Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

VikingSkull posted:

Don't get me wrong, Bigfoot is awesome and started the whole scene, so I'll never diss it. It's just that in the early era Bigfoot was plain (as far as monster trucks can be) compared to trucks with belching diesels and roaring Allison V-12's. When Digger hit the scene, Dennis Anderson was such a nutjob driving it was hard to hate him, and that body was a throwback to the days of Corvette and locomotive crushers in a sea of brand new fullsize pickup bodies.

And I won't lie, I loved Snake Bite and Colt Cobra.

You know it's pretty funny how Dennis and Digger are widely credited with putting the crazy in monster trucks, and while that is definitely true to a degree, USA-1 was a truck that I feel really gets overlooked. That team ran that truck way past its limits to try and win and in turn produced outrageous runs/wrecks on a weekly basis. Digger made some wild runs for sure back in the day, but USA-1 was running so fast and flying so far (all the while winning lots of races to land a national championship) that I thought it was much more spectacular. I mean that truck even retired a driver because it was so wild.

Of course Grave Digger had way more longevity and helped to make freestyle a thing, but back in the day I always thought the craziest monster title belonged to the big white Chevy. I found a compilation on youtube and the end of it shows a lot of the banzai runs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdnwSS12L3A TNT Monster Truck Racing on TNN was the coolest thing ever.

I love talking monster trucks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Too bad, Carolina Crusher was the best truck.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
USA-1 was indeed great, but it falls into the same trap as a lot of first generation monster trucks. Pickup body with a big block, in a sea of vans, Vettes, tanks, trains, V-12's etc

Hell, didn't someone have a Huey on a monster chassis?

Also that era was the pinnacle of pulling, too. That Arfons jet with the big Busch cans, and the Orange Blossom Special :fap:

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 10, 2015

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I'm gonna have to catch up on all this old monster truck goodness soon. I'm just too young to have solid memories of all that Diamond P stuff, but I definitely remember having swamp buggies, monster trucks, and NHRA on the TV back in the day.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
When the monster trucks were on TNN, so were the pro stadium trucks. I liked them better than the monster trucks, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_05rOpbb5g&t=18m54s

This dude probably had to drive home in that truck, unlike the monster trucks which are pretty much disposable.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 10, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That run what ya brung time attack off road stuff was cool, but the Mickey Thompson series was the best off road poo poo of that era

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

That run what ya brung time attack off road stuff was cool, but the Mickey Thompson series was the best off road poo poo of that era

This is like saying, "you need air to breathe"

ed- What I like about this video, particularly the main races at the end:

A cognizant and functioning Marty Reid
How all the officials are wearing referee outfits
The PIP window of the starter waiting…waiting…waitiGREEN FLAG
"Whoop-dee-doos"
Stroh Beer
"Hydrobarriers"
Mazda vs. Toyota
"Going up the peristyle"
The traffic jam in the arches at the Coliseum
The flagman putting every goddamn ounce of enthusiasm he has into a jumping checkered flag wave at the finish

Robby Gordon needs get more of these things into SST.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 10, 2015

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

double post oops

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Uncle Jam posted:

Too bad, Carolina Crusher was the best truck.

This guy knows. Alliteration > Everything.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The Crusher was definitely badass. It's weird that Gary Porter has now been driving a digger truck for like 4 times as long as he did the crusher. Pretty cool feld brought the Carolina Crusher name back for him to run last year, but then they put it on a stupid body ugh.

Viking, the Orange Blossom Special is going to make a retirement run this year at the championship pull in Bowling Green, OH next month. Allen Gaines health is failing fast but he's going to ride off into the sunset with the wheels up. All 4 of his OBS trucks are in immaculate condition.

The Mickey Thompson thing used to be so badass. It's a shame the Robby Gordon series hasn't really gained traction. I think I've posted about this before but Feld has been meddling with that big time. They won't let the main dirt contractors do business with SST because they threaten to terminate their live event agreement with them. They pull the same poo poo with the venues. It's a lovely way to blackball.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Peanut President posted:

Pro Stock has the same problem NASCAR has. There are real live badass cars coming from Detroit (and japan) and they're running Ford Taurus and Toyota Camry.

Pro Stock was at its best in the early/mid '90s when everyone was trying to get away with running as much nitrous as possible. One driver was nicknamed Frosty after the bottle malfunctioned and froze his windscreen. Not to mention the "break-in" at Wayne County in '95 that took the Dodge boys, who were running away with the championship, completely out for the rest of the season.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

Mickey Thompson stuff

SST has the basics nailed, but he needs the weird tracks, plus dirt bike, ATV, UTV and buggy classes to get me to watch like I used to back in the day.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Viking, the Orange Blossom Special is going to make a retirement run this year at the championship pull in Bowling Green, OH next month. Allen Gaines health is failing fast but he's going to ride off into the sunset with the wheels up. All 4 of his OBS trucks are in immaculate condition.

Wish I could get there to see it. My dad's friend has a 1940 Ford painted the same way, even has the train airbrushed on the tailgate. It was easily my favorite puller of the day.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Not to mention the "break-in" at Wayne County in '95 that took the Dodge boys, who were running away with the championship, completely out for the rest of the season.

Never heard this story, elaborate please.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Never heard this story, elaborate please.

In between the Memphis and Englishtown rounds during the '95 season, while Alderman and Geoffrion were absolutely curbstomping everyone in Pro Stock, a group of vandals broke into the team shop in Fairfield, IL and destroyed their engines and cylinder heads with sledgehammers. They didn't go after the cars themselves at all, just the engines. Pro-Oldsmobile propaganda was also spraypainted on the walls of the shop.

However, many many people within drag racing circles believe the break in was staged to avoid cheating infractions about to come down from the NHRA. They never ran again the reast of the season, effectively handing the title to Warren Johnson, and were never as competitive again after returning for a few races in '96 and full time in '97.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 10, 2015

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Here is a great (old) article on the story. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/blowup-feature

I originally heard about the story in a Warren Johnson interview last year and found it interesting as heck. Man, that guy LOVES to rant on the NHRA and it's hilarious. He was on WFO radio a few months ago and basically ripped them a new one. He is pretty blunt on why he is "retired", there is no money to be made like the old days.

Anyways, from the stuff I've heard/read it sounds pretty drat obvious the "Dodge Boys" were cheating.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

I love talking monster trucks :)

I love reading your stories (I remember some from an AI thread?) so please post more :) . I've pulled over 400 TNT/USHRA videos from 1990+ off of youtube in the last year or so, most of which I saw as a kid already

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Remember when Dr. David Thorpe said that this forum was started as a "Monster Truck Rally" newsletter?

Weird to think he was sort of right in that regard...

Also, yeah, anytime Viking or others post classic pictures of automobiles? It's an awesome thing, and something to be celebrated.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
let's combine awesome pics of old cars with the pro stock discussion

Mr. Hendrick owns that car today, complete with the dominant 500ci big block with TIG welded heads straight out of Texas

Here is a great (old) article on the story. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/blowup-feature

I originally heard about the story in a Warren Johnson interview last year and found it interesting as heck. Man, that guy LOVES to rant on the NHRA and it's hilarious. He was on WFO radio a few months ago and basically ripped them a new one. He is pretty blunt on why he is "retired", there is no money to be made like the old days.

Anyways, from the stuff I've heard/read it sounds pretty drat obvious the "Dodge Boys" were cheating.

lmao this owns

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 10, 2015

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

NHRA Today clip from Englishtown '95 covering the break in at the beginning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCXtTVTQ1tg

Also features one of racing's all-time great southern accents in Darrell Alderman.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 11, 2015

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

(double post but whatever--talking about pro stock is fun)

The Eckman story is pretty infamous as well, but gently caress, I did not know he attempted suicide over what happened. Another great article on that incident is here:
http://competitionplus.com/featured-stories/1547-jerry-eckman-is-ready-to-talk

It has a happy ending, though: He was reinstated and allowed to test for his pro stock license again in 2012.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

VikingSkull posted:

While the tracks are a bit bigger than a stadium layout, the Lucas Oil Off Road series is pretty much the same sort of action as the old Mickey Thompson races; tight short course tracks with lots of beating and banging, body panels flying everywhere, huge jumps, and the occasional crazy wreck where one truck gets goomba-stomped by another off a tabletop or something. It's a bit hard to catch on TV these days, since it's mostly on a couple obscure cable networks (CBSSN and MAVTV), but the top truck classes (Pro 4 and Pro 2) are aired on CBS on "CBS Sports Spectacular" sometimes. They don't have the ATVs or bikes, but they do have a buggy class and some kart classes. I'm not sure if the karts ever get TV time, but the buggies are probably aired on those cable networks, at least.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Here's the article that goes with the Reher-Morrison picture

When you see what the early 80's tech involved in winning multiple championships is like, it'll blow your mind. It's a far cry from Pro Stock of today.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 11, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tudor from Mosport is live on FS1 and IMSA.com.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Tudor from Mosport is live on FS1 and IMSA.com.

Weird I didn't get any tune-in alert.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I got a good laugh out of the weather map. The track's in Canada but we only have a map of the US? Ehhh just stick the location dot off the top of Michigan, that'll do.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Lime Rock next round. :getin:

e- Jesus Christ, this got interesting quickly. The 31's fueler not getting the probe connected cleanly took this from Ho Hum to Holy poo poo.

e2- :suspense:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 12, 2015

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Hot drat, FS1 will be the new home of the NHRA next year.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2015/07/13/fs1.aspx

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Thank loving god

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
to be immediately preempted and moved to Fox Sport Go

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

That makes me happy.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
NHRA was the only motorsport still on ESPN proper. RIP ESPN.

https://youtu.be/CsvmXHqDZMw?t=66

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 13, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
C'mon man, post the good Speedworld intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtzQpZzI2Iw

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The music in that one is worse
And the tagline ESPN The Worldwide leader in motorsports is hilarious to me

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

The music in that one is worse
And the tagline ESPN The Worldwide leader in motorsports is hilarious to me

It was true back then...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
ESPN broadcast Super Dirt Week so I'll always love them for that

and Thursday Night Thunder owned

also FastMasters

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

TNN/Diamond P > ESPN :colbert:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
RPM2Night was the height of motorsports coverage

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

Thursday Night Thunder owned

Yeah it did

go3 posted:

RPM2Night was the height of motorsports coverage

Yeah it was

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It feels like when ESPN lost NASCAR during it's first go around, and there was that whole ban on showing highlights? It was the beginning of the end.

RPM 2 Night died soon after that, and then pretty much they were left with just IndyCar/NHRA by the time the mid-2000's. You could also detect that there was a lot of tampering done with the overall auto racing coverage after the 2004 season. They dumped Paul Page and replaced him with Todd Harris, and then Marty Reid.

By the time that NASCAR returned? It seemed that they just pretty much forgot all the lessons that got them there and we were treated to some pretty lovely broadcasts as a result.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
ESPN was awful on its own by then for various reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

ESPN was awful on its own by then for various reasons

Oh absolutely.

Completely different animal by that time. PTI created a monster in a lot of ways.

• Locked thread