Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

I tried to give someone in some kind of later model Dodge a jump recently in our parking lot at work. Later model with a shitload of LED strips crammed everywhere, cold super hot air intake, PCV vented to atmosphere. Don't remember what model it was, just that it was some kind of wagon with a 4 cylinder.

... I got really uncomfortable when he started trying to connect jumper cables to a battery buried deep inside the fender with the positive terminal really close to sheet metal. And offended when he said "your car is too much of a pussy to start this, I need a V8". What part of "... I have a 130 amp alternator" did you not catch, rear end in a top hat? That's on par, if not better than, what most trucks are rocking - and don't insult someone that you've asked for help, fuckhead, they might work for a business in the shopping center your broke rear end car broke in and may call the cops saying you're harassing people.

Several people (including myself) kept saying it was his starter. He kept trying to get jumps for well over 3 hours before finally giving up and swapping the starter in the parking lot, all while insulting everyone and saying he needs someone with a truck to give him a jump, preferably 2 at once. We got 3 cars hooked up and it wouldn't crank, he eventually got two diesel pickups to hook up at once (in parallel obviously) and... surprise, not even a click.

I walked up to him after he finished swapping the starter. "So it was the starter?" Yup. "Told you it was" :fuckoff:

I would have just calmly rolled up the jumper leads and driven off. gently caress him, if he doesn't want help he doesn't get help.

Throatwarbler posted:

The most puzzling part was that the 2.7l engine seemed to be completely pointless, because every car that came with it generally also came with either the 3.5l SOHC/later 3.6l Pentastar, or the 2.4l I4 which made almost exactly the same power and fuel economy. Everyone who has had the 2.7l blow on their LH cars just swap in 3.5ls which drop right in with no modifications - I think even the original ECU is just plug and play, and was actually cheaper to boot. If the 2.7l never existed no vehicle in the Chrysler lineup would have been impacted at all. Every domestic marque in the early-mid 2000s seem to need 4 or 5 different poo poo engines to do the job that the Japanese do with 1 good engine.

*looks at custom title*

Holy poo poo, the 2.7L must be worse than I thought. :haw:

Sounds a lot like the 2.8L GM shitpile they put in 84-86 XJs/MJs... it actually made 2hp less than the newly-TBI-equipped 2.5L 4-cylinder for 1986. Beat it in torque, but only till the rods flew through the block.

Spotted in the junkyard parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Does that say S U B I E F L S H?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

veedubfreak posted:

Does that say S U B I E F L S H?

subieflow with the o designed to look like a turbo.

EDIT: Website
http://www.subieflow.com/

EDIT2: I can't figure out what they do other than sell lanyards and iPhone cases.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Every domestic marque in the early-mid 2000s seem to need 4 or 5 different poo poo engines to do the job that the Japanese do with 1 good engine.

kill me now posted:

The 2.7L with a 4spd auto was punishment for buying the absolute base model. They were there to get people to spend more on the SXT model with the 3.5L and 5spd auto.

Pretty much this, and rental car companies wanting to shave pennies off the cost for a fleet purchase. The domestic brands all got it in their head that any sale is a good sale, even when it means that people who rent those cars now think every version of what they rented is a slow pile of poo poo.

For whatever reason this mindset hasn't seemed to take major root with the import marques. Outside of VW's cheaper redesigns a few years back, I can't think of non-American companies making a car worse just to advertise a price.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I can't think of non-American companies making a car worse just to advertise a price.

There's also Mitsubishi, but they might have been genuinely trying their best.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

For whatever reason this mindset hasn't seemed to take major root with the import marques. Outside of VW's cheaper redesigns a few years back, I can't think of non-American companies making a car worse just to advertise a price.

What about the Nissan Versa? They took out the 1.8L and shoved in a 1.6L to sell it at $9999 when the economy took a poo poo back in 2009. I think they also cheaped out on the seats and the only option was A/C.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pretty much this, and rental car companies wanting to shave pennies off the cost for a fleet purchase. The domestic brands all got it in their head that any sale is a good sale, even when it means that people who rent those cars now think every version of what they rented is a slow pile of poo poo.

The thing about the 2.7l is that it was a clean sheet design that was unrelated to anything else in the portfolio at the time - aluminum block, timing chain, DOHC, etc. They are much more expensive to buy as crate engines from Chrysler than the 3.5l SOHC which was a better engine in every way, so the base model cars that came with the 2.7l were almost certainly more expensive to build than the upper trim 3.5l, and that's not even counting all the bad PR and warranty costs from it being poo poo. There was literally no reason for it to exist other than spite.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimcicle posted:

What about the Nissan Versa? They took out the 1.8L and shoved in a 1.6L to sell it at $9999 when the economy took a poo poo back in 2009. I think they also cheaped out on the seats and the only option was A/C.

I knew they took out the A/C but I'd argue that has less to do with the car being good or not than swapping the engine did... and I didn't realize they changed that too.

I wonder if any $9999 Versas were ever even delivered to AZ. You can hardly even sell a $2000 used car here without "ICE COLD A/C" everywhere in the ad.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

... I got really uncomfortable when he started trying to connect jumper cables to a battery buried deep inside the fender with the positive terminal really close to sheet metal.

I used to tense up whenever somebody wanted to try jump starting a dodge/chrysler product when I worked in the junkyard. You could never actually tell if it just wouldn't turn over or you were shorting the connections trying to get the jumper cables hooked up.

When the production crew was prepping one to go out in the yard they'd just cut a hole in the wheel well to get the battery out. That was quicker/cleaner than trying to get it out the normal way.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 8, 2015

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

There's also Mitsubishi, but they might have been genuinely trying their best.

It's so confusing. The Evo has consistently been a great car for two decades and proof that Mitsu can make good cars. Why they can't get their poo poo together on anything else is a mystery.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Didn't Chrysler put a remote battery terminal in the engine bay like everyone else who puts their battery somewhere inaccessible, just for such jump starting scenarios?

The answer is "Chrysler", isn't it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

Didn't Chrysler put a remote battery terminal in the engine bay like everyone else who puts their battery somewhere inaccessible, just for such jump starting scenarios?

I was going to ask the same thing, every car I've seen with a remote battery location has had terminals in the engine bay for jumping.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Linedance posted:

They did. I had a Stratus with the 2.7 and it had remote jump start terminals.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Linedance posted:

Its been a while and my memory is fuzzy but they did it in the most chrysler way possible and unless you had the owner's manual right in front of you trying to make sense of it was a fool's errand. I think you had one terminal then had to ground the other one to the chassis itself or maybe it was the hood latch or something. Either way when you're trying to jumpstart a PT Cruiser that invariably didn't have the owner's manual it was pretty much guesswork whether the car was actually toast or you were just doing it wrong.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

JaysonAych posted:

They did. I had a Stratus with the 2.7 and it had remote jump start terminals.

The reason people still try to jump start their cars through the wheel well despite this is "Chrysler owners", isn't it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That sounds pretty logical to me actually, the ground should go on the chassis somewhere (to avoid sparking near the battery) anyways. A positive remote jump stud is enough.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

1500quidporsche posted:

Its been a while and my memory is fuzzy but they did it in the most chrysler way possible and unless you had the owner's manual right in front of you trying to make sense of it was a fool's errand. I think you had one terminal then had to ground the other one to the chassis itself or maybe it was the hood latch or something. Either way when you're trying to jumpstart a PT Cruiser that invariably didn't have the owner's manual it was pretty much guesswork whether the car was actually toast or you were just doing it wrong.

I don't know about the PT but in the Stratus it was pretty self-explanatory. Look in the spot where a battery would be in a car that was well-designed, and there were clearly marked terminals.

Linedance posted:

The reason people still try to jump start their cars through the wheel well despite this is "Chrysler owners", isn't it.

Yeah, pretty much.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I'm starting to think I'm remembering wrong because I could've sworn the jump points were like half way across the engine bay or something and the ground point wasn't clearly marked.

I do remember seeing those ones, the only annoying thing about those was that the clamps from our booster packs were lovely and the clamp would always slip off the ground.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm starting to think I'm remembering wrong because I could've sworn the jump points were like half way across the engine bay or something and the ground point wasn't clearly marked.

I do remember seeing those ones, the only annoying thing about those was that the clamps from our booster packs were lovely and the clamp would always slip off the ground.

The ground point is meant to be the engine even when you're jumping a normal car.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Scrambles posted:

I thought the terrible thing was that sign saying SOUTH NORTH

Driving in Northern Virginia is Terrible Car Stuff, in general.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The ground point is meant to be the engine even when you're jumping a normal car.

I'm sorry, where?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah, when I tried to jump that.. whatever the hell it was.. I couldn't figure out where the remote jump terminal was. I too own a car with a battery located in an alternative location (trunk in my case), but the jump terminal is very clearly marked with a red cap (and apparently, can only be used to jump the car, not to jump other cars, otherwise you pop a couple of fuses - you have to jump other cars directly from the battery).

I've jumped a PT before, and had no problem finding the remote jump terminals. Both were clearly marked, and yes, the negative was was basically one of the bolts on or very close to the hood latch.

Linedance posted:

I'm sorry, where?

What in the gently caress was the engineering decision behind THAT? I get a basic engine cover, even though they're really annoying when attached by screws/bolts, but covering the entire engine bay?

It has an engine. You should be happy to own such a fine motoring machine, and be happy that it has such a refined, silent engine. You shouldn't be so ashamed of it that you hide it under 20 pounds of plastic. And you definitely shouldn't be hiding the brake fluid, coolant overflow, etc. That's basically like putting 20 condoms on your 13 inch rager before you masturbate, so you don't feel quite as much shame about touching yourself. With 20 condoms, you can't tell if it's your hand or Satan's.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I think the funniest bit about homeboy thinking that his super-manly Dodge shitbox needed extra juice to jump is the fact that I watched a guy in a Mazda 626 jump a semi truck at my old Guard unit. Took a minute to get the charge built but it worked just fine.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

Yeah, when I tried to jump that.. whatever the hell it was.. I couldn't figure out where the remote jump terminal was. I too own a car with a battery located in an alternative location (trunk in my case), but the jump terminal is very clearly marked with a red cap (and apparently, can only be used to jump the car, not to jump other cars, otherwise you pop a couple of fuses - you have to jump other cars directly from the battery).

I've jumped a PT before, and had no problem finding the remote jump terminals. Both were clearly marked, and yes, the negative was was basically one of the bolts on or very close to the hood latch.

What in the gently caress was the engineering decision behind THAT? I get a basic engine cover, even though they're really annoying when attached by screws/bolts, but covering the entire engine bay?

It has an engine. You should be happy to own such a fine motoring machine, and be happy that it has such a refined, silent engine. You shouldn't be so ashamed of it that you hide it under 20 pounds of plastic. And you definitely shouldn't be hiding the brake fluid, coolant overflow, etc. That's basically like putting 20 condoms on your 13 inch rager before you masturbate, so you don't feel quite as much shame about touching yourself. With 20 condoms, you can't tell if it's your hand or Satan's.

The worst part is people with a luxury auto aren't going to even try to fix anything under there, they just make a phone call. They aren't going to pop the hood at the cruise night to ohh and ahh with their buddies, either. It sure isn't for the tech who has to rip it all out just to do basic maintenance, it's literally all-around pointless bullshit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What you said. I've jumped diesel trucks from every car I've owned (ranging from an F-150 to an Integra to a Civic to an Accord to a Saturn). All it takes to jump even a big truck is usually "hook up cables, find something to drop on the gas pedal to hold the car at ~2500 RPM, bullshit for 15 minutes".

I did mention this was a 4 cylinder Dodge, right? :haw:

atomicthumbs posted:

You should've convinced him to hook the trucks up in series for more power.

Trust me, it was tempting, but even brotruck owners don't deserve that if they stop to help someone stranded.

Twistershift posted:

The worst part is people with a luxury auto aren't going to even try to fix anything under there, they just make a phone call. They aren't going to pop the hood at the cruise night to ohh and ahh with their buddies, either. It sure isn't for the tech who has to rip it all out just to do basic maintenance, it's literally all-around pointless bullshit.

I helped a neighbor's boyfriend with his mom's car one night. He'd left the lights on. It was a late model Lexus, and he had no idea how to even get into the car if the battery was too low for the keyfobs to do their job.

It got my attention only because I saw the candlelight HIDs barely flickering as I drove past, then saw someone trying to figure out how to open it.

I was in the car in less than 30 seconds, and had the hood open in half that time, and had it running in about 10 minutes (only because the battery was so low - think "multimeter said 9 volts"). He asked if I was a car thief, I just said "no, but it's pretty much always the same procedure to get into a car with a passive key, and I had to help my dad get into his Prius once, I figured it'd be the same for a Lexus".

"What's a passive key?" :downsgun:

Barely related, a coworker used to park his Prius, running with the a/c on, between deliveries, saying nobody could drive it without having the key in their pocket. I started playing the "where can you hide a Prius easily?" game, on top of "how many radio presets can you gently caress up between deliveries" game. v:v:v

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 8, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Twistershift posted:

I'm sure it has some positive effect on NVH

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

There is often quite a bit of very dense sound deadening material stuck to the bottom of all the plastic on luxury cars like that. Helps quite things down quite a bit. They are also usually easily removable so I'm not seeing the problem or why you're over reacting about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's just got foam underneath, I can tell you that on that vehicle specifically the cover is held on by four little rubber hats sitting on plastic knobs that look like chess pieces - you just pull firmly to remove. The NVH difference those covers make, especially on dual injected toyota engines like the one in the picture, is absolutely immense.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Twistershift posted:

The worst part is people with a luxury auto aren't going to even try to fix anything under there, they just make a phone call.

Pretty sure that's exactly why it's there. Hiding the engine makes people think they won't be able to fix anything, even if it's something stupid like a loose bolt, so more money for the dealership.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Linedance posted:

I'm sorry, where?

That engine appears to still have a physical dipstick, meaning that you can check your oil without going to the dealer. That makes it more service-friendly than, say, any BMW or Audi made after 2009.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Holden decided to put the battery behind the rear wheel arch on the VE series (or at least the wagon). Which was fun when I needed a jump one day. Car was in garage, so I thought I was lucky that I could jump from the back. Nope, the rear hatch is electric ONLY so had to snake jump leads through the rear doors.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

That engine appears to still have a physical dipstick, meaning that you can check your oil without going to the dealer. That makes it more service-friendly than, say, any BMW or Audi made after 2009.

BMW's can show the oil level on the instrument cluster display.

Humphreys posted:

Holden decided to put the battery behind the rear wheel arch on the VE series (or at least the wagon). Which was fun when I needed a jump one day. Car was in garage, so I thought I was lucky that I could jump from the back. Nope, the rear hatch is electric ONLY so had to snake jump leads through the rear doors.

Let this be a lesson to you: always reverse into the garage.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Slavvy posted:

BMW's can show the oil level on the instrument cluster display.

Can. The sensors break.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cakefool posted:

Can. The sensors break.

And they can't give you indicators when something's wrong with oil quality like a dipstick can.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I did a cursory Google to confirm my info and was pretty amused to find that for many VAG engines, the dipstick tube is still there, but covered with a plastic cap. The dealer will sell you one for fifty bucks, or you can buy an aftermarket dipstick if you really wanted. I suspect that after thirty years of making dipstick handles out of plastic that disintegrates after a few years and drop shards of broken plastic into your oil pan, VAG, just gave up and decided that no dipstick was a better solution.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks sort of like the plating used in a bug's engine bay, so the obvious conclusion to make is that the Lexus is aircooled.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

Looks sort of like the plating used in a bug's engine bay, so the obvious conclusion to make is that the Lexus is aircooled.

This is flawless logic, and I support it.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
The cherry on top of the poo poo sundae that is the Chrysler 2.7 is that it got a different tune depending on the car it was in. That's good, right? The much heavier LH and LX cars should have more power, right? Nope, you're wrong. The Cloud cars got 197 hp, and the Charger got 178.

The question then is "WHY?" and I don't have the answer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Probably transmission longevity / make it survive till it gets out of warranty reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

They'll make anything into an Ecto-1 nowadays

it's for the new all-lady movie