Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tempura Wizard posted:

Look at it this way, Europe gets to be the guinea pig and gets to be the first to find out wether or not this is Another Disappointing Yoshi Game. At least that's the way I'm looking at it!

I don't need 4 months to decide whether Wooly World is rad as hell. I don't even need a day. I already reached that conclusion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wish the UK would get the english versions of games at the same time as the US. We're idiots that can't speak other languages, just give us the US release!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I wish the UK would get the english versions of games at the same time as the US. We're idiots that can't speak other languages, just give us the US release!

Of course, most countries in Europe would want to tag along with this because outside the handful of major Central European countries, video games are played in English and little else.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
other languages are stupid anyway

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Augus posted:

Wooly World

Cat Machine posted:

Wooly World

Fremry posted:

Wooly World

Flint_Paper posted:

Wooly World

It's Woolly

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Yarn Yoshi

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Fabric fettuccini

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the first footage of The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup, an upcoming game by Chris Seacor (Conker's Bad Fur Day):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woHg-IpXwAo

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

noirstronaut posted:

Fabric fettuccini

I would play and/or eat that... with Argyle Alfredo sauce.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Fremry posted:

To release it in Europe, you have had to already translate it to English, which is the only thing you need to do to release it in NA.

Look, it takes a long time to remove all the "Us" from words ending in "our"

You don't want your game full of gross words like "colour" do you?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Don't they also translate the game to Spanish and French because of all the Mexicans and Quebecans in America?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rexroom posted:

Don't they also translate the game to Spanish and French because of all the Mexicans and Quebecans in America?

Plus Klingon for all the Trekkies

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

less laughter posted:

Plus Klingon for all the Trekkies

Goddamn you americans get everything. Most equal country in the world.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know if we're getting the 'magazine" releases but most of the included games are/were publicly available during the programming contests, so if you own SmileBASIC you should be able to play them one way or another.

Where are/were they? If they were on the web but have been removed, you could always try traveling through time.

I've sent them an email about the magazines.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3D Gunstar Heroes is out in Japan today! It'll be out elsewhere in August. Here are the Japanese dev interviews:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150624_708466.html
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201506/24081431.html

They mostly just talk about how hard it was to remake in stereoscopic 3D; it's a more technical discussion than usual.

Next week's JP Wii U VC releases include Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival (the weird patchwork GBA port), Seicross (FC) and Metal Slader Glory (FC, has this been re-released before?).

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
They're probably just saying that to differentiate that with the SFC remake of Metal Slader Glory, which I don't think has ever seen a rerelease yet.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

3D Gunstar Heroes is out in Japan today! It'll be out elsewhere in August. Here are the Japanese dev interviews:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150624_708466.html
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201506/24081431.html

They mostly just talk about how hard it was to remake in stereoscopic 3D; it's a more technical discussion than usual.

Unf. Hurry up and get localized!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Champeenship posted:

They're probably just saying that to differentiate that with the SFC remake of Metal Slader Glory, which I don't think has ever seen a rerelease yet.

Fair enough. I haven't played either version, I just remember the FC version has the big cartridge with the extra processor or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo Japan released a bunch more student games on the Wii U eShop:

Dokidoki Tegami Relay - use the gamepad screen to pass notes while the teacher's back is turned, use the TV to watch what's happening around the classroom.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/etc/seminar/sakuhin/team_a/index.html

Michiko Jump - free-falling game with gyro controls, tilt the gamepad to move around the screen, bounce off clouds, etc
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/etc/seminar/sakuhin/team_b/index.html

Jikansatansa - program a little penguin robot to navigate a maze and collect items, but there's input lag on your commands so you have to give it commands a few spaces in advance?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/etc/seminar/sakuhin/team_x/index.html

Allocrash - control a reanimated dinosaur skeleton by moving each leg with the left/right analogue sticks and use the gyro to keep the dinosaur from tipping over
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/etc/seminar/sakuhin/team_y/index.html

All these games are free and come with Miiverse communities and whatnot. They were made as part of a college program called Nintendo Game Seminar, and I think last year's games are still up, too.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 24, 2015

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
I didn't even know you could get married in Fire Emblem...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MisterAlex posted:

I didn't even know you could get married in Fire Emblem...

It was Awakening's entire gimmick. You position characters next to each other on the battlefield, and they build up relationship points and get a bunch of buffs based on the strength of their relationship. Eventually they get married and have a kid, who inherits their parents' last equipped skills.

Lucina is like the mandatory tutorial child.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

It seems they took note of the Tomodachi Life's backslash. I was also surprised the costumes in Pokιmon Rumble World aren't gender-exclusive.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Petiso posted:

It seems they took note of the Tomodachi Life's backslash. I was also surprised the costumes in Pokιmon Rumble World aren't gender-exclusive.

Gender agnostic costumes also existed in Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which predated Tomodachi Life.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Tomodachi Life thing was a bit of a furfy in that the removal of same-sex marriage was the result of them fixing a glitch connected to Mii imports and it wasn't supposed to be read as censorship or the righting of some moral aberration or whatever.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The T posted:

Gender agnostic costumes also existed in Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which predated Tomodachi Life.

Animal Crossing is great

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

The T posted:

Male characters can't wear dresses.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

Male characters can't wear dresses.

Yes they can.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, I did and the porcupine lady was like "Well I don't get it but whatever makes you happy"

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

my AC:NL character has a girl haircut that is purple and he gives zero fucks

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of June 25):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Yoshi's Woolly World - €39.99 / £34.99 (June 26)
    Art Academy: Atelier - €29.99 / £24.99 or €26.00 / £21.60 for owners of Art Academy Sketchpad
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Shiftlings - €14.99 / £13.99
    Cube Life: Island Survival - €6.99 / £5.39
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training: How Old is Your Brain? (DS) - €6.99 / £6.29
    Kirby Mouse Attack (DS) - €9.99 / £8.99
    Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64, US ver.) - €9.99 / £8.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

Buy Yoshi's Wooly World from the eShop, get a free code for Yoshi Touch & Go! - ends July 23
    Ice Cream Surfer (Wii U eShop) - €€2.50 / £2.20 until July 2
    Knytt Underground (Wii U eShop) - €4.49 / £3.99 until July 2
    Stick It To The Man (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.49 until July 2
    TNT Racers (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until July 2
    Luv Me Buddies Wonderland (Wii U) - €12.90 / £9.90 until July 11
    Fit Music for Wii U (Wii U) - €12.90 / £9.90 until July 11
    Another World: Anniversary Edition (Wii U eShop) - €3.19 / £2.87 until July 16
    Gravity Badgers (Wii U eShop) - €2.50 / £2.50 until July 16

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Garfield Kart - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 - €39.99 / £29.99 (June 24)
    Tappingo 2 - €2.99 / £2.39
3DS HOME MENU THEMES
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Hunter’s Weapon Gallery - (free until July 4)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Azure Striker Gunvolt, get Mighty Gunvolt for free! (3DS eShop) - ends July 3
    Own Cocoto Alien Brick Breaker or Cocoto Magic Circus 2, get the other free! - ends July 2
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until July 2
    Luv Me Buddies Wonderland (3DS) - €12.90 / £9.90 until July 11
    Swords & Soldiers 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.19 until July 9
    Another World: Anniversary Edition (3DS eShop) - €3.19 / £2.87 until July 16
    Cubit the Hardcore Platformer Robot (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.80 until July 16
    Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until July 16
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Tons of games across Wii U, 3DS and Wii! - list here, rewards page here. Ends September 30.

NA update (week of June 25):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Art Academy Home Studio - $29.99 or $26.99 for owners of Art Academy Sketchpad
    Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) - $?
    Shiftlings - $14.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time (DS) - $9.99
    Starfox Command (DS) - $9.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Don't Starve: Giant Edition (Wii U eShop) - buy one, get one free until June 28
    Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition (Wii U eShop)- $3.20 until June 27
    Zacisa's Last Stand (Wii U eShop)- $1.19 until July 9
    Baila Latino (Wii U eShop)- $19.90 until July 14
    Puzzle Monkeys (Wii U eShop)- $1.49 until July 23
    Stone Shire (Wii U eShop)- $3.49 until August 1

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars - $29.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Big Hero 6: Battle of the Bay - $19.99 (permanent price reduction, June 26)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Pyramids - $1.99 (permanent price reduction)
    G.G. Series Air Pinball Hockey - 200 Points / $1.99 (permanent price reduction)
    G.G. Series Drilling Attack - 200 Points / $1.99 (permanent price reduction)
    G.G. Series Energy Chain - 200 Points / $1.99 (permanent price reduction)
    G.G. Series Great Whip Adventyre - 200 Points / $1.99 (permanent price reduction)
    G.G. Series Nyokki - 200 Points / $1.99 (permanent price reduction)
    G.G. Series Run & Strike - 200 Points / $1.99 (permanent price reduction)
    G.G. Series The Last Knight - 200 Points / $1.99 (permanent price reduction)
    G.G. Series Thrown Out - 200 Points / $1.99 (permanent price reduction)
    G.G. Series Vertex - 200 Points / $1.99 (permanent price reduction)
3DS MENU THEMES
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Hunter’s Weapon Gallery - $1.99 (available until July 1)
    Comic Workshop 2: My Workshop Theme - $?
    Harvest Moon: Chicken - $?
    Harvest Moon: Cow - $?
    Harvest Moon: Dog - $?
    Harvest Moon: Horse - $?
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition (3DS eShop) - $3.20 until June 27
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS) - $14.99 until June 29
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) - $14.99 until June 29
    3D Sonic The Hedgehog (3DS eShop)- "on sale" until July 2
    3D Streets of Rage (3DS eShop)- "on sale" until July 2
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop)- $3.99 until July 2
    Attack on Titan: Humanity in Chains (3DS eShop)- $29.99 until July 14
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Tons of games across Wii U, 3DS and Wii! - list here, rewards page here. Ends June 30.

NA is getting a Sega 3D Classics sale this week but NOA didn't post a full list of games or the sales prices, so you'll have to check for yourself in a couple hours and report back. I suspect it's the entire first "wave" (Sonic, Streets of Rage, Shinobi 3, Ecco, Altered Beast, Space Harrier, Galaxy Force, Super Hang-On).

Partners in Time is the worst Mario RPG, Starfox Command is the best post-64 Starfox game, Kirby 64 is the best Kirby game on N64.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Partners in Time isn't great, but the Shroobs own

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How's the 3DS port of Another World? I know it got ported to everything under the sun a few years ago but for $3 I wouldn't mind having it on yet another system.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

The Tomodachi Life thing was a bit of a furfy in that the removal of same-sex marriage was the result of them fixing a glitch connected to Mii imports and it wasn't supposed to be read as censorship or the righting of some moral aberration or whatever.

There wasn't actually any glitch causing same-sex marriage in the game in the first place and Nintendo only patched out a completely unrelated save corruption bug. The whole scandal was made up by Kotaku.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
If anyone here has Star Fox Command on VC now, what is the control scheme? I presume that it is similar to the DS stylus-based system, but if they somehow changed it to a more traditional system, I would buy it again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Doc V posted:

There wasn't actually any glitch causing same-sex marriage in the game in the first place and Nintendo only patched out a completely unrelated save corruption bug. The whole scandal was made up by Kotaku.

Got some more detail on this one? I'd seen a bunch of sites reporting the "removal of gay marriage" from Tomodachi; is there a good breakdown article of the whole situation?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fair enough. I haven't played either version, I just remember the FC version has the big cartridge with the extra processor or whatever.

Yeah it needs that to fit in an MMC5 and 1 megabyte (!) of mask ROM. It has very nice graphics, such that the Super Famicom rerelease was straight-up identical looking. It's probably pointless to re-release the SFC version altogether because of that.

Edit: I have a copy of it because I like text adventures and also games that do silly things with hardware limits, and I had to keep my NES disassembled to play it because the cartridge and converter wouldn't fit in the toaster mechanism. That's okay though, since I had to disassemble it anyway to do the expanded audio mod - MSG uses the MMC5's extra audio channels for character "voices" that can play without stepping on the music.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 25, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

RichterIX posted:

How's the 3DS port of Another World? I know it got ported to everything under the sun a few years ago but for $3 I wouldn't mind having it on yet another system.

It's Another World Anniversary Edition on the 3DS. Don't expect 3D-effects, though.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

NA is getting a Sega 3D Classics sale this week but NOA didn't post a full list of games or the sales prices, so you'll have to check for yourself in a couple hours and report back. I suspect it's the entire first "wave" (Sonic, Streets of Rage, Shinobi 3, Ecco, Altered Beast, Space Harrier, Galaxy Force, Super Hang-On).

It is, and they are all $2.99. Hot drat.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Out of all these which are worth grabbing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Rirse posted:

Out of all these which are worth grabbing?

I'd say Shinobi III and Space Harrier at the top of the heap.