Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

It does if you missed that the m was not an f. Calm down dude.

Should I type slower? How do I calm down on the internet :whitewater:

Also I think you're trying to say that whoever wrote the story missed the 'm'. As you can see by my bolded writing I fact checked as I do before every post I make on the online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

RCarr posted:

Should I type slower? How do I calm down on the internet :whitewater:

Also I think you're trying to say that whoever wrote the story missed the 'm'. As you can see by my bolded writing I fact checked as I do before every post I make on the online.

If you looked at Wikipedia, saw that it said 8,848 and didn't check the units and just assumed the units were feet, then you could be forgiven (by everyone but rcarr) for believing that 37,000 feet is more than 4 times as high.

Also, generally ***TYPING LIKE THIS*** is considered a sign of extreme emotion of some sort, which is why I told you to calm down.

This has been How To Internet, thanks for watching.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
I would like to post an unnerving story. Apologies in advance because it's not from wiki.

Anyway, I got up this fine Saturday morning and after having a nice leisurely breakfast, I sat down at my computer with a cup of coffee. I logged in to my favorite forums happily anticipating some great posts about ghost flights and stocking stranglers and instead there's a bunch of :spergin: poo poo.

More ***GHOST FLIGHTS*** and ***STOCKING STRANGLERS*** please.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Karma Monkey posted:

I would like to post an unnerving story. Apologies in advance because it's not from wiki.

Anyway, I got up this fine Saturday morning and after having a nice leisurely breakfast, I sat down at my computer with a cup of coffee. I logged in to my favorite forums happily anticipating some great posts about ghost flights and stocking stranglers and instead there's a bunch of :spergin: poo poo.

More ***GHOST FLIGHTS*** and ***STOCKING STRANGLERS*** please.

Tone down the monkeycheese and this would be a great post.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Lol, I hosed up some numbers, yeah. I didn't even google it, I was going by half-remembered figures from the everest thread. :v:

I will go change it after I maths, but generally they were at "the altitude you can't breathe at without assistance".

Edit: I feel like I let Frostwerks down somehow and that hurts the worst :smith:

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Jul 11, 2015

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Enhydra lutris posted:

Hypoxia results in Cyanosis; this Condition is a darkening of the Blood caused by decreased Oxygenation (supply of Oxygen) resulting in discolouration of the Extremities; in significant cases the Entire Body may be affected by this discolouration; resulting in a Purple Person. The term of Cyanosis is derived from the word "Cyan"; Cyan is a mid way Blue with Green aspects and great Clarity; however a Cyanotic [suffering from Cyanosis] Patient is not Cyan in Colour; a Cyanotic Patient with pale skin is a mild Purple with a Blue Aspect; many parts of the Skin maintain the Original Colour of the Person resulting in an appearance of Patches; the Finger Nails and Lips express Increased Blues; they are the darkest shade. Advanced Cyanosis results in an Alarming Appearance; it is an unpleasant sight; accordingly it is a Grave Symptom; and worthy of Distress. A Purple Person must not be ignored; Emergency Services must be contacted; the Phone Number for the Ambulance in my Country is 112; I do not know what it is in other Countries; do not try to breathe into the Person's Lungs; the Oxygen that you inhale is converted to Carbon Dioxide almost immediately by your own Lungs; you will only do Harm to the Cyanotic Patient; they will not live.

Um. As a paramedic I can very easily say that the last 3 or 4 sentences are bullshit.

Upon exhalation, you're breathing out between 13 and 16% oxygen, about 4-6% CO2, and the rest being Nitrogen.

Where that post came from bothers me, because I'm sure someone will take it to heart and watch someone die of asphyxiation without attempting to deliver rescue breaths/heimlich maneuver/whatever acceptable maneuver to assist oxygenation.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

EZipperelli posted:

Um. As a paramedic I can very easily say that the last 3 or 4 sentences are bullshit.

Upon exhalation, you're breathing out between 13 and 16% oxygen, about 4-6% CO2, and the rest being Nitrogen.

Where that post came from bothers me, because I'm sure someone will take it to heart and watch someone die of asphyxiation without attempting to deliver rescue breaths/heimlich maneuver/whatever acceptable maneuver to assist oxygenation.

Pretty much why scrubbers and rebreathers are used

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

EZipperelli posted:

Please do not be Profane toward me; I am not making a Bull Sh*t Post; I am giving Useful Advice; the Advice is based on my Personal Experience with breathing into the mouth of a Patient with Cyanosis and the grim out come thereof; namely that the Patient died; my breathing did not result in Resuscitation; in fact the Doctor informed me that my breathing could not have helped; it was not a Technique Error; I Did Nothing Wrong; It Was Just A Tragedy.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Enhydra lutris posted:

Please do not be Profane toward me; I am not making a Bull Sh*t Post; I am giving Useful Advice; the Advice is based on my Personal Experience with breathing into the mouth of a Patient with Cyanosis and the grim out come thereof; namely that the Patient died; my breathing did not result in Resuscitation; in fact the Doctor informed me that my breathing could not have helped; it was not a Technique Error; I Did Nothing Wrong; It Was Just A Tragedy.

I find your posts pleasant and heartening and therefore off-topic.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

RNG posted:

I find your posts pleasant and heartening and therefore off-topic.

I find what he does to punctuation to be slightly unnerving.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Enhydra lutris posted:

So it sounds like you're saying that since in one case rescue breathing didn't worked it should never be attempted? Also, you don't have to spoiler your swear words if you're going to asterisk them out.

Chichevache posted:

I find what he does to punctuation to be slightly unnerving.

Way too many f**king semicolons.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Breathing into the Mouth of a Patient with Cyanosis is ineffective; it does not work; the Patient Dies; it is a Useless Enterprise; it facilitates the Spread of Bacteria through Saliva Transfer; the Doctor told me that it rarely works; the Doctor told me that once the Patient is Blue [suffering from Cyanosis] and Unconscious it is very difficult to Resuscitate them with out Proper Equipment; the Doctor would not Lie to me under these Circumstances; Doctors must only tell The Truth.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Enhydra lutris posted:

Doctors must only tell The Truth.

Ahhhh, you had me up to this part. As someone who works in the medical field, I can tell you that this is definitely not the case, although I am not saying that the doctor lied to you in this instance. Someone with more medical knowledge and training will have to address the other stuff you said.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Well, this story both unnerves me, but is also one of the saddest things too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahi_McMath_case

Long story short, the girl, Jahi started hemorrhaging after a very intensive operation to try and get rid of her sleep apnea. Part of it was probably because her family gave her a goddamn burger not long after the procedure, and she was talking (two things you aren't supposed to do right after that kind of surgery), and tore the sutures. Her lungs filled up with blood, and she suffered cardiac arrest.

The hospital declared her brain dead, but the parents refused to pull the plug. This was in 2013. They moved to New Jersey because she wasn't considered 'legally dead' there. With a respirator, tracheostomy and a feeding tube, blood is still getting pumped around her body, but not to the brain. A doctor at the hospital gave a deposition that was pretty much 'this girl is dead as poo poo and sloughing out parts of her guts'. They also refused to donate her organs. They could have been used to save some lives, but instead they're probably decomposing into a rancid slurry inside of her.

Even worse? The mother posts pics of her on Instagram, and you can tell that the skin on the extremities is going necrotic. The mother also poses her to be like 'look, she can sit cross-legged!' 'Oh ho ho, my daughter (who certainly isn't a slowly rotting husk!) is trying to get out of bed. This woman is doting over a slowly decaying corpse and is either bugnuts insane, or is really, really in denial.

The whole thought of it just scares the poo poo out of me. My brother and I made the gentleman's agreement of 'if one of us ends up brain dead, pull the plug and donate my organs'

And if that's not unnerving enough, http://www.scarysymptoms.com/2014/01/dr-heidi-floris-description-of-jahi.html has the deposition by one of the doctors that attended to her after Jahi ended up brain dead.

LadyPictureShow has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Jul 12, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Well, this story both unnerves me, but is also one of the saddest things too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahi_McMath_case

This one upsets me too. It's another Baby Faith scenario.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Karma Monkey posted:

Ahhhh, you had me up to this part. As someone who works in the medical field, I can tell you that this is definitely not the case, although I am not saying that the doctor lied to you in this instance. Someone with more medical knowledge and training will have to address the other stuff you said.

I like how otter posting is contagious.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

That thread nearly kept me from registering. I looked again thinking maybe it wasn't as awful and cruel as I remembered, but nope, it sure was.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Literally Kermit posted:

Lol, I hosed up some numbers, yeah. I didn't even google it, I was going by half-remembered figures from the everest thread. :v:

I will go change it after I maths, but generally they were at "the altitude you can't breathe at without assistance".

Edit: I feel like I let Frostwerks down somehow and that hurts the worst :smith:

It's ok, I was asking for it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Oh jeez, baby Faith. Don't get me wrong, that part where the baby daddy popped up and hilarity ensued was good for a chuckle, but I still felt super sad for the mother and baby. Why is it always the super-religious types that decide 'baby has no brain, will die horribly, oh well!' Or 'no we can't pull the plug! Miracles happen all the time!' *daughter's skin rots away*

And oh God, I found the instagram pictures I mentioned in my previous post. The mother took this pic of Jahi to 'prove' she's on the up and up:

Uh, yeah, I actually think keeping still is the only thing she can do.

This woman poses her daughter's corpse. She poses her daughter's goddamn corpse. This is seriously some Carl Cossel type insanity.

This Tumblr has even more pics. Nothing exactly graphic, just mom kissing a corpse, and a lot of pictures of mani/pedis the mother did, but you can tell there's blood pooling in her hands and feet, and are a color they should not be.
http://kesselrunin12parsecs.tumblr.com/

LadyPictureShow has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Jul 12, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gotta be honest, that corpse looks pretty healthy in that Instagram account. No doubt there's complete brain death, but it's not exactly the rotting husk you guys are describing.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh jeez, baby Faith. Don't get me wrong, that part where the baby daddy popped up and hilarity ensued was good for a chuckle, but I still felt super sad for the mother and baby. Why is it always the super-religious types that decide 'baby has no brain, will die horribly, oh well!' Or 'no we can't pull the plug! Miracles happen all the time!' *daughter's skin rots away*

And oh God, I found the instagram pictures I mentioned in my previous post. The mother took this pic of Jahi to 'prove' she's on the up and up:

Uh, yeah, I actually think keeping still is the only thing she can do.

This woman poses her daughter's corpse. She poses her daughter's goddamn corpse. This is seriously some Carl Cossel type insanity.

This Tumblr has even more pics. Nothing exactly graphic, just mom kissing a corpse, and a lot of pictures of mani/pedis the mother did, but you can tell there's blood pooling in her hands and feet, and are a color they should not be.
http://kesselrunin12parsecs.tumblr.com/

She killed her, I guess she's not dealing with the guilt well.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Don't forget that contractures are definitely a thing. I am doubtful that this girl tries to escape from bed on her own but honestly finding someone like her with their legs drawn up is pretty much expected. Muscles don't like it when they're not being used.

And also yeah I'm not seeing anything like tissue necrosis in any of those photos. Trust me, if tissue is dead it's super obvious. I still think its wrong to keep her "alive" but she looks like she's not doing too bad just from her outward condition. Of course her backside is where all the pooling and ulceration would begin so that's not saying much.

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Jul 12, 2015

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Even worse? The mother posts pics of her on Instagram, and you can tell that the skin on the extremities is going necrotic. The mother also poses her to be like 'look, she can sit cross-legged!' 'Oh ho ho, my daughter (who certainly isn't a slowly rotting husk!) is trying to get out of bed. This woman is doting over a slowly decaying corpse and is either bugnuts insane, or is really, really in denial.

hosed up. That lady is mentally deranged. Reminds me of this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Tanzler

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Don't forget that contractures are definitely a thing. I am doubtful that this girl tries to escape from bed on her own but honestly finding someone like her with their legs drawn up is pretty much expected. Muscles don't like it when they're not being used.

And also yeah I'm not seeing anything like tissue necrosis in any of those photos. Trust me, if tissue is dead it's super obvious. I still think its wrong to keep her "alive" but she looks like she's not doing too bad just from her outward condition. Of course her backside is where all the pooling and ulceration would begin so that's not saying much.

True, but those limbs would have to contract massively to get the body to sit up and cross her legs like that.

The finger joints and tips look like they aren't doing so good, but there was another case where a 4-year old ended up brain dead from meningitis. His parents refused to pull the plug, and he 'functioned' with a respirator/feeding tube for twenty years. And when they did an autopsy, apparently his brain was all shriveled up and calcified.

I don't doubt that a parent's worst fear is losing their child, but stuff like that is just ghoulish.

Another one from the annals of futile medical care
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_K

Basically 'sure my baby has no brain, but I want her hooked up to a ventilator'!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
:gonk:

I take it back, this thread is going back to the relatively cheerful world of horrible plane crashes ASAP

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Please, please, can we go back to the world of plane crashes and psycho murderers?

Speaking of, there's one I remember reading about years ago, where a Japanese woman was abducted, tortured and raped for over 40 days by four of her classmates and when she finally died, they disposed of her body in a cement barrel. The wiki page doesn't go into much detail though, I remember it used to go into what the coroner's report said they did to her in that time. It was hosed up what they did to her.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I wonder if this is what's happening to Bobbi Kristina Brown. That whole situation is unnerving as well. From the latest she's wasting away at a hospice while the two sides of her family battle each other.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Randalor posted:

The wiki page doesn't go into much detail though, I remember it used to go into what the coroner's report said they did to her in that time. It was hosed up what they did to her.

It is extremely hosed up and unless you like jumping awake just before you drift off to sleep to the ideas and images of what they did to here, don't look it up. Just FYI. Because I deeply regret reading it.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

bean_shadow posted:

I wonder if this is what's happening to Bobbi Kristina Brown. That whole situation is unnerving as well. From the latest she's wasting away at a hospice while the two sides of her family battle each other.

You know a situation is screwed up when TMZ is taking the moral highground and not buying the pictures of her in hospice and trying to expose the family member trying to sell them.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Wedemeyer posted:

It is extremely hosed up and unless you like jumping awake just before you drift off to sleep to the ideas and images of what they did to here, don't look it up. Just FYI. Because I deeply regret reading it.

If memory serves, someone did a porn manga about it :japan:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

That can be said for anything and everything.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Cool. Thanks.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

there was another case where a 4-year old ended up brain dead from meningitis. His parents refused to pull the plug, and he 'functioned' with a respirator/feeding tube for twenty years. And when they did an autopsy, apparently his brain was all shriveled up and calcified.
I googled around and found this, which seems to be what you're talking about. loving horrible but I'm really curious about how (whether?) the kid's body developed over that timespan.

vv "Gross appearance" indeed, jesus :(

Pretty good has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Jul 12, 2015

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

sinking belle posted:

I googled around and found this, which seems to be what you're talking about. loving horrible but I'm really curious about how (whether?) the kid's body developed over that timespan.
:nms:And here's what the brain looked like:nms:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Here's a PDF of the report after he died, for the morbidly curious.

e.: It's really easy to sit here and think about how stupid these parents must have been, but I'm trying to put myself in their shoes. I see my 4 year old go from perfectly healthy to hooked up to a ventilator in 24 hours. The doctors are telling me he's braindead but that can't be right, he was fine yesterday morning. Besides, don't coma patients sometimes wake up from comas after the doctors said they were vegetables, right? Let's just keep him on the ventilator for a while. it can't hurt, and who knows, maybe the doctors were wrong!

After you've locked yourself into that decision, it becomes that much harder to go back. When do you decide to give up - after one year? Five years? Ten years? How terrible must it be to know, deep in the back of your mind, that your child is only alive because of you, and you're going to have to decide when to kill him? You can make that decision, you can pick the day you're going to let him die... or you can just yield to the sunk cost fallacy and keep him going. It can't hurt. We've come this far. Who knows, miracles happen...

Apparently at the end, he was having increasingly terrible respiratory infections, requiring increasingly aggressive treatment. Only then did his parents decide no further measures should be taken to keep him alive. It must have been a relief to feel like finally Fate was playing its hand, and they wouldn't have to make that terrible decision.

A Pinball Wizard has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Jul 13, 2015

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Randalor posted:

Please, please, can we go back to the world of plane crashes and psycho murderers?

Speaking of, there's one I remember reading about years ago, where a Japanese woman was abducted, tortured and raped for over 40 days by four of her classmates and when she finally died, they disposed of her body in a cement barrel. The wiki page doesn't go into much detail though, I remember it used to go into what the coroner's report said they did to her in that time. It was hosed up what they did to her.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta

After this I'd rather go back to anencephaly, thanks. :(

Note: she wasn't exactly a "woman" but rather a 17-year-old high school student.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

A Pinball Wizard posted:

e.: It's really easy to sit here and think about how stupid these parents must have been, but I'm trying to put myself in their shoes. I see my 4 year old go from perfectly healthy to hooked up to a ventilator in 24 hours. The doctors are telling me he's braindead but that can't be right, he was fine yesterday morning. Besides, don't coma patients sometimes wake up from comas after the doctors said they were vegetables, right? Let's just keep him on the ventilator for a while. it can't hurt, and who knows, maybe the doctors were wrong!

After you've locked yourself into that decision, it becomes that much harder to go back. When do you decide to give up - after one year? Five years? Ten years? How terrible must it be to know, deep in the back of your mind, that your child is only alive because of you, and you're going to have to decide when to kill him? You can make that decision, you can pick the day you're going to let him die... or you can just yield to the sunk cost fallacy and keep him going. It can't hurt. We've come this far. Who knows, miracles happen...

Apparently at the end, he was having increasingly terrible respiratory infections, requiring increasingly aggressive treatment. Only then did his parents decide no further measures should be taken to keep him alive. It must have been a relief to feel like finally Fate was playing its hand, and they wouldn't have to make that terrible decision.

This was super interesting. Although, IMHO they probably should have pulled the plug way, way sooner since...

sinking belle posted:

vv "Gross appearance" indeed, jesus :(

...it should have become obvious when his growth topped out a little over 3 feet (so, basically the height he was at the time of meningitis infection), and if not then when it became obvious he didn't/wouldn't have a true puberty. That's a pretty definitive sign that the brain isn't sending the signals of a living, thriving human

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

PYF unnerving article, story or porn manga

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Heck, even worse are the few stories that happened in the past few years, where a woman has ended up in that sort of situation, the spouse/family wants the plug pulled, but the hospital won't allow it, because the woman is pregnant.

(I promise I won't mention any more of these stories. These cases just stick in my mind because this sort of thing is a pretty big fear of mine. I read Johnny Got His Gun in my early teens, and the idea of being cognizant and 'trapped' in your own mind while the hospital staff all think you're a brain dead shell just gives me the willies to no end.)

LadyPictureShow has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, after having seen The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, I came to the conclusion that scenarios like that, as in locked in syndrome, was like the scariest poo poo imaginable. My father has made his medical wishes pretty clear regarding this sorta poo poo. That stroke scene is loving horrifying, just out of nowhere, a relatively not-old dude doomed to one of the worst possible fates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked-in_syndrome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Dominique_Bauby