Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, what's the invisible switch, and what's map33? Unfortunately, I didn't grow up with as much Doom as everyone else and still learn new things today, which is actually kind of awesome.
The guy responsible for the Doom 2 port included in the XBox version of Doom 3 decided to insert his own Baby's First Map as MAP33, complete with a new secret switch to access it.

There's also a E1M10 included in the Doom 1 port, which is arguably even worse.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Linguica posted:

The guy responsible for the Doom 2 port in the BFG edition decided to insert his own Baby's First Map as MAP33, complete with a new secret switch to access it.

The switch itself is a completely non-descript piece of wall in Map02, which is a good indicator for the quality of the map you access using it.

E: Also it was the guy who ported Doom2 to the original Xbox to be included with the Xbox port of Doom 3. The BFG edition just uses that same wad because ID is primarily composed of lazy hacks.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Close, it was actually his first map from 1995 and he was the coder for Doom I/II for the Doom 3 For Xbox release. The other lead programmer for Doom 3 for Xbox also hid his 94 map in the Doom 1 port, as E1M10, both can be downloaded and played from this awful looking website

MAP33 is included in BFG edition/XBLA Doom 2 but isn't reachable since they broke the switch behaviour, and E1M10 was removed from both BFG and XBLA Doom 1.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 29, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Linguica posted:

There's also a E1M10 included in the Doom 1 port, which is arguably even worse.

lol

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh man I am definitely playing that, Betray was so bad it was hilarious.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wonder why more Doom ports don't have split-screen multiplayer. Seems like it would be trivial enough, even though it would also require better controller support.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

Close, it was actually his first map from 1995 and he was the coder for Doom I/II for the Doom 3 For Xbox release. The other lead programmer for Doom 3 for Xbox also hid his 94 map in the Doom 1 port, as E1M10, both can be downloaded and played from this awful looking website

MAP33 is included in BFG edition/XBLA Doom 2 but isn't reachable since they broke the switch behaviour, and E1M10 was removed from both BFG and XBLA Doom 1.

Heads up, if you want to play Sewers (the doom 1 map) from this download link, the provided .wad puts it in the slot for E3M1.

Also having played it I would say his E1M10 is actually better than Map33, there's less laughably bad stuff and it's just a mediocre map.

Geight fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 29, 2015

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Colon Semicolon posted:

y'know I can't find any real reason to wanna mess with BFG edition after I figured out that it's an unmoddable nightmare. I don't suppose anybody's got some good recommendations for making Doom 3 more interesting? I have sikkmod and the various texture additions already (parallax is so cool holy poo poo), but what else can I shove on top of this?

Doom 3 BFG is entirely open source, what's an unmoddable nightmare about it? It is completely moddable. https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3-BFG

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

spongeh posted:

Doom 3 BFG is entirely open source, what's an unmoddable nightmare about it? It is completely moddable. https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3-BFG

extra code cannot be run via DLLs which break alot of things, pk4 is no longer supported in favor of streamed media .resources, and from what I was testing you can't simply change game script files to get any sort of results. Someone made a mod loader, sure, but only 5 mods have been converted to work with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I wonder why more Doom ports don't have split-screen multiplayer. Seems like it would be trivial enough, even though it would also require better controller support.

You know what still pisses me off? Duke Nukem 3D for XBLA has ZERO splitscreen support, despite Doom 1 and 2 both having it. What the hell? I know they're not the same engine, but come on, it's do-able.

So many Duke matches would have happened... so many...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

ZDoom stuff lets you have more secret maps and have them enterable from more levels than the standard two.
I know, but I was referring to vanilla/Boom-compatible WADs, which make up the majority of the megaWADs that garnered attention over the decades (because it's basically the easiest way to ensure your maps are playable on everyone's source port).

In addition, it sometimes feels like the whole "only secret exit in the main 30 maps is in MAP15, with another secret exit in the secret level (MAP31) that takes you to" schtick tends to just result in "okay, MAP31 is an interesting/unique map, and MAP32 is a really hard slaughtermap because everybody loved "Go 2 It" right" these days.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's a bit of a mixed bag. Most of the code is designed around there being only one controllable player per node. The Xbox/XBLA code-base got around this by turning most of the globals into a C++ class, and then just swaps the classes for reach rendering routine, while the netcode is left to handle controlling 4 players. It's kind of a weird "run 4 sessions" hybrid where it just runs the playsim once.
There's a bit of a problem in repeating this behaviour in other ports, however. Chocolate-Doom is still written in ANSI C, so it can't use classes (It's also Chocolate-Doom, and thus wont), and on the opposite end, ZDoom has 15 years of code assuming it never could, and the renderer/sound/a bunch of other stuff was only designed as one instance, so that's locked off as well.

TL;DR Doom wasn't designed to run in splitscreen, so the source ports weren't designed to either. Xbox/XBLA port struck gold in being able to use classes in an engine that hasn't used any. And dedicated development time for the feature.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 29, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I'm pretty sure Doom Legacy still supports split screen. On the other hand, that engine has been mostly a buggy slurry of gimmick features since it still ran on DOS.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
And also, Doom is simply better than Duke. :smugdog:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I kind of miss when people were still releasing high-profile projects in Legacy and EDGE and you had to have like four or five ports to catch up on everything.

Actually I don't miss it and I really prefer "pretty much all the levels are boom-compat" but still, memories.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rocket Pan posted:

It's a bit of a mixed bag. Most of the code is designed around there being only one controllable player per node. The Xbox/XBLA code-base got around this by turning most of the globals into a C++ class, and then just swaps the classes for reach rendering routine, while the netcode is left to handle controlling 4 players. It's kind of a weird "run 4 sessions" hybrid where it just runs the playsim once.
There's a bit of a problem in repeating this behaviour in other ports, however. Chocolate-Doom is still written in ANSI C, so it can't use classes (It's also Chocolate-Doom, and thus wont), and on the opposite end, ZDoom has 15 years of code assuming it never could, and the renderer/sound/a bunch of other stuff was only designed as one instance, so that's locked off as well.

TL;DR Doom wasn't designed to run in splitscreen, so the source sports weren't designed to either. Xbox/XBLA port struck gold in being able to use classes in an engine that hasn't used any. And dedicated development time for the feature.

Except Doom was from the start and split screen wasn't patched out til pretty late in development, mostly for performance reasons. It's the main reason why rendering and logic are separated to the degree they are.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

dis astranagant posted:

Except Doom was from the start and split screen wasn't patched out til pretty late in development, mostly for performance reasons. It's the main reason why rendering and logic are separated to the degree they are.

Uhm... source please? There's nothing anywhere about this in the Doom Wiki, and there certainly isn't any signs of such functions in the Alphas.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 29, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh, looks like I was thinking of that dumb faux VR mode for 3 monitors that worked up until 1.2 broke some networking stuff it required.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
I made a small map for the joe ilya project on Doomworld, anyone want to test it before it's finalised?

map here http://www.mediafire.com/download/xa5haft0ym4wqp6/joe3V009.wad
requires Gothictx textures http://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures.shtml

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Szymanski posted:

I made a small map for the joe ilya project on Doomworld, anyone want to test it before it's finalised?

map here http://www.mediafire.com/download/xa5haft0ym4wqp6/joe3V009.wad
requires Gothictx textures http://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures.shtml

Welp, you certainly don't gently caress around with the difficulty. :stare:

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Klaus88 posted:

Welp, you certainly don't gently caress around with the difficulty. :stare:

I've toned it down from earlier revisions, I tried to make the orange key really challenging by adding archviles :boom: :supaburn:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

According to that page though, you can only successfully get it if you run it with ZDoom or Eternity Engine, so it's not a feature of the original engine.

Yes, but it's a feature in some engines which got updated to handle the BFG edition IWADs. I don't think Choco does it, but I believe Crispy Doom and Doom Retro do, for example.

Wait, what's the invisible switch, and what's map33? Unfortunately, I didn't grow up with as much Doom as everyone else and still learn new things today, which is actually kind of awesome.

The invisible switch is in one of the monster closets on MAP02. IIRC, when you grab the red key from the window, it's in the gray closet to the right, the one that opens on two sides. Just hump its inner walls like you were in Wolf 3D and you'll find it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

15-year anniversary of Deus Ex retrospective, plus interviews with Spector and others.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2015/06/26/dx15-the-legacy-of-deus-ex

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Rocket Pan posted:

Also on PC you could just run two copies with different controller configurations and have them talk using sockets so it's kinda pointless.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Except you can't, since neither works properly if they're not the focused window (at least in Windows.) GZdoom freezes the renderer and input, ZDoom freezes input.

Blzut3
Jun 14, 2014

Rocket Pan posted:

ZDoom has 15 years of code assuming it never could, and the renderer/sound/a bunch of other stuff was only designed as one instance, so that's locked off as well.
Fun fact, ZDoom's renderer can be run on multiple view points and drawn to difference canvases. Renderer wise split screen is possible. I think Edward850 toyed with it and had a weird flickering problem with psrites, but I don't recall if that was an GZDoom OpenGL, Direct3D HW2D, or whatever problem.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the problem with doing split screen is just a user experience one. None of the developers want to put in the required effort. Or I suppose another way to put the problem is that programmers don't have enough friends for it to be a personally relevant problem. :P

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I played through episode 1 of Quake! Using Quakespasm and playing on normal difficulty, as recommended here. That was a fun slice of game right there. All the environmental stuff took me by surprise, like the way walls might move around or a stairway would kind of drop into the floor. And the Tomb Raider-esque death traps! There's this sense you don't get in Doom that the levels themselves hate you. Having a blast and can't wait to get into episode 2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh man, played some Deus Ex on my lunch at work, first time in probably 10 years. So clunky, and I'm so bad, but I still love it.

Any way to change the field of view? I'd love something like 75-90, instead of the 5 that it seems to be right now.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Oh man, played some Deus Ex on my lunch at work, first time in probably 10 years. So clunky, and I'm so bad, but I still love it.

Any way to change the field of view? I'd love something like 75-90, instead of the 5 that it seems to be right now.

Use Deus Exe, it'll set up everything for you and auto-scale the HUD.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Crack open System/user.ini in a text editor and look for these lines:
code:
DesiredFOV=75.000000 
DefaultFOV=75.000000
then change the number on both to whatever you want. WSGF recommend 90 for 16:9 resolutions.

EDIT: Actually, yeah, use Deus Exe. It's great.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Stop downing every bottle of wine, beer, and zyme you come across… :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks, all! :toot:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Minidust posted:

I played through episode 1 of Quake! Using Quakespasm and playing on normal difficulty, as recommended here. That was a fun slice of game right there. All the environmental stuff took me by surprise, like the way walls might move around or a stairway would kind of drop into the floor. And the Tomb Raider-esque death traps! There's this sense you don't get in Doom that the levels themselves hate you. Having a blast and can't wait to get into episode 2.

I'm glad you're liking it so much! It's an awesome game that has fantastic map design and movement.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I'm feeling a need to get into Duke Nukem, I see a few different purchasing options for Duke 3D, GOG.com is $5.99, and steam has a "Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition" release in 2013 for $9.99, and "Duke Nukem 3D" released in 2014 1996 for $24.99. . . What is going on? I am most tempted to purchase the game from GOG, but I would like to have it in my steam library for the steam play feature since someday for the past 10 years I would like to swtich to Linux or Steam OS, can I import a purchase from GOG to steam?

Similarly, I am pretty surprised that on Amazon.com, Duke Nukem Forever is the standard $19.99 for a digital download, but for $7 I can use prime and have a boxed DVD mailed to me. . . which would have a key that I could then import into steam.

Is there anything obvious I am missing from my plan? The only thing I can think of is that the $9.99 steam version is probably the 2010 refresh, GOG is probably the 1996 release, and who knows what is going on with the $24.99 steam pack.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Get the Megaton edition. It has functional netplay, a nifty rewind feature, and various enhancements to be playable on modern systems. It also includes the original game data files so you can throw eduke32 and all your favorite mods at it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm feeling a need to get into Duke Nukem, I see a few different purchasing options for Duke 3D, GOG.com is $5.99, and steam has a "Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition" release in 2013 for $9.99, and "Duke Nukem 3D" released in 2014 1996 for $24.99. . . What is going on? I am most tempted to purchase the game from GOG, but I would like to have it in my steam library for the steam play feature since someday for the past 10 years I would like to swtich to Linux or Steam OS, can I import a purchase from GOG to steam?

Similarly, I am pretty surprised that on Amazon.com, Duke Nukem Forever is the standard $19.99 for a digital download, but for $7 I can use prime and have a boxed DVD mailed to me. . . which would have a key that I could then import into steam.

Is there anything obvious I am missing from my plan? The only thing I can think of is that the $9.99 steam version is probably the 2010 refresh, GOG is probably the 1996 release, and who knows what is going on with the $24.99 steam pack.

Megaton has the original game and the three expansion packs, while the others don't.

For actually playing, Megaton is a decent source port, but for any sort of custom content, you'll want EDuke32, which is the gold standard for Duke modding. If you download EDuke32, it'll automatically detect your Duke3D data from your Megaton installation, so you won't need to make a copy of the data and put it in your EDuke32 folder.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Crotch Fruit posted:

That $24.99 version has Duke, Duke 2, Duke 3D (not Megaton Edition it looks like?), Manhattan Project and Balls of Steel. If you're going just for shooters, just pick up the Megaton Edition, as Duke 1, 2 and Manhattan Project are side-scrollers and Balls of Steel is a pinball game.

I personally liked Forever for the most part, but it's also divisive enough that I find it difficult to recommend. Also the Octobrains are more annoying and every level with them as the main enemy is pretty drat bad.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm feeling a need to get into Duke Nukem, I see a few different purchasing options for Duke 3D, GOG.com is $5.99, and steam has a "Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition" release in 2013 for $9.99, and "Duke Nukem 3D" released in 2014 1996 for $24.99. . . What is going on?
The "regular" Duke 3D on Steam isn't available on its own, only as part of the Kill-A-Ton Collection (which also includes the 2D platformers Duke 1, 2, and Manhattan Project, and the pinball game Balls of Steel) or the 3D Realms Anthology, hence the higher price. It uses the original DOS executable running in DOSBox. The Megaton Edition comes with an updated engine with modern features like widescreen and proper mouselook, has Steam Workshop support for extra maps, and Steamworks multiplayer. Both versions include the Plutonium Pak, Caribbean, Nuclear Winter, and Duke It Out in DC expansions, but the Kill-A-Ton/Anthology version also includes the Duke!Zone 2 expansion.

I'd reccomend going with the Megaton Edition. The only thing the other version has over it is the inclusion of Duke!Zone 2, which, while I kind of like it, is far from essential. You'll still get plenty of play out of the base game and the other expansions, and Megaton is otherwise just better and easier to deal with in every way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't suppose you guys know if the megaton edition engine has controller support do you? Eduke32's is spotty at best from what I've been able to manage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Megaton Edition does, since it's a port of the 360 game.

I wonder why Doom is the only game to have a good source port.