Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I hope I'm not the only one who yells "PERFECT! IN EVERY WAY!" every time I see this commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKYp1ceBY4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

This sounds amazing, do you have a link?

The thread ended up in QCS iirc.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

Speaking of stuff on this forums, I really hate all of those Resume to Interviews banner ads. They're smarmy and self-congratulatory in a non-charming way.

If I'm thinking of the right person, the guy himself comes off as a huge douchebag on his travel blog and his initial qualifications for offering the service never seemed to be more than "has written resumes for himself and gotten jobs in the past."

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Gaunab posted:

The power ballad in the Arkham Knight commercial makes me laugh.

Yea but does the commercial go at 60 fps?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

vyst posted:

Yea but does the commercial go at 60 fps?

If the game is anything to go by, there are so many audio/video stutters and freezes in the commercial that it's basically unwatchable.

leisi
Aug 8, 2008
Oh. My. God. This is more Mississippi than supply-side Jesus wrapped in a Confederate flag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuYdImZEDtY

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

leisi posted:

Oh. My. God. This is more Mississippi than supply-side Jesus wrapped in a Confederate flag.

I love places like this.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I would totally chow down at pap's place

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

leisi posted:

I keep rewatching this video and finding new things to love, like the guys back in the kitchen just staring into the camera with dopey smiles

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

raditts posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who yells "PERFECT! IN EVERY WAY!" every time I see this commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKYp1ceBY4

I ATE A TOASTER STRUDEL! AND IT WAS PERFECT! :perfect:

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Why are there commercials for prescription medication? You aren't able to go out and buy it yourself, and shouldn't the doctor know what's best?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Andorra posted:

Why are there commercials for prescription medication? You aren't able to go out and buy it yourself, and shouldn't the doctor know what's best?

It's more of a "Have this ailment? Mention this pill to your doctor and see if he think's it's something you can tolerate." type of ad.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The best part is 99% of the commercial is how it can fix you and then there's that part at the end where they list the side effects and it's basically yea, it could fix you---but it could kill you too

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

vyst posted:

The best part is 99% of the commercial is how it can fix you and then there's that part at the end where they list the side effects and it's basically yea, it could fix you---but it could kill you too

The law is that if you say what the medication is designed to do you have to list the side effects. That's why you see really vague medication commercials sometimes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

vyst posted:

"Side effects may include: Hotbrain, enlarged heart, intense toenail curl, lung crust, hysterical blindness and/or hysterical pregnancy, mouth cancer, Boneitis, shedding of top layer of skin, an unquenchable chronic thirst and intense lucid dreams followed by bedwetting."

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Andorra posted:

Funny fact, drug companies spend at least as much if not more money advertising to doctors as to patients

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I swear there's at least two drug commercials that the listed side effects include symptoms of the ailment they're attempting to rectify.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sash! posted:

I swear there's at least two drug commercials that the listed side effects include symptoms of the ailment they're attempting to rectify.

All anti-depressants list suicidal thoughts as a possible side effect.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

American Dad had the best parody of those commercials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdqf1iBhaCs

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

mental health drugs are incredibly unreliable, in that every person will react to them differently. There's a reason two rules of them are 1)DO NOT DROP THEM WITHOUT TALKING TO YOUR DOCTOR and 2)COMMUNICATE HONESTLY WITH YOUR DOCTOR

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Years ago I think SNL had a fake commercial for some wonder medicine that they pretty much explained how it worked with, "We have no idea how this drug actually works."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Like there's an allergy one that's like "may cause headaches, itchy eyes, throat irritation, congestion" and I'm sitting here like "so why even bother?"

Corvus corone
Oct 14, 2012
Just because it's listed as a possible side effect doesn't mean it's likely to happen at all. If you look at the drug information that comes with a lot of prescriptions (or if you just look them up online) you will also see the statistics of what happened and how often during the drug trials. Or some things can be avoided by regular blood tests, depending on what it is you're taking. Human biochemistry is super complex and that's why they can't just pop out some miracle drug with no side effects.

For content, there's this terrible commercial that I can't find on youtube right now about some travel website where a dog barks "BOOK BOOK" instead of a normal dog bark. It really freaks me out when it comes on because it sounds nothing like an actual dog.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
There's a reason those commercials always say "ask your doctor about X" instead of "BUY X AT YOUR LOCAL PHARMACY"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Someone was once telling me that for a long time there were a lot of laws in place for advertising prescription medication in TV commercials, too, that made it fairly difficult to get them approved on and on the air.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113675737

quote:

In the early 1980s, FDA regulations required that drug ads include both the name of a drug and its purpose, as well as information about all the side effects. But side-effect information often took two or three magazine pages of mouse print to catalog, and this wouldn't do for a major television campaign. As Castagnoli says, "We couldn't scroll the whole disclosure information over the television screen — OK?"

But then, in 1986, while designing an ad for a new allergy medication called Seldane, Davis hit on a way around the fine print. He checked with the Food and Drug Administration to see if it would be OK.

"We didn't give the drug's name, Seldane," he says. "All we said was: 'Your doctor now has treatment which won't make you drowsy. See your doctor.' "

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I once asked a doctor friend about that and he said it's because with anti-depressants you feel more motivated, and before you weren't even motivated enough to kill yourself. That's what he told me, and it sounds credible enough to me so I believe it.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Andorra posted:

I once asked a doctor friend about that and he said it's because with anti-depressants you feel more motivated, and before you weren't even motivated enough to kill yourself. That's what he told me, and it sounds credible enough to me so I believe it.
That's what I've heard too, so I buy it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
That loving old navy ad on Hulu right now. For the $8 sweaters. With Julia Louis Dreyfus. It's bad. Makes it look like she's mocking the idiot for shopping at old navy cause she just laughs the whole time.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

leisi posted:

Please tell me I'm not so old that I'm the only one left who remembers Minnie Pearl and Junior Samples.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Andorra posted:

So "suicidal thoughts" isn't that accurate, it's more like "actually carrying out suicide instead of just thinking about it."

e: Regarding crap ads, how about those loving Aggro-Gator banner ads on here? They never have anything to do with the site (which is a garbage fire- it's literally a loving failblog/9GAG knockoff) and they're always bit.ly links now so you can't even mouse over them to check.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 1, 2015

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Whoever's in charge of Chevy's ad campaign as of late should be tried for crimes against humanity. Like literally every commercial of there's is so loving awful.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I must be an idiot because I love the new KFC commercials everyone in here hates. I mean, they're terrible, but it's the first time I've actually noticed a KFC commercial in years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I can't remember the specifics of it, but when it comes to the list of side effects for drug advertisements, they have to list everything that came up in clinical trials. So if two people in their 60's out of thousands of all ages had heart attacks while taking the clinical trials, it has to be listed as a side effect.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Do you think anyone has ever bought a magazine just so they could see more information about a drug they were considering?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I must be an idiot because I love the new KFC commercials everyone in here hates. I mean, they're terrible, but it's the first time I've actually noticed a KFC commercial in years.

The KFC commercials really annoyed me until I found an old one with the real Colonel Sanders on YouTube. What I thought was a terrible Colonel Sanders impersonation is actually a pretty good one. So they're at least accurate.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

don Jaime posted:

Please tell me I'm not so old that I'm the only one left who remembers Minnie Pearl and Junior Samples.

Nope - I watch Hee Haw reruns on RFD-TV on Sunday nights.

BR-549!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't remember the specifics of it, but when it comes to the list of side effects for drug advertisements, they have to list everything that came up in clinical trials. So if two people in their 60's out of thousands of all ages had heart attacks while taking the clinical trials, it has to be listed as a side effect.

I imagine the exact percentage of people reporting the symptoms have to meet some kind of threshold, but basically, yes. That's why almost every drug seems to list diarrhea, constipation, nausea, and headaches. Drug trials can last months. Think about the last few months of your life...odds are, you had one or more of those, and so would lots of other people in the trials. So to be safe, you list them so no one gets mad you didn't warn them they might have to piss out their rear end every now and then.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Someone was once telling me that for a long time there were a lot of laws in place for advertising prescription medication in TV commercials, too, that made it fairly difficult to get them approved on and on the air.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113675737

Yep, this is why there was a period where you would see Zyrtec commercials with a guy rock climbing or whatever, and then he'd stand up on top of the mountain and just yell 'ZYRTEC!' and that would be the whole commercial.

Then one or two commercials later would be one that says "Do you have allergies? There's a new medication that can help."

Since neither commercial included both the name and the purpose, they didn't have to have all the regulatory stuff.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There's a modern one that just shows a green butterfly and the URL for their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Athenry posted:

The KFC commercials really annoyed me until I found an old one with the real Colonel Sanders on YouTube. What I thought was a terrible Colonel Sanders impersonation is actually a pretty good one. So they're at least accurate.

My dad met Colonel Sanders and talked with him for a bit at a grand opening of a KFC around 1971, and I asked him if that's what he really sounded like. Pretty spot on, he said.

For the record, I like that they brought back Sanders for the commercials.