Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yes but do you have experience working with this new-fangled VLAN thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Hey, what's really important here is the Bachelor's degree. Can't be ponying up $17/hour for one a' them "uneducateds."

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Ok I'm at my wits end trying to fix this and have tried every suggested fix I could find.

Has anyone ever run into "crystal reports print engine error 513"? All the stuff Microsoft suggests works for the first report this user prints and then starts throwing the error again. Printer is directly connected to PC via USB.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

crunk dork posted:

Ok I'm at my wits end trying to fix this and have tried every suggested fix I could find.

Has anyone ever run into "crystal reports print engine error 513"? All the stuff Microsoft suggests works for the first report this user prints and then starts throwing the error again. Printer is directly connected to PC via USB.

First thing I try with obscure software printer errors, that don't seem to be the fault of the printer, is use a PDF-writer printer driver, see if that produces sensible results.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Hi thread!

After an executive cagematch and subsequent reorg, my taskings have dwindled to nothing. I've begged for work and have not got it. I've done work for other teams, and have been admonished because "your plate is so full right now." So I'm doing nothing.

Farting around on the forums was fine for a while, but can anyone suggest a more productive way to spend my time? I have a laptop I can install anything on, and an unlimited wifi hotspot. Unfortunately I'm in an open office, so I can't work my way through the Criterion Collection or anything.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Hi thread!

After an executive cagematch and subsequent reorg, my taskings have dwindled to nothing. I've begged for work and have not got it. I've done work for other teams, and have been admonished because "your plate is so full right now." So I'm doing nothing.

Farting around on the forums was fine for a while, but can anyone suggest a more productive way to spend my time? I have a laptop I can install anything on, and an unlimited wifi hotspot. Unfortunately I'm in an open office, so I can't work my way through the Criterion Collection or anything.

Cert up and get out. Or become that guy who didn't do work for like 5 years.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Hi thread!

What are your interests, professionally? What's your career trajectory? What do you want to be doing in five years?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you are interested in Windows at all, learn powershell. It is invaluable, and it looks like work.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I'm in security, theoretically threat intelligence collection. I've enjoyed denial and deception ops, but I think the most fun I've had is fast turnaround research for red team engagements, both technical and social engineering stuff. I was originally brought on to manage a three person team, who were subsequently never hired after the exec cagematch. In 5 years, I'd like to be director of a threat intel or red team unit, partly so that I don't have to work under someone's cargo-culty view of what intelligence is.

Honestly, writing that out was helpful. I've focused alot on denial and deception work in the past two years, but my actual pen testing skills are weak so maybe thats a good place to start.

I have just discovered that I'm allowed to use Powershell on my corp box, so that's a great idea. Thanks!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Hi thread!

My job got insanely boring real quick and I hosed around on the forums far too long and got comfortable. I could have certed like crazy during all this and gotten a good job but instead I'm moving to a MSP to get some actual experience on different things and feel like I've wasted a couple years. Use this time and study like crazy because you probably won't get another chance like it again

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SaltLick posted:

My job got insanely boring real quick and I hosed around on the forums far too long and got comfortable. I could have certed like crazy during all this and gotten a good job but instead I'm moving to a MSP to get some actual experience on different things and feel like I've wasted a couple years. Use this time and study like crazy because you probably won't get another chance like it again

I've been in similar situations and looked back at all that time I wasted doing nothing. The worst part is when you would come from a day of nothing at work and relax and also do nothing. What a waste. Like others have said if you have the time at work use it wisely, study for certifications, practice coding, or take on side projects. I set goals for myself now at work be it a project or a cert and work towards them in my free time. It makes me feel a lot better about myself and also pays off career wise. I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten my current job without some of my certifications and other projects that I took on myself.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Hi thread!

Are there multiple sites or branches of your office? Offer to do additional work on the other site.

Then tell everyone you're traveling out to the branch office, but instead just go work somewhere else, and collect two salaries at once.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Dark Helmut posted:

Some of our clients make us roll candidates through tech screens. It's a pain in the rear end (because I generally have only basic knowledge of the topic) but ultimately as a recruiter I don't want you to fail unless you come across as a real dummy.

Maybe ask the recruiter if he will give you the questions ahead of time so you can prep?

I ended up not asking and just plowed through the technical screening. The guy was actually pretty cool, we chatted about how spoiled I am working with all new hardware and having a product life cycle of like 6 months. Gonna miss it when it's eventually gone :smith:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Last year, someone on campus misappropriated funds and purchased three ASUS RoG gaming laptops: i7, 16gb ddr3, Nvidia 670, 1TB SSD.

Long story short, that person got fired, and I have a new kickass laptop!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sepist posted:

I ended up not asking and just plowed through the technical screening. The guy was actually pretty cool, we chatted about how spoiled I am working with all new hardware and having a product life cycle of like 6 months. Gonna miss it when it's eventually gone :smith:

What's prompting you to leave? Sorry if it's already posted in one of the 10 other IT threads.

Job I just left is literally running some production databases on 8 year old HP G5 DL380s and Dell 2950's :lol: It's a testament to the Ops and Dev teams that the site runs at all, let alone runs passably serving millions of pageviews a day, given the hilarious lack of resources.

New place claims to refresh hardware religiously every 3 years. I'm looking forward to that leap, forget "nothing more than 6 months old" heh.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

To be fair, I'm pretty sure 8 years ago was the last time a significant number of people used that site.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure 8 years ago was the last time a significant number of people used that site.

it hurts because it's true :negative:

I'm actually shocked by the amount of traffic we continued to get considering anyone's reaction when I talked about where I worked was "...that still exists?" I'm dangerously close to going on an uncalled for rant about management so I will just shut up. But we were serving a fuckload of page views and it's kind of insane that the company was never able to monetize that enormous audience (which they do actually still have, even if it's not "cool"). Pretty sure a lot of startups would kill for the traffic we had.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Docjowles posted:

What's prompting you to leave? Sorry if it's already posted in one of the 10 other IT threads.

A few things all related to my contract. The company I am contracted to is considering converting all contractors to full time employees, and I have no interest in being a FTE for this company. FTE's require a bachelor degree that I don't have, and oh yea, if they don't do the conversion then they plan to release all contractors without a degree.

My current role is a Senior blah blah and this new one is an Architect position with a little bit of technical management thrown in, so it would be a nice bump in both a personal challenge and moving further along in my career.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sepist posted:

A few things all related to my contract. The company I am contracted to is considering converting all contractors to full time employees, and I have no interest in being a FTE for this company. FTE's require a bachelor degree that I don't have, and oh yea, if they don't do the conversion then they plan to release all contractors without a degree.

My current role is a Senior blah blah and this new one is an Architect position with a little bit of technical management thrown in, so it would be a nice bump in both a personal challenge and moving further along in my career.

Because without your degree how can you be doing the job you're already doing? You think just because you're doing it already, that you can actually do it without a degree?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Because without your degree how can you be doing the job you're already doing? You think just because you're doing it already, that you can actually do it without a degree?

If they hire people already going their jobs well without degrees then that devalues their own degree.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea these kind of corporate decisions are one of my reasons for avoiding being a FTE there. If I'm going to go back to that kind of employment I would most likely want to work at a startup or just a small company.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Any advice for an architect who never got any certs? I get budget every year for whatever training I want but I'm having trouble deciding if I should pursue certs at this point in my career, and if so which ones.

On the technical side I do probably 50% network design, 20% security and 30% VMware/DR. As well as a lot of project planning, budgeting, etc.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to pursue management or a PMP, because the reason I love going to work every day is the technology. I also don't think being a middle manager in IT would provide anywhere near the job security as being the senior architect who knows how every system and silo works.

Is taking the long road through CCNA and CCNP worth it at this point? Maybe a CCDA is more worthwhile at this level? When I look through CBT nuggets I get overwhelmed and want to take all of the courses, but I know that's not realistic.

As far as what I enjoy, I love security and am thinking about CEH and CISSP but it's not super relevant to my current day to day.

Any thoughts?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

whaam posted:

Any advice for an architect who never got any certs? I get budget every year for whatever training I want but I'm having trouble deciding if I should pursue certs at this point in my career, and if so which ones.

On the technical side I do probably 50% network design, 20% security and 30% VMware/DR. As well as a lot of project planning, budgeting, etc.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to pursue management or a PMP, because the reason I love going to work every day is the technology. I also don't think being a middle manager in IT would provide anywhere near the job security as being the senior architect who knows how every system and silo works.

Is taking the long road through CCNA and CCNP worth it at this point? Maybe a CCDA is more worthwhile at this level? When I look through CBT nuggets I get overwhelmed and want to take all of the courses, but I know that's not realistic.

As far as what I enjoy, I love security and am thinking about CEH and CISSP but it's not super relevant to my current day to day.

Any thoughts?

CISSP is a pretty easy test and super easy to maintain without having to re-test. It's pretty much the "CCNA" of the security the world as far as resume fodder goes. The pre-req to take the exam is simply having someone you work with validate that "yes, wham *does* in fact do security stuff as part of his job."

There's nothing stopping you from getting both networking and security certs, but this probably the point where you make a choice. It sounds like you're doing more infrastructure architecture than anything, so I'd recommend CCNA/CCDA to start, those are always good to have regardless. Then you can make a decision what road you want to travel. Security, Networking or Design. Note that there are security certs available as part of the Cisco path.

Oh, and to add some potential confusion your way, there's also the CWNA series of certs. They're fairly challenging and will make you stand out a bit, because most people can't design or maintain a *good* wireless network to save their lives.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Docjowles posted:

it hurts because it's true :negative:

I'm actually shocked by the amount of traffic we continued to get considering anyone's reaction when I talked about where I worked was "...that still exists?" I'm dangerously close to going on an uncalled for rant about management so I will just shut up. But we were serving a fuckload of page views and it's kind of insane that the company was never able to monetize that enormous audience (which they do actually still have, even if it's not "cool"). Pretty sure a lot of startups would kill for the traffic we had.

Where was that?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Yesterday afternoon the HR assistant walks into my office and this conversation ensued:

HR: I want the controller's printer.
Dick: Well... she might be using it.
HR: When she's not using it.
Dick: Do you foresee when that will be?
HR: Friday's her last day. I thought you knew.

It amazes me that even in a small company with just two HR people they still can't get their poo poo together enough to tell me when someone is leaving or being hired. A week ago the HR VP mentioned she was hiring for eight positions. I asked for a list so I could pre-order equipment. Then yesterday I get an email about two new hires, and neither was on the list. When I asked her she said "I just found out."

How does the HR VP not know this? Should I still feel bad for holding the opinion that the only reason people work in HR is because they have no measurable work skills?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have more HR people at my company than IT people. My boss blew up at HR yesterday because they aren't following proper procedure for new hires. It's hosed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Should I still feel bad for holding the opinion that the only reason people work in HR is because they have no measurable work skills?

You should feel bad for holding any kind of generalized, stereotypical, or ignorant opinion.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

CLAM DOWN posted:

You should feel bad for holding any kind of generalized, stereotypical, or ignorant opinion.
Even when they're right? :banjo:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach.

Those who can't teach, work in HR.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

It amazes me that even in a small company with just two HR people they still can't get their poo poo together enough to tell me when someone is leaving or being hired.

Not too long ago they fired someone where I work. HR went to one IT person of sevenish and had a behind doors conversation. They had him change her AD/Exchange password so she couldn't access her account while they pulled what they needed from it. They told him not to tell anyone because they were trying to be quiet about it.

Later that afternoon she called someone and told them she couldn't access her email. That person was unaware that she was fired and reset her password.

I'm pretty sure there was a long talk after that about how the entire IT team needs to know when someone gets let go.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

siggy2021 posted:

Not too long ago they fired someone where I work. HR went to one IT person of sevenish and had a behind doors conversation. They had him change her AD/Exchange password so she couldn't access her account while they pulled what they needed from it. They told him not to tell anyone because they were trying to be quiet about it.

Later that afternoon she called someone and told them she couldn't access her email. That person was unaware that she was fired and reset her password.

I'm pretty sure there was a long talk after that about how the entire IT team needs to know when someone gets let go.

It is also just bad administration. There is no reason for someone to logon as someone else in that scenario. All access can be granted from their own accounts. What a poo poo show.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
HR is universally full of retards and/or the most petty individuals on the entire planet

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

go3 posted:

HR is universally full of retards and/or the most petty individuals on the entire planet

And IT is universally full of smug mouthbreathing libertarians with an inflated sense of self-worth. Ignorant generalizations are fun!! :)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CLAM DOWN posted:

And IT is universally full of smug mouthbreathing libertarians with an inflated sense of self-worth. Ignorant generalizations are fun!! :)

i didn't know you were libertarian

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sickening posted:

It is also just bad administration. There is no reason for someone to logon as someone else in that scenario. All access can be granted from their own accounts. What a poo poo show.

It also can create doubt over any evidence gathered.

"I didn't send that racist email, HR did after having IT change my account credentials and impersonated me."

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Sickening posted:

Oh there's like a billion security issues that I would love to fix but everything is so ingrained it's difficult. The people who would be responsible if something went wrong are aware as well, but they inherited the problems.

It's kind of sad, though. I came into this job from another department with no degree, no certs, and no formal work experience and I'm the guy going "Uhh... why am I giving all of our users local admin to their pc?"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

go3 posted:

Wait until you work for a Fortune 500.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

siggy2021 posted:

Oh there's like a billion security issues that I would love to fix but everything is so ingrained it's difficult. The people who would be responsible if something went wrong are aware as well, but they inherited the problems.

It's kind of sad, though. I came into this job from another department with no degree, no certs, and no formal work experience and I'm the guy going "Uhh... why am I giving all of our users local admin to their pc?"

All our users have local admin to their PC, but it hasn't broken anything due to our security appliances.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Our O365 is down. MS posted an incident:

quote:

Current Status: Engineers are investigating an issue in which some customers may be experiencing problems accessing or using Exchange Online services or features. This event is actively being investigated. More information will be provided shortly.

Literally as I walked out the door for a 4 day weekend. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mayodreams posted:

Literally as I walked out the door for a 4 day weekend. :negative:

That sounds like a plus actually. You can't do anything about it except wait on Microsoft and now no one can be emailing you and expecting to respond.

Win. Win.