smashing rebels over and over.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 25, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If Catholicism is so great, why do we allow the Hapsburgs to be part of it?- Pope Paul IV

I appreciate that you took the time to look up the actual sitting pope in Anno Domini 1556

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Obliterati posted:

Common Sense seems to have a lot more colonisers. They also all beeline for Brazil, so you'll have Dutch, French, English, Casillian and Portuguese there pretty sharply.

Good looking out. Something I didn't even think about is if I'll even have the colonization range to get to Brazil in time. I just kind of assumed I'd have a choice and can take Gold Coast first, but with tech being super slow I might be stuck on like <200 colonial range for decades and not make it without having to first colonize something on the African coast, using that just to get to like Sierra Leone, and then waiting to have enough to leap frog over. I picked a good challenge considering I haven't played a colonizing nation either in Common Sense. What can go wrong? :suicide:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

VerdantSquire posted:

the papal state had been my ally for the better part of a century when I joined the catholic league. they immediately broke their alliance with me, rivaled me, and joined the protestant league.

earlier in a game, he'd taken so much italian land so fast that half of germany coalitioned against him, and then beat them in a coalition war and took even more. the pope is a maniac and he must be stopped.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

VDay posted:

Good looking out. Something I didn't even think about is if I'll even have the colonization range to get to Brazil in time. I just kind of assumed I'd have a choice and can take Gold Coast first, but with tech being super slow I might be stuck on like <200 colonial range for decades and not make it without having to first colonize something on the African coast, using that just to get to like Sierra Leone, and then waiting to have enough to leap frog over. I picked a good challenge considering I haven't played a colonizing nation either in Common Sense. What can go wrong? :suicide:

Just FYI, you can get lucky and have Portugal and Castile leave Cape Verde or Arguin alone for decades. This is especially likely if Castile is doing well in Europe early on and spending its admin points on cores and other non-tech stuff. This makes hopping to Brazil easy.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Obliterati posted:

Common Sense seems to have a lot more colonisers. They also all beeline for Brazil, so you'll have Dutch, French, English, Casillian and Portuguese there pretty sharply.

Getting a pop-up telling me that Friesland has been the first to circumvent the globe made my day yesterday.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Getting a pop-up telling me that Friesland has been the first to circumvent the globe made my day yesterday.

Norway was the first in my Ayutthaya game, and it was around ~1600. The only reason I didn't do it is because the route it forces you into is the loving dumbest and maximizes the amount of attrition your ships take. I was a month away from getting to a safe harbor before the AI decided it needed to take a trip north to Hawaii. You can't abort or cancel it once it starts either, which is equally stupid.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jazerus posted:

Just FYI, you can get lucky and have Portugal and Castile leave Cape Verde or Arguin alone for decades. This is especially likely if Castile is doing well in Europe early on and spending its admin points on cores and other non-tech stuff. This makes hopping to Brazil easy.

Yeah I looked at a map to plan some stuff out and this is definitely my Plan A so far. Fingers crossed :pray:

Kongo game's still going surprisingly smooth. Managed to diplo-annex two of my vassals and grabbed two more to replace them during another big war. Only problem now is that Songhai has managed to win all those wars and now sits on a pretty good chunk of the central territory. It's a catch 22 because I'm pretty sure they're the only thing keeping a coalition war from breaking out against me, but if they ever join said coalition before things calm down I'm pretty much hosed.

Also the only nice thing about the lovely tech groups is that you can easily save up enough points to unlock 3 idea bonuses at once. I'm about to get Exploration and I'm going to be able to immediately get a colonist, conquistador/explorer, and get the range bonus.

VDay fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 25, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
How much of a pain is it to annex Moldavia as PLC? I've been feeding them provinces in peace deals to let them waste the admin points (Wallachia, for instance), but now I'd like to gobble them up.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

How much of a pain is it to annex Moldavia as PLC? I've been feeding them provinces in peace deals to let them waste the admin points (Wallachia, for instance), but now I'd like to gobble them up.

I believe revoking march status is, like, a -100 opinion modifier, as well as increasing their liberty desire significantly. I'm not sure about the liberty desire thing, though. Either way it's a lot of years of waiting for them to not hate your guts.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Revoking march status is -200 relations

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It goes down by 4 per year though, so it's not too bad.

Also my plan to try and beat Portugal anywhere has been a pretty solid bust. I was hopeful when Portugal started the game out with a fairly lengthy war against Morocco, but they still managed to colonize quickly. Cape Verde was a fully colonized province by the time I discovered it, and Portugal's grabbing Sierra Leone while I'm still halfway through colonizing Gold Coast. I guess at least it'll be easy to neighbor and westernize off of them? So, hooray?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
With the new fort mechanics, the start for Ethiopia is... interesting. Too poor to fund any forts, too poor to build more, and with the first idea coming later, takes forever before you can start converting your provinces.

Just another couple wars out from reaching Kilwa and the gold mines, so hopefully things pick up by then.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I thought in a theocracy you don't get a stab hit when your ruler dies? I just got one and I know he wasn't fighting in a battle.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Trujillo posted:

I thought in a theocracy you don't get a stab hit when your ruler dies? I just got one and I know he wasn't fighting in a battle.

As far as I know you don't? Are you sure, did you take a screenshot?

I was pretty sure theocracies and republics never got stab hits on leader death, battle or no.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

As far as I know you don't? Are you sure, did you take a screenshot?

I was pretty sure theocracies and republics never got stab hits on leader death, battle or no.

Pretty sure. No events or anything else happened.

E: Now that I think of it, he may have been leading the "siege" of Constantinople. Been sitting there for years waiting for someone with enough troops to siege it and give it to me. I'd have to go over my forcelimits and break myself just to take it by myself. I guess when your theocracy leader dies in a battle or siege you still lose a stab.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 25, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Trujillo posted:

Pretty sure. No events or anything else happened.

Hmm was your heir less than a Strong claim? I don't recall if any of the heir choices are weaker heirs, but maybe a weak heir gives you a stab hit in theocracies?

Also, completely unrelated but holy moly some of the Seven Cities bonus are really strong. I just discovered the Kingdom of Saguenay which is +10% Trade Efficiency and +10% Trade Power for the rest of the campaign :stare:

Edit: added screen

yes please

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 25, 2015

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Rulers who die in battle still take a stab hit for theocracies.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Having to deal with rebels is so frustrating as the knights. The three Byzantine provinces in southern Greece will all spawn their own rebel type. There's Byzantine rebels in Athens and Rhodes, then Morea and Achaea get their own seperatists.

I think it should be more apparent when you're getting hit by a stab hitting peace deal, not just a little (this deal is better than our people expect) at the bottom. The icon should be different. I didn't think that occupying one of my provinces would be enough for the Mamlukes to stab hit me but they did but I didn't expect them to be able to so I just right clicked it without opening it. That on top of the -1 stab from my ruler dying got me killed to rebels. Think it's time to take a break from iron man.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
This game does not want me to get the Kongo achievement.

I vassalized Benin and took a province. Catholics came and converted it for me and I started converting the rest. Got a 100 Tradition General event. I got all of Benin's neighboring territories including beating Mali up while they had a Peasant War and was about to start integrating Benin...

Then I noticed Ironman wasn't on.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a way to dump Defende of the Faith besides waiting and hoping you get called into a war?

I didn't realize you only get called into wars on the same continent now, so my only option is to wait for Portugal to get declared on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lose a war.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Have I mentioned that the new fort mechanics are loving amazing? I just wish sieged forts did not still gently caress with movement. A lot of times the point in sieging a fort was to stop its, well, ZoC, and move past it with more soldiers.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Revoking march status is -200 relations
And -1 stability too, right?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a way to change a colony nation's religion? I accidentally formed Brazil as Kongo (Portugal decided to focus on Africa instead) and then switched to Protestant before realizing that Brazil probably wouldn't. I guess it's not the biggest deal in the world, but just curious.

e: Just noticed after I posted that they are actually converting the provinces that I colonize, so it's totally fine then. I was thinking they would just be stuck with my protestant provinces that I make for them.

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 25, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Rulers who die in battle still take a stab hit for theocracies.

Does this apply to heirs as well? I was under the impression that neither of these gave stab hits so I've been feeding all my rulers and heirs less than 4/4/4 or so into the blender and haven't got a stab hit yet, guess I've been lucky!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Does this apply to heirs as well? I was under the impression that neither of these gave stab hits so I've been feeding all my rulers and heirs less than 4/4/4 or so into the blender and haven't got a stab hit yet, guess I've been lucky!

Heirs do not stabhit, just rulers I believe. Send the young upstart out to the front lines, if he dies you always get an immediate replacement.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

And -1 stability too, right?

Yup. I'm pretty sure that the diplomatic idea group bonus removes this, though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

Trying to get a Wallachia game off the ground is not easy. The Ottomans warn you seemingly every time, and if you don't ally Poland fast enough you're first on the chopping block. The one game I managed to survive for a meaningful amount of time Hungary fell under a PU with Austria, leaving me no routes of expansion. I managed to get on Bosnia's side in a war but Serbia had too many alliances to make any gains on them.

In my one successful attempt at Wallachia I started off by getting austria's relations up to maximum, going up to my eyeballs in debt, building an insane army for my forcelimit in order to overcome the distance penalty for austria, getting an alliance, and disbanding almost all of my armies next month, and start paying off the debt, waiting for an opportunity. Then austria dragged me to war with Hungary (yay) and gave my bunch of provinces in the peace deal (YAY), and you're off.

edit: this was in 1.9 though. No idea if it still works.

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 25, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can anyone recommend a Common sense LP? preferably a WOl succession.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Can anyone recommend a Common sense LP? preferably a WOl succession.
DDR Jake achieved empire status as Sarig Yogir and is now doing a Jewish Ethiopia run. Not exactly what you have in mind but very entertaining.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwUm5_kWeWQ

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Something I keep forgetting: If I take a few provinces that are connected to each other, but only one of which is connected to my territory, will I be able to core them all at the same time? Or will I have to do them one by one?

Also is there a way to check a country's development level? There were a few times where I was working up to vassalize a country and then they got into a war without me, won, and I was no longer able to vassalize due to their development level.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So how fun is playing in Asia with this update? I've got to admit that given the tech penalty, the new scarcity of monarch points, and the increased coring/annexation costs it doesn't sound like a lot of fun anymore.

Additionally, is diplo-annexation even worth it at this point (vs direct conquest-annexation)?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

double nine posted:

Additionally, is diplo-annexation even worth it at this point (vs direct conquest-annexation)?

Yes, because you spend diplomatic points instead of administrative and don't have to deal with nationalism and overextension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Just as an experiment, would it be possible to mod the game to make cultural conversion require a colonist like religious conversion requires a missionary?

• Locked thread