Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

PittTheElder posted:

I haven't tried it since CS completely changed Burgundy, but it was pretty easy before. The Burgundian Inheritance is actually something of a curse, just because Burgundy tends to be a lot easier to beat up than Austria is. But either way, the way to do it is the same; start as one of the minors, probably Gelre (as a Monarchy they can do RMs, which really helps), butter up France, use them to pounce on Burgundy at an opportune moment, take as many provinces as possible, free any minors you can. Once you've beaten Burgundy once, use the truce to go eat the rest of the Dutch minors.

I imagine it's pretty easy to start as someone like Holland now too, and just get France to support your independence.

As for being surrounded by huge powers, it's not all that tricky to balance. You definitely want Quantity ideas, but you'll be so rich that you'll be able to field an army nearly as large as France's, and forts now give you the strategic depth that the Netherlands so sorely lacked pre-CS.

If you form the Netherlands as a monarchy, does forming the country convert you to a Dutch Republic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Poil posted:

So why the hell am I not allowed to colonize this? It is in range, I'm a proper monarchy in the Chinese tech group. Is there some hidden bullshit against pagans again? But I can clearly build ships and if this is intended the +1 colonist from ideas is UTTERLY WORTHLESS SINCE ONLY ONE PROVINCE IS IN RANGE OF YOUR CAPITAL! :mad:

Is it actually, like, 160.1 arbitrary units of distance away? That would be a total kick in the dick, but afaik it should be possible given how EUIV rounds numbers.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tsyni posted:

Just to confirm, are local iron man games eligible for achievements?

If you just mean using local saves rather than cloud, than yes. If you hover over the Play button after picking a nation you should get a popup telling you that achievements will work.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bold Robot posted:

If you form the Netherlands as a monarchy, does forming the country convert you to a Dutch Republic?

Sorta, a short while after forming it you'll get an event that lets your change government type.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It seems like bullshit that a castle with 1/10th the normal garrison can hold out like that! Do undermanned forts get a penalty to defending or anything?

edit:

Glory (1989)

Not a fort like Battery Wagner, but Cold Harbor.

In a prelude to World War One Grant ordered an assault of a well prepared and fortified Army of Northern Virginia.

Grant lost 7,000 men in about 15 minutes. It was so one sided most of the Confederates did not realize the battle was a serious assault of their position.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Is it actually, like, 160.1 arbitrary units of distance away? That would be a total kick in the dick, but afaik it should be possible given how EUIV rounds numbers.

I'm having problems with colonization too. All non-adjacent colonies are out of range for me, I can only colonize places next to existing cores.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had this problem when playing a save after a patch once, I think you uhh... need to delete some file and let the game re-generate the thingy that calculates distances. Someone help me out here? What am I remembering?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Muscovy got two new forts in its starting provinces and three thousand more men, presumably to help them not get their poo poo pushed in in every single game.

And 3 diplomats from the start from the government rank buff that I totally forgot about :woop:

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Jackson Taus posted:

I'm having problems with colonization too. All non-adjacent colonies are out of range for me, I can only colonize places next to existing cores.
I started a new save where I don't have any exploration mission options except for "circumnavigate the globe", colonial distance also shows no colours, so if someone remembers this I'd like to see if it would fix my problem.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I had this problem when playing a save after a patch once, I think you uhh... need to delete some file and let the game re-generate the thingy that calculates distances. Someone help me out here? What am I remembering?

I'll be happy to try whatever, but it seems to be calculating the distances correctly, just not accepting that I'm within those distances (so it'll say my colonial range is 432 and a province is 86 away, but that's too far). I'm having the same problem with trade distance as well.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

You're thinking of deleting the map cache: http://steamcommunity.com/app/236850/discussions/0/616189742737100482/?insideModal=1

This usually fixes weird map distance issues. Would be interested to hear if this works.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh man the government type changes. A Russian theocracy sounds pretty nuts. With 100 devotion and full Patriarch Authority (assuming it got fixed so you can actually get those events now) you get +2% missionary strength, -3 unrest, +33% manpower, and +1 yearly prestige for the cost of a -8% tax modifier. And Diplomatic->Religious is actually a pretty great starting set of ideas for Muscovy as well, so you don't have to gimp yourself just to switch to it.

Gonna have to try that out for my first run. Are achievements enabled during Beta patches? Might as well try and go for Master of India while I'm at it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

No, it refuses to allow any colony for any province that isn't next to an already owned one. I own Makassar and the closest uncolonized province on Borneo is also "too far away". They share the same sea zone and I bet it'd be within coring distance even at diplo tech 1. :(

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Can someone explain (or maybe provide an LP?) of playing tall? I understand the general concept from other games of building a solid compact position that you continue to improve rather than investing resources in direct expansion, but how does that work in EU4? It seems like there is a lot of mechanics to just screw you over playing like that. Diplomatic relations limits, vassal liberty desire, trying to indirectly a vassals overextension and other problems. Short of starting in a strong colonizer position and forging everything but trade and colonialism I just can't wrap my head around it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Gonna have to try that out for my first run. Are achievements enabled during Beta patches? Might as well try and go for Master of India while I'm at it.

Yes, you can do achievements with beta version.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Poil posted:

No, it refuses to allow any colony for any province that isn't next to an already owned one. I own Makassar and the closest uncolonized province on Borneo is also "too far away". They share the same sea zone and I bet it'd be within coring distance even at diplo tech 1. :(

Is your tech considered to be primitive? I remember native Americans and sub-saharans had restriction like that - no building boats and only allowed to colonize directly adjacent, not even over same sea zone

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pyromancer posted:

Is your tech considered to be primitive? I remember native Americans and sub-saharans had restriction like that - no building boats and only allowed to colonize directly adjacent, not even over same sea zone
This would be hilarious considering people in Indonesia got to the islands they are via boats. I am hoping the next expansion is a boat-and-naval-combat update that allows American primitives to have boats, Indonesian OPMs to have their own boats (could probably be a c/p of Americans but with a different name), Berber pirates to do their thing, Arab traders in the Indian Ocean do their thing, and -you guessed it- the Chinese to be represented better by having their gigantic junkers floating around.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Poil posted:

After a little bit of messing around it seems like colonization is broken for everyone and only works on provinces you border.

Koramei posted:

so I immediately wanted to check, and

ah

They spawn as a lucky nation with 50 regiments, 5k ducats, 1m manpower and also get 50 ducats/month, 75% core cost, +100% discipline, -10 unrest, +100k max manpower,, +100% manpower recovery, -1000 relations to everyone, -50% attrition from their invasion modifier. Also imperialism on everyone. I kinda want to play a real game against them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

I don't think so, it's Chinese tech group. It now begins at level 3 and I even started with a fleet. And my government is a regular monarchy (despotic monarchy, so it's definitely not tribal) at the monarchy level (not empire or duchy).

Sorced posted:

After a little bit of messing around it seems like colonization is broken for everyone and only works on provinces you border.
Well, that's a comfort at least. Thanks. :)

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Allyn posted:

Bug, in the beta (but probably in whatever's live at the moment): as Sweden, won independence. Next war, go to take back cores against Denmark, who still have Norway under a PU. I can't take my core on Jamtland back from Norway, because I apparently don't have a core on it. Even though I do.
Have you occupied that province? You can't demand unoccupied provinces from someone who is junior to the person you're negotiating with (and since you can't negotiate with a PU/vassal, you are always affected by this in that case). Unfortunately, the explanatory text is flat-out wrong. If you occupy the province you can demand it.

Bort Bortles posted:

edit: /\//\/\ the movement near/around forts does need some fine tuning, I agree.

The current rule seems to be: If you enter a fort's zone of control, you must either move to the fort, or leave the way you came.

I think it would be better as: If you enter a fort's zone of control, you must either move to the fort, leave the way you came, or move into a province that is adjacent to a friendly province.

Basically this:

Where red arrows indicate illegal routes and green arrows indicate legal routes.

After they represent China better, of course.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sorced posted:

:raise:

I assume this is the beta patch?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Colonization is busted in the beta patch. Going to look at it tomorrow.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wiz posted:

Thank you for confirming :)

Dibujante posted:

Have you occupied that province? You can't demand unoccupied provinces from someone who is junior to the person you're negotiating with (and since you can't negotiate with a PU/vassal, you are always affected by this in that case). Unfortunately, the explanatory text is flat-out wrong. If you occupy the province you can demand it.

The current rule seems to be: If you enter a fort's zone of control, you must either move to the fort, or leave the way you came.

I think it would be better as: If you enter a fort's zone of control, you must either move to the fort, leave the way you came, or move into a province that is adjacent to a friendly province.

Basically this:

Where red arrows indicate illegal routes and green arrows indicate legal routes.

After they represent China better, of course.
You are amazing and I hope Wiz sees this. And tries to represent China better.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Did you guys try deleting the map cache though?

E: nevermind didn't see Wiz had posted

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Pyromancer posted:

primitive is only for 100%+ tech cost, i.e. only American tech groups. Sub-Saharan and Indonesian (Chinese tech) teams both have 60%.

Sorced posted:

They spawn as a lucky nation with 50 regiments, 5k ducats, 1m manpower and also get 50 ducats/month, 75% core cost, +100% discipline, -10 unrest, +100k max manpower,, +100% manpower recovery, -1000 relations to everyone, -50% attrition from their invasion modifier. Also imperialism on everyone. I kinda want to play a real game against them.

Jesus Christ. I wanna try that for my next multiplayer game I think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

I was juuuuust about to set the game to use the beta patch and load up my new dutch colonization run. That would have been... frustrating. Will hold off for tomorrow then.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
Also it seems that the "can't take provinces you can't core" thing doesn't take into account that you can core provinces adjacent to vassals on the same continent. Makes some starts like kongo really weird.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Apoffys posted:

I've noticed one weird thing, but I'm not sure if it's a bug or new. Three times now I've had my clearly superior fleet blockading a port holding the enemy fleet, and as soon as I give my fleet the order to move away (thus breaking the blockade), the enemy fleet pounces on me. They get quickly crushed, so I have no idea what their motivation for attacking my fleet was, especially since they were content to hide in port up to the moment it looked as if I was moving my fleet away.

The AI might have become more suicidal in this patch, but that behavior is super old.

Bold Robot posted:

No, there's a separate event that does that. But if you are a theocracy (Utrecht), then forming the Netherlands does secularize you.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
So the reformation fired for me in 1471 :stare:

Something is very wrong with this patch.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
oh yeah I didn't see it mentioned, but you can still form Netherlands as Burgundy right? If you don't feel like starting as an OPM. They have to cede all their french territory to do it though (that, or totally wipe out France).

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Guildencrantz posted:

So the reformation fired for me in 1471 :stare:

Something is very wrong with this patch.

I just had the reformation fire in 1464. I am playing as Poland, and I have had The Doctrine of Particular Judgement fire 5 or 6 times so far. I have been choosing the option that gives papal influence and reform desire each time, along with most of the AI.

Related, I like the changes to the papal influence bonuses. Most of the ones that were one time, like levying church taxes and bless ruler are now 20 year modifiers. Church taxes are 15% tax efficiency, and bless ruler is +1 yearly prestige. Forgive Usury also gives -0.1 inflation.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Had some Syrian revolters pop up, luckily my pals and vassals in Syria proper turned up. They weren't willing to join either side in the fighting, but they were very keen to stand there and watch.

Also, is it a bug or intended change that forts don't flip occupied provinces now? It's not a big deal either way since fortless provinces can be sieged down pretty quick, but I can't see anything in the patch notes. There's a fully operational fort bordering this rebel-held province and all the rebels are dead:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Well, at least Wiz confirmed things are busted. Can't colonize or explore with the beta patch.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The entirety of Persia just formed from the Timurids who had no rebels that I saw in 1452. Playing beta patch. Is there some way for this to happen normally?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Well, at least Wiz confirmed things are busted. Can't colonize or explore with the beta patch.
I was able to explore the coast of my starting region. But I couldn't explore any sea areas.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just wanted to share a war story I've very proud of from my no-cheats netherlands run.
England had double my military but about on par with my fleet. I managed to just barely best them and our fleets mutually destroyed each other down to a single carack and cog. I used this cog to land a single infantry in ireland and they rushed all 40+ of their troops there. The brave little sacrifice worked and I was able to trap the entire massive english army in ireland while I waited and built more cogs to ferry troops to england. In england its self they were building MORE troops so I had to fight pitched small-number battles as I slowly ferried troops 4 at a time over. Eventually I got all my 20 or so units over to england and carpet seiged them down to 98% warscore. I took London and everything south and made them release wales. Their fleet is wiped out, their military is weak, and in 10 years I plan on using my beachhead into england to finish the job and hopefully get them to release Scotland.

The whole fleet annihilation thing seems a bit extreme though. Every war starts with an all or nothing fleet wipe out. You either win the initial naval battle, or your entire fleet is wiped out. 2 fleets enter, 1 fleet leaves. I don't know if this is historical or not, but I'd love to see a bit more balance between fleets being totally wiped vs ships running away to the nearest port to repair.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

:xcom:

(pretend that's Johan or Wiz's wizard face)

I don't need to pretend

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

The whole fleet annihilation thing seems a bit extreme though. Every war starts with an all or nothing fleet wipe out. You either win the initial naval battle, or your entire fleet is wiped out. 2 fleets enter, 1 fleet leaves. I don't know if this is historical or not, but I'd love to see a bit more balance between fleets being totally wiped vs ships running away to the nearest port to repair.

Ever heard of the Spanish Armada? :smugdog:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
E: Never mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is the AI affected by the colonizing bug as well? I was just going to knock out a "quick" Russian game to get the India achievement but it might be kind of fun to stick around Europe instead and see what happens when the AI is forced to just sit at home and fight with each other instead of colonizing.

• Locked thread