Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Ozz81 posted:

^ Even worse in any IT support

:v: Is your VGA cable plugged into the laptop, or into the dock?
:byodame: YES

This is not a yes or no question, I'm asking WHICH you have the cable plugged into so I can determine where the problem lies :argh:

Ugh tech support. People blindly answer "yes" to everything.

:eng101: have you backed up all your files onto another drive? This procedure could result in you losing all your files.
:byodood: YES
:eng101: we can also back up your data before the procedure just to be safe
:byodood: I DONT NEED IT
:eng101: ok please read and sign this, saying that you are aware that this procedure can result in data loss, and that you have a backup copy of all your files, and also don't want us to back up your files.
:byodood: *signs form*
A few days later...
:byodood: WHERE ARE MY FILES THEY ARE ALL GONE I HAVE NO BACK UPS
:eng99: you said 'yes', that you had a backup

:eng101: have you updated your computer recently
:eng99: *looks at computer, giant obvious sign says YOUR COMPUTER NEEDS 4,000 NEW UPDATES*

:eng101: have you shut down, powered off your computer all the way off in the past few days?
:eng101: *checks logs, computer has not been shut down for seven weeks*
:eng101: I just checked, and it seems like your computer hasn't been shut down for 7 weeks....
:downs: oh yeah I just close the lid, I don't shut it down!
:eng99: ....

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thin Privilege posted:

Ugh tech support. People blindly answer "yes" to everything.

As the one in the family who's "good with computers" I don't know how many times I've heard variations on

:downs: I was trying to do a thing and some message popped up and it wouldn't work.
:geno: Well, what did the message say?
:downs: I don't know.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
This is something that has been happening at work a lot lately. I write contracts for a large company, and one of my clients is very aggravated with my team because some things are changing and they feel they're being kept in the dark. Understandable, but we're trying to work things out and instead of input and feedback, all we get is anger and whining. So they're deliberately ignoring my (polite) requests for clarifications, to their own detriment because honestly, all they're doing is delaying their contracts getting out the door. This is a typical exchange.

I receive a request with no information, so I don't know what they're asking for.

Me: Hey there, John, can you tell me what needs to be put in Contract X for Y company?
John:....
Me: Hey, John, just checking in, I need some clarification on this contract request; it came to me blank. If you let me know what I need I can send it out.
Me: Hey John, I did some digging and I *think* this is what you're asking for but it's hard to say since I don't have all the information I need. Can you confirm or correct?
Me:...
John: WHERE IS MY CONTRACT WHY HAVEN'T YOU SENT IT OUT I'M TELLING YOUR BOSS YOU'RE IGNORING MY REQUESTS.
Me: Hi John, I'd be happy to send out your contract, but can you please tell me what needs to go in it? Please see the attached emails from 6/2, 6/15, and 6/17. Please let me know if you need more information.
John:......
Me: :tears hair out:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
People who don't know how standing in a line works at supermarkets. I'm not a violent person but one day I will get in a shouting match and punch some fucker.

This is my supermarket. There are two registers. Most of the time only one is open, so it looks like this:

Then the second register gets opened. As soon as that happens, apparently there is a new rule for waiting your turn. Which is: It's a new register! The old line doesn't apply any more.

So I, in red, will walk over to the other line with my stuff, of course leaving space for yellow to go ahead (green already has everything on the belt, so it's impractical to switch registers) and will nearly get run down by blue.

But don't you dare tell blue that you were in front of him. Just be lucky that he didn't ram his shopping cart in your ankles on his quest to be firstfirstfirst. Results of talking to blue range from "But it's another register" to "gently caress YOU, IT'S ANOTHER REGISTER".

At least the last time that happened yellow was on my side and told blue what an rear end in a top hat he is.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

RabbitWizard posted:

People who don't know how standing in a line works at supermarkets. I'm not a violent person but one day I will get in a shouting match and punch some fucker.

This is my supermarket. There are two registers. Most of the time only one is open, so it looks like this:

Then the second register gets opened. As soon as that happens, apparently there is a new rule for waiting your turn. Which is: It's a new register! The old line doesn't apply any more.

So I, in red, will walk over to the other line with my stuff, of course leaving space for yellow to go ahead (green already has everything on the belt, so it's impractical to switch registers) and will nearly get run down by blue.

But don't you dare tell blue that you were in front of him. Just be lucky that he didn't ram his shopping cart in your ankles on his quest to be firstfirstfirst. Results of talking to blue range from "But it's another register" to "gently caress YOU, IT'S ANOTHER REGISTER".

At least the last time that happened yellow was on my side and told blue what an rear end in a top hat he is.

In my area, the cashier is on your side.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

This is something that has been happening at work a lot lately. I write contracts for a large company, and one of my clients is very aggravated with my team because some things are changing and they feel they're being kept in the dark. Understandable, but we're trying to work things out and instead of input and feedback, all we get is anger and whining. So they're deliberately ignoring my (polite) requests for clarifications, to their own detriment because honestly, all they're doing is delaying their contracts getting out the door. This is a typical exchange.

I receive a request with no information, so I don't know what they're asking for.

Me: Hey there, John, can you tell me what needs to be put in Contract X for Y company?
Me: Hey, John, just checking in, I need some clarification on this contract request; it came to me blank. If you let me know what I need I can send it out.
Me: Hey John, I did some digging and I *think* this is what you're asking for but it's hard to say since I don't have all the information I need. Can you confirm or correct?
Me:...
John: WHERE IS MY CONTRACT WHY HAVEN'T YOU SENT IT OUT I'M TELLING YOUR BOSS YOU'RE IGNORING MY REQUESTS.
Me: Hi John, I'd be happy to send out your contract, but can you please tell me what needs to go in it? Please see the attached emails from 6/2, 6/15, and 6/17. Please let me know if you need more information.
Me: :tears hair out:

In order to get a report for a client, we need a certain form filled out and the company only accepts the most recent revision of the form. I get a form with a old revision date and I tell the client that they just wont accept it and I need the current form filled out and attached the blank form.

So of course the client went straight to the owner/my boss and freaked out that I refused to help her.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

this is a pretty accurate diagram of my taint

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

OH sorry I should contribute too, I hate it when people say retard or retarded ina derogatory way

KoB
May 1, 2009

quote:

Hey I'm not sure why I'm on this email chain, but feel free to remove me.

And me too! Thx

Me three. Thanks.

So apparently many of us are on this email. Can you please respond ONLY to the sender and not EVERYONE! Thanks!

I agree! Please do not keep me in this loop!!!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of grocery stores...

This is petty, but this happens fairly often to me and it bugs.

When I put groceries on the conveyor belt, I place them down in separate groups so that certain categories of items will be bagged together. The categories are: Frozen Food, Refrigerator Food, Dry Food, and Everything Else. This is because I live in a 3rd floor apartment and it's a trek carrying my groceries up there from the parking lot, so if I have to make two trips, I want to be able to easily grab the bags with the perishables and leave the rest of the bags of unperishables in the car for later.

So how is it that when I get home and open the trunk to get the groceries, they're all mixed up in different bags? Why is my milk in the bag with the laundry detergent? They weren't anywhere near each other on the belt! Why is there cat food with the fresh vegetables? Why are my popsicles with the paper towels? No no no!

Now I have to spend a few minutes in 90 degree heat separating everything properly and meanwhile my popsicles are melting. :qq:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Just bring your own reusable bags and pack things the way you want. Done. Supermarkets around here even give you a tiny discount for each one you bring (I think five cents, but still). The shoulder straps make transporting things a million times easier, as well.

Relatedly, my pet peeve is stores that put every tiny little purchase in a plastic bag if you're not super-vigilant about saying something. Obviously sometimes they're useful, but it's annoying when it's just a bottle of water or a tin of Altoids or something. I'm not an eco-warrior or anything, but come on. The massive purse I carry isn't just for show, it's pretty good at hauling poo poo.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

Speaking of grocery stores...

This is petty, but this happens fairly often to me and it bugs.

When I put groceries on the conveyor belt, I place them down in separate groups so that certain categories of items will be bagged together. The categories are: Frozen Food, Refrigerator Food, Dry Food, and Everything Else. This is because I live in a 3rd floor apartment and it's a trek carrying my groceries up there from the parking lot, so if I have to make two trips, I want to be able to easily grab the bags with the perishables and leave the rest of the bags of unperishables in the car for later.

So how is it that when I get home and open the trunk to get the groceries, they're all mixed up in different bags? Why is my milk in the bag with the laundry detergent? They weren't anywhere near each other on the belt! Why is there cat food with the fresh vegetables? Why are my popsicles with the paper towels? No no no!

Now I have to spend a few minutes in 90 degree heat separating everything properly and meanwhile my popsicles are melting. :qq:

Pretty much this, only at one of the grocery stores I go to there's this one bagging person who I hate, because he never, ever, ever uses his goddamn brain. I'll bring my reusable bags. He'll say "okay! :downs: " and then pack everything into placstic bags anyway. So I don't bring my reusable bags, whatever. But then he goes even more pants on head stupid and bags like he's been lobotomized.

Heavy items stuffed into as few thin plastic bags as possible, none double bagged. Light items double bagged with only one or two light items in each. And god forbid if I say "oh, that's fine I don't need help thanks" then he gets all but hurt and pouts and whines that it's his job and he's gotta do it, so I point out any of the other cashiering lines that don't have a bagger present and he ignores me and keeps shoving my items willy nilly into bags. Goddamn I wish they'd fire that kid. Or at least keep him away from me.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

when people aren't the same colour as me??

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rabbit Hill posted:

Through years of testing I've determined that I can carry 11-15 bags of groceries on each arm. Step up your game and do it in one trip. :colbert:

I'm going to repeat everyone who has brought up indecisiveness. I'm going to strangle the next person that shoots down the place I choose after saying "sure whatever" to the 9 options I list. Fuuuuck yoooooou.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
One of the grocery stores near my house must train their baggers to put one item (and only one item) in each bag. One time I bought a lightbulb with my groceries and the lightbulb got its own bag. Other times I've brought my own bags and the baggers put everything in plastic bags and then into my reusable bags. I get doing that with meat and other stuff that could spill, but they did it with all of my groceries.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Sociopastry posted:

Bagging issues

I went to Target a few weeks ago and bought a bunch of stuff and the cashier shoved it all into one bag which was way over-filled. I had to walk home so I asked her for a second bag so I could redistribute my shopping and not have to carry one over-stuffed bag home and this happened:

:) Can I get a second bag please?

:byodame: Our bags are strong, it won't break.

:) I know, I just want a second bag, please.

:byodame: You don't need one, it won't break.

:geno: Please give me a second bag.

:byodame: Why? You don't need it, this is ridiculous.

:bang: I want a second bag for my shopping, thank you. (At this point I just leant over and took a second plastic bag off the stand-thing on her checkout)

:byodame: (as I'm walking out of the store) You're unbelievable, this is ridculous, why are you so rude!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sociopastry posted:

Heavy items stuffed into as few thin plastic bags as possible, none double bagged.

Several times I've had the opposite of this, where they insist on double-bagging things after I tell them not to.

:downs: I'll double-bag that, it's pretty heavy.
:v: Nah, one's fine.
:downs: Oh, but it's heavy, you don't want the bag to break.
:v: My house is literally a block from here, it'll be fine.
:downs: I'll just double-bag it anyway, just to be safe.

And by that point they've already done it so it's pointless to go on.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why, but the term "salty" used in terms of people being upset/mad just irritates the poo poo out of me. "Don't be so salty!"

(Countdown to someone saying "I don't know why you're so salty about it" or something similar commences... now)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tendai posted:

I don't know why, but the term "salty" used in terms of people being upset/mad just irritates the poo poo out of me. "Don't be so salty!"

(Countdown to someone saying "I don't know why you're so salty about it" or something similar commences... now)

My "salty" peeve is people who pop in to explain the origin of "salty". It's always "it comes from ____" then another goon pops in and says "ACTUALLYYY it's from this" and it keeps going on and on with people saying where they heard it first and none of them will accept that they could possibly be wrong (or, more importantly, that it doesn't loving matter).

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know that arguing about the origin was a thing, that just makes it even more annoying!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tendai posted:

I didn't even know that arguing about the origin was a thing, that just makes it even more annoying!

Oh, it sure is! There's always at least one goober who screams "IT CAME FROM SALTYBET DOT COM WHICH IS A SITE WHERE YOU BET ON COMPUTERS PLAYING VIDEOGAMES, IF YOU LOSE YOUR BET YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE SALT MINES THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED SALTY WHEN YOU'RE MAD"

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

when someone starts reenacting the riff-off from pitch perfect 2 but it's obvious they only know the gist of what people say and not the specific words

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RabbitWizard posted:

There's a supermarket near where I used to live that has 1 single line. As soon as a register opens, whoever is next goes to it. It's the most efficient and fair system ever, which I guess is why no other grocery store uses it.

I've seen that system in use at places like Dick's, TJ Maxx, and other department-style stores, but this is the only grocery store I've seen that uses it, and I'm upset that it's too far away for me to use regularly.

By contrast, the grocery store literally 200 feet from my office (so the one I use 90% of the time,) recently remodeled to maker their registers WORSE. They use to have 4 self-checkout lanes. They never got too far backed up. But they decided to remove them and put in 4 regular "10 items or less" lanes. That would be fine, if they ever had the staff to have them all open. I've never seen more than 2 of them open at a time. In their previous model, one employee could staff all 4 self-checkout lanes, but now they need 4, and only ever have 1 or 2. Plus, they always seem to put the new cashiers there so it takes twice as long because they don't have any PLU codes for produce memorized, aren't authorized to sell booze or smokes, etc...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The final minutes of a meeting that has gone 30 minutes over already. And the head asks if there are any questions.

THE ANSWER IS NO. THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS NO. KEEP YOUR loving HANDS DOWN.

Ask later! Ask the boss about this one-off situation that applies ONLY to you later! We do not all need to listen to your theories about delivery efficiency and gas prices. Stop talking, shut the gently caress up!

"Are there any questions?" when said at the end of the meeting should always be NO.

But there is always some jerkass who has a question that spirals into another twenty. No, we can't just cancel orders if we call the customer and ask if there are any. We DO in fact have to drive over to check, because the customer's contract states we don't get paid for the attempt if we are not physically there to check it out. No, stop making up variables that will never happen, like BUT WHAT IF we are SUPER busy and missing this one stop means we can deliver the human tissue sample on time and save a life! What if we cancel this stop and break the contract but we end up winning the lottery? WHAT IF.

You have your answer, stop trying to find a way around it!

Also, people who inflate their worth. "I might be this BUT I AM ALSO AWESOMELY THIS."

One of the drivers is/was in the police volunteer ranks and is training to be a cop. He is also trained as a first responder. So when out on a delivery last night, he witnessed two cars crashing on the highway. In our uniform, in our branded vehicle, which is NOT related to first responders at all, he raced over to the scene and helped the people out of their cars, taking time to call our dispatch and relay that he was "at the scene of the incident. Two cars collided and spun into the highway divider. No fatalities noted." And completely failed to mention he WAS NOT IN THE loving ACCIDENT. So the dispatcher freaked out, called the main base, called the manager on duty, who is a calm fellow now turned half insane thinking one of our drivers might have been injured bad, and then someone called our direct boss to tell him a driver had been injured in a two-car collision...and the dude is just chilling at the scene and chatting up the police that came to help. It was some time later before people realized he was in fact okay. Because he "turned into his first responded training."

You are working for a loving delivery company! You ARE NOT A COP. loving stop acting like it ...and he had the smirk to be half embarrassed that he caused so many people to rightfully worry because his training "just took over." Right. He could have paralyzed people because he isn't a loving EMT and the cars were out of the way and not going to explode, but he had to get involved and explain everything in the meeting in great detail. The manager on duty was less than happy to see him basking in this glory.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Concerts with local openers when there are already three or more bands on tour. This is especially common with metal shows, which often are part of huge package tours. I appreciate getting more bang for my buck and finding out more about the local scene, but I don't want to sit through some lovely out-of-place band that's here every week when I'm already standing for hours to see four good bands, and even if I show up fashionably late I don't really want to be out until 2 am on a weeknight and then have to wait forever to catch a bus and/or train back to my apartment because they're running every half hour at this point in the night (this is Chicago--I do drive to some shows but it depends on where it is).

There's one venue in the Detroit area that would do this without even mentioning the locals on the website and it would often start way later than advertised on top of it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Concerts with local openers when there are already three or more bands on tour. This is especially common with metal shows, which often are part of huge package tours. I appreciate getting more bang for my buck and finding out more about the local scene, but I don't want to sit through some lovely out-of-place band that's here every week when I'm already standing for hours to see four good bands, and even if I show up fashionably late I don't really want to be out until 2 am on a weeknight and then have to wait forever to catch a bus and/or train back to my apartment because they're running every half hour at this point in the night (this is Chicago--I do drive to some shows but it depends on where it is).

There's one venue in the Detroit area that would do this without even mentioning the locals on the website and it would often start way later than advertised on top of it.

On the topic of opening acts, it bugs me when they act more like divas than the band people actually paid to see. I saw The Decemberists a few weeks ago, and Father John Misty opened. He was... okay. Nothing special, but decent enough music to vaguely listen to while my friends and I talked and got our buzz on. However, the back drop/ projection for his act was a giant "No Photography" sign, and he reminded people several times not to take pictures or recordings of him. I understand why he didn't want that, and I think it's incredibly lame when people go to see live music and then spend the entire show staring at their phone screen while they take potato-quality videos that no one will ever watch. But the backdrop just seemed so incredibly presumptuous. I don't think anyone was planning on it, guy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

On the topic of opening acts, it bugs me when they act more like divas than the band people actually paid to see. I saw The Decemberists a few weeks ago, and Father John Misty opened. He was... okay. Nothing special, but decent enough music to vaguely listen to while my friends and I talked and got our buzz on. However, the back drop/ projection for his act was a giant "No Photography" sign, and he reminded people several times not to take pictures or recordings of him. I understand why he didn't want that, and I think it's incredibly lame when people go to see live music and then spend the entire show staring at their phone screen while they take potato-quality videos that no one will ever watch. But the backdrop just seemed so incredibly presumptuous. I don't think anyone was planning on it, guy.

Isn't that the kind of poo poo that they tell people before they walk in if it's really that big of a deal to the artist? I guess since he's the opener he doesn't have the power to get the venue to kick people out for it like Neutral Milk Hotel?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The goon in the well analogy works all over all paths of life.

I need it on a T Shirt.

In short, when you ask for advice and people point out the flaw in your plan, listen to the flaws, don't barge ahead because your mind is made up.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
My most recent pet peeve is people who hold REALLY STRONG opinions about how something should be done, even when there are glaringly obvious holes in the logic of it. For example, I live with my sister, and she loves to cook, which is great! But she's ridiculously adamant that you can't store hot (or even warm) food in the fridge, you have to let it cool to room temperature, uncovered, first because if it's covered in the fridge it will stay warm way too long and be in the ~temperature danger zone~. Which is fine, whatever... the problem is that she likes to cook pretty late, and we both go to bed early, so often I'll wake up to find that leftover food has been left "to cool" on the counter or stove. Uncovered. All night. Which means it was in the loving temperature danger zone for like EIGHT HOURS instead of however long it would take to cool down in the fridge! GOD drat IT!!! It makes no loving sense! But god forbid you try to put something away while it's still warm!

By the way the term "temperature danger zone" also annoys the poo poo out of me. Not the concept itself, I'm solid on that, just that loving term.

Another thing that has been royally pissing me off for a while now is my bosses' tendency to turn me down for promotions, tell me "we want you to work more on X", and then give the promotion to someone else who is also terrible at X.

:colbert: Sorry, we chose someone else. We need someone with really good communication skills. You need to work on that.
:confused: Ok, I will. Who got it?
:colbert: Well we gave it to our drinking buddy who can't talk to anyone without being a condescending rear end.
:confused: The one who just stands around all day?
:colbert: Lol yeah

:colbert: So you've really improved a lot and we think you're great and all, but you get nervous in interviews and we're concerned that might affect how you handle difficult customers, so we promoted someone else.
:confused: Umm that's weird because I deal with difficult customers all the time with no problems, and that has nothing to do with my weirdly specific anxiety? But ok. Who?
:colbert: We gave it to that super shy, quiet girl who only works two days a week and it going back to school in 6 months!
:confused: This seems like a bad plan in the long term...
:colbert: Yeah lol but she's really cute

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I have bad luck getting bosses who get insane over weird little crap, while basically being an unruly slob, or an idiot. I'm using a current boss as an example, but it's things I've seen through multiple jobs. Right now, I have a boss who is training to take over for a temp manager at my store, the future boss has taken over two months to train. The temp boss is great, a fun guy. The new boss is an ex-military type, who has told me he will "whip the store into shape," then gave me lower numbers then we were currently making.

So as for the pet peeves:
-Being overly anal about little things, like worn shoes, but ignores large things like blocked emergency exits, missing eye wash bottles, mold, direct warnings from OSHA about poo poo not to do, etc.

-Taking 3 smoke breaks in a 2 hour time period, lasting at least 15 minutes each with the asst. Manager, leaving another employee alone during a rush.

-Telling me not to do something while doing that exact thing with the asst Manager, and not realizing he's doing it, so it's not a "hey, don't do this thing I'm demonstrating" situation. A big example is uniform violations, which I have cleared with other bosses, who are above him (like not having an official shirt, when I was never given one). I have not once seen him in his uniform.

-Threatening to write me up for rules bosses above him have said are in place for safety purposes, I.E. locking the doors when I am not in a place to see them

-Threatening to fire me for the above reason when we have 4 full time employees, 3 of which overlap the same 6 hours on 3 days, and then over lap on other days as well, the rest of the employees are on loan from other stores. I do not overlap hours with anyone. Basically we have 4 days with 6 hours that need to be filled by out of store workers, and 2 days with 8 hours that need to be filled by out of store workers. Firing me would gently caress over a bunch of stores and people.

-Pulling the "let me buy you ______ item, since you can't seem to afford it," bullshit, that they will use to guilt trip you later, "hey you should respect me even when I'm a shitlord, because I was nice enough to buy you something." Hey idiot, I haven't bought new shoes, not because I'm to poor, but because my size is oddly hard to find in a style that is comfortable, but thanks for flaunting how you make so much more then me.

-Contradicting their statements almost immediately. I wasn't there for it, but future boss popped out of the bathroom one morning and walked over to two of the morning employees and screamed "one of you needs to get in the bathroom and change the towels, NOW." Already a dick move to be so aggressive about it, but two things: 1) he made a big statement about how he wasn't beneath doing things the employees do, and 2) one of the people he yelled at was the temp manager, who outranks him. Future boss changed the towels.

The future boss is starting to pick up a bad rep though, I've actually been told by the temp boss to ignore what he says until he actually runs the store, which is something.

I've seen these things at other places, maybe not as severe, but they're still present. That guilt gift though is a big one, I fell for that at my first job and just refuse all gifts at this point, unless everyone else gets something as well.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The backhanded compliment where you are denied a raise, promotion, or transfer because "if you left here, we'd have to hire two people to replace you." So the job goes to someone else who does less so it's easier to replace him.

The gently caress do you say to poo poo like that? Thanks? Thanks for telling me I am so awesome and giving the spot I've been trying to get for seven years waiting for some old batshit to retire to a brand new guy who is hated by everyone because he's a loving creeper and only talks/whispers to female employees while standing almost on them and breathing right on them?

If you can't be replaced you can't be promoted.

Bonus Peeve: being asked in an interview what you will do if you don't get the promotion, and the manager/interviewer asking you more than once because he wants to be loving sure you said you would do still what you normally do while feeding you the lines if you indicate otherwise, you could lose your job entirely.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't that the kind of poo poo that they tell people before they walk in if it's really that big of a deal to the artist? I guess since he's the opener he doesn't have the power to get the venue to kick people out for it like Neutral Milk Hotel?

Yeah, usually if the artist feels that strongly about it the venue will tell you way ahead of time. Apparently he has a thing about it at his own shows, but yeah, I'm guessing as the opener he couldn't do anything. Kind of hard to enforce a no photography clause when the main act brings a giant whale puppet out on stage.

I mean, I've never been one to take pictures at concerts to begin with, it's no big deal to respect what the artist wants. And in this case it was a big outdoor venue, putting up with a lame opening act wasn't nearly as bad as it would be at a smaller place. Nothing's worse than being at a small club show and having the first of two openers get snarky with the crowd for not giving them their utmost attention. It's like, you're a musician, I assume you've seen a few gigs in your time, and I assume you drank your way through the opening acts along with everybody else.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Cowslips Warren posted:

The backhanded compliment where you are denied a raise, promotion, or transfer because "if you left here, we'd have to hire two people to replace you." So the job goes to someone else who does less so it's easier to replace him.

The gently caress do you say to poo poo like that? Thanks? Thanks for telling me I am so awesome and giving the spot I've been trying to get for seven years waiting for some old batshit to retire to a brand new guy who is hated by everyone because he's a loving creeper and only talks/whispers to female employees while standing almost on them and breathing right on them?

If you can't be replaced you can't be promoted.

Bonus Peeve: being asked in an interview what you will do if you don't get the promotion, and the manager/interviewer asking you more than once because he wants to be loving sure you said you would do still what you normally do while feeding you the lines if you indicate otherwise, you could lose your job entirely.

I was once passed over for a research trip because my coworker (who's usually super meticulous and conscientious) had been flaking out on work for weeks, not bothering to show up or communicate with anyone, and when another coworker mentioned he was surprised at the decision, my boss said he couldn't trust her to take care of our animals if I went. I was bummed, but he had a point.

As to your bonus, I wonder what would happen if you strongly insinuate that you would start to look for a job that could challenge you and actually use your skills (assuming you've outgrown your current position)?

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ugh, this, or the thematically similar "of course we always give you *the shittiest, hardest shift*, you're just so good at it!" Thanks rear end in a top hat, I guess it's easier to stick me in this awful shift every loving day than to actually hold everyone else accountable for half-assing it.

Ooh ooh, I thought of another one: when someone INSISTS on continuing a joke that has long since lost its charm/humor, or never had any in the first place. Even worse when it's very much a "you had to be there" thing. The other day I was out with a group of friends, and this one rear end in a top hat managed to come of with the most contrived, convoluted, situation-specific joke. I guess in some far-off universe it may have had some tiny glimmer of humor to it the first time, if you suck at jokes. But then she HAD to keep bringing it up, over and over, adding to it every time, completely oblivious to the fact that nobody else really found it funny. And for loving days she would KEEP bringing it up to me! In public, loudly, in that way that it's completely obvious she's trying to get other people to ask about it. And when they did, of course she had to go through the whole loving convoluted explanation of how this wannabe inside joke came about! If the explanation for the joke is twenty times longer than the loving joke itself (which nobody is even laughing at) maybe it's time to take a hint and loving drop it, jesus loving christ.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Enough people have talked about mouth-opened eaters in this thread, but I had a rough one at work the other day.

This is a place that pays poo poo and has no benefits, so they let a lot of other things slide. Like people can play MOBAs on their laptops when they should be training me; or wear tank tops or jerseys with no undershirts, and shoes with no socks. So the place already has this drone like feeling full of BO.

Friday is PIZZA DAY, which is in lieu, once again, of real benefits. They got Pizza Hut.

If you're familiar with pizza hut's pan pizza, you'll know that it's basically like a grease sponge with a crispy crust.

So the guy right next to me was digging in. It was still super hot, so you'd think he'd wait a bit right? NOPE! He dug right in; so I got the sound of crunching, squishing, homfing, chomping, and inhaling/exhaling to cool it all in one motion. For like 5 minutes.

Nowadays, I'm next to a guy that has the loudest voice in the whole place; but he eats with his mouth closed, and I thank him every day for it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I think the only thing that could eventually make em snap and kill my SO if the fact that he eats with his mouth open. Apparently it's automatic and he doesn't realize he's doing it, but every time he does I just want to grab his jaw and close it and show him manually how to chew with his goddamn mouth closed.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Nothing's worse than being at a small club show and having the first of two openers get snarky with the crowd for not giving them their utmost attention. It's like, you're a musician, I assume you've seen a few gigs in your time, and I assume you drank your way through the opening acts along with everybody else.

Once at a Misfits/Reverend Horton Heat show the singer from one of the opening acts got in my face and sneered at me to smile. I wore the most over the top exaggerated frown for the rest of their lovely set.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

The gently caress do you say to poo poo like that?

"I quit"

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Gas pumps that ask you 8,000 questions before you can pump your gas.

Pay inside or outside?
Do you have a grocery store bonus card?
Do you have a [gas station credit card]?
Debit or credit?
Zip code?
Car wash?
Receipt?

And of course it has to pause for like 30 seconds between questions. Just let me swipe my drat card and pump my gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Must be annoying every time u have to help a customer