Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Leave it in place as a symbolic thing? Challenge the state law? Iunno.

Leaving in place unenforceable laws is bad policy, be they bans of fracing or gay sex.

The way cities in Texas work, they're no legal ground for Denton to fight over. This is 100% the purview of the legislature to decide what cities can and cannot regulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ReidRansom posted:

They were being sued over the ban, even after it was invalidated by the Lege. Repealing renders the lawsuits moot (and prevents having to pay for legal/lawyer fees). Also (as noted at the end of the article) the unenforceable ban would have given the drillers a foot in the door to try and strip out other safety provisions Denton has with regard to buffer zones around drilling.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ah well in that case, good move.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jesus Christ can this guy please just go away. Bill Powers is gone!

quote:

Here’s the situation: As a regent, Hall would be suing the institution that he is charged with overseeing. Hall's lawyer’s fees might – or might not –be paid by the institution he is suing. And the top legal representative of the state, Paxton, who is often charged with defending state agencies in lawsuits, would have publicly taken the side of the person who is suing the state. On top of that, Hall is a big financial supporter of the attorney general, donating more than $30,000 to Paxton’s campaigns in recent years.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/06/16/ag-clears-path-regent-wallace-hall-sue-ut-system/

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

The problem with this are the pending lawsuits challenging the bans. These would have been expensive to defend, even symbolically. Repealing the ban, while admitting defeat, keeps their legal fees from growing. It will also likely keep the pro fracking attorneys from collecting fees if the city had decided to continue defending the ban symbolically.

Ultimately this was wise move and should gain them more respect, not less. The opposite stance can be seen in the current Texas penal code, which I believe still criminalizes homosexuality, despite having been declared unconstitutional in 2002. The legislature of Texas refuses to pass a law repealing that statute.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Such a loving quagmire. By the way where does everyone fall in the whole debacle about Bill Powers? Yay or Nay as far as his tenure and the board of regents?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jiro posted:

Such a loving quagmire. By the way where does everyone fall in the whole debacle about Bill Powers? Yay or Nay as far as his tenure and the board of regents?

I'm not happy about Shared Services, but in terms of his dealings with the BoR I think he was right and a lot of them (Hall especially) were wrong. He did help some people get into the law school but frankly I would have been more surprised if that wasn't going on. I wish it didn't but it happens literally everywhere so whatever I guess. It probably helps that I never wanted to go to law school so I don't really give a poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I should know this but: What is Hall's deal?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

I should know this but: What is Hall's deal?

I think somehow the University of Texas Austin collectively beat him up and took his lunch money as a kid. Part of the Perry appointees who just poo poo all over higher education in Texas*. He launched this quixotic quest to "clean things up" at UT Austin when there wasn't really that much to clean up, trying to kill a fly with a bazooka. He made a poo poo-ton of enemies in the system, at the university, and in the lege, and now it's just a bullheaded quest to "win" over those enemies.

*EDIT: Funny enough, I was convinced that the terrible, terrible people Perry appointed to the UT Regents was just his being an Aggie and wanting to gently caress with "tu", but then I was talking to one of my dad's friends (who's an Aggie alumni and big booster) and he says that the same kind of thing happened to the A&M system under Perry as well. Whether Perry appointed these people intentionally to gently caress with the state's higher ed or just considered higher ed positions a dumping ground to drop political benefactors who weren't competent enough to be put anywhere else, we'll never know.

e_angst fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 18, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Good news for freedom fries loving kids everywhere!

quote:

Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller on Thursday restored the option for public schools to serve certain fried foods and soda by lifting a decade-old statewide ban on deep fryers and soda machines.

The policy, which supporters say gives control over nutrition back to school districts, instead of the state, goes into effect July 1.

“We are working to put an end to a one-size-fits-all approach mandated from Austin," Miller said in a press release. "We want families, teachers and school districts to know the Texas Department of Agriculture supports their decisions and efforts to teach Texas students about making healthy choices."

(https://www.texastribune.org/2015/06/18/agriculture-commissioner-rolls-back-ban-deep-fryer/)

Go fill yourself with soda and deep fried foods and be healthful children of Texas! Go!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Childhood Obesity, Piled high.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
/ Git yer gubmint hands off mah chicken fingers

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This is just feel good nonsense for some conservatives who want to stick it to Michelle Obama.

Schools already removed their friers and even if they were willing to spend the money to put them back in there isn't much you can use them for and still meet the nutritional guidelines of the USDA's school lunch program.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

This is just feel good nonsense for some conservatives who want to stick it to Michelle Obama.

Schools already removed their friers and even if they were willing to spend the money to put them back in there isn't much you can use them for and still meet the nutritional guidelines of the USDA's school lunch program.

Soda machines however, are often profit centers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shifty Pony posted:

They might be able to put soda machines back in and get a revenue stream back. An absolutely tiny and insulting revenue stream, but schools are so under-funded they'll generally squeeze every penny they can.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

e_angst posted:

I think somehow the University of Texas Austin collectively beat him up and took his lunch money as a kid. Part of the Perry appointees who just poo poo all over higher education in Texas*. He launched this quixotic quest to "clean things up" at UT Austin when there wasn't really that much to clean up, trying to kill a fly with a bazooka. He made a poo poo-ton of enemies in the system, at the university, and in the lege, and now it's just a bullheaded quest to "win" over those enemies.

*EDIT: Funny enough, I was convinced that the terrible, terrible people Perry appointed to the UT Regents was just his being an Aggie and wanting to gently caress with "tu", but then I was talking to one of my dad's friends (who's an Aggie alumni and big booster) and he says that the same kind of thing happened to the A&M system under Perry as well. Whether Perry appointed these people intentionally to gently caress with the state's higher ed or just considered higher ed positions a dumping ground to drop political benefactors who weren't competent enough to be put anywhere else, we'll never know.

The first complete and in depth article I read about how Perry was trying to fundamentally change the entire system was an article in Texas Monthly, which I can't even find now but, it was in a Fall issue in 2012 or 2013. It went into detail about how Perry had bought into the idea that the University system should be more profit motivated; doing away with tenure and any school or program that didn't turn a profit. Texas Monthly has a ton of articles about this ongoing battle. The blog of Paul Burka, Burkablog, which is not pay walled like the magazine articles, are full of stories about this ongoing war; and it wasn't just aimed at UT Austin, it was every school in the system.

edit: found it and it's not behind a pay wall, my mistake: Storming the Ivory Tower , October 2012 by Paul Burka and then a ton of articles since then in Texas Monthly

radical meme fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 19, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trabisnikof posted:

Soda machines however, are often profit centers.

School soda machines are also regulated by the USDA. See page 2 of this for the requirements

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

radical meme posted:

The first complete and in depth article I read about how Perry was trying to fundamentally change the entire system was an article in Texas Monthly, which I can't even find now but, it was in a Fall issue in 2012 or 2013. It went into detail about how Perry had bought into the idea that the University system should be more profit motivated; doing away with tenure and any school or program that didn't turn a profit. Texas Monthly has a ton of articles about this ongoing battle. The blog of Paul Burka, Burkablog, which is not pay walled like the magazine articles, are full of stories about this ongoing war; and it wasn't just aimed at UT Austin, it was every school in the system.

edit: found it and it's not behind a pay wall, my mistake: Storming the Ivory Tower , October 2012 by Paul Burka and then a ton of articles since then in Texas Monthly

If I remember correctly the big problem was that Powers didn't like these profit ideas.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

School soda machines are also regulated by the USDA. See page 2 of this for the requirements

I'm pretty sure you can still sell soda in excess of USDA limits just only before or after school, correct?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

If I remember correctly the big problem was that Powers didn't like these profit ideas.

Yeah, he actually believed that a university was supposed to educate and enlighten young people; loving communist.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Now watch as Paxton embarrasses himself in the tradition of Karl Rove on election night

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Thermos H Christ posted:

Now watch as Paxton embarrasses himself in the tradition of Karl Rove on election night

Can't wait. :unsmigghh:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Travis County Clerk's office has started issuing licenses. They will issue to anyone in line as of 6:30PM and will be open all next week including the weekend.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Paxton Advises Counties Not To Rush Same Sex Marriage Licenses:
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20150625-paxton-advises-counties-not-to-rush-same-sex-marriage-licenses.ece

quote:

AUSTIN — Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is warning county clerks in Texas not to be too quick in handing out marriage licenses to same-sex couples if the U.S. Supreme Court declares a 50-state constitutional right for gays and lesbians to marry.

“I would recommend that all county clerks and justices of the peace wait for direction and clarity from this office about the meaning of the court’s opinion and the rights of Texans under the law,” Paxton said in a statement Thursday. He noted the Supreme Court is about to rule in a case brought from the federal appeals court circuit covering Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee.

Paxton’s move comes as county clerks in some populous Texas counties, such as Democrat John Warren of Dallas County, have said they would move rapidly to comply if the justices strike down state prohibitions on gay marriage.

The Republican state attorney general’s action comes about four months after confusion reigned in Alabama. There, a federal district judge struck down the state’s ban on same-sex marriage. The chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court ordered county probate judges not to issue same-sex marriage licenses.

But the federal judge countermanded that order. As a result, gays and lesbians were able to marry in some counties but not in others. A few weeks later, the state Supreme Court ruled that Alabama’s gay marriage ban remained in force, and told the probate judges to await the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling.

In his Thursday statement, Paxton said Texas defines marriage as between a man and a woman. However, he may have confused readers about the U.S. Constitution. He said it “clearly does not speak to any right to marriage other than one man and one woman.”

Though Paxton appears to hint that activist judges would be finding a constitutional right to same-sex marriage where none exists, the federal Constitution doesn’t mention marriage.

“I remain prayerful,” Paxton said, that the court will bow to tradition and “respect the role of the states.” But he added, “If the court suggests otherwise, prudence dictates we reflect on precisely what the court says, what it means, and how to proceed consistent with the rule of law.”

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still sell soda in excess of USDA limits just only before or after school, correct?

Ah gently caress my highschool's policy of turning on the vending machines before and after school hours just clicked for me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eat every cock in the world, Kenny

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Eat every cock in the world, Kenny

Then again, there would be some nice schadenfreude in asking him to "give clarity" to the ruling, because there's absolutely no way it could be read as anything other than allowing marriage equality. Making him declare that officially would be a bit like making the bully you've just just stood up to (and now have in a choke-hold) cry uncle.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
For Austin people, word is that the Iron Bear on 8th Street has opened and will be selling 50 cent well drinks all day and night. Good luck, don't die.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You gonna die

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Apparently McClennan county is issuing marriage licenses too. Color me surprised.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

For Austin people, word is that the Iron Bear on 8th Street has opened and will be selling 50 cent well drinks all day and night. Good luck, don't die.

:stare: So many potential horrible hangovers. :barf:

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

Apparently McClennan county is issuing marriage licenses too. Color me surprised.

Yeah, this really surprised me as someone who grew up in Waco. Though perhaps things have changed quite a bit in the 12 years I've lived outside of Texas, most of the comments on the Waco-Trib's facebook page were supportive, and those that weren't were getting called out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen Paxton or Abbott actually order anyone to ignore the gay marriage ruling. They seem to be saying, "Well, you county clerks can take the heat if you want to," which is just a total cop out way of backing down. It won't take long before a clerk faces a civil-rights lawsuit.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Crosspost from the gay marriage thread:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20150626-interactive-map-how-texas-counties-are-handling-same-sex-marriage-licenses.ece

All the counties in grey yellow and especially red are cowards. All the counties in blue are cool and brave as hell.

E: Fixed the colors:doh:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 27, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fade5 posted:

Crosspost from the gay marriage thread:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20150626-interactive-map-how-texas-counties-are-handling-same-sex-marriage-licenses.ece

All the counties in grey and especially red are cowards. All the counties in blue are cool and brave as hell.

You mean yellow and red are cowards.

Gray is "unknown" which means no info.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm surprised that our idiot county clerk Kara Sands started issuing marriage licenses in Nueces County. But then again, I guess most people realize that the writing is on the wall at this point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

I'm surprised that our idiot county clerk Kara Sands started issuing marriage licenses in Nueces County. But then again, I guess most people realize that the writing is on the wall at this point.

Yeah, a couple of days ago she said she was going to wait on word from the AG.

We have a lawsuit.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Hays County is issuing gay marriage licenses, so chalk another one up for blue (it's grey on the map). Also the wedding industry is big up here in the Hill Country so this will probably be a bit of a boom.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

enraged_camel posted:

You mean yellow and red are cowards.

Gray is "unknown" which means no info.
Fixed. I mixed up colors gud.:downs:

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Hays County is issuing gay marriage licenses, so chalk another one up for blue (it's grey on the map). Also the wedding industry is big up here in the Hill Country so this will probably be a bit of a boom.
Nice to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wichita County also said they'd issue licenses starting Monday. (It's yellow on the map.)