Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's a generational thing. Leadership sees younger employees using their phones and they freak out.

Yet the older people all email their husband/wife/aunt/sister/whoever 500 times a day, but because it's inside of Outlook it looks like they are 'working'

I had a supervisor at my old job go into a 1/2 hour IM conversation about "Why do you have Gmail open"

I was emailing my girlfriend at the time to ask if I needed to come home after work to let the dog out. It was a 2-minute conversation. I asked him if I should just use my company account to talk to her so it looks like I'm 'working' like everyone else in the company and why he doesn't bug xxxxx about doing the same thing.

"Are you not busy enough?"

Are you not busy enough that you can watch my screen from your cubical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

It's a generational thing. Leadership sees younger employees using their phones and they freak out.

I'm 32. I've lived and worked professionally in the time before cellphones and after cellphones.

Leadership is 100% correct in being concerned about younger employees using their phones all of the time always and not paying attention to their work. Stop being an entitled baby, using your cellphone is not your inalienable right. Your employer may or may not be reasonable in prohibiting them, but justifying it to you is not their problem. If you don't like it, quit or maybe have a discussion with your manager about why you absolutely need your cellphone at all times.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bob Morales posted:

Building Win-Win Partnerships is part of an over-all commitment to address issues and challenges that hinder us in reaching our Team xxxxxx business goals. One area businesses are being challenged; excessive personal cell phone/texting usage during working hours.

Words like this is why I hate HR.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'm 32. I've lived and worked professionally in the time before cellphones and after cellphones.

Leadership is 100% correct in being concerned about younger employees using their phones all of the time always and not paying attention to their work. Stop being an entitled baby, using your cellphone is not your inalienable right. Your employer may or may not be reasonable in prohibiting them, but justifying it to you is not their problem. If you don't like it, quit or maybe have a discussion with your manager about why you absolutely need your cellphone at all times.

I would argue the adult thing is to confront the offenders and not punish the whole company. But that would require management to manage.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Farecoal posted:

I see you work at a middle school

Last night someone in our office crafted up a gigantic 6x4 calendar and stuck it to the wall, complete with big goofy stickers for holidays, employee birthdays, and company events.
I could let it pass if it were in the break room but this is just out in the middle of our cubicle farm. I'm expecting a "Letter of the Day" board soon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Leadership is 100% correct in being concerned about younger employees using their phones all of the time always and not paying attention to their work. Stop being an entitled baby, using your cellphone is not your inalienable right.
Chill out man.

I'm not saying that there aren't employees who are Clash of Clans/texting/Facebooking/Snapchatting all day. There are. I'm not saying YOU CAN'T TAKE MA CELL PHONE :doom:

What I am saying is an outright ban of cell phones in the workplace is just ridiculous. I get that you're here to work and not text. But people have stuff going on throughout the day. Hey pick up little Johnny from daycare early he's sick. Are you picking the kids up from school or me.

Not to mention people are just going to move their screwing-around and communication to some other medium. IM, email, Facebook on their computer, etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm 32. I've lived and worked professionally in the time before cellphones and after cellphones

I'm 33. There was never a 'before cell phones' for my professional career.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Raerlynn posted:

I would argue the adult thing is to confront the offenders and not punish the whole company. But that would require management to manage.

Oh, you mean like this:

Bob Morales posted:

Yet the older people all email their husband/wife/aunt/sister/whoever 500 times a day, but because it's inside of Outlook it looks like they are 'working'

I had a supervisor at my old job go into a 1/2 hour IM conversation about "Why do you have Gmail open"

I was emailing my girlfriend at the time to ask if I needed to come home after work to let the dog out. It was a 2-minute conversation. I asked him if I should just use my company account to talk to her so it looks like I'm 'working' like everyone else in the company and why he doesn't bug xxxxx about doing the same thing.

"Are you not busy enough?"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Chill out man.

I'm not saying that there aren't employees who are Clash of Clans/texting/Facebooking/Snapchatting all day. There are. I'm not saying YOU CAN'T TAKE MA CELL PHONE :doom:

What I am saying is an outright ban of cell phones in the workplace is just ridiculous. I get that you're here to work and not text. But people have stuff going on throughout the day. Hey pick up little Johnny from daycare early he's sick. Are you picking the kids up from school or me.

Not to mention people are just going to move their screwing-around and communication to some other medium. IM, email, Facebook on their computer, etc.

Nah, I'm not flipping out, but really, if it was just people texting because they had a situation to handle, I'm sure it wouldn't have escalated to an outright banning. You can probably handle the crushing responsibility, but a lot of people can't or don't care.

Bob Morales posted:

I'm 33. There was never a 'before cell phones' for my professional career.

In college, I was an intern at Pratt and Whitney for a couple years, so I worked in that enviroment, and there were really no cell phones. I worked as an airplane mechanic for a couple years after that, and no one really had them either. It wasn't I worked in IT that I got a Blackberry, but of course people had them for years before, they just weren't everywhere and weren't completely ubiquitous for non-business or management employees.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 30, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Back to real-world on the job issues.

lovely half rear end software we uses lets people add a 'comments' textbox to a customer. So people just pile all the random poo poo they can into this field, instead of using our CRM software (ACT). Depending on what web browser or mobile device you use when you modify this field, changing the contents could result in erasing the field from the database. Yay!

And instead of doing a soft delete or a revision or something it just zaps it. So the only way to get it back is from yesterday's backup tape. So I'll be here for 25 minutes.

My pleas of quit using this poo poo and store customer information in the CRM software fall on deaf ears.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

In college, I was an intern at Pratt and Whitney for a couple years, so I worked in that enviroment, and there were really no cell phones. I worked as an airplane mechanic for a couple years after that, and no one really had them either. It wasn't I worked in IT that I got a Blackberry, but of course people had them for years before, they just weren't everywhere and weren't completely ubiquitous for non-business or management employees.

You missed the Nextel years.

*chirp chirp* HEY DAVE YOU GOT THAT BULLDOZER COMING OUT TO MY SITE OR WHAT *chirp*

*chirp chirp* WHAT IP ADDRESS DID YOU SET THAT SERVER UP ON I CANT PING IT! *chirp*

Then the younger kids *chirp chirp* BRO YOU OUTTA WORK YET GET A CASE A BEER AND COME DOWN *chirp*

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

You missed the Nextel years.

*chirp chirp* HEY DAVE YOU GOT THAT BULLDOZER COMING OUT TO MY SITE OR WHAT *chirp*

*chirp chirp* WHAT IP ADDRESS DID YOU SET THAT SERVER UP ON I CANT PING IT! *chirp*

Then the younger kids *chirp chirp* BRO YOU OUTTA WORK YET GET A CASE A BEER AND COME DOWN *chirp*

Ha! I totally forgot about that. I had a friend that worked for Nextel, and he had two different nextel phones, one for work and one for fun, and he was like a walking CB just chirping all over the place like R2-D2.

Bob Morales posted:

Back to real-world on the job issues.

Sorry, I'll stop.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bob Morales posted:

During my Days of Hell supervising at a call center, after the first site director flamed out and transferred they brought in a guy who had been a client on my previous project. He was a suit, all talk and I expected no more than that as a site director. Started off rah-rah and throwing names around of the big corps he used to work for. (No one asked why he no longer worked there and was bottom feeding at a call center.)

Within a few weeks he realized that the call center was a huge mess and resorted to the advanced management technique of spending all day sitting in the central "command center" glaring at the supervisors. It was a 400 seat site so this was a big room, with this fellow in the center like some sort of troll. If supervisors stopped to talk to one another you'd feel the director's gaze burning into the back of your neck, you'd turn and see him staring daggers at you. If you were really lucky he'd call you from the command center and in the most passive aggressive way roast you by commenting on how good you must be at your job that you can take a few minutes to chat. God forbid you should ever laugh or smile. That would get you a phone call. "Having fun? Hey can I come by and have fun too? Because that would be alot better than trying to get talk times down. <click>" That guy produced a morale level equivalent to the Bataan Death March. It wasn't enough that you had a lovely job for a lovely company, you had to wear it on your face at all times.

Call centers really are practice for torment in the Afterlife.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Dick Trauma posted:

During my Days of Hell supervising at a call center, after the first site director flamed out and transferred they brought in a guy who had been a client on my previous project. He was a suit, all talk and I expected no more than that as a site director. Started off rah-rah and throwing names around of the big corps he used to work for. (No one asked why he no longer worked there and was bottom feeding at a call center.)

Within a few weeks he realized that the call center was a huge mess and resorted to the advanced management technique of spending all day sitting in the central "command center" glaring at the supervisors. It was a 400 seat site so this was a big room, with this fellow in the center like some sort of troll. If supervisors stopped to talk to one another you'd feel the director's gaze burning into the back of your neck, you'd turn and see him staring daggers at you. If you were really lucky he'd call you from the command center and in the most passive aggressive way roast you by commenting on how good you must be at your job that you can take a few minutes to chat. God forbid you should ever laugh or smile. That would get you a phone call. "Having fun? Hey can I come by and have fun too? Because that would be alot better than trying to get talk times down. <click>" That guy produced a morale level equivalent to the Bataan Death March. It wasn't enough that you had a lovely job for a lovely company, you had to wear it on your face at all times.

I cleaned vomit in movie theaters bathrooms for minimum wage and I'd have quit that call center job for the vomit if given the chance.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

"Rightsizing." Stop trying to make firing someone for no fault of their own sound nice.

Not me, one of our sites is shutting down. But Jesus, have the guts to call it what it is.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Raerlynn posted:

Speaking of poo poo that pisses me off...

Normally I like my job, but we got a new CEO and it seems like poo poo like this is par for the course. We’ve had several things like this come down the pipe that were quite explicitly “maybe if some of these managers actually managed their employees... but nah, blanket policy” types of things.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

I cleaned vomit in movie theaters bathrooms for minimum wage and I'd have quit that call center job for the vomit if given the chance.

Who cleans up the vomit in call centers?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bob Morales posted:

Who cleans up the vomit in call centers?

"Other duties as needed."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Che Delilas posted:

"Other duties as needed."

:golfclap:

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Hiring people blows.. Can't afford to hire anyone expensive & good, but the ppl i can afford are not smart ones at all. Made an offer to a kid the other day & haven't heard from him since.. SIGH

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

A3th3r posted:

Hiring people blows.. Can't afford to hire anyone expensive & good, but the ppl i can afford are not smart ones at all. Made an offer to a kid the other day & haven't heard from him since.. SIGH

So, how far below market are you paying?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's not really the hiring process being poo poo, it's you/your employer.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I also worked in a call center briefly when I was in college. Basically we called recent customers at car dealerships' service centers, asked them about their experience, and reminded them to fill out and return their customer satisfaction survey card when it arrived in the mail. The former was really just fluff, the survey card reminder was the entire point of the call. It was a terrible soul-sucking job, and I'm glad I was only there a few months. At least we weren't trying to sell them anything, but being tied to a headset with your pay tightly bound to how many calls you averaged an hour was a terrible way to earn a living.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A3th3r posted:

Still offering art students half of market entry average?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

A3th3r posted:

tell me about it.. i tried to hire a gfx designer and she rejected me because i wasn't offering her enough money.. I dunno, new grads, you want jobs or not????????

A3th3r posted:

Enjoying watching this.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
My wife just got out of school and people were offering 25% under starting market wages, and getting offended when she said no.

People are cheap and stupid.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
"You get what you pay for" applies just as much to labor as it does to any other product or service.

If a company can't "afford" to pay something close to market rate for a position, then either they just don't want to because they're prioritizing short-term profits over the long-term health of the company, or they literally can't afford it because they are having cash flow issues and are in serious financial trouble. Either way, it's not a good sign.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mrit posted:

My wife just got out of school and people were offering 25% under starting market wages, and getting offended when she said no.

People are cheap and stupid.

You're always going to get people who think they can get something for nothing. Then they wonder why everyone they manage to attract are people who can barely operate a toaster without involving an ambulance.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dick Trauma posted:

And when that 40 year veteran supervisor of the call center dies, he's given a pitchfork and a job overseeing a customer satisfaction polling center which calls members of the damned to ask how their eternal torment is working out for them. Call times are very important, and we need to work to lower them, thanks guys. *Poke*

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Cell phone chat:

Recently, two mails went out right after each other.

One was to let people know that we were enabling MFA on a lot of things and here is how you put the app on your android or ithing.

One was to let people know that personal phones were to be put away and turned off while clocked in.

they were from the same person

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cool, they're giving everyone company iPhones!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

A3th3r posted:

have you tried gift cards for low-to-mid tier sit-down restaurants

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A3th3r posted:

Good. :smug:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hiring people blows... pay top of the market but still get people that fail to do factorial implementations. So basically, recruiters blow.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ursine Asylum posted:

have you tried gift cards for low-to-mid tier sit-down restaurants

God. My company is doing this for Friday Funday morale building exercises right now. Do some pointless poo poo for a $10 gift card to applebees. Hurray I can now afford an appetizer.

I don't take part in any of this poo poo. I'd rather take the half hour other people spend playing bean bag tic tac toe and stare at the wall or something.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Demonachizer posted:

Enjoying watching this.

I know, right? It is a sad, painful experience

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

A3th3r posted:

Do you get drunk before you post half the time?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A3th3r posted:

What kind of business do you work for?

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Sickening posted:

Clearly the kind that can't pay employees what they're worth, if these posts are to be believed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

Honestly I think he's just a low-effort troll. He pops into a thread once every few weeks, farts out a one-liner or some other shitpost (spelling correction, lol) and fucks off again for another few weeks.