Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
And then the guy who got kicked in the dick and then was out on his feet took the Blackzilians fighters back and won by RNC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
They should do even more interim belts.. who cares. If youre the champ and cant fight when they ask you they should just make an interim belt. People have short windows of opportunity when theyre in their prime and its dumb if the belt is just out of commission for a year of someones career because the champ is hurt. Let someone win a belt and it can be up to everyone else to decide if its valid or not. then they can unify it. Worked for werdum

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Presumably the five fights he cancelled on he then went on to fight those people later, so it's not like he would have fought them twice?

E: also saying you'd fight three times in a year when you haven't done that is silly.

Your first point is better than your second point. It's a pretty good one, but if we go down that road it's a whole lot of theorycraft.

I took from it that he doesn't feel he has been dogging it and I am inclined to agree.

Bubba Smith posted:

It'd be like if every time Donald Cerrone said "hell yeah I'll fight that guy" he got to count it toward his total for the year. And Cowboy would be crazy enough to do it.

Of course I do not mean it should count like he made it through those fights. I'm saying he wasn't saying that either. It sort of seems like he was saying no one else has been able to do that and he did try.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

Haha on The Ultima Fighter the ATT guy just got kicked in the dick super hard and the ref did nothing.

Watch the replay, that was the ribs, yo

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Watch the replay, that was the ribs, yo

Foot hit the ribs, shin hit the nuts.

Dana even saw the shin to the nuts. Even if it's the shin it's still a low blow and the fight should be stopped.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

manyak posted:

They should do even more interim belts.. who cares. If youre the champ and cant fight when they ask you they should just make an interim belt. People have short windows of opportunity when theyre in their prime and its dumb if the belt is just out of commission for a year of someones career because the champ is hurt. Let someone win a belt and it can be up to everyone else to decide if its valid or not. then they can unify it. Worked for werdum

Pretty much my feelings.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

And then the guy who got kicked in the dick and then was out on his feet took the Blackzilians fighters back and won by RNC.

lol, Glenn was so ridiculously salty

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

fatherdog posted:

lol, Glenn was so ridiculously salty

The Blackzilians sure do have a penchant for grabbing the fence in fights.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bundt Cake posted:

Interim titles, are they good or bad? Some people think they're good, some think they're bad. This was a delightful conclusion to the discussion of the merits of interim titles.

Interim titles are fine and serve a useful purpose when used appropriately. They basically require the champion to fight soon, or be stripped and see the interim champ get promoted.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

manyak posted:

agreed. This gets to bundt's point how nobody will ever be completely happy but UFC should make it absolute and either have them all the time or have none at all. If a champion gets injured it's an automatic interim title fight between the top two contenders. Unless the (IC) and (C) manage to avoid each other for years it won't be a problem. It will always work itself out before anybody cares too much. And everybody loves posters with a lot of shiny belts on them.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

The Blackzilians sure do have a penchant for grabbing the fence in fights.

That's literally everyone

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Le Saboteur posted:

I mean it took like a year and a half of Cain not fighting before an interim championship fight happened. Now Aldo has an injury that can be recovered from in 3-4 months and has to go through a title unification.
By a year and a half you mean 13 months?

That said, it seems plausible that Aldo could fight by UFC 193 in mid-November, which would be almost exactly a year after his last defense, so this is definitely premature compared to past interim bouts.

edit: I agree with the "make a standard and stick to it" point. But then again we are talking about a combat sport, and well, lol

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

How long was too long for Velazquez and Dom Cruz? Did it take longer than the same day of the of the official injury announcement for there to be an interim belt?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Sphinxster posted:

How long was too long for Velazquez and Dom Cruz? Did it take longer than the same day of the of the official injury announcement for there to be an interim belt?

Previously most of the time they would only do an interim title if there wasn't an established timeline for the champ to be back. So if the doctors said "Yes, he'll definitely be back in a year" they wouldn't do one, but if the doctors said "Eh, we dunno" they'd do one even if he wound up being back in three months.

This tosses that out the window entirely, of course.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Watching TUF...Glenn running that race looks like bald me with food poisoning trying to get to the bathroom with the Great American Challenge up my rear end. I applaud him for his effort

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Heavyweight has a storied history of interim belts but the most recent one with Cain was because he hosed over their first major push into Mexico. They promised new fans a championship fight and they were going to give them one. It took over a year for it to happen though. Cain fought in October 2013 and the interim belt was made on November 2014.

As for Dominick Cruz it was a similar situation where UFC needed a championship title defense for Calgary cause the rest of the card was poo poo, so they made it between Barao and Faber. However nobody knew how long Cruz was going to be out for at the time so in hindsight it would have made more sense to strip Cruz of the title.

Why are they doing an interim title fight at 189 when they already have a sweet championship fight on the card? Cause like 20% of the audience took out loans to come from Ireland to see the fight. They want those fans to be happy.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

^^ whistle the patter

fatherdog posted:

This tosses that out the window entirely, of course.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in some Fertitta/White/Whoever strategy sessions.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Dom Cruz chewing out the blackzillians fighter is pretty funny.

I don't think anyone did anything right in that fight. Ref hosed up on the 3 fouls and then not stopping he fight. Fight should have been stopped, but how that dude let a nearly knocked guy choke him out is hilarious.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bubba Smith posted:

agreed. This gets to bundt's point how nobody will ever be completely happy but UFC should make it absolute and either have them all the time or have none at all. If a champion gets injured it's an automatic interim title fight between the top two contenders. Unless the (IC) and (C) manage to avoid each other for years it won't be a problem. It will always work itself out before anybody cares too much. And everybody loves posters with a lot of shiny belts on them.

I think that due to how the Reebok deal is shaping out, the UFC should absolutely do an interim belt any time the champ has to pull out and thus ensuring bigger paydays for more fighters.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

1st AD posted:

I think that due to how the Reebok deal is shaping out, the UFC should absolutely do an interim belt any time the champ has to pull out and thus ensuring bigger paydays for more fighters.

I agree with this. I know I heard this on the Sonnencast but I thought it before that-- if you can't fight you are not the baddest dude on the planet at your weight class that day.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
If I ran the UFC, I think I'd have a 9 month rule: If we have a championship bout and the champ has to cancel, then we look at the calendar. If the last defense was less than 9 months before the cancelled fight, then we're good. Otherwise, we'll create an interim title. Also, it wouldn't be a hard 9 months, if it ends up being 8 months and 27 days or 9 months and 2 days, then do whatever makes sense based on history and that division's title picture.

Its probably not reasonable to expect champions to fight twice a year every year without fail, but 3 times every 2 and a quarter years seems like not too much to ask for.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

1st AD posted:

oh, I hadn't even thought of that. I'm for anything that gives more money to fighters.

gently caress it, lets have an interim championship every time a champ has to cancel, unless its for only a month and he can fight on the very next PPV.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The idea of the sanctity of a belt's lineage is dumb because for the most part everybody fights everyone else in the UFC, an intercontinental champion isn't going to duck the world champion or anything like that. And since I think injuries will become more common as PED testing starts ramping up, let's just let the belts fly and get more fighters on the champion pay scale.

It's not like guys like Mighty Mouse or TJ Dillashaw are benefitting financially from being the One True Champion™ at 125 anyways

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Here's the dilemma I feel like the UFC has put themselves in; if Conor loses where does he go? Does he drop in the rankings and maybe re match Holloway if Holloway wins in Canada? Or does he stay where he is and fight Frankie?

This loss just seems to have a way higher risk of killing Conor's momentum.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Chael lost to Anderson twice and talked himself into a fight with Jon Jones, I'm sure Conor will be fine.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

if UFC were reluctant to match Conor up with Edgar while he's on a roll they're sure as gently caress not going to risk him dropping two in a row. A fighter can lose a fight and recover just fine. A fighter loses two in a row and everyone tells him to retire. It's bad.

So what I'm saying is if you think Conor has been "protected" thus far you haven't seen poo poo yet if he does lose before becoming a champion.

Anyways my money has always been on UFC doing Aldo vs McGregor no matter what. UFC matches up guys coming off of a loss against the champion all the time if it makes money. GSP vs Diaz, Chael vs Jones, and even Aldo vs Edgar are all recent examples. An interim title will be floating around but nobody will care too much because as great as Aldo vs Mendes II was we know that Aldo is the better fighter.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

That would be another weird precedent for the UFC to set though wouldn't it? Has skipping a title unification fight first ever happened?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Le Saboteur posted:

That would be another weird precedent for the UFC to set though wouldn't it? Has skipping a title unification fight first ever happened?

Edit:not what you meant, my bad

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
"Undefeated" is a fun attribute they like to repeat an infinite number of times in promos but when it comes to a lot of people liking a fighter it's like the 4th most important factor, tops

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

Kind of, Lesnar beat Couture and Mir beat Nog like a month apart and didn't fight until 6 months later.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

You are under the mistaken impression that the UFC has to or cares about adhering to precedents

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bubba Smith posted:

if UFC were reluctant to match Conor up with Edgar while he's on a roll they're sure as gently caress not going to risk him dropping two in a row. A fighter can lose a fight and recover just fine. A fighter loses two in a row and everyone tells him to retire. It's bad.

So what I'm saying is if you think Conor has been "protected" thus far you haven't seen poo poo yet if he does lose before becoming a champion.

Anyways my money has always been on UFC doing Aldo vs McGregor no matter what. UFC matches up guys coming off of a loss against the champion all the time if it makes money. GSP vs Diaz, Chael vs Jones, and even Aldo vs Edgar are all recent examples. An interim title will be floating around but nobody will care too much because as great as Aldo vs Mendes II was we know that Aldo is the better fighter.

The UFC is not going to tell the interim champ to gently caress off and wait for Aldo/Conor, right after he beat Conor.

The interim champ has to fight the champion unless he somehow is no longer the interim champ through inactivity or drugs or whatever. Thats a line the UFC won't cross.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

"Undefeated" is a fun attribute they like to repeat an infinite number of times in promos but when it comes to a lot of people liking a fighter it's like the 4th most important factor, tops
1. Stupid Hair

2. Hilarious Body (Fat/Short/Ugly/Tattoos)

3. Gets Extra Stupid Around Microphones

4. Good @ Martial Arts Maybe

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Dangersim posted:

Barao was promoted to undisputed champion when Cruz got hurt yet again. I believe Arlovski was as well.

That's a promotion sure and that seems fine but we're talking about Mendes winning the interim then instead of having Mendes and Aldo unify it have McGregor fight Aldo and possibly have to unify it with Mendes if he wins after? That would be pretty odd.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Le Saboteur posted:

Dana will hide precedent under the big pile of money Conor makes him.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's happened before, who cares.

The gold belt is meaningless except as a means to sell tickets and PPV buys.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

Barao was promoted to undisputed champion when Cruz got hurt yet again. I believe Arlovski was as well.

And the point is to the best of my knowledge the interim champion has yet to have two losses to the current champion. Almost always it's a fight that hasn't happened yet or it's worked out where both guys end up having a win over each other. Like Mir vs Lesnar was first contested as a normal match where Mir won, and then for the unification match Lesnar was the champion and beat Mir. Mendes has lost to Aldo two times in both title matches. There's no rush for a 3rd.

A couple of people online would complain that Mendes vs Aldo III isn't happening right away but the rest of the world wouldn't even notice. Chad might be a little ticked off but I doubt it to be honest. He would be a UFC champion and guaranteed a fight against either Aldo who beat him twice or against McGregor who he just beat. Why would he care if he took the rest of 2015 off and waited for the winner of that match to maybe become the biggest star of the sport? It's only going to help him out in the long run.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Northjayhawk posted:

The UFC is not going to tell the interim champ to gently caress off and wait for Aldo/Conor, right after he beat Conor.

The interim champ has to fight the champion unless he somehow is no longer the interim champ through inactivity or drugs or whatever. Thats a line the UFC won't cross.

lmao are you serious? A line UFC won't cross???

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The only reasonable scenario I can think of is if the interim champ sustained an extremely serious injury during the fight, like he blew out a tendon but still managed to win the fight anyway and now he's looking at a year to recover. Well, OK in that case they aren't going to force Aldo to sit around for a year, thats a situation that hasn't come up yet but they'd have to do something.

We won't have a situation where we have a healthy Aldo and a healthy interim champ both ready to roll and the UFC goes "nah, fight this other guy instead", they have to unify if the opportunity is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If Chad wins then his next opponent is Frankie Edgar and Conor fights Aldo.

• Locked thread