Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Duke Chin posted:

Traffic, no ice actually IN Seattle and hipsters.

So basically same as Chicago but without an NHL team (so far), more mountains and fewer people shooting one another. I will definitely reach out when I get there. We should be in Seattle by the end of August.

We're road tripping it from Chicago. All of our stuff will be shipped on a truck but my gear will come with so that I can play right away. I will probably play the 2nd day I'm there if I can find a drop in session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

We're road tripping it from Chicago.

If you have the time, futz around in Montana for a day or two. Bozeman or Missoula both have fun stuff to do.. decent food, lots of mountains get lost in. You'll need the relaxation to prepare for the drive from Coeur d'Alene to Ellensburg. Eastern Washington is the most boring, agonizing drive in the US. Even worse than the cornfields of the midwest.

Assuming you want to drive ~8 hours a day, Fargo or Sioux Falls are also good places to stop for a sleep. The I-94 route is like 30 miles shorter, the I-90 route has better scenery and less truck traffic. If you leave Chicago around 8/9am and decide to drive through Minneapolis you'll hit the city right around rush hour, which kind of blows. :v:

Billings is a good place to stop for a meal.. and not much else.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We're planning on taking the 90 route with stops at the Badlands, Yellowstone, and stopping in Missoula since my step brother lives there. We'll probably stay with him for a little while and then power through eastern washington.

My wife's company is paying for the whole thing (all gas, meals, hotels, expenses etc) so I'm not terribly concerned with taking the most efficient route or saving $$$ here or there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Read the fine print.. relocation compensation is treated as income for tax purposes. IRS gonna come calling next April. :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

So basically same as Chicago but without an NHL team (so far), more mountains and fewer people shooting one another. I will definitely reach out when I get there. We should be in Seattle by the end of August.

We're road tripping it from Chicago. All of our stuff will be shipped on a truck but my gear will come with so that I can play right away. I will probably play the 2nd day I'm there if I can find a drop in session.

We still like to shoot folk out here now and then but yeah we're (from the sounds of it) magnitudes less than you Chicagoans. One note: If you are doing the Ryder/U-Haul thing LOCK THAT TRUCK UP AS HARD AS POSSIBLE, UNLOAD QUICK and keep an eye on it. There's been many, MANY of those trucks stolen around here from all the new folk moving in. It straight up for reals happened to a goon and his wife that relocated here, I wanna say, last year? Year before last? And they didn't hear anything back until a year later. Hopefully it sounds like you're doing the movers-with-a-big-rear end-truck thing, though?

e: vvvvvvvvvvv :cheers: I'm sure the weather will turn back to poo poo just in time for your arrival. hah

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 21, 2015

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

Read the fine print.. relocation compensation is treated as income for tax purposes. IRS gonna come calling next April. :v:

It's all tax assisted by her company.

And yes movers are taking all our poo poo so we don't have to. We're literally just driving our car so that will be nice.

Verman fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 21, 2015

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Snapped my Easton Stealth RS II last night. First shot during warmups.

It was my favorite stick too. :sigh:
:negative:

I still have one of my RSII's left that I will be very, very sad when it breaks because it's my second favorite stick of all time behind the S19 I used to have.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I snapped my big Sherwood Lidstrom-curve D stick trying to slam a one timer from the point. Blade went flying to the net, and I almost javelin'd the ref tossing it aside. Later the ref tossed the broken blade at me on the bench and I got a fiberglass splinter in my thumb, so even-steven. Gonna miss that stick, the length made up for a lot of my shot due to pure leverage. The other two long sticks I have (CCM Bergeron and Thornton curves) feel like the blades aren't snapping through with the shot, and I just miff the release and it goes sailing wide, like I'm slicing a golf shot. Gonna have to go back to the shorter Easton Mako Getzlaf, and try to remember how to bend my knees to make a shot.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

RC Cola posted:

I just bought some rollerblades. I haven't skated since I was young someone tell me how to not die

Just don't try to do a hockey stop like you would do on ice skates.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Loqieu posted:

Or try it once so you never forget to never do it again

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I did that my first time playing roller. Didn't think about it, hosed my knee up which can hurt till this day. That was about 15 years ago now.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Loqieu posted:

Literally the first thing I did. It hurt.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What exactly happens, do you feet just slide out from under you?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Vargatron posted:

What exactly happens, do you feet just slide out from under you?

Your wheels tend to grip, and your body weight wants to keep going. Goodbye knees and ankles.

Imagine an on ice hockey stop without any glide. You're essentially doing the same thing as catching an edge.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hardly noticed any difference in stopping between roller and ice, was it just the surface I was playing on? It was like...ice court or something.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

bewbies posted:

I hardly noticed any difference in stopping between roller and ice, was it just the surface I was playing on? It was like...ice court or something.

SportCourt(tm)

I also have no problem stopping the same way between both ice and roller. I drag my back lag a bit too, but mostly ice hockey style stops.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

For me the big difference is how heavy roller blades are. Feel like you're wearing cement shoes.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Also don't forget to only bend at the waist :eng101:

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

The plus side is because of the wide stance and leverage required for stopping on roller, most times people don't have the space to do it during play. So you can just keep skating through instead and try to circle around.

I've seen guys who are pretty good at it do it on hardwood and asphalt, but they are the exception. No one expects you to do it, really.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Duke Chin posted:

Welcome to the hood where the traffic sucks, there's no ice actually IN Seattle and the hipsters flock like the salmon of Capistrano.:rimshot:

J/k Except for the part about the ice. And the traffic.

I'm always down for hockeying just realize I suck/am kinda new and if you could help us finally destroy the jerk sandbaging team in our division next season that'd be super helpfully. :v:

Hit me up on PM's or whatever if you have any questions about the area!

Oh man, I'll drive down for that.

Although how bad is suck/kinda new compared to the rest of your team, is it a complete beginner league? Cause then I wont cause that wouldn't be nice.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

D C posted:

Although how bad is suck/kinda new compared to the rest of your team, is it a complete beginner league? Cause then I wont cause that wouldn't be nice.

Pick me up along the way dude

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I got to be sellouts's linemate tonight :3:

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

Green jersey?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think you mean the Christmas socks (yes)

And it owned

sellouts fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 22, 2015

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yup

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

Weird... I just started playing after not playing a few years and there are goons at my local rink!

I was the guy with the half shield and glasses.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I am bad with faces/skaters until I get a few sessions in :( I was also mostly watching my feet or my water bottle. Which team were you on?

Took me like 60 of the 90 minutes to find my feet, goddamn.
  • Haven't skated in like 3 months.
  • In that time I've barely worked out and have been eating like poo poo because I was leaving a place with food I loved/coming to a new place with a lot of great restaurants.
  • I'm used to 60 minute ice-times with a few dudes who stay out and float for 5-6 minutes so you sometimes sit and get a breather.
  • Usually play defense where I can coast and be lazy a lot more often.
  • Warmest rink ever.
  • Grossly out of shape.
I probably won't be around again for a bit (long story) but I'll bring a beer for you next time.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

D C posted:

doctor 7 posted:

Hah doooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiit :unsmigghh: So It's Division 8 with two teams of complete beginners, a 3rd team ½ full of beginners and ½ who play in div 6... ...and then there's these guys

ignore my editorializing

...their only loss being a one goal game against the only higher-division opponent they've played all season and most likely going to win-out looking at their remaining schedule. hah They're just pretty much zero fun to play against anymore due to a combination of just being waaaaay better (okay, so, yeah I'm jealous shaddup) and they have a couple people on their team who are just massive crybabies who flop for penalties pretty regularly (while booing/chirping when our goalie pulled his groin). I'm all for playing better teams to get better but every game has been a god drat bloodbath. :v:

Ahh well, hockey is still fun as gently caress and I'm gonna park my slow rear end in Div 8 again against these guys for fall season. :toot:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KnightProjekt posted:

Weird... I just started playing after not playing a few years and there are goons at my local rink!

I was the guy with the half shield and glasses.

White jersey and tall? Nice!

So AceThomas and Nitramstr both sometimes skate at that skate, Phil the goalie is on here apparently as well. There are a few of us.

Did I hear you joined an aluminum team? I hope not you're too good for that level

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I wish there were more [or more vocal] goons at Sharks Ice so we could have these goonmeetesque drop ins.

e: thinking on it, given the demographics of hockey players in the Bay Area, there are probably a bunch of goons who play there but haven't wandered into this thread/subforum.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Habibi posted:

e: thinking on it, given the demographics of hockey players in the Bay Area, there are probably a bunch of goons who play there but haven't wandered into this thread/subforum.

Just keep an eye out for the cheetos dust, gives 'em away every time.

Maybe you should put JeffK on a jersey, see who it pulls out of the crowd.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

D C posted:

Duke Chin posted:

Hah doooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiit :unsmigghh:

doctor 7 posted:

We will be in Seattle Aug 17th. We should get something going shortly after, something like a drop in session etc.

Also at some point, I'm going to need to go to a Thunderbirds/Totems/Silvertips game when the season starts up ...

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hockey hangover, how I've missed you.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

Maybe you should put JeffK on a jersey, see who it pulls out of the crowd.

Hmmmm.....

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So this kid skated with us for a couple of years when he was 15-16. He wasn't great, but he was cool and he got us free ice so we went with it. He went off last year to play junior B and actually got picked up by the USHL for this upcoming year. We heard this and were all happy but were confused as he was not particularly good.

So anyway, he skated with us last night and...holy poo poo. He's like 6'4 230 (at age 18, I think), was the fastest player on the ice, and now has one of the best shots I've ever seen. It is crazy to think about where he was a year ago versus now, and where he's going to be in a couple of years. Meanwhile we're all...either about the same...or worse.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

We won a game! We're now 1-7!

Also, sellouts, did you find your Eagle glove palms to be a touch slippery? I literally lost the handle of my stick a couple of times last night, and I'm wondering if it's the goat palms or just my tackimac grip being worn down. I pretty much wore all the texture off of it. There might've been a moisture issue too.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 22, 2015

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Duke Chin posted:

Hah doooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiit :unsmigghh: So It's Division 8 with two teams of complete beginners, a 3rd team ½ full of beginners and ½ who play in div 6... ...and then there's these guys

Well.. let me know.

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar

Habibi posted:

I wish there were more [or more vocal] goons at Sharks Ice so we could have these goonmeetesque drop ins.

I should probably go to drop ins! I never really have time, due to being on a stupid amount of teams this season. (I need to learn how to say "no". :( )

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

If Doctor_Butts doesn't flake out, I'm playing on his team tonight.

Don't flake out Doctor Butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
Any of you guys playing in Massachusetts? I see a lot of people here on the west coast, wondering if anyone here is close to my neck of the woods.