Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Simple Simon posted:

What's the best 16:10 monitor that's about 24". For around 2000kr aka 240 USD?

Got and Samsung that I'm happy with but thinking about going for one more Samsung. Or should I go Dell?

Looking at UltraSharp U2412M, Dell UltraSharp U2415 or Samsung S24C650DW.

I like my U2412Ms a whole lot for normal desktop work but they're a little slow for twitch gaming. They're a fantastic buy for $200-$250 USD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Perfect! Thanks for the link. Looks like that Asus PG279Q will be more toe-to-toe with the Acer XB270HU. But it sounds like both companies have QC issues with their high end monitors out of the gate. Nothing for it but to wait and see.

I guess Acer and Asus are the only two duking it out in this space?

BurritoJustice posted:

All of the first of their kind have had QC issues when first released. Such is life on the bleeding edge. By all reports the likelihood of getting a good XB270HU has increased since launch. The Swift had ridiculously bad QC issues for months after launch but they are pretty much stable now.

I wouldn't consider the PG278Q to really be in the same ballpark at all, considering the difference between TN and IPS.

Yeah, it sounds like the upcoming PG279Q is their answer to the XB270HU. But I'm neither brave enough nor space-rich enough to try my luck with the first batch. I'm not looking to buy a new monitor until closer to fall so maybe this situation will shake out by then.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 1, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

McCracAttack posted:

Other companies will join the fray eventually, but don't expect anything out of the likes of Dell, HP, etc. for a long while--"high end gaming" isn't really their market, after all, and there's basically no reason for 144Hz + *sync for $$ vs 60Hz if you're just going to use it for office work and such. (yes, yes, I know it makes everything 'smoother', but the market segment Dell is selling to would rather save the $400)

I'd expect to see something out of BenQ sooner rather than later, considering their extensive lineup of 144Hz TN gaming monitors.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

Perfect! Thanks for the link. Looks like that Asus PG279Q will be more toe-to-toe with the Acer XB270HU. But it sounds like both companies have QC issues with their high end monitors out of the gate. Nothing for it but to wait and see.

Yeah, it sounds like the upcoming PG279Q is their answer to the XB270HU. But I'm neither brave enough nor space-rich enough to try my luck with the first batch. I'm not looking to buy a new monitor until closer to fall so maybe this situation will shake out by then.

The PG279Q also comes with 3D Vision support, and second gen GSync which has a HDMI port in addition to the standard DP. It'll probably also end up being more expensive because Asus.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I am in the market for a new monitor for all around purposes - but mostly gaming - but I can wait until late September to purchase it when I fly again to the US.

I am used to 1920x1200 (Dell WFP2008) and I was thinking of going 1440p. I was hoping to find 2560x1600 monitors out there, but apparently these are rare and no longer produced outside of 30 inches?

One key question: should I bother with G-sync? Those who use it, is the difference really worth the premium?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gsync is great. I target my settings at 65 fps and don't care about occasional drops, whereas before I had to turn things down farther to avoid getting jerkiness when I missed 60Hz.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you are primarily gaming the g-sync/144hz combo is absolutely fantastic. That said, worth the premium? Eh. I'm indifferent. Right after getting the monitor it was a huge revelation, but I think now I'm just used to it and it's the new normal to where I almost can't tell anymore? I'd have to go back and forth to my old monitor to see how jarring going back to a normal screen is. I consider the one I got money well spent, but how much the effect matters to people seems to vary extremely widely. I value the very good black levels and low backlight bleed/IPS glow that I got almost as much as the other fancy bits.

The 2008wfp was an especially slow monitor in terms of both response time and input lag as well, so anything modern will be a large step up, too.

e: I'm one of those people that didn't really care about tearing, but juddering drives me absolutely nuts, so I typically always ran with vsync off. No more tearing OR juddger is certainly really nice. Although momentary FPS dips with gsync active have their own kind of weird effects.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gwaihir posted:

If you are primarily gaming the g-sync/144hz combo is absolutely fantastic. That said, worth the premium? Eh. I'm indifferent. Right after getting the monitor it was a huge revelation, but I think now I'm just used to it and it's the new normal to where I almost can't tell anymore? I'd have to go back and forth to my old monitor to see how jarring going back to a normal screen is.

I accidentally set my screen back to 60Hz and spent a few days trying to figure out what was wrong with my GPUs because it felt broken even on the desktop.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah I spin the mouse around on my 2nd monitor occasionally just to be 'wow, look at all those extra frames on the Acer' every now and again.

Turning on ULMB for the desktop is pretty good as well, you can slowly scroll a webpage and the text stays crystal clear - it's hard to explain if you haven't seen it but it's a huge difference (not one that enables you to do anything in particular but it is a bonus.)

Edit: I also am now annoyed by movies being at such a low framerate. I wasn't bothered by the Hobbit so maybe it's just me, but now I can pick out the individual frames when watching a movie and it's just not good. People say it's cinematic or whatever but really it's just what people are used to, and once you're used to something better you can perceive how lousy the old way is. But I appreciate it's a matter of individual taste.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 1, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'll have to try that, I leave it gsync mode so I haven't fooled around with the ULMB settings yet. I do find myself just doing nonstop aileron rolls in war thunder while going "Yup there used to be so much pixel overshoot there!" The U3014 had such bad overdrive issues :(

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

I accidentally set my screen back to 60Hz and spent a few days trying to figure out what was wrong with my GPUs because it felt broken even on the desktop.

I fired up Project CARS yesterday and for some reason it had decided after the patch that 1080p@50Hz was a great idea. Suddenly refreshing at almost 1/3 of the normal speed was like driving in to a school zone on a divided highway.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I've pulled the trigger on a AOC U3477PQU. Should get here in a week. I note there's been a few issues with backlight bleed, but that seems typical of ultrawide IPS screens, and the price was unbeatable for the specs. Will post once I've got it set up, although I'm going to have to upgrade the card to drive it as well, since the one I've got now (HD6950) is going to be woefully underpowered for it.

smushroomed
May 24, 2009
Very close to picking up acer 4k gsync monitor. I have an rog swift, but I really want to experience 4k gaming for myself.

I don't play twitch games competitively, so 30-60 fps should be enough for me with gsync.

Any one have thoughts on 4k gsync vs 1550p gsync 144fps gaming?

I have 980ti SLI

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a 144hz monitor soon, mainly for CS:GO. I think I want to stick with 1080p, since I've always used that in CS:GO and it looks good enough for me when playing other things. Looking for something around 24" but size isn't really a factor, I just don't want something too small. Are there some new monitors coming out in the next month or so that I should wait for? If not, what's the best option for me at the moment?

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 4, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

smushroomed posted:

Very close to picking up acer 4k gsync monitor. I have an rog swift, but I really want to experience 4k gaming for myself.

I don't play twitch games competitively, so 30-60 fps should be enough for me with gsync.

Any one have thoughts on 4k gsync vs 1550p gsync 144fps gaming?

I have 980ti SLI

Don't get the 4k one it's a TN panel. Get the XB270HU.

smushroomed
May 24, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Don't get the 4k one it's a TN panel. Get the XB270HU.

The xb270h is a 1440p monitor. I already have an rog swift. I was looking for a 4k monitor

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Please don't buy an expensive monitor with a panel that looks like something from the early 00s. I'm pretty sure you want to experience 4K, not gradientsK.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I'm currently using two monitors side by side, and it's the same model (Dell u2412h). They are beginning to show slightly different colours, and instead of eyeballing it I think I can splurge a little bit (and maybe get a few friends to chip in together) for a hardware calibrator.

The OP is a bit old, so I figure it can't hurt to ask: If I'm not after anything too advanced (I don't do anything work related requiring colours, so my knowledge is very slim), but also want it to be something reliable, is there a specific hardware calibrator I should go for?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Could be you accidentally reset the settings in Dell Display Manager - I managed to do that, because you don't have to click OK to save the settings.

You can just look at a review of the monitor on FlatPanels or TFT Central (in that order) and use their calibration config. That's what I do, and it always brings great results - unless they explicitly say that monitors differ too much.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does GSync/FreeSync help in any way with watching movies? I'd figure if my favorite video player vsyncs at 48hz instead of 60hz, it can play 24p content smoothly.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

Please don't buy an expensive monitor with a panel that looks like something from the early 00s. I'm pretty sure you want to experience 4K, not gradientsK.

Plenty of people are perfectly happy with their Beats™.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Wulfolme posted:

Plenty of people are perfectly happy with their Beats™.

Beats do a pretty good job of reproducing audio, even $20 headphones do a good enough job. TN monitors look objectively bad.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does GSync/FreeSync help in any way with watching movies? I'd figure if my favorite video player vsyncs at 48hz instead of 60hz, it can play 24p content smoothly.

Maybe it would need to be set at 47.952 Hz? Most content is 23.976. I, too, am interested if this is trivial to do.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

SwissCM posted:

Beats do a pretty good job of reproducing audio, even $20 headphones do a good enough job. TN monitors look objectively bad.

Dude, they both take what was given to them to pass on to the user and mangle it. It's just one is a shortcoming of cheap technology and one is a shortcoming of public expectation.

I will make a loudness war etc. effortpost in here. Don't you push me.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Wulfolme posted:

Dude, they both take what was given to them to pass on to the user and mangle it. It's just one is a shortcoming of cheap technology and one is a shortcoming of public expectation.

What I was getting at is that audio is far more subjective than video can be. I know about compression and the like, but most people don't really care.

Compared to video where the poo poo viewing angles and bad color reproduction are visible with TN screens even at a glance.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Wulfolme posted:

Whoa whoa whoa everybody just settle down here we don't need this to get out of hand... :classiclol:

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

SwissCM posted:

What I was getting at is that audio is far more subjective than video can be. I know about compression and the like, but most people don't really care.

Compared to video where the poo poo viewing angles and bad color reproduction are visible with TN screens even at a glance.

Most people just think that's how music sounds, and most people think that's just how computer monitors look.

ITS NOT SUBJECTIVE

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

SwissCM posted:

I will contest that a lot of people are incredibly bad at both. Wife couldn't tell the difference between an SD movie and 720p movie and that's supposed to be the biggest jump in clarity. She also can't tell the difference between a 128 kbps aac and the FLAC copy of the same track on some pretty decent headphones. Yet she's the one that swears left and right that LPs sound better. Ah, and yes she prefers incandescent bulbs because they seem more "natural" to her. She also couldn't tell that a set of speakers of hers she had for 10 years had been completely blown out from being overdriven so much. I don't expect people to ABX 224 kbps VBR LAME mp3s and FLAC but the things people accept as "pretty good" in audio are just :gonk:

Consumers :smith:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone have a suggestion on a good companion monitor to a 27" 1440p? I have the QNIX right now, but want a second monitor for TS, Spotify etc. I'd love to get another 27", but I think I really only have the real estate for a ~20"

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
So nvidia is still ignoring activesync and free sync for the immediate future? The asus ips seems nicer than the acer and it's only 599.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BrettRobb posted:

So nvidia is still ignoring activesync and free sync for the immediate future? The asus ips seems nicer than the acer and it's only 599.

Yes. They make no money on freesync, whereas they make money on every gsync monitor sold. You do the math. Also, for the moment, gsync is objectively better by virtue of being able to support a wider range of refresh rates and (on some monitors) also work with blur-reduction technologies. *sync will get there at some point, but it's not there yet.

Which is sad, because saving $100+ off a monitor would be nice, and I still don't trust anything with the Acer name on it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

HalloKitty posted:

Maybe it would need to be set at 47.952 Hz? Most content is 23.976. I, too, am interested if this is trivial to do.
In MPC-HC, you can make it play movies in dedicated fullscreen mode (think games) with custom framerates. You can even map playback rates to refresh rates.

Of course, that doesn't help with Netflix.

--edit: Eh, I tried NVidia's custom modes and put my secondary display in 47.952hz mode and run MPC in fullscreen. Seems to work, video is suddenly so much smoother!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 4, 2015

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Okay after reading this thread, I'm looking into a QNIX. Are these the two that are still recommended the most (and do people think the glossy screen is worth the extra $50?):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH2CA3490&cm_re=qnix-_-9SIA4JH2CA3490-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH2NP8621&cm_re=qnix-_-9SIA4JH2NP8621-_-Product

Additionally, I'm planning on going to a triple-monitor setup for various coding and statistical stuff (I have two of these already: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236288). A few questions:

1) I'm going to be grabbing a 970 to drive the three monitors (if I game it will just be on the QNIX, not going to try and do any multi-monitor gaming), are there issues with driving multiple monitors with different resolutions?
2) The stands on my existing monitors don't allow for portrait mode (or really any adjustment), so I was planning on picking up a vesa mount that can handle three monitors, since it sounds like the QNIX stand is also mediocre. Does anyone see any blatant problems with this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JG9RQ2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1LR1U05TED2NA&coliid=I1SFHMY94YOEOH

Does this all sound reasonable?

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

We are the Unity 3D community. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Hi folks.

I can safely assume my PC will push either UHD ("4k) or HFR (120/144hz) at a workable framerate, (60 for UHD, 120+ for HFR) but of course I can't really do both. My budget for a new panel is about $800, give or take, and I am heavily biased towards the color reproduction of IPS panels; I likely won't consider a TN panel. My primary use is for gaming, and I'm looking to buy sometimes this calendar year. (i.e. not necessarily right away if there is a reason to wait)

How best can I decide between the two technologies?

- Are there any shops that routinely have both available for an in-person demo in a game? (I live in Vancouver Canada but visit the Seattle area reasonably frequently)
- Are there any recommended write-ups comparing the benefits of the two directly for gaming? (I've already read these two HFR articles)
- Do you have any personal thoughts regarding the differences between the two technologies for gaming?

Thanks!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
If you want real reviews other than clippings, I suggest heading over to http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Nilisco
Sep 11, 2001
Looking for something with decent black levels. I like IPS and currently use a U2412M, but I'm tired of black levels looking like pure trash. Looks like a dark blue with the screen black.

Wanted a 27" but VA monitors only go up to 1920 on them which seems like a waste. I don't want to go to 32" so is my best bet getting a decently reviewed 24" VA?

U2715H looks nice, but I just don't want to swing IPS again.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Nilisco posted:

Looking for something with decent black levels. I like IPS and currently use a U2412M, but I'm tired of black levels looking like pure trash. Looks like a dark blue with the screen black.

Wanted a 27" but VA monitors only go up to 1920 on them which seems like a waste. I don't want to go to 32" so is my best bet getting a decently reviewed 24" VA?

U2715H looks nice, but I just don't want to swing IPS again.

The Ezio FG2421 is a 1080p 120Hz VA panel that actually runs 240Hz natively with alternated black frames that help with motion acuity. It is well reviewed, if pricey

Nilisco
Sep 11, 2001

BurritoJustice posted:

The Ezio FG2421 is a 1080p 120Hz VA panel that actually runs 240Hz natively with alternated black frames that help with motion acuity. It is well reviewed, if pricey

wow, if there was an updated model of that or it was 100-200 bucks cheaper, that'd be perfect. will consider

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Nilisco posted:

wow, if there was an updated model of that or it was 100-200 bucks cheaper, that'd be perfect. will consider
Sadly there isn't, and probably won't be--all the new-fangled releases are IPS based. Also note that it apparently had some pretty gnarly QA issues, so if you opt for it be prepared for some monitor roulette until you get a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilisco
Sep 11, 2001

DrDork posted:

Sadly there isn't, and probably won't be--all the new-fangled releases are IPS based. Also note that it apparently had some pretty gnarly QA issues, so if you opt for it be prepared for some monitor roulette until you get a good one.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Ended up settling on the S29E790C. Doesn't seem well advertised or reviewed yet, but the larger model is getting decent reviews. Good price and the contrast seems decent. I'll post a small review after I get it.