Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
poo poo pissing me off: updating Windows on 10 new laptops that say Pentium on them but are actually glorified Bay Trail Atom processors. The update process is pegging core 0, but apparently does not know how to mulithread, so it's only using 25% of a poo poo tablet CPU. At least it doesn't overheat at idle like my Intel ComputeStick does.

I'm getting real sick of Intel's monopoly on CPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

poo poo pissing me off...

I need a laptop for my job. My first laptop was a suitable Dell Inspiron with a docking station, keyboard, mouse and two monitors but the TPM Chip didn't meet security requirements.

My contractor ordered a replacement, another Dell which is essentially a abomination of cheap glossy plastic and so much that I can feel/see bend as pick it up. Nobody bother to check the TPM Requirements and this model doesn't even have the required chip.

My newest replacement is a relatively used T430u. Granted, it's showing age but Ivy Bridge isn't that bad but the docking they sent with isn't actually a docking station. It's a port replicator so instead of directly connecting several devices to my laptop I connect several devices to the docking station and I'm spared by only having to plug in one USB cable as opposed to two.

The port replicator only supports DVI which my laptop does not as it has just Display Port and HDMI while my monitors are VGA/DVI and Display Port. I only get to use one monitor!

Just before leaving work I emailed one my managers explaining the whole situation and he came back that they've gone over their IT Equipment budget and he'll have to order a docking station. I flipped that laptop over and this model doesn't accept a dock. :bang:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

I need a laptop for my job. My first laptop was a suitable Dell Inspiron with a docking station, keyboard, mouse and two monitors but the TPM Chip didn't meet security requirements.

My contractor ordered a replacement, another Dell which is essentially a abomination of cheap glossy plastic and so much that I can feel/see bend as pick it up. Nobody bother to check the TPM Requirements and this model doesn't even have the required chip.

My newest replacement is a relatively used T430u. Granted, it's showing age but Ivy Bridge isn't that bad but the docking they sent with isn't actually a docking station. It's a port replicator so instead of directly connecting several devices to my laptop I connect several devices to the docking station and I'm spared by only having to plug in one USB cable as opposed to two.

The port replicator only supports DVI which my laptop does not as it has just Display Port and HDMI while my monitors are VGA/DVI and Display Port. I only get to use one monitor!

Just before leaving work I emailed one my managers explaining the whole situation and he came back that they've gone over their IT Equipment budget and he'll have to order a docking station. I flipped that laptop over and this model doesn't accept a dock. :bang:

You can't run a HDMI -> DVI or DP -> DVI adaptor?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Our laptop-purchasing process:

1) Purchase Laptop
2) Purchase the 30 required display adapters for the mismatch of screens and projectors
3) Purchase spares because they go missing and get left in the office when people go off to do a presentation.
4) Cop poo poo when nobody knows how to projector.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Swink posted:

Our laptop-purchasing process:

1) Purchase Laptop
2) Purchase the 30 required display adapters for the mismatch of screens and projectors
3) Purchase spares because they go missing and get left in the office when people go off to do a presentation.
4) Cop poo poo when nobody knows how to projector.

5) Get brought a busted laptop with tire tracks all over it and informed that it was like that when they woke up this morning.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Get an evga uv+ usb adapter for the other monitor

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

poo poo that pisses me off:

Local gas company just launched a new customer portal and not only is it balls slow and throws 500 errors half the time, I just noticed as I was setting up payment details that it's not even using SSL. Threw a Fiddler trace on it and plucked my credit card details right out of clear text.

The mind boggles. Needless to say I've switched back to paper billing.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

bull3964 posted:

poo poo that pisses me off:

Local gas company just launched a new customer portal and not only is it balls slow and throws 500 errors half the time, I just noticed as I was setting up payment details that it's not even using SSL. Threw a Fiddler trace on it and plucked my credit card details right out of clear text.

The mind boggles. Needless to say I've switched back to paper billing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of Fiddler (in the one case where I used it) was that it provided a cert that you added to your cert store and it proceeded to MITM all the traffic you send and receive. You *should* see the clear text traffic in Fiddler, it's designed to MITM you. If you see it in wireshark or tcpdump without fiddler running, that's a thing to be worried about.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

the spyder posted:

You can't run a HDMI -> DVI or DP -> DVI adaptor?

lampey posted:

Get an evga uv+ usb adapter for the other monitor

I could have 2 USB Cables from my laptop, Display Port and a HDMI-to-DVI Dongle and whenever I need to move I have to disconnect and reconnect everything :downs:

I was more so looking for the go tell my vendor to :fuckoff: option

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Storysmith posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of Fiddler (in the one case where I used it) was that it provided a cert that you added to your cert store and it proceeded to MITM all the traffic you send and receive. You *should* see the clear text traffic in Fiddler, it's designed to MITM you. If you see it in wireshark or tcpdump without fiddler running, that's a thing to be worried about.

Correct but and Fiddler doesn't decrypt HTTPS by default. If he's seeing something in plain text right away :siren: don't use that website.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Right, I made sure that the SSL proxy was turned off first. All form submission details plucked from the POST body in clear text over HTTP.

What's really annoying is they have a cert on the site, they just aren't forcing traffic to HTTPS, not even the login page. So, it COULD be encrypted, but only if you manually type in HTTPS.

Of course, with an implementation as slapdash as that, I'm not about to trust that they are keeping any of that info secure once they have it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tab8715 posted:

I could have 2 USB Cables from my laptop, Display Port and a HDMI-to-DVI Dongle and whenever I need to move I have to disconnect and reconnect everything :downs:

I was more so looking for the go tell my vendor to :fuckoff: option

The Lenovo USB 3 dock works alright.

Would probably be better just to get you a proper laptop that supports a proper dock though (the T430s is barely any thicker)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RyuHimora posted:

poo poo pissing me off: updating Windows on 10 new laptops that say Pentium on them but are actually glorified Bay Trail Atom processors. The update process is pegging core 0, but apparently does not know how to mulithread, so it's only using 25% of a poo poo tablet CPU. At least it doesn't overheat at idle like my Intel ComputeStick does.

I'm getting real sick of Intel's monopoly on CPUs.

Wahh I bought cheap slow laptops and it's behaving like a cheap slow laptop Intel is the devil :jerkbag:
Pentium was dumped to be the poo poo tier low level "value" brand a long time ago, I don't know what you expected.

People crying about Intel is like the new "M$" or something.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Wahh I bought cheap slow laptops and it's behaving like a cheap slow laptop Intel is the devil :jerkbag:
Pentium was dumped to be the poo poo tier low level "value" brand a long time ago, I don't know what you expected.

People crying about Intel is like the new "M$" or something.

Yeah I was going to say, everything with the pentium branding has been garbage for a long time now. i3 minimum or bust.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also you can still buy AMD, nobody's stopping you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspector_666 posted:

Also you can still buy AMD, nobody's stopping you.

Just common sense AMIRITE?

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Let me clarify then - we bought a bunch of cheap, slow laptops on purpose because we wanted something that the students could browse the internet on and do crappy flash typing games. The pentium brand has never literally been "you're getting a lovely tablet/mobile CPU with a slight Mhz boost" until now, and I should have leveled my frustration more at Microsoft not being able to use more than one thread for their update process. Intel's status as a monopoly is a discussion for somewhere else and I apologize for bringing it up here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

To be fair the Pentium brand has been low end (not as low end as Atom) since like 2009-2010

and if you want to make a joke about it, it's been low-end since the Pentium 4 :lol:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

RyuHimora posted:

Let me clarify then - we bought a bunch of cheap, slow laptops on purpose because we wanted something that the students could browse the internet on and do crappy flash typing games. The pentium brand has never literally been "you're getting a lovely tablet/mobile CPU with a slight Mhz boost" until now, and I should have leveled my frustration more at Microsoft not being able to use more than one thread for their update process. Intel's status as a monopoly is a discussion for somewhere else and I apologize for bringing it up here.

It's up to the purchaser to keep up with the branding. Low end basic non mobile processor for laptops/desktops has been the i3 since 2010. I can't think of a single reason you'd want to wedge Win10 on those.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I swear this is the dumbest company I have ever worked for.

End-user of our product calls customer service.

:v: "I need some work done on my device. I live in zip code 34567. Where do I go?"

:zombie: Let me look that up for you good sir. Your nearest dealer is XYZ Serivces at 999 Main Street in Bumblefuck, Kentucky.

:v: "Thank you!"

Next day:

:v: "Hello, I went to XYZ services, they have been out of business since 2007!"

So then it begins:

:zombie: Hey Bob, we have all these dealers that are no longer in business, but still in the system. Can we fix that?

:eng101: Sure thing. Let's just run a sales report for the last 2 years, any dealer that's not on the list, we'll delete them from the system

Nope. Can't do that. Not sure why. They want to either have someone spend a whole loving week calling like 1,000 dealers and verifying that they are open/closed, or have the person put the customer on hold for five minutes and hunt down some person who's only here 2 days a week to ask what the best dealer is in their area.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RyuHimora posted:

It has been that since at least ~2007-2008 when they became just slightly improved Celerons based on downmarket versions of Core 2 Duo/etc processors. Before that for a while the only Pentiums were "Pentium D" which was just Pentium 4s being sold years after they were obsolete.

And since 2010, Intel's stuck quite well to i7>i5>i3>pentium>celeron>atom

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RyuHimora posted:

Ouch, my bones are so brittle. How was I supposed to know this malk doesn't contain any Vitamin D? Thanks, Obama.

mewse
May 2, 2006

RyuHimora posted:

Let me clarify then - we bought a bunch of cheap, slow laptops on purpose

If you had stopped there it would have been a better post

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

:v: "I need some work done on my device. I live in zip code 34567. Where do I go?"

:zombie: Let me look that up for you good sir. Your nearest dealer is XYZ Serivces at 999 Main Street in Bumblefuck, Kentucky.

Next day:

So then it begins:

:zombie: Hey Bob, we have all these dealers that are no longer in business, but still in the system. Can we fix that?

:eng101: Sure thing. Let's just run a sales report for the last 2 years, any dealer that's not on the list, we'll delete them from the system

Nope. Can't do that. Not sure why. They want to either have someone spend a whole loving week calling like 1,000 dealers and verifying that they are open/closed, or have the person put the customer on hold for five minutes and hunt down some person who's only here 2 days a week to ask what the best dealer is in their area.

I feel your pain, keeping vendor files at all up to date is a never ending process. We have a lot of good tools for purging and checking outdated vendors, but it's still a full time job for a couple of people.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bob Morales posted:

Next day:

So then it begins:

While there's logic to "if they haven't done any business in two years, we wouldn't want them anyway," but there are possible comedy of errors vendors in here, where they sold things but just don't show up on the report for whatever reason. Manually confirming can be as simple as seeing that the number is disconnected, etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Volmarias posted:

While there's logic to "if they haven't done any business in two years, we wouldn't want them anyway," but there are possible comedy of errors vendors in here, where they sold things but just don't show up on the report for whatever reason. Manually confirming can be as simple as seeing that the number is disconnected, etc.

They can only order from the website so it should be pretty accurate. And if they haven't ordered any parts then they haven't been doing any business with us...

mewse
May 2, 2006

I like how it's somehow a technical problem that their immaculately preserved digital information went stale

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

Yep, gotta have the most rear end backwards processes in place.

Our main customer telephone line for example specifically does not use queuing. Agents all busy? calls will eventually just go to someone in the office so we get to play telephone tennis everyday. Voicemails? Nope not allowed gotta engage those customers and piss them off even more and tell them someone will call them back for the third time.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Pissing me off today: the realization that I haven't really done anything actively relevant and useful to what I want to keep focusing on - Windows and VMware sysadmin - given that I'm still stuck here until YotJ happens.

The Powers that Be have such a hard-on for three monitors in our all-Citrix VDI environment, which requires the purchase of new terminals, and the implementation of new poo poo that is well-documented but simply doesn't work.

How do people even stack up individual complaints in this thread? I've got so much to bitch about that's reasonable in context enough for the boss to say "MJP can probably do this" to the consultant who's done our engineering but becomes a kludge given same engineer's design changes to make it work in our existing environment that I just have branching issues to the point where typing it out doesn't help.

Where does a guy go to just start talking to someone, a human being that'll just listen and nod occasionally, as I do nothing but unproductively bitch and moan about life until I have nothing more to say? At this point I don't want technical help. I just need to get all this garbage off my chest. I'm trying to take active measures against burning out given I'm doing both helpdesk and sysadmin, and the sysadmin is less sysadmin and more virtual desktop and applications admin, and it's frustrating as gently caress not doing things with servers anymore.

I miss having to gather information about AD and stuff that required me to make a script to make it doable :-(

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

MJP posted:

Where does a guy go to just start talking to someone, a human being that'll just listen and nod occasionally, as I do nothing but unproductively bitch and moan about life until I have nothing more to say? At this point I don't want technical help. I just need to get all this garbage off my chest. I'm trying to take active measures against burning out given I'm doing both helpdesk and sysadmin, and the sysadmin is less sysadmin and more virtual desktop and applications admin, and it's frustrating as gently caress not doing things with servers anymore.

There's someone talking about their degree in psychology in one of these threads. Maybe they'd like to talk to you about it :v:

Seriously, though, good luck YotJ'ing the gently caress out of there.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Wizard of the Deep posted:

There's someone talking about their degree in psychology in one of these threads. Maybe they'd like to talk to you about it :v:

Seriously, though, good luck YotJ'ing the gently caress out of there.

If I wasn't helpdesk and sysadmin I'd be a lot less stressed. I'd be willing to take some time to read that manual cover to cover. But right now even though pretty much everything I'm involved in is in some kind of wait mode, it all tends to go active mode too closely together.

This place would be a lot less worse if they let me talk to the goddamn expert who built the VDI we use. I was involved enough in the VMware buildout and migration from our closing colo that we did last September and was already a big server dude. I'm just so done with this company being ridiculously cheap with IT. There's cost controls, and then there's outsourcing design than not allowing contact with the designers even for the right loving reasons.

If nothing else, I think I finally just had my "care" switch flipped to the off position. I honestly don't give a gently caress and will now spend most of the day in the server room with a netbook doing a job search.

Edit: I'm already seeing a shrink for other life poo poo, I guess I'm just in a bad place with my wife having her own medical issues and me feeling like I've got to go it alone since she's in a bad state thanks to them. She feels bad that she can't help me, I feel bad that I can't help her, and while at least the bills are getting paid and retirement being saved for even after IRAs and 401k, it's just really a low period in my life until I get some professional satisfaction back.

My last job had lovely, lovely work/life balance and a PHB to end all PHBs but at least I was doing nothing but datacenter and server stuff.

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 7, 2015

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

Where does a guy go to just start talking to someone, a human being that'll just listen and nod occasionally, as I do nothing but unproductively bitch and moan about life until I have nothing more to say?

A bar?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Then AA meetings when getting drunk no longer works.

Edit for content: There is so much upheaval going on right now at my company. I know my VP is planning a re-org so I've had to lobby for a good position and that promotion that I was promised. The CIO is now reporting into a Strategy and Innovation person instead of the CFO but who knows what that will mean. Bad time for me to be over schedule on our migration / upgrade project but a couple of our clients are begging for more time to get through their testing.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 7, 2015

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

MJP posted:

I honestly don't give a gently caress and will now spend most of the day in the server room with a netbook doing a job search.
it's just really a low period in my life until I get some professional satisfaction back.

I would be careful of doing that at work. At least at my place I know they used to frown on people browsing other jobs at work and the people I know who did that were the ones laid off later on

edit: I haven't had any professional satisfaction for a long time :|

mewse
May 2, 2006

I prefer CNAME bars

J
Jun 10, 2001

Today someone runs into my office and says "Heywehaveanewhirestartingcanyougetthemalaptop" and then promptly turns around and runs off before I can ask them any questions about who this new hire even is or what they are doing or when they are starting. Cool. I attempted to contact them after the fact for more information but they pulled the standard Houdini disappearing off the face of the planet trick. The next time I hear anything about this hire I'll have one of these bad boys ready to present, it typically does pretty well in getting people to actually give me useful information:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Day Two of the Sweatening - came home and the apartment was at a wonderfully balmy 83 degrees. AC still not working, the office is closed, and no one is answering the emergency line. I swear, if the best apartment complex that I looked at wasn't running nearly $200 more a month I'd be out of here after all this poo poo. Actually, I just got nearly $400 a month in a raise, so maybe it's time to get my application in after all.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

Next day:

So then it begins:

This sounds like Loss Aversion

"What if we delete an active reseller by accident!?!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Day Two of the Sweatening - came home and the apartment was at a wonderfully balmy 83 degrees. AC still not working, the office is closed, and no one is answering the emergency line. I swear, if the best apartment complex that I looked at wasn't running nearly $200 more a month I'd be out of here after all this poo poo. Actually, I just got nearly $400 a month in a raise, so maybe it's time to get my application in after all.

Let them know that you will be withholding rent until this is fixed, as per state statute <insert here>.

MJP: If you still need an ear to bitch into next week, PM and we can figure something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Volmarias posted:

Let them know that you will be withholding rent until this is fixed, as per state statute <insert here>.

They have me by the balls on that - my rent is paid on the 1st automatically. I'm going to go bitch just to see what they do. Plus my lease is up in August so I have a little leverage. This is definitely not impressing me enough to re-up for another six to twelve months.