Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

One day Kommando might learn not to bring extrinsic material into the mafia thread.

One day...

And yet you all use historical data from past mafia for every game.

Matthew Beet posted:

Also I'm deadly serious. Let's all Mass claim tomorrow. It'll be fun!

gently caress it, one game we will do this and after Birdstrikes find an egg game this is the time to pull silly poo poo.

Birdstrike posted:

ehh, it's a 3rd tier uni

Lololololololol

Kat Delacour posted:

Gwyn is never worried about sounding scummy.

Kat Delacour posted:

I don't know what to do without Anidav :smith:

Someone say something stupid

"Touch me again and I'll kill you."

Matthew Beet posted:

Quick! Click that question mark under your avatar.

:laffo:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Don't worry, early game paranoia leads to everyone calling everyone scum regardless.

Remember that time MMG was scum and killed his scumbro with Mithranderp... Good times.

Scum.

:yarr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Kommando posted:

And yet you all use historical data from past mafia for every game.

gently caress it, one game we will do this and after Birdstrikes find an egg game this is the time to pull silly poo poo.

Lololololololol

"Touch me again and I'll kill you."

:laffo:

Remember that time MMG was scum and killed his scumbro with Mithranderp... Good times.

Scum.

:yarr:

Are you off your face already? It's not even 5:30.

I know you modified my quote about Gwyn, I don't know what else you've changed in there.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Gwynplaine posted:

The fact that I'm an imbecile had not escaped my attention, no.

I got a giggle out of this.

Then...

Gwynplaine posted:

Already got two pieces of paper on my wall that get me no work. May as well get a third that I have any level of actual ability in. Working part time and doing a short course in forensics and profiling to build up the money so I can pay for my training upfront.

:smith:

I feel you bro. Science in Queensland.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Ok so as usual on d1 I have no reads on anyone.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Tirade posted:

Ok so as usual on d1 I have no reads on anyone.

Actually that's not quite true. TOML's vote for me was a bit weird since Hiipfire has three posts in here, all of which from before the game began. The excuse of "ahh he's just foreign so has trouble with timezones" is a bit poo poo too - he was so absent in the last game I played that the mod (kommando?) was trying to decide whether to modkill him.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Matthew Beet posted:

Anywhooo that's by the by. He has flat out said in the past he'd never lynch you.

Must be another one of those lies. :shrug:

Weighing in on this as I catch up, Gwynn has also flat out refused to nightkill Gaspy when we were both scum.

In addition to that Gwyn has soft role claimed as "someone with a lot of powers" (paraphrasing). On day 1.

##vote Gwynplaine

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

SKY COQ posted:

Weighing in on this as I catch up, Gwynn has also flat out refused to nightkill Gaspy when we were both scum.

In addition to that Gwyn has soft role claimed as "someone with a lot of powers" (paraphrasing). On day 1.

##vote Gwynplaine

##vote sky coq

why would you want to vote a town if they have powers coq?

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
I'd RATHER not get lynched day one. But if we have no other ideas I guess we could. I'll flip town and it'll further prove that getting a scum read on me is pointless. I'm more trouble than I'm worth with a power anyways.

Lets DEFINITELY NOT lynch any cruisey lurkers day one. Wouldn't want THAT to happen! I don't even wanna THINK about it! man oh man! Whew!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gwynplaine posted:

I'd RATHER not get lynched day one. But if we have no other ideas I guess we could. I'll flip town and it'll further prove that getting a scum read on me is pointless. I'm more trouble than I'm worth with a power anyways.

Lets DEFINITELY NOT lynch any cruisey lurkers day one. Wouldn't want THAT to happen! I don't even wanna THINK about it! man oh man! Whew!

Uhh no, that's exactly what the game of mafia is about gumshoe.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Matthew Beet posted:

##vote sky coq

why would you want to vote a town if they have powers coq?

Come on mate, Anidav's pulled this poo poo before and we still policy lynch him for it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I don't want to vote a town but I am very suss on someone who, unprompted, essentially roleclaims day 1.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

SKY COQ posted:

I don't want to vote a town but I am very suss on someone who, unprompted, essentially roleclaims day 1.

Yeah but now that he has it's a bit dumb to assume he's full of poo poo. Just treat it with caution and consider lynching him in a day or two if he avoids getting nightkilled / doesn't provide anything useful.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Matthew Beet posted:

Uhh no, that's exactly what the game of mafia is about gumshoe.

For you.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
In light of all the conversation going on about mass roleclaims it seemed kind of a cop out too. poo poo or get off the pot sorta thing.

I don't know that I'd VOTE for him over it, Bif is right, make him show us the data.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Kat Delacour posted:

In light of all the conversation going on about mass roleclaims it seemed kind of a cop out too. poo poo or get off the pot sorta thing.

I don't know that I'd VOTE for him over it, Bif is right, make him show us the data.

:siren: bredcrum spotted :siren:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

trying to case people to find scum is not the purpose of mafia?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

well for town obviously. trying to not look scummy is the MO for scum

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah, I'm suss on him too Coq, but if he's going to put that on the table we could at least wait and see what he's got D2. If he's town he might draw a kill or block from scum that would've gone to someone else if we lost him today.

If he doesn't have anything useful tomorrow, let's see about lynching him then. If he's oh so conveniently blocked, we can turn on him and if it turns out he was town, we at least learned the scum got a roleblocker.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I'm saying that so many things are scummy and are KNOWN to be scummy that looking for what's traditionally scummy is not particularly effective. People keep jumping on innocent town because the way they act is apparently 'scummy as gently caress', seems to be wrong more often than not. Might be selective recognition. Might not.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I've seen town Gwyn do this before so I'm not really considering voting him right now.

What I'm more interested in is observing that Gaspy's ability to read Beet seems to have ceased once they stopped being on the same scumteam. They had a whole big slapperoo today and not one comment on alignment.

makes u think

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah, I'm suss on him too Coq, but if he's going to put that on the table we could at least wait and see what he's got D2. If he's town he might draw a kill or block from scum that would've gone to someone else if we lost him today.

If he doesn't have anything useful tomorrow, let's see about lynching him then. If he's oh so conveniently blocked, we can turn on him and if it turns out he was town, we at least learned the scum got a roleblocker.

bif is being very town like this game

it makes me suss :v:

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Seriously folks. You can just lynch me. I always waste any power I have.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Birdstrike posted:

I've seen town Gwyn do this before so I'm not really considering voting him right now.

What I'm more interested in is observing that Gaspy's ability to read Beet seems to have ceased once they stopped being on the same scumteam. They had a whole big slapperoo today and not one comment on alignment.

makes u think

gaspy hasn't been able to read me for a bunch of games. evidence: the last couple of games where i've been scum and he was town.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gwynplaine posted:

stop the anidav routine please gwyn

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I think we can agree that we need to lynch today. I don't want it being a hot mess near deadline so I thought I would do a small effort post.

The two posters that have been making the most sense to me today have been Bif and BS. Mainly because they were the most vocal in their opposition about us all revealing our roles/powers on D1.

Kat is being her usual angry self, can't really tell.

Beet and Gaspy both had a really bad start. I know that we have been over this before but it favours scum to let them know who has the power roles. Especially since not everyone has a power and they can hide behind vanilla claims.

Gwyn is being Gwyn, Beet made a clear role claim and Gapsy hasn't taken his back either. To say that they were clearly joking is weird. That said, Gwyn has been like that in every game I have played with him when he was town.

TOML hasn't really added anything except for jokes.

I was going to put Kommando in the same category as TOML, but it looks like he has just started trying to scum hunt.

There are also the low posters Mith, Tirade and Coq That really hadn't added anything. Coq keeps popping in with a vote and then ducking out again. Also is claiming Gwyn claimed before prompted - though I think people were voting for him by then.

I guess I should add myself to the low post count group. I just try not to post white noise.

MMG hasn't really added anything and Exakt science is probably asleep but was active early this morning.

TL;DR; We have to lynch, least suss on Bif and BS.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Gwynplaine posted:

Appearing scummy as a town is actually a good skill for a town to have, particularly one with a role.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Matthew Beet posted:

bif is being very town like this game

it makes me suss :v:

Beet can actually tell I'm town, same! :cheeky:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

see i'm suss on coq for rushing to kill the possibly town role claimant. be a great opportunity for scum "hay this guy role claimed lets get 'im!"

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I can only assume Gaspy is at work.

Matthew Beet posted:

stop the anidav routine please gwyn

Is that an Anidav thing to do? I thought he always fought it.
I wont vote for myself or anything. But we should never not lynch day one.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Freudian Slip posted:

Beet and Gaspy both had a really bad start. I know that we have been over this before but it favours scum to let them know who has the power roles. Especially since not everyone has a power and they can hide behind vanilla claims.

blah blah because i wanted to get everyone to mass claim to try something different, but no, everyone is scared of trying something different incase we lose even though there will be a new auspol mafia game posted within 5 minutes of this one ending.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Gwynplaine posted:

I'm saying that so many things are scummy and are KNOWN to be scummy that looking for what's traditionally scummy is not particularly effective. People keep jumping on innocent town because the way they act is apparently 'scummy as gently caress', seems to be wrong more often than not. Might be selective recognition. Might not.

Eh, scum will, by necessity, have to do things that don't make sense from a town perspective. So it's worthwhile looking for things that don't add up, even if it's a bit of a long bow. That's pretty much the only way to scumhunt, either that or catching out someone that's poo poo at lying (gaspy does this p. well with his linguistic forensics trick).

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

Appearing scummy as a town is actually a good skill for a town to have, particularly one with a role.

I will say, I think it's the reason I keep surviving quite late into games. The scum team generally figures they can keep me around as a scape goat because it easy to get heat on me. It's why I don't tend to suspect those who put heat on me day one. If they're scum, they lack planning.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Freudian Slip posted:

I think we can agree that we need to lynch today. I don't want it being a hot mess near deadline so I thought I would do a small effort post.

The two posters that have been making the most sense to me today have been Bif and BS. Mainly because they were the most vocal in their opposition about us all revealing our roles/powers on D1.

Kat is being her usual angry self, can't really tell.

Gwyn is being Gwyn, Beet made a clear role claim and Gapsy hasn't taken his back either. To say that they were clearly joking is weird. That said, Gwyn has been like that in every game I have played with him when he was town.

TOML hasn't really added anything except for jokes.

I was going to put Kommando in the same category as TOML, but it looks like he has just started trying to scum hunt.

There are also the low posters Mith, Tirade and Coq That really hadn't added anything. Coq keeps popping in with a vote and then ducking out again. Also is claiming Gwyn claimed before prompted - though I think people were voting for him by then.

I guess I should add myself to the low post count group. I just try not to post white noise.

MMG hasn't really added anything and Exakt science is probably asleep but was active early this morning.

TL;DR; We have to lynch, least suss on Bif and BS.

Don't see Hiipfire on this list.

##vote Hiipfire

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Matthew Beet posted:

see i'm suss on coq for rushing to kill the possibly town role claimant. be a great opportunity for scum "hay this guy role claimed lets get 'im!"

I just think it's super suss, though I take your and bif's points that we can give him enough rope to hang himself later.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Freudian Slip posted:

also this is bullshit. the people who will be most against a mass claim (in my latest theory) will only be the SCUM team, because:

• they know they can't all claim vanilla town
  • they know they can't go first on the claim to risk being caught out with a counter claim so they will be the ones claiming right at the end.
  • if they are scum and tell us their real role it could conflict with a town role (eg two role blockers, one for each team)

So we focus conflicts, those who wait at the end to claim and on the vanillas claims in that order.

but nooooo that's too complicated for auspol town.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

SKY COQ posted:

I just think it's super suss, though I take your and bif's points that we can give him enough rope to hang himself later.

or so you can night kill him tonight? like it would ahve been good if you got us to lynch him though.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Matthew Beet posted:

or so you can night kill him tonight? like it would ahve been good if you got us to lynch him though.

- A man who attempted to organise a mass day 1 roleclaim

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tirade posted:

Don't see Hiipfire on this list.

##vote Hiipfire

I like that you pointed this out!

##vote HiipFire

I do feel bad for him if he gets D1 lynched again, but the possibility that he could be defended by a scumbro FS, or TOML for that matter, makes me intrigued.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

SKY COQ posted:

- A man who attempted to organise a mass day 1 roleclaim

i actually relented and said d2. go read my arguments for why it's a benefit and argue against them.

i'll get you started

SKY COQ posted:

I don't like roleclaims because It'll be obvious I waited until the end because I am scum and don't want to risk a counter claim by going early.

see? easy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Matthew Beet posted:

also this is bullshit. the people who will be most against a mass claim (in my latest theory) will only be the SCUM team, because:

• they know they can't all claim vanilla town
  • they know they can't go first on the claim to risk being caught out with a counter claim so they will be the ones claiming right at the end.
  • if they are scum and tell us their real role it could conflict with a town role (eg two role blockers, one for each team)

So we focus conflicts, those who wait at the end to claim and on the vanillas claims in that order.

but nooooo that's too complicated for auspol town.

I'm not against mass roleclaims in general and have pushed for them in the past, but it's probably more useful for town in a game where we know it's role heavy. Right now we've got two people (I think) that have claimed vanilla town and one that has claimed a "role". If it's role light then lighting up our roles for scum to pick off doesn't seem like such a great move.

• Locked thread