Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Krinkle posted:

Was that the show though? I thought she just made it so the bird was on loving fire spontaneous combustion style.

I don't remember how it was described in the book, but it wasn't in the show at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Dany achievements:

- literally unburnt (fire magic)

That one guy achievements:

- motherfucking Victarion volcano arm (fire magic)

Dany makes a blood sacrifice ( She kills Carl, and is burning his body ) which could account for both the waking of the dragons and her Fire Resistance +80. If gods are involved, Dany suiciding into the fire might count as sacrifice / blood magic too.

Isn't there a blood sacrifice with Victarion too?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kcroy posted:

Dany makes a blood sacrifice ( She kills Carl, and is burning his body ) which could account for both the waking of the dragons and her Fire Resistance +80. If gods are involved, Dany suiciding into the fire might count as sacrifice / blood magic too.

The priest uses a (silver?) dagger and brazier to lance the poisoned/infected wound so blood was likely burning whether an intended part of the healing or not.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
This is as good a moment as any to say how enjoyable Victarion's attempts at ecumenism were to me. He has been brought up as an Iron Man so he pays the iron price for everything and chucks people into the ocean to drown. But he is also a practical man who has experienced first-hand that R'hllor kind of works, so now he sets the people he drowns on fire. It's pretty adorable to see him create a bridge between religions, and I cannot wait to see him moderate a Religious Peace of Augsburg-type of event where Aeron Greyjoy, Melisandre and the Great Sparrow sit down at a round table.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Grendels Dad posted:

This is as good a moment as any to say how enjoyable Victarion's attempts at ecumenism were to me. He has been brought up as an Iron Man so he pays the iron price for everything and chucks people into the ocean to drown. But he is also a practical man who has experienced first-hand that R'hllor kind of works, so now he sets the people he drowns on fire. It's pretty adorable to see him create a bridge between religions, and I cannot wait to see him moderate a Religious Peace of Augsburg-type of event where Aeron Greyjoy, Melisandre and the Great Sparrow sit down at a round table.

dont forget he burned 7 boy sex slaves and im pretty sure 3 of them are described as being overtly feminine

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

jsoh posted:

dont forget he burned 7 boy sex slaves and im pretty sure 3 of them are described as being overtly feminine

Victarion Greyjoy just 'gets' religion.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I have another implausible theory concerning Summer's 'vision', perhaps it was the release of some magical energy that occurred when the flames reached the godswood:

Bran VII, ACOK posted:

"The godswood." Meera Reed ran after the direwolf, her shield and frog spear to hand. The rest of them trailed after, threading their way through smoke and fallen stones. The air was sweeter under the trees. A few pines along the edge of the wood had been scorched, but deeper in the damp soil and green wood had defeated the flames. "There is a power in living wood," said Jojen Reed, almost as if he knew what Bran was thinking, "a power strong as fire."

Maybe it was only visible to Summer because he's a wolf and magical? I think some people ITT suggested similar things, not completely implausible imo though I still lean towards the collapsing buildings/burning debris theory.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

GRRM also explicitly said that Dany surviving the funeral pyre was a one-time deal, whereas on the show she basically has a permanent NulFire buff cast on her.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Please find me a quote where he says "so help me god if dany catches fire again it won't work this time!"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Her hands apparently suffered second degree burns when she mounted Drogo in Daznak's pit.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A lot of people thought that because Dany liked taking really hot baths and was not burned in the pyre that all Targaryens were totally immune to fire and some even thought the fact that Jon burns his hand when fighting the wights in Mormont's chambers meant that R+L=J can't be true.

There is however mention of several Targaryens dying in fires and one from chugging wildfire so obviously this isn't the case.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Is Victarion's fire arm from a preview chapter? I don't remember that at all.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Aston posted:

Is Victarion's fire arm from a preview chapter? I don't remember that at all.

No it happens in his ADWD chapters, the one titled "the iron suitor".

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't have much to contribute but you are cracking me up since you don't understand you misread the quote you posted. GRRM didn't write anything about "hearing" a comet roar. He said the roar was a river of flame. The other dudes are saying the streak from the comet is making an effect like a dragon breathing fire. gently caress man

OK, what about the wings?

Interpret it however you want, it's just a story, but I read that sentence as Bran/Summer seeing a dragon.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Didn't he also chain 7 slaves together to be burned/drown so it placates the Seven too? Victarion's got this religion poo poo on lockdown.

:catholic:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I wish the guy Bronn was watching in CoK instead of looking at the T&A with tyrion would have turned out to be the guy who challenged him for house stokeworth. The one where he said "that'll be the death of him, the day he faces me." I thought I found foreshadowing but it was just indirect foreshadowing that he's always looking for how to beat people and probably read that stuffy old knight correctly when he married Lollys.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Still rereading AGOT, I must say I kinda didn't remember what a huge unpleasant rear end in a top hat Ned was, he insults pretty much every single person he meets in that entire book unless that person is a northman or Barristan Selmy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Well a lot of them are worthy of insult.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah true they all hate each other as well but while half of them actively plot to kill each other they're still pleasant and humorous to one another while Ned who is a complete idiot who doesn't even understand what's going on around him is this boring stiff who throws around insults while everyone is rolling their eyes at him and secretly laugh at him behind his back. Rereading his scenes with Littlefinger is borderline unpleasant on account what a huge condescending idiot Ned is while LF is clowning him without him even noticing.

Also Renly is pretty much one of the coolest people in Westeros, he's a really great presence in every scene he appears.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

yeah Renly laughing so hard at Joffrey he had to be kicked out of the throne room was pretty rad

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah, Renly is by far the most likeable and competent Baratheon brother. Robert was good fun but not much of a king. Stannis is kinslaying tyrant and if he would take power half the realm would probably rise up as not to be ruled by a heretic. I mean Renly would almost certainly have ended up as a Tyrrell puppet had he taken the throne but they are probably the most pleasant puppeteers around.

The good die young.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

A lot of people thought that because Dany liked taking really hot baths and was not burned in the pyre that all Targaryens were totally immune to fire and some even thought the fact that Jon burns his hand when fighting the wights in Mormont's chambers meant that R+L=J can't be true.

There is however mention of several Targaryens dying in fires and one from chugging wildfire so obviously this isn't the case.

Yeah.

If Viserys was constantly putting hands on you and eye-loving you you'd want some hot baths too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

FreudianSlippers posted:

You'd also have to disregard how Viserys died.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lycus posted:

You'd also have to disregard how Viserys died.

I thought that was where people got the idea from in the first place? "Fire cannot kill a dragon"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

I thought that was where people got the idea from in the first place? "Fire cannot kill a dragon"

Then they're putting very little thought into if they think that phrase meant "Targaryens are fire/heat-proof" since Viserys dies from heat right there. Or did they think it meant Viserys was a bastard?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
A couple of chapters earlier Jorah tells Dany that Rhaegar was the last dragon and that Viserys is "less than the shadow of a snake", if people read into this stuff as Jorah and Dany questioning Viserys parentage well idk what to say, they are basically saying that Viserys is unworthy of being called a dragon cause he's such a loser, when Dany says it at Viserys' crowning she probably already believes she's been chosen by destiny and that she's the true dragon, I do think she might herself think that she's fireproof.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
maybe viserys died of asphyxiation

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Maybe he died because he was so happy he finally got his crown that his heart simply stopped beating. They're sensitive creatures, dragons.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Magic in the GRRMiverse works on narrative lines, as all great magic does. Magic based on mechanical rules n' poo poo was invented by grognardy D&D players with lice in their beards. You cast a fireball when it's the right time for something to burst into flame, not because you have a +3 to the roll from your wand of gonorrhoea.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fargo Fukes posted:

Magic in the GRRMiverse works on narrative lines, as all great magic does. Magic based on mechanical rules n' poo poo was invented by grognardy D&D players with lice in their beards. You cast a fireball when it's the right time for something to burst into flame, not because you have a +3 to the roll from your wand of gonorrhoea.

yeah, definitely. both the south african and the american tolkien understood this

cf. robert jordan who was a nucular engineer and brandon sanderson who pulled a weekend at bernies at jordan and who is a magic the gathering playing mormon

ofc the plot driven magic can also be lovely, like moorcock's elric's stormbringer which fails more often than a horror film cellphone

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 25, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

"Fire cannot kill a dragon" was like a no true scotsman she said to herself as her brother died like a chump. If she isn't chosen by destiny then every single thing she does is terrible. If the Dragon is a narrative device to represent her unplaced optimism then goddamn. That red waste march killed half your people, khaleesi, maybe you shoulda gone west and taken your chances with khal pono.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I do think she might herself think that she's fireproof.

That could be prophetic and oddly satisfying :tinfoil:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Hogge Wild posted:

yeah, definitely. both the south african and the american tolkien understood this

cf. robert jordan who was a nucular engineer and brandon sanderson who pulled a weekend at bernies at jordan and who is a magic the gathering playing mormon

ofc the plot driven magic can also be lovely, like moorcock's elric's stormbringer which fails more often than a horror film cellphone

who is the south african tolkien? jrr was british unless :thejoke:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
fire can kill a targ's hair though

hair is already dead of course and grrm may not have been thinking of the hair on Kelly's head

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

who is the south african tolkien? jrr was british unless :thejoke:

from wikipedia: John Ronald Reuel Tolkien was born on 3 January 1892 in Bloemfontein in the Orange Free State (now Free State Province in South Africa)

he left for england when he was 3

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

fire can kill a targ's hair though

but not their brown eyebrows

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Hogge Wild posted:

from wikipedia: John Ronald Reuel Tolkien was born on 3 January 1892 in Bloemfontein in the Orange Free State (now Free State Province in South Africa)

he left for england when he was 3

If you're part of the ruling elite of a colony then you're from whatever country your parents are from. Richard E Grant is British even though he was born in Swaziland and the same goes for the people born in India. Colonial rulers aren't immigrants who take on the nationality.

quote:

Yeah, Renly is by far the most likeable and competent Baratheon brother. Robert was good fun but not much of a king. Stannis is kinslaying tyrant and if he would take power half the realm would probably rise up as not to be ruled by a heretic. I mean Renly would almost certainly have ended up as a Tyrrell puppet had he taken the throne but they are probably the most pleasant puppeteers around.
I always think Renly going for the throne was a bit of a silly decision. Like others have said he would know Stannis would never back down and Renly was never really much of an administrator. I guess Loras whispering into his ear is what got him to make the leap.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
stop appropriating african culture

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

FreudianSlippers posted:

He's three years old in book one.ince the books take place over about two and a half years he should be at least five, hanging out with his near feral giant wolf on the island of unicorns and cannibalism,

Keep going. :jizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

but not their brown eyebrows

it is known

they just wiggle down into the rectum during extreme heat exposure

what we haven't learned yet is if they can survive rear end and fire