Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

new skaters are you familiar with the concept of "try hard"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Have 3 pre-game beers for carbs.

I agree.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

new skaters are you familiar with the concept of "try hard"

Are we talking about trying your hardest or are we talking about being a tryhard?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

doctor 7 posted:

Really makes a difference compared to eating some lovely burger 2 hours before a game.

This is my approach. Works for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veteran skaters are you familiar with the concept of "grumpy old man"

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
For the record, Thai curry + white rice is superior to pasta, especially if you're carb depleted when you eat eat. Zoom! But you must have a stomach that can accept and contain Thai food 2-3 hours before exercise.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Also helps to pre-empt pain and provides confidence with the puck

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

doctor 7 posted:

Also helps to pre-empt pain and provides confidence with the puck

Healthy, competitive meals on the day of a game also give your cellys more yump.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
No joke I'm gonna work on that 'strut' celly so I can bust it out during the winter season.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm going to use it in the next championship game I'm in. Or against a team we hate.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

A cup of coffee 20 minutes before game time will do you well

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
gingerbread waffle with orange infused butter + bacon and eggs and coffee in the morn, then a beer before the game, then beer after in the locker room (I mean, we're called The Growlers after all :rimshot:), then sushi has been the norm afterward the game lately.

Ain't complaining about that ritual one bit.

edit:

D C posted:

No joke I'm gonna work on that 'strut' celly so I can bust it out during the winter season.

Not that I'm ever gonna score a goal / be able to use it - but you got a good video link of this particular celly?

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 17, 2015

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I knock back a shot of vodka in the car and listen to power metal before games. That's the only nutrition I need.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duke Chin posted:

Not that I'm ever gonna score a goal / be able to use it - but you got a good video link of this particular celly?

Think it was this one:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
hahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaahahahahaa oh my god

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Hahahahahahaha holy poo poo

Duke Chin posted:

gingerbread waffle with orange infused butter + bacon and eggs and coffee in the morn, then a beer before the game, then beer after in the locker room (I mean, we're called The Growlers after all :rimshot:), then sushi has been the norm afterward the game lately.

Ain't complaining about that ritual one bit.
Jesus Christ I would throw up loving everywhere.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

doctor 7 posted:

Jesus Christ I would throw up loving everywhere.

I mean, there's like a 6+ hour gap between waffletown and game time. That's more poop than puke at that point. :v:
(also it's actually not really that much food - the waffle isn't thick/huge, 1 egg, 2 strips o bacon)
The chicken and kaiserschmarrn pregame a couple weeks ago, however, was, as the kids say: "dope as hell". THAT was way too much.

ed: then/than

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 17, 2015

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

xzzy posted:

Think it was this one:

This would notably backfire with a griptac stick (I can't stand that poo poo).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You don't need to squeeze the stick super hard.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The grin in front of the other bench is what really sells that celebration.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm going to use it in the next championship game I'm in. Or against a team we hate.

Is this before or after you defend YOUR GIRLFRIEND?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

xzzy posted:

Think it was this one:

Hahahaha! If I celebrate at all, it's always the "holster my stick" celebration but that strut really completes the effect.

Day 4 of Hockey Week is in the books and I am dying. Four hours on the ice at camp (two in the morning, two in the afternoon), working on stops, stickhandling, passing, and shooting. I got to see some tape review of my own starting and stopping, and it was pretty humbling, but at least I know what to work on. In between ice sessions, there were a few "class" sessions. The aforementioned tape review, a "sniper seminar" by the goalie coach teaching shooters the things all beer league goalies do and how to beat them, and a basic defensive positioning and skills "chalk talk" that focused on three fundamentals: 1) protect the inside of the ice 2) stop listening when people tell you to always keep two hands on your stick 3) show people to their backhand if you can. I liked this session much better than the first day, since it wasn't working on remedial skating fundamentals that I'm terrible at, but instead stick and puck skills that I'm slightly less terrible at.

One thing this camp has taught me is that a lot of the advice veteran beer leaguers I play with give isn't always the best. The coaches recommended not playing tight to your point man as a winger, but giving a little space when the puck was away from them and using good positioning to force the dman to do something worthless if he gets possession. They also poo-poo'd keeping two hands on your stick at all times, which people had yelled at me a lot to do last year until I made it a habit. Now I've got to get used to using a one-handed stick to take away ice and options from the opposing puck carrier.

After a brief three hour break, I then had a league game tonight. Very strange game. I had very little energy after so much skating earlier in the day, but I still managed to bag a hat trick. And we still managed to lose 11-5.

I'll just be over here lying on the floor dying.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

Is this before or after you defend YOUR GIRLFRIEND?

1.5/10 internet chirp.

After, of course.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 18, 2015

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bgreman posted:

Hahahaha! If I celebrate at all, it's always the "holster my stick" celebration but that strut really completes the effect.

Day 4 of Hockey Week is in the books and I am dying. Four hours on the ice at camp (two in the morning, two in the afternoon), working on stops, stickhandling, passing, and shooting. I got to see some tape review of my own starting and stopping, and it was pretty humbling, but at least I know what to work on. In between ice sessions, there were a few "class" sessions. The aforementioned tape review, a "sniper seminar" by the goalie coach teaching shooters the things all beer league goalies do and how to beat them, and a basic defensive positioning and skills "chalk talk" that focused on three fundamentals: 1) protect the inside of the ice 2) stop listening when people tell you to always keep two hands on your stick 3) show people to their backhand if you can. I liked this session much better than the first day, since it wasn't working on remedial skating fundamentals that I'm terrible at, but instead stick and puck skills that I'm slightly less terrible at.

One thing this camp has taught me is that a lot of the advice veteran beer leaguers I play with give isn't always the best. The coaches recommended not playing tight to your point man as a winger, but giving a little space when the puck was away from them and using good positioning to force the dman to do something worthless if he gets possession. They also poo-poo'd keeping two hands on your stick at all times, which people had yelled at me a lot to do last year until I made it a habit. Now I've got to get used to using a one-handed stick to take away ice and options from the opposing puck carrier.

After a brief three hour break, I then had a league game tonight. Very strange game. I had very little energy after so much skating earlier in the day, but I still managed to bag a hat trick. And we still managed to lose 11-5.

I'll just be over here lying on the floor dying.

Man I wish we offered this kind of class where I live. I take everything I hear in beer league with a grain of salt, but in the D league I play in, we did better when wingers covered the point men tighter in the D zone. Most of the time it was absolute chaos anyway, so we basically split everyone in to corners in the D zone and told them to just stick to their men. It seemed to work better after the shitshow that was games 1 and 2.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
People yelling to beginners to keep 2 hands on the stick is mostly about beginners trying to lean-and-reach in situations where you will do better if you step in with more leverage on the stick. If you're playing vs. another beginner who is also lean-and-reaching it'll work out fine (I mean, one of you will bump the puck in a direction and then eventually someone from one of the teams will pick it up), but once you're playing with people who skate to the puck and control their stick a little bit you'll lose out.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Yeah, it's basically the same as "keep your stick on the ice." Generally you want to as a rule but there are exceptions.

Much more so with one hand on your stick.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

xzzy posted:

You joke, but that's what those energy chews that have become super common lately are intended to help with. They're basically big blocks of easy to process carbs.

Those things are amazing. I cycle occasionally and during the mid way break a couple energy blocks really do the trick.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
RE: 2 hands on the stick, I had a cool play the other night. I was on the forecheck, going left to right across their blue line as their D had the puck down at the circle. I saw he was going to flip it cross-ice, so I put my stick out behind me, about waist high. The puck hit the blade of my stick, knocking it down and giving my team a quick breakaway. We didn't score, but I sure looked like a genius for a few seconds. :cool:

We lost 3-0, but we had 6 skaters and they had 9, so it was a sloppy game overall. All 3 goals came in the first 3 minutes of the third period, too, so it wasn't that bad. At least I got plenty of ice time!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hmm, perhaps I need more lower body strength.

https://twitter.com/TwistSport/status/622534871701827585

:stare:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just bought some rollerblades. I haven't skated since I was young someone tell me how to not die

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I got the stink 100% out of my gear. It's now just a smell. :)

Unfortunately my broke rear end won't be able to re-stinkify it all for a while till I find another job and/or knock my debt down to a reasonable level. :(

Why couldn't I just enjoy a cheap sport like basketball or soccer.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Nitramster posted:

Because they suck

Stultus
Jul 22, 2007

So Pure Hockey was having their annual tent sale this weekend, with 25% off the entire store, and I somehow managed to score the new CCM Jetspeed 300 skates for $150 less than normal price. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't have been allowed, but I'm pretty satisfied with the score.

I haven't skated in them yet, but the fit already feels incredible. Coming from a pair of Bauer Vapors, the fit is pretty similar, and worth looking at for anyone wearing Vapors looking for another option.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My wife just accepted a job transfer to Seattle from Chicago. We should be out there by the end of August or early september and I'll be looking to play hockey from day 1 so I wouldn't mind meeting up with some Seattle goons at some point.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Nitramster posted:

I got the stink 100% out of my gear. It's now just a smell. :)

Unfortunately my broke rear end won't be able to re-stinkify it all for a while till I find another job and/or knock my debt down to a reasonable level. :(

Did you stop playing?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Wooty posted:

Did you stop playing?

Taking a season off from league but if I have some spare cash here or there I'll come out on Tuesday pick up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Over the weekend, one of the coaches for the instructional league I play in had his house burned to the ground, lost everything. The organizer of the league sent out a mail Sunday morning informing people and asking if anyone had old hockey gear they could donate so he would be able to get back to work. By afternoon someone had offered to buy him all new gear, someone else was willing to loan him a car, a big envelope of cash had been filled to help him out, and a couple boxes of clothes so he could have something to wear.

So that's pretty cool, hockey players own.

Usually. That same morning our game was cut short because a few dudes were getting nasty after some sketchy no-calls. :v:

Turned into lots of shouting and dudes taking runs at each other. Eventually the coaches told everyone to get the gently caress off the ice and go home with about 12 minutes left to play. No punches were thrown but the league has a pretty low threshold for shenanigans so once it gets to the point of cussing at refs and shoving after the whistle they cut things off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Snapped my Easton Stealth RS II last night. First shot during warmups.

It was my favorite stick too. :sigh:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Snapped my Easton Stealth RS II last night. First shot during warmups.

It was my favorite stick too. :sigh:

Goondolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

My wife just accepted a job transfer to Seattle from Chicago. We should be out there by the end of August or early september and I'll be looking to play hockey from day 1 so I wouldn't mind meeting up with some Seattle goons at some point.

Welcome to the hood where the traffic sucks, there's no ice actually IN Seattle and the hipsters flock like the salmon of Capistrano.:rimshot:

J/k Except for the part about the ice. And the traffic.

I'm always down for hockeying just realize I suck/am kinda new and if you could help us finally destroy the jerk sandbaging team in our division next season that'd be super helpfully. :v:

Hit me up on PM's or whatever if you have any questions about the area!