Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Will the updated gooniversalis be updated on steam or just posted ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It'd be nice if missionaries had more tasks they could do than just conversion. I feel like either you're for some reason going to need them a lot for 3-4 super-expansionist countries, and otherwise they're used maybe a few times ever. Meanwhile I constantly have diplomats off doing things, colonists colonizing new places, and usually have at least an eye on my merchants for better nodes to visit.

Sending them to neighbors to try and convert another province could be something, but maybe also they could be assigned to work on an owned province to make improvements- and after a certain period you get a bonus development point in the province or something?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

It'd be nice if missionaries had more tasks they could do than just conversion. I feel like either you're for some reason going to need them a lot for 3-4 super-expansionist countries, and otherwise they're used maybe a few times ever. Meanwhile I constantly have diplomats off doing things, colonists colonizing new places, and usually have at least an eye on my merchants for better nodes to visit.

Sending them to neighbors to try and convert another province could be something, but maybe also they could be assigned to work on an owned province to make improvements- and after a certain period you get a bonus development point in the province or something?

Maybe you could have them sent to places to lower the chance of conversion, in case you have a province next to a center of conversion? Perhaps you could send them to a province to create a small buff like increased autonomy loss or possibly increased tolerance of true faith therefore lowering revolt risk. Perhaps a way to slightly boost the Catholic religion, which seems kind of weak compared to the other religions, would be to allow you to use your missionaries as diplomats for certain missions with Catholic theocracies. If they wanted to make missionaries aggressive you could be allowed to send them to other provinces that follow your state religion that are in countries of a different religion, and they would lower tolerance there thus making a revolt more likely. Maybe the Norse religion could be allowed to convert their missionary to an awesome battle-priest that would not count towards their leader limit. Maybe traditionally peaceful religions could park their missionary in another country's capital and it would increase the AE they accumulate.

I think there are actually a lot of cool things they could do with missionaries. They could tailor the missionary abilities to the religion to give them more flavor and to possibly balance out some religions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, using missionaries for sort of counter-missionary work would be cool. Also assign some to the pope to build papal influence faster at a cost or something.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

bdurso posted:

Maybe you could have them sent to places to lower the chance of conversion, in case you have a province next to a center of conversion? Perhaps you could send them to a province to create a small buff like increased autonomy loss or possibly increased tolerance of true faith therefore lowering revolt risk. Perhaps a way to slightly boost the Catholic religion, which seems kind of weak compared to the other religions, would be to allow you to use your missionaries as diplomats for certain missions with Catholic theocracies. If they wanted to make missionaries aggressive you could be allowed to send them to other provinces that follow your state religion that are in countries of a different religion, and they would lower tolerance there thus making a revolt more likely. Maybe the Norse religion could be allowed to convert their missionary to an awesome battle-priest that would not count towards their leader limit. Maybe traditionally peaceful religions could park their missionary in another country's capital and it would increase the AE they accumulate.

I think there are actually a lot of cool things they could do with missionaries. They could tailor the missionary abilities to the religion to give them more flavor and to possibly balance out some religions.

All reasonable ideas.

On the one hand I wouldn't mind seeing Catholicism be a little more interesting for people who don't have 4-5 cardinals, I think the big bonus is that you usually end up with a lot of enemies in Europe if you convert. In my meager number of playthoughs, you usually get England, a big-minor in the HRE and a nobody becoming the centers of faith for Protestantism, and 3 nobodies for Reformed centers of faith. In the end I feel like you always end up with France, Spain, Sweden, Some Italian power, Austria and Poland/Lith just naturally pissed at you, and the bonuses you get from the more dynamic christian religions counter that out.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, using missionaries for sort of counter-missionary work would be cool. Also assign some to the pope to build papal influence faster at a cost or something.

I think missionaries actually have an upkeep cost associated with them when they are active already, but I imagine that cost could be adjusted based on how useful the task at hand is deemed to be by the developers.

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s

Elman posted:

A world conquest? Seems like you're in a good position to go for it :v:

I'll try, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I also let Portugal, Spain and England colonize.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

bdurso posted:

I think missionaries actually have an upkeep cost associated with them when they are active already, but I imagine that cost could be adjusted based on how useful the task at hand is deemed to be by the developers.

I kind of think if they have a number of minor tasks to do, then I'd almost like them to be free like diplomats and merchants- the cost being the opportunity cost that they're not doing something else.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I don't think I've ever seen a base figure for unrest before. Certainly nothing as high as this. At one point it was at +26 base. I don't know where it came from or why it's going down.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

TTBF posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a base figure for unrest before. Certainly nothing as high as this. At one point it was at +26 base. I don't know where it came from or why it's going down.

Base unrest is any unrest added through an event. It decays just like separatism. If it was like that when you got it, then the previous owner had accepted an event choice that added that unrest to the province.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

TTBF posted:

Dahomey and Oyo have cores on that province, start Animist, and that province is Sunni. Maybe they tried to convert it and kept getting that one event where your missionary screws up and you get base unrest?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So this custom AI in Sicily has carved out a vast north african empire, none of it distant overseas. This "Palermo" country now has most of southern Italy, it's home island of Sicily, and half of north africa all sitting at 0% automony. Has something gone wrong or if your capital is close enough to North Africa you can count both europe and africa as home/connected to capital?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Baronjutter posted:

So this custom AI in Sicily has carved out a vast north african empire, none of it distant overseas. This "Palermo" country now has most of southern Italy, it's home island of Sicily, and half of north africa all sitting at 0% automony. Has something gone wrong or if your capital is close enough to North Africa you can count both europe and africa as home/connected to capital?

Correct, anything on another continent that is within a certain range of your capital does not count as distant overseas. However, provinces outside of that range -- even ones that connect to other provinces inside it -- will count as distant overseas, so there's a limit as to how far they can go before they hit the penalties.

The wiki has that range as 150 units, which isn't enormous

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Everything to do with continents in EU4 sucks. I just wanted to form Arabia as Karaman, but the jerks wouldn't let me move capital (to culture shift) since Anatolia is classed as Europe :mad:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wuet88 posted:

I'll try, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I also let Portugal, Spain and England colonize.

Vassalize those 3, also vassalize a bunch of electors to become Emperor and revoke the Privilegia.

Not like I've ever done it but I think that's the way to do it :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What's this "already called into active wars"? I can't call my ally in my war against venice.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

double nine posted:

What's this "already called into active wars"? I can't call my ally in my war against venice.

They're at war with someone else, I'd assume?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RabidWeasel posted:

Everything to do with continents in EU4 sucks. I just wanted to form Arabia as Karaman, but the jerks wouldn't let me move capital (to culture shift) since Anatolia is classed as Europe :mad:

They should absolutely let you move capital between continents when you have a land bridge.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

They're at war with someone else, I'd assume?

I don't know what wires got crossed, but ragequitting-reloading fixed it. I can now call them in despite literally no time having passed. I don't even know.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Being unable to peace someone for years because they have a large, landlocked ally you can't get military access to is the worst thing. There should really be some kind of modifier where allies will be more willing to accept a white peace if they haven't actually been involved in the fighting at all.

I mean, the fact that the AI will happily walk over half a continent to come beat you up is bad but at least now if they do that you can go sit on their capital and poop on them and take all their money.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I feel like regency countries need to either give you a big monarch point boost, or let you spend a bunch of resources to declare a war (kinda like the parliament system). As it is, they're just boring and there's no upside.

Elman fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 18, 2015

Gitro
May 29, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Being unable to peace someone for years because they have a large, landlocked ally you can't get military access to is the worst thing. There should really be some kind of modifier where allies will be more willing to accept a white peace if they haven't actually been involved in the fighting at all.

I mean, the fact that the AI will happily walk over half a continent to come beat you up is bad but at least now if they do that you can go sit on their capital and poop on them and take all their money.

A nice + to peace desire for 'can't reach ally' would be lovely. It doesn't even have to be a large neighbour, I was trying to annex OPM Ragusa as the Ottos and 3 province Tuscany was called in. As long as they were in I only had 23% warscore from occupying Ragusa. I had Tuscany fully blockaded, they couldn't get military access and even if they could I doubt their entire forcelimit would be enough to take one of my armies, but thanks to the massive length of war modifier they had no intention of getting out of a war they couldn't do anything in. All they were doing was sitting and accumulating war exhaustion while I let the warscore tick up, I don't think they even made peace with me before I got enough to make Ragusa part of Serbia. The only thing they achieved was being a nuisance and risking invasion from a way bigger army.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Some sort of "Not invested in war" that starts ticking up after a year of no combat from the participant would be nice. They'd have to be completely unoccupied and not occupying anything though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In my Ternate game I invaded a Muslim country in south east Asia and they brought in the defender of the faith, a large nation in northern India (go ahead and ask what their religious unity was like :v:'). They couldn't reach me at all because of Bengal and Dehliblocking them from reaching the rest of the continent and both were their rivals so they couldn't get military access. Completely pointless.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TTBF posted:

Some sort of "Not invested in war" that starts ticking up after a year of no combat from the participant would be nice. They'd have to be completely unoccupied and not occupying anything though.

Maybe a modifier if they have 0% warscore that makes a non-war leader more likely to white peace out?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gitro posted:

A nice + to peace desire for 'can't reach ally' would be lovely. It doesn't even have to be a large neighbour, I was trying to annex OPM Ragusa as the Ottos and 3 province Tuscany was called in. As long as they were in I only had 23% warscore from occupying Ragusa. I had Tuscany fully blockaded, they couldn't get military access and even if they could I doubt their entire forcelimit would be enough to take one of my armies, but thanks to the massive length of war modifier they had no intention of getting out of a war they couldn't do anything in. All they were doing was sitting and accumulating war exhaustion while I let the warscore tick up, I don't think they even made peace with me before I got enough to make Ragusa part of Serbia. The only thing they achieved was being a nuisance and risking invasion from a way bigger army.

Tuscany trolled you and made you cry on the internet. They won.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Elman posted:

I feel like regency countries need to either give you a big monarch point boost, or let you spend a bunch of resources to call a war (kinda like the parliament system). As it is, they're just boring and there's no upside.

Well I don't think there should be an upside to regency, you're supposed to be worried about it and tying yourself to your idiot neighbors in royal marriages to avoid it as often as possible.

I'd agree it's pretty boring though when it does happen, it'd be interesting if some opportunities/decisions came up before/during a regency that made it possible to avoid/shorten it by taking risks (i.e. killing off your current heir to replace them with another, possibly switching to a republic, something something I'm not a big expert on dynastic politics)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Tuscany trolled you and made you cry on the internet. They won.

The internet did not exist in 1600, Knuc.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Just want to thank you guys for the trading tips.

After moving my trade port (I didnt even knew that was possible) from Alexandria to Gulf of Aden, which is mostly under my control, and switching all my boats and merchants to steer trade to me along all the way from Malacca to Aden, my trade income literally doubled. Also: "the trade game is about controlling the node where you collect and then steering all you can there" was the most simple and precise explanation of the EU4 trade system Ive ever got and now I think I finally understand it (enough to make a buck, at least), thanks for the poster who said that.

I ended up getting Maritime as my 3rd idea, because I need a stronger navy and a bigger naval force limit to protect my coast and squeeze more money out of my trading, while I go on colonizing and conquering small nations in far Asia (and trying to make friends with the bigger ones).

Its 1560 and I'm seeing portuguese boats around the arabian penninsula, so they are finally coming. But by the time they get to far Asia, my presence there will be pretty strong already, I hope. I already own a lot of provinces in Malacca and The Mollucas areas. Im a bit worried that Im lagging behind in tech compared to the europeans (Portugal is 12-13-12, Im 10-10-11), but Im my own region Im among the most advanced.

I also need a bigger army to protect my homeland from Ethiopia and the Ottomans, and maybe spent some in development and buildings.

So many things to manage, some many possibilities. This game owns.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

What?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

@realkingoffrance peasants are revolting again, what a joke #monarchproblems

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddammit, I went and turned back time in my Holland game after thinking "oh, pretty sure more money will be more useful than ADM points here in the Low Countries since I'll probably have to vassalize my neighbors thanks to the HRE". Years later, I've yet to get a single vassal but sunk a lot of points into coring places like Friesland and poo poo. And all this time the Emperor didn't care because he was Austria and was my bud during the Independence War :doh:

And I went and did the mistake of taking Exploration as my second Idea group again despite the fact that I'm never beating Portugal and Castille to the Ivory Coast, and might as well spend those points on something that'll help the unification of the Netherlands before colonial range catches up :argh:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I feel bad for AI Hungary. It seems like they're programmed to try and get into as many bad alliances as possible and just be cannon fodder for everyone. I keep trying to give them money and hoping they'll pick themselves up...but I guess they just like jerks over nice guys :sigh:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Jazerus posted:

@realkingoffrance peasants are revolting again, what a joke #monarchproblems

For those that missed April 1st.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 18, 2015

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

i legitimately want this as an actual feature

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It'd be way more useful than the message log at present.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Elman posted:

I feel like regency countries need to either give you a big monarch point boost, or let you spend a bunch of resources to declare a war (kinda like the parliament system). As it is, they're just boring and there's no upside.
Or they could make not war fun too

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 18, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Scotland starts in a horrible position now that England and France don't start at war. England's more likely to see that you're both dirt poor and have a tiny army and declare war on you pretty fast. How the hell do you survive against England long enough to actually turn a monthly profit? You start the game with two forts and losing 2.50 a month!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Scotland starts in a horrible position now that England and France don't start at war. England's more likely to see that you're both dirt poor and have a tiny army and declare war on you pretty fast. How the hell do you survive against England long enough to actually turn a monthly profit? You start the game with two forts and losing 2.50 a month!

Deleting navies and/or forts usually helps.

Unrelated: Khmer is a pretty fun start, you can immediately shift to Hinduism and show all the goddamn Buddhists why they got kicked out of India. They have a pretty decent mix of military and naval ideas and none of them are really bad.

You can stack the Buddhist and Hindu +2% conversion decisions which makes it easy to spread the faith and your starting ruler is old as gently caress so you have an ok chance of getting the "ganga" event which lets you give your successor +2 admin skill, if you choose the correct god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Turn off maintenance, delete carracks & cogs, problem solved. Not like boats will do you any good until you've dealt with England anyways.

• Locked thread