Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I dunno if I'm just doing it wrong but I don't think you can do a distortion with Virgil's shoryu-reppa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

AccountingNightmare posted:

I just took Lady, Trish and Vergil for a spin. Holy poo poo. They're all amazingly unique but Trish might be my fav so far. Her ground slam move is what Dante's should have been. The Round Trip stun locks and then the ground slam just covers the screen with lightning and everything explodes oh god.

I also forgot to mention in my last post that they didn't fix Dante's DT distortion and I'm happy.

Well they "fixed" it in DMC4 on PC in the sense that it doesn't bug out the graphics. Essentially that was officially endorsing it as a feature, rather than a bug.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Just finished playing through the SE with Nero/Dante. The motion blur and depth of field blurring are starting to get to me and I really hope they release a patch soon, because while people have found a way to turn them off it involves hex editing. :waycool:

Most of the changes I noticed were very minor but might as well list them:

The game vomits up Red Orbs like no tomorrow. I bought all the Blue Orbs and Purple Orbs long before I finished my first playthrough.
As I noted before, the Speed ability now kicks in almost immediately which is awesome. It also seems to be a bit context sensitive. I was afraid it'd screw me up while doing the laser puzzles in Missions 9 & 10 but it didn't kick in. It also didn't kick in during the disappearing platform segments in Mission 7. It did kick in during the Free Running Secret Mission but apart from that it did all the right things. Great change.
Trickstering off a ledge no longer triggers the long jump into Speed ability, presumably because you don't need to do that anymore. Streak and Stinger off a ledge still do it though.
The tutorial against Dante at the start of the game is now tied to the Tutorial menu option, so you skip it if you turn tutorials off. This does make sense but you miss out on most of the Nero vs Dante cutscenes as a result which is a shame.
Boss music now fades out when the end of boss cutscene starts instead of ending abruptly.
I don't know if they changed Gladius AI but I had a bit of trouble in the Containment Room despite upgrading Snatch to level 3. The buggers dodged 90% of my Snatches. It's been a long time since I did the Containment Room though so this might not actually be a change.
Secret Missions are now no longer present for characters who can't do them. Very good change. Now people won't be wandering into the Royal Guard Secret Mission as Nero and wondering wtf a Royal Block is.
The final buster against Sanctus in Mission 20 bugged and didn't give me the triple-replay effect or the Jackpot! I haven't tried it again yet.
Only one save slot.
There's an extra message at the end of the game thanking you for playing. :3:

Again it's mostly dumb small stuff. Now to play through as Lady/Trish. :hellyeah:

Long jumps also don't happen if you run off a ledge with Speed going. You have to use streak/stinger.
You have to go through the lost woods 4 times instead of 3.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, I came out of that Credo no damage run with a newfound appreciation for the fight, and its intricacies. He keeps you on your toes, and makes you feel really good when you get him down.

I got the opposite feeling from doing the same run on Dante.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbPFkl3AlQ

I'm seriously gonna have to give this another shot without doing Lunar Phase/Blistering Swords xN. Kinda funny how easy it is to break him though. If I didn't drop that loop in the corner, I'm pretty sure I could've kept him there forever.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I am really bad at this game but I'm having a very good time.

I haven't played it since it originally came out (and I didn't play it much then), and I think playing so much Revengeance in the meantime has broken my brain. Nero doesn't seem very mobile, and I keep expecting there to be an "oh poo poo" button like Raiden's active defense.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What is the timing on sanctus final fight for the buster? Is it instaneous so I tap right as he touches me or do I need to give it some time?

Also did they retool the fight? Because memory of it was in the final form he slashes at you twice after charging up sparda but now he takes a good 8-10 swipes at me which wrecked me up something fierce my first few attempts especially since it felt like he stunlocked me on those hits.

I miss DmCs menu select for secret missions so that game has two things over DMC4 now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I haven't played it since it originally came out (and I didn't play it much then), and I think playing so much Revengeance in the meantime has broken my brain. Nero doesn't seem very mobile, and I keep expecting there to be an "oh poo poo" button like Raiden's active defense.

Once you get Dante you'll probably feel a bit better. He has both an active defense and a high-mobility option. Nero is slower and more focused around his Buster.

Barudak posted:

What is the timing on sanctus final fight for the buster? Is it instaneous so I tap right as he touches me or do I need to give it some time?

When he is character up there is a brief moment in his animation where he 'tenses' up right before he charges at you. I've found that is the moment to hit it but YMMV (and it depends slightly on distance too.)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

RichterIX posted:

Go to the options menu, turn on Turbo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And the oh poo poo button is jumping and table hopper. Since that gives you a modicum of i frames, table hopper though gives a lot more plus style to boot.

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:
Apparently the DoF and motion blur can be disabled on the PC version but you need to take a hex editor to the .exe.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Capcom: "Please buy our hideous sniped baby abortion because we lost so much goddamn money on it please"

I mean if I have to be completely honest the DmC re-release is way better than dmc4 special edition is

DmC re-release genuinely tried to fix more or less every bad part of the game besides the cut-scenes (and even a few of those have been tweaked) and stuff like the new hardcore mode, 60 FPs and an actual lock on really do go a long way

DMC4 SE can't even be assed to include the featureless white void training room DmC has or remove the timer on bloody palace, features literally everyone wants and which would take all of 10 minutes to code, let alone fix the many many other issues the game has.

Don't get me wrong even with all the improvements there's still not really much of a reason to play DmC over other games in the genre, but I kinda feel the exact same way about dmc4 even if it is still slightly better (if only because DmC went from an F to a C while dmc4 is still a B-), in that I wanna shelf both games and just go back to playing bayonetta/dmc3/godhand/ninja gaiden/viewtiful joe for the eleven billionth time

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

Hi, I bought DMC4SE but I'm stuck with a keyboard. Is anybody in the same situation? Would like hear what configs you use, I can't get used to default no matter what.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Buy a controller, join the 21st century!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

DMC4 SE can't even be assed to include the featureless white void training room DmC has or remove the timer on bloody palace, features literally everyone wants and which would take all of 10 minutes to code, let alone fix the many many other issues the game has.

I'm fine with the timer on the Blood Palace and enjoy it being there, so I'm not really sure what you mean.

Beyond that however, no, the DMC4SE is a lot better. The additional characters add a lot more to the game that the minor tweaks to DmC:DE. The DmC changes are attempts to fix serious problems to the game but they're lipstick on a pig to put it bluntly and at the end of the day a lot of the core design problems are still there. DMC4SE has fewer changes but more significant ones.

It isn't even a close comparison. DMC4:SE is a much better SE even if it had fewer changes.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The DmC changes are attempts to fix serious problems to the game but they're lipstick on a pig to put it bluntly and at the end of the day a lot of the core design problems are still there.

like?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

-Really awful bosses. (Only Vergil got any kind of meaningful improvement and he already was one of the better bosses in the game.)

-Poor enemy design in general. Significantly worse than any game in the franchise (except DMC2, because at no point does DmC do anything worse than DMC2 except sniper rifle abortions)

-Angel weapons are still significantly worse than Devil weapons even with all the combined nerfs and buffs.

-Gun weapons are likewise similarly still quite crap, even with buffs.

-General poor combat mechanics. This is probably the thing improved the most with the various tweaks to the game. It's a significant improvement but still well behind DMC1/3/4.

-Level design that is so heavily focused on 'story setpieces' that it leads to boring things like the level where you follow Kat around pulling on things or the level where you chase the car through Bullet Time for no clear reason.

I mean don't get me wrong. DmC:DE does do a fair bit to improve the game, but the core problem is that DmC is still well well behind the other games in the franchise and it still has a lot of fundimental core design problems.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 29, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I mean don't get me wrong. DmC:DE does do a fair bit to improve the game, but the core problem is that DmC is still well well behind the other games in the franchise and it still has a lot of fundimental core design problems.

I meant it when I said even with the improvements DmC is still kind of a dumb game and probably not worth your time, however taking into account "amount previous game has improved" and the fact that dmc4 has literally nothing going for it outside beyond the character movelists I still gotta say that DmC DE is a better game than dmc4 SE, if only because I wanna encourage them actually trying to fix things.

I mean, frankly, most of your complaints apply 100% to dmc4.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
DMC4:SE disabled the quick quitting Alt+F4 shortcut, pretty heinous if you ask me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

No, they really don't. You tossed this out without even thinking about it and it's pretty clear that you're more interested in making snarking comments than having an actual discussion because you want to keep making weird backhanded comments about DMC4 and how much you dislike it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

DMC4:SE disabled the quick quitting Alt+F4 shortcut, pretty heinous if you ask me.

And no quit to desktop option :rip:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

There's a quit to desktop thing on the title screen I'm pretty sure.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Best Girl posted:

There's a quit to desktop thing on the title screen I'm pretty sure.

Disgusting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is a weird-as-hell thing to remove.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I just alt-tab out and then close it on the taskbar. :shobon:

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

RichterIX posted:

Another "oh poo poo" button for Nero is activating Devil Trigger once you get it. When he Triggers, it either stuns or knocks nearby enemies into the air and also gives him some invincibility frames.

ImpAtom posted:

That is a weird-as-hell thing to remove.

It's probably because the game now autosaves instead of letting you choose to save. They want you to have to back out to the menu which will trigger an autosave. It's still a questionable change though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's probably because the game now autosaves instead of letting you choose to save. They want you to have to back out to the menu which will trigger an autosave. It's still a questionable change though.

Hm. That makes sense but yeah, I'd rather keep it in and toggle autosave honestly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

I meant it when I said even with the improvements DmC is still kind of a dumb game and probably not worth your time, however taking into account "amount previous game has improved" and the fact that dmc4 has literally nothing going for it outside beyond the character movelists I still gotta say that DmC DE is a better game than dmc4 SE, if only because I wanna encourage them actually trying to fix things.

I don't reply to your posts much anymore they're insanely stupid and they become the most circular arguments, but holy poo poo you are really loving stupid with all of this, Coolest. Like this is worse than most of the arguments over ASB we had and those were awful.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, they really don't. You tossed this out without even thinking about it and it's pretty clear that you're more interested in making snarking comments than having an actual discussion because you want to keep making weird backhanded comments about DMC4 and how much you dislike it.

Okay, effortpost time.

Really awful bosses
Almost every boss in DMC4 is loving terrible and they were clearly designed around using the devil bringer and nothing else.

The big demons are all full of lovely parts where your only option is to sit there and wait for your turn to actually do things but that look neat (berials fire moves that have zero counter besides "get the gently caress away" and his tendency to charge a million miles away from you because the arena is so big to show off NEXT GEN GRAPHICS, the frogs fog bullshit where he just gets to go "okay now fight these really slow moving enemies that don't really fight back, can't meaningfully be comboed and automatically dodge most of your moves, all the times the snake lady flies away), these bosses all have the same annoying habit of just falling over so that you can press circle and watch a totally hella wicked cool animation play and the boss takes tons of damage. You don't have to earn these stuns the way you do against say beowulf in DMC3, you don't even need to do lots of damage within a timeframe, you just keep hitting the boss and eventually it falls over and gives you a chance (often several) to do tons of damage. All three of these bosses are also blatantly designed around nero's devil bringer (berial literally can't hit you with non fire moves if you constantly grapple to his face and mash attack, the frog literally can't hit you unless he does his leap attack if you grapple at his face and mash attack, the snake lady constantly backs away from you in mobile mode and the position of her weakspots in stationary mode are clearly designed for you to constantly grapple towards her face and mash attack. These guys are lame, they don't have interesting weaknesses or counters for their moves like the similar Three Elemental Demons you fight in DMC1, they dont change at all during their rematches, all they have are big arenas to show off next gen hardware that they make you chase them through and god of war style cinematic finishing moves.

All the angus fights are filler. The stupid window (if that even counts as a boss) is literally "devil bringer to win" or an incredibly tedious affair where you have to make your lock on ignore the 10 billion flying sword enemies and tap at a glass window, and the direct fights aren't much better when it comes to being interesting. Like the big demons he too is very clearly a boss that punishes you for not just mashing grapple and attack at him while he flies around the needlessly big room. The dante fight is garbage. Doing anything besides a devil bringer move is just asking for him to button read you and counter you with something for half your health. Trying to bait him out is a poor idea too, as there's no way to react to his shotgun shots that you cant block by shooting like you can his pistols. No, the only smart strategy is to mash grapple and then mash buster (make sure you mash buttons during the needlessly long cutscene that plays after you buster him to actually do damage!). It's a far cry from the vergil fights in dmc3. Sanctus is yet another boss where the intended strategy is "grapple a bunch and then hit sword" only the game makes it blatantly obvious with having to grapple towards his shield, and the Savior (if that counts as a boss) is just wandering around a maze of platforms trying to find the one that lets you beat up on a non-moving target while you dodge pathetically easy to avoid projectiles.

Credo is a genuinely really awesome boss (in part because it doesn't punish you for not having a devil bringer and having one isn't an instant victory), so of course he's the only boss the game doesn't make you fight twice.

Poor enemy design in general
Every regular enemy in DMC4 is a step down from the games it's lazily copying (dmc 1/3).

The scarecrows have less going on than the marionettes from DMC1 or the hell prides from DMC3. Unlike the marionettes they can't grab you, unlike the prides they can't block attacks, unlike either their swings are slower, telegraphed more, and leave them way more open as they spin several times past you after you dodged their first swing. They can't even claim to have different royal guard/roll timings on their moves like hell prides can

Frosts are lame because they get to arbitrarily just leap out of your combo and go into super armor unless you (once again) have the devil bringer in order to quickly pull yourself over there and throw them out of the armor. They spend most of their time hanging out shooting easy to avoid projectiles instead of getting in your face the way the spiders or abyss from DMC3 do. They also don't have as many moves as DMC1 frosts.

Assaults are probably the DMC1 enemy that was the least ruined by DMC4, but they still made their shields less interesting, removed their weakness to getting hit at specific angles, and made their burrow move 500% more annoying because it lasts way longer

Blitzes are perhaps the most annoying enemy ever put into one of these games. Every blitz fight goes in one of two ways. Either they sit there like idiots and you instantly remove their armor and kill them, or they decide to be huge cocks that never stop teleporting, so you pick at them with guns and it takes forever for them to decide to stop wasting your time.

Flying swords are a joke that basically just exists for nero to throw at people and otherwise goes down like flies.

The fish monsters exist to drag things out for as long as possible if you aren't nero and can't just grab them out of the ground

The dogs are the one enemy new to dmc4 that doesn't exist just to make things take forever, but it's a massive step down from the dmc3 enemies who's job it is to stand back and shoot at you. They don't have the fire speed or backtracking of enigmas, and they don't have the gimmick of range moves making them stronger like hell gluttony. Instead the dogs just kinda sit there and shoot or charge at you.

Chimeras are pathetic fodder that exists for nero to rip in half god of war style, or to mix with other enemies and making them super obnixious because every couple seconds they have a big "don't stand near me" AOE spike swing move that happens even if you're hitting them.

The ghosts are another DMC4 enemy that's been made worse from DMC1. They have less moves (each type has one attack), they're less aggressive, the level design gives them more things to hide in where you can't hit them and they have a big "oh no I'm vulnrable now" phase instead of having to constantly fight and dodge.

Angelo's have the exact same "if you don't have devil bringer I can just leap out of your combos and you get to deal with that" poo poo frosts pull, but angelos can also pull the most extreme of dick moves and fly really far away from you. The room where they get first introduced after fighting credo is the worst example of this, where you can be hitting one only for it to decide it's going to fly allllllllllll the way to the other side of a huge hallway and then slowly charge up a comically easy to dodge energy move. They're also yet another enemy that exists for you to devil buster them, this time to remove their shields.

-Angel weapons are still significantly worse than Devil weapons even with all the combined nerfs and buffs.
The weapon balance in DMC4 for dante is terrible. What reason do I ever have to use lucifer outside of using the rose for a midair launcher when it's damage is terrible, it's reach is terrible and it's not even that much faster than the other weapons? poo poo, DMC4 SE actually removed the lucifer glitch that was used for some fancy combo videos meaning this thing is even more useless. Rebellion is COMPLETELY invalidated by yamato outside of mashing DT enhanced stinger, as the only uses rebellion has in DMC4 are aerial rave and drive (which are replaced by aerial rave and dimension slash). Unlike DMC 1/3 you can double jump with the gloves meaning they're even more the objectively most useful weapon even before you get into distortions that let you punch bosses for 50% or more of their health in one move. Even without distorations and double jump gilgamesh is still by a long shot the most powerful weapon in DMC 1/3/4 because it has a combination of the best parts of ifrit and beowulf, you have access to all four styles at once and the other weapons have no proper niches.

I've been avoiding comparisons with DmC because I'm focusing on dmc4 being bad but I would argue that the weapon balance in the DmC re-release is way better than DMC4, they made the demon weapons/demon dodge a less absurdly powerful and the angel weapons have lots of really handy AOE/combo extension moves like prop shredder and round trip (two moves that are really good in DmC and total rear end in dmc4.

The guns are loving worthless in DMC4. Pistols do more DPS than the shotgun does at point blank, fireworks and gunstinger are crap now and pandora has all the big damage setup moves, meaning there is literally zero reason to ever use the shotgun and it just sits there as that thing you have to skip past to get from pistols to pandora. Despite doing more damage than the shotgun the pistols actually do way less damage than they did at DMC3, especially at distances where you would want to use a loving gun IE more than a foot away from an enemy. Pandoras missile attacks are so clunky and hard to aim that half the time enemies have already moved by the time which leaves the mediocre air minigun, the two meter attacks that are basically just cheats, and omen which seemingly only exists to take down blitzes. The guns aren't powerful the way roll grenades or jump shotgun in DMC1 or guard cancel spiral/missile and level 3 charge shots in DMC3. The guns aren't interesting like nightmare beta or artimis. The only guns in the entire game worth using are neros and ladies level 3 charge shots (stupidly overpowered) and vergils summoned swords (because you might as well while you're stabbing people since you can combine them)

-General poor combat mechanics. this is the one thing DMC4 has going for it. the very base framework of the combat mechanics/character movesets are quite good, it's just brought down by lovely balance, a removal of a bunch of key moves from dmc3 (where the hell is enemy surfing? nero does it in the opening cutscene) and bad enemy/boss design that encourages using devil bringer over anything else.

Level design that is so heavily focused on 'setpieces'
DMC4's level design is full of stuff like this. Why are there so many empty hallways with nothing in them to show off the next gen graphics, hallways so long the game has to include a run feature (that it makes you pay for???). Why do I have to do stupid bullshit like mash grapple between grim grips, play dice games or do teleport/lost woods style mazes? Why do I have to slow down time so I can move past some propellers or lasers that are otherwise instant pain? Why is the level design literally a straight line that you then backtrack through when DMC 1/3 had a really ghetto metroidvania thing going on where you had to explore and fight through enemies to find which square hole the square key you just got lands in. Some food for thought, DMC2, DMC4 and DmC all have very linear level design that doesn't let you go back to previous areas unless the mission is explicitly about going to that previous area.

neither DMC4 or DmC are what I would call good games, but DmC actually tried to fix itself and had some unique stuff to set it apart, whle DMC4 is just throwing dmc 1/3 into a blender with MGS2 and then being forced to publish the game when 40% of it is finished (as said by itsuno himself) so I'm less open to it.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 29, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

darealkooky posted:

I've been avoiding comparisons with DmC because I'm focusing on dmc4 being bad

yes i agree DmC is worse and you are a moron

darealkooky posted:

DmC actually tried to fix itself and had some unique stuff

it had to fix itself because it was that loving poo poo. and none of the unique stuff was any good

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Out of curiosity, what controllers are people using for DMC4? I've held off on getting one for my PC for a long time, but I'm thinking this game may finally be what tips the scale. Or should I just pick up one of those Gaming Receivers that Microsoft sells and convert my old 360 controller into a PC controller?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Not to cherry pick but the scarecrows do have a block and they'll use it often on the higher difficulties.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

Okay, effortpost time.

Almost everything you posted here is straight-up wrong. The mere fact that you say that every fight is design around the Devil Bringer is not only false it's objectively false considering there are lots of cool things Dante can do with bosses, and a lot of your claims are straight ups strange (Pandora being 'hard to aim'? What?).

In fact the bulk of your complaints appear to be based around some bizarre argument that the Devil Bringer overwhelms everything which... isn't remotely true. A lot of your arguments I can't even counter because they're saying things which are factually untrue or revolve around very specific opinions, which are yours to hold but absolutely are not going to be universal. Your claim about DMC3 and DMC1 having 'ghetto metroidvania' design when they are literally divided into chapters where the path is set for you is particularly silly as hell.

It's pretty clear from the way you post that you have a bizarre hate-on for DMC4 and literally nothing it does would make you happy. It's fine to dislike a game but at this point it's pretty clear you're not actually talking about the game, you're talking about your personal dislike for it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 29, 2015

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

darealkooky posted:

Okay, effortpost time.

Really awful bosses
Almost every boss in DMC4 is loving terrible and they were clearly designed around using the devil bringer and nothing else.

The big demons are all full of lovely parts where your only option is to sit there and wait for your turn to actually do things but that look neat (berials fire moves that have zero counter besides "get the gently caress away" and his tendency to charge a million miles away from you because the arena is so big to show off NEXT GEN GRAPHICS, the frogs fog bullshit where he just gets to go "okay now fight these really slow moving enemies that don't really fight back, can't meaningfully be comboed and automatically dodge most of your moves, all the times the snake lady flies away), these bosses all have the same annoying habit of just falling over so that you can press circle and watch a totally hella wicked cool animation play and the boss takes tons of damage. You don't have to earn these stuns the way you do against say beowulf in DMC3, you don't even need to do lots of damage within a timeframe, you just keep hitting the boss and eventually it falls over and gives you a chance (often several) to do tons of damage. All three of these bosses are also blatantly designed around nero's devil bringer (berial literally can't hit you with non fire moves if you constantly grapple to his face and mash attack, the frog literally can't hit you unless he does his leap attack if you grapple at his face and mash attack, the snake lady constantly backs away from you in mobile mode and the position of her weakspots in stationary mode are clearly designed for you to constantly grapple towards her face and mash attack. These guys are lame, they don't have interesting weaknesses or counters for their moves like the similar Three Elemental Demons you fight in DMC1, they dont change at all during their rematches, all they have are big arenas to show off next gen hardware that they make you chase them through and god of war style cinematic finishing moves.

All the angus fights are filler. The stupid window (if that even counts as a boss) is literally "devil bringer to win" or an incredibly tedious affair where you have to make your lock on ignore the 10 billion flying sword enemies and tap at a glass window, and the direct fights aren't much better when it comes to being interesting. Like the big demons he too is very clearly a boss that punishes you for not just mashing grapple and attack at him while he flies around the needlessly big room. The dante fight is garbage. Doing anything besides a devil bringer move is just asking for him to button read you and counter you with something for half your health. Trying to bait him out is a poor idea too, as there's no way to react to his shotgun shots that you cant block by shooting like you can his pistols. No, the only smart strategy is to mash grapple and then mash buster (make sure you mash buttons during the needlessly long cutscene that plays after you buster him to actually do damage!). It's a far cry from the vergil fights in dmc3. Sanctus is yet another boss where the intended strategy is "grapple a bunch and then hit sword" only the game makes it blatantly obvious with having to grapple towards his shield, and the Savior (if that counts as a boss) is just wandering around a maze of platforms trying to find the one that lets you beat up on a non-moving target while you dodge pathetically easy to avoid projectiles.

Credo is a genuinely really awesome boss (in part because it doesn't punish you for not having a devil bringer and having one isn't an instant victory), so of course he's the only boss the game doesn't make you fight twice.

Poor enemy design in general
Every regular enemy in DMC4 is a step down from the games it's lazily copying (dmc 1/3).

The scarecrows have less going on than the marionettes from DMC1 or the hell prides from DMC3. Unlike the marionettes they can't grab you, unlike the prides they can't block attacks, unlike either their swings are slower, telegraphed more, and leave them way more open as they spin several times past you after you dodged their first swing. They can't even claim to have different royal guard/roll timings on their moves like hell prides can

Frosts are lame because they get to arbitrarily just leap out of your combo and go into super armor unless you (once again) have the devil bringer in order to quickly pull yourself over there and throw them out of the armor. They spend most of their time hanging out shooting easy to avoid projectiles instead of getting in your face the way the spiders or abyss from DMC3 do. They also don't have as many moves as DMC1 frosts.

Assaults are probably the DMC1 enemy that was the least ruined by DMC4, but they still made their shields less interesting, removed their weakness to getting hit at specific angles, and made their burrow move 500% more annoying because it lasts way longer

Blitzes are perhaps the most annoying enemy ever put into one of these games. Every blitz fight goes in one of two ways. Either they sit there like idiots and you instantly remove their armor and kill them, or they decide to be huge cocks that never stop teleporting, so you pick at them with guns and it takes forever for them to decide to stop wasting your time.

Flying swords are a joke that basically just exists for nero to throw at people and otherwise goes down like flies.

The fish monsters exist to drag things out for as long as possible if you aren't nero and can't just grab them out of the ground

The dogs are the one enemy new to dmc4 that doesn't exist just to make things take forever, but it's a massive step down from the dmc3 enemies who's job it is to stand back and shoot at you. They don't have the fire speed or backtracking of enigmas, and they don't have the gimmick of range moves making them stronger like hell gluttony. Instead the dogs just kinda sit there and shoot or charge at you.

Chimeras are pathetic fodder that exists for nero to rip in half god of war style, or to mix with other enemies and making them super obnixious because every couple seconds they have a big "don't stand near me" AOE spike swing move that happens even if you're hitting them.

The ghosts are another DMC4 enemy that's been made worse from DMC1. They have less moves (each type has one attack), they're less aggressive, the level design gives them more things to hide in where you can't hit them and they have a big "oh no I'm vulnrable now" phase instead of having to constantly fight and dodge.

Angelo's have the exact same "if you don't have devil bringer I can just leap out of your combos and you get to deal with that" poo poo frosts pull, but angelos can also pull the most extreme of dick moves and fly really far away from you. The room where they get first introduced after fighting credo is the worst example of this, where you can be hitting one only for it to decide it's going to fly allllllllllll the way to the other side of a huge hallway and then slowly charge up a comically easy to dodge energy move. They're also yet another enemy that exists for you to devil buster them, this time to remove their shields.

The weapon balance in DMC4 for dante is terrible. What reason do I ever have to use lucifer outside of using the rose for a midair launcher when it's damage is terrible, it's reach is terrible and it's not even that much faster than the other weapons? poo poo, DMC4 SE actually removed the lucifer glitch that was used for some fancy combo videos meaning this thing is even more useless. Rebellion is COMPLETELY invalidated by yamato outside of mashing DT enhanced stinger, as the only uses rebellion has in DMC4 are aerial rave and drive (which are replaced by aerial rave and dimension slash). Unlike DMC 1/3 you can double jump with the gloves meaning they're even more the objectively most useful weapon even before you get into distortions that let you punch bosses for 50% or more of their health in one move. Even without distorations and double jump gilgamesh is still by a long shot the most powerful weapon in DMC 1/3/4 because it has a combination of the best parts of ifrit and beowulf, you have access to all four styles at once and the other weapons have no proper niches.

I've been avoiding comparisons with DmC because I'm focusing on dmc4 being bad but I would argue that the weapon balance in the DmC re-release is way better than DMC4, they made the demon weapons/demon dodge a less absurdly powerful and the angel weapons have lots of really handy AOE/combo extension moves like prop shredder and round trip (two moves that are really good in DmC and total rear end in dmc4.

The guns are loving worthless in DMC4. Pistols do more DPS than the shotgun does at point blank, fireworks and gunstinger are crap now and pandora has all the big damage setup moves, meaning there is literally zero reason to ever use the shotgun and it just sits there as that thing you have to skip past to get from pistols to pandora. Despite doing more damage than the shotgun the pistols actually do way less damage than they did at DMC3, especially at distances where you would want to use a loving gun IE more than a foot away from an enemy. Pandoras missile attacks are so clunky and hard to aim that half the time enemies have already moved by the time which leaves the mediocre air minigun, the two meter attacks that are basically just cheats, and omen which seemingly only exists to take down blitzes. The guns aren't powerful the way roll grenades or jump shotgun in DMC1 or guard cancel spiral/missile and level 3 charge shots in DMC3. The guns aren't interesting like nightmare beta or artimis. The only guns in the entire game worth using are neros and ladies level 3 charge shots (stupidly overpowered) and vergils summoned swords (because you might as well while you're stabbing people since you can combine them)

-General poor combat mechanics. this is the one thing DMC4 has going for it. the very base framework of the combat mechanics/character movesets are quite good, it's just brought down by lovely balance, a removal of a bunch of key moves from dmc3 (where the hell is enemy surfing? nero does it in the opening cutscene) and bad enemy/boss design that encourages using devil bringer over anything else.

Level design that is so heavily focused on 'setpieces'
DMC4's level design is full of stuff like this. Why are there so many empty hallways with nothing in them to show off the next gen graphics, hallways so long the game has to include a run feature (that it makes you pay for???). Why do I have to do stupid bullshit like mash grapple between grim grips, play dice games or do teleport/lost woods style mazes? Why do I have to slow down time so I can move past some propellers or lasers that are otherwise instant pain? Why is the level design literally a straight line that you then backtrack through when DMC 1/3 had a really ghetto metroidvania thing going on where you had to explore and fight through enemies to find which square hole the square key you just got lands in. Some food for thought, DMC2, DMC4 and DmC all have very linear level design that doesn't let you go back to previous areas unless the mission is explicitly about going to that previous area.

neither DMC4 or DmC are what I would call good games, but DmC actually tried to fix itself and had some unique stuff to set it apart, whle DMC4 is just throwing dmc 1/3 into a blender with MGS2 and then being forced to publish the game when 40% of it is finished (as said by itsuno himself) so I'm less open to it.

Any words in here that aren't about Chimera, Blitz or recycled levels and bosses is a lot of words to say "i'm dumb."

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

notZaar posted:

Not to cherry pick but the scarecrows do have a block and they'll use it often on the higher difficulties.

don't wanna call you a liar but I have literally never seen this happen while on DMD prides block constantly

ImpAtom posted:

Almost everything you posted here is straight-up wrong. The mere fact that you say that every fight is design around the Devil Bringer is not only false it's objectively false considering there are lots of cool things Dante can do with bosses,
You haven't actually explained how the boss fights aren't designed around using devil bringer. Dante being able to do "lots of cool things with bosses" doesn't have anything to do with that. Are you really going to tell me that bossing sitting there so you can grab them, something only nero can do, is not an example of the game being designed around him?

quote:

and a lot of your claims are straight ups strange (Pandora being 'hard to aim'? What?).
the wierd up/down/left/right aiming it takes on where dante refuses to turn to face enemies he's locked onto and instead turns into a turret is awkward.

quote:

In fact the bulk of your complaints appear to be based around some bizarre argument that the Devil Bringer overwhelms everything which... isn't remotely true. A lot of your arguments I can't even counter because they're saying things which are factually untrue or revolve around very specific opinions, which are yours to hold but absolutely are not going to be universal.
You can counter by saying the truth, if what I'm saying is wrong. What about "gilgamesh is even better than every other similar weapon in DMC games because it's way stronger and your other weapons in this game are weaker" "guns do less damage than other DMC games" or " this enemy had more going on DMC1" is an opinion or not true?

quote:

Your claim about DMC3 and DMC1 having 'ghetto metroidvania' design when they are literally divided into chapters where the path is set for you is particularly silly as hell.
both games have blue/yellow orbs that requires you to massively backtrack and go generally go way the hell out of your way through old areas since the castle/tower are all connected. DMC2/DmC lock you into specific areas and in DMC4 the game is full of roadblocks that arbitrarily prevent you from going backwards

quote:

It's pretty clear from the way you post that you have a bizarre hate-on for DMC4 and literally nothing it does would make you happy.
which is why I praised it for the parts I like? why you gotta be so melodramatic.

quote:

It's fine to dislike a game but at this point it's pretty clear you're not actually talking about the game, you're talking about your personal dislike for it.
I'm talking about why I personally dislike the game and find it not as good as other, similar games. All issues someone has with a game are personal, even if they're based on arguments beyond "I just don't like it".

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 29, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Uh well maybe something is really wrong with your copy because scarecrows block a lot. Maybe it's just the leg blade ones?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

maybe it's just that with the changes in how enemy DT works I tended to go after them first, while the reverse was true for dmc3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

You can counter by saying the truth, if what I'm saying is wrong. What about "gilgamesh is even better than every other similar weapon in DMC games because it's way stronger and your other weapons in this game are weaker" "guns do less damage than other DMC games" or " this enemy had more going on DMC1" is an opinion or not true?

Gilgamesh is an extremely strong weapon but every weapon available to you in DMC4 is strong. Yes, including Lucifer, which is why your complaints about it come across as not making sense. Gilgamesh gets excessive with distortion taken into account but even then the other weapons are still extremely good. In comparison the angel weapons in DmC are worse than the other weapons in every way including crowd control. I mean the angel weapons have a huge AoE but even buffed they are so bad that it is literally better to use devil weapons to stun or knock-back enemies than it is to try to use Angel weapons to CC them.

Guns are also extremely strong which is one of those claims I don't get at all. Ebony and Ivory (and their counterparts on the other characters) are pretty crap but almost every other ranged weapon is solid and useful. Pandora absolutely steals the show for Trish and Dante but Pandora is interesting, varied and flexible.

This is the problem with countering you. You're making claims that don't actually make sense so the only thing I can do is shrug and go "okay?"

darealkooky posted:

the wierd up/down/left/aiming it takes on where dante refuses to turn to face enemies he's locked onto and instead turns into a turret is awkward.

I'm not clear what you're having trouble with there but okay.

darealkooky posted:

both games have blue/yellow orbs that requires you to massively backtrack and go generally go way the hell out of your way through old areas since the castle/tower are all connected. DMC2/DmC lock you into specific areas and in DMC4 the game is full of roadblocks that arbitrarily prevent you from going backwards

No they don't! Most of the blue orbs, at best, require you to go back a room or two! You absolutely do not have to 'massively backtrack' at any point. By your logic DMC4 has this too since it asks you to go to rooms you don't have to go to in order to find items. Like (just because it's fresh in my mind from the LP) there's a hidden yellow orb you'll get in the last pre-Savior Dante mission you only get if you go through a few rooms you don't have to go to.

darealkooky posted:

which is why I praised it for the parts I like? why you gotta be so melodramatic.

Literally the only thing I've seen you praise is a backhanded compliment about how Dante gets new weapons on NG+ in a boss fight.

Meanwhile you literally claimed earlier that the only thing DMC4 has going for it is 'movelists' so I'm not really buying your claim of trying to be objective about it. I mean DMC4 is a flawed game, don't get me wrong, but it isn't irredeemable flawed. It carries itself on its strong core combat mechanics but it is neither the first nor the last character action game to do that. Half the games on your list of ones you'd rather play, including Bayonetta and Godhand, have pretty significant flaws that people overlook because the core combat mechanics are so strong.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 29, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, including Lucifer, which is why your complaints about it come across as not making sense.
Work with me here. You act smug and ask me to give explanations for what I think, and I do in probably way too many words. But all you're giving me is "no actually you're wrong, [thing] is good and useful". Explain to me how pandora is worth using when you have to waste your time using the piddley minigun to use the actual useful moves (and could've just kicked everything to death and been done way faster). Explain how non pandora guns are worth using when you admit the handguns are poo poo but the shotgun does less damage and has no utility. You haven't explained how all the enemies aren't clearly designed around devil bringer either (this doesn't mean dante can't do cool stuff with them).

quote:

No they don't! Most of the blue orbs, at best, require you to go back a room or two! You absolutely do not have to 'massively backtrack' at any point.
dmc3 gives you a blue orb for, instead of continuing to climb the tower in mission 15, going a complete opposite direction through a bunch of old areas that have been slightly altered in order/geometry you have no reason to go through and then fighting a bunch of HVG and fallen. You an also get a gold orb if you continue to backtrack and walk all the way to dantes office and do a repeat of the chapter 2 enemy waves. There are similar things in dmc1 and nothing like this in DMC4, at least to this level.

quote:

Literally the only thing I've seen you praise is a backhanded compliment about how Dante gets new weapons on NG+ in a boss fight.
and credo, and the game engine. Maybe calling it "movelists" is the wrong word but I'm not 100% sure what to say. Mechanics? the general framework and idea of "what if dmc3 dante didn't have to pick between stuff" is a really good and obvious conclusion, but they made so many things watered down that it doesn't work on execution. the dmc4 engine has some really nifty stuff to it like guard flying and lots of potential very cool combos but the problem is that actually playing the game outside of making combo videos just doesn't flow properly the way stuff like bayo or godhand does because there's a lack of polish and interesting enemies to make all the big fancy moves and advanced canceling techniques worth doing because the game was released before it was even half finished. It's just DMC3's combat mechanics but you can use more stuff at a time and with a lot of your options removed or made way worse. That doesn't make it big rigs or anything but I just don't really have a reason to play that when I can just play DMC3 instead.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

darealkooky posted:

I mean if I have to be completely honest the DmC re-release is way better than dmc4 special edition is

DmC re-release genuinely tried to fix more or less every bad part of the game besides the cut-scenes (and even a few of those have been tweaked) and stuff like the new hardcore mode, 60 FPs and an actual lock on really do go a long way

Don't get me wrong even with all the improvements there's still not really much of a reason to play DmC over other games in the genre, but I kinda feel the exact same way about dmc4 even if it is still slightly better (if only because DmC went from an F to a C while dmc4 is still a B-), in that I wanna shelf both games and just go back to playing bayonetta/dmc3/godhand/ninja gaiden/viewtiful joe for the eleven billionth time

yet somehow DMC4 is just still a better game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

im glad you brought up the shotgun because that's actually my #1 complaint with dante besides the more general "nothing really feels as powerful as dmc3 stuff bc of lack of hitstop/huge hitsparks/blood/dust splatter and bursting enemies"

i miss you dmc3 shotgun
;_;

• Locked thread