Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

sellouts posted:

White jersey and tall? Nice!

So AceThomas and Nitramstr both sometimes skate at that skate, Phil the goalie is on here apparently as well. There are a few of us.

Did I hear you joined an aluminum team? I hope not you're too good for that level

Yea that was me.

I believe it's a copper team(sharknado). When I joined, I did not know the division was that low and I am surprised they let me even play. Next season I definitely want to move up to upper bronze or silver, just need to find a team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyduck posted:

Also, sellouts, did you find your Eagle glove palms to be a touch slippery? I literally lost the handle of my stick a couple of times last night, and I'm wondering if it's the goat palms or just my tackimac grip being worn down. I pretty much wore all the texture off of it. There might've been a moisture issue too.

I can't say that I did. I switch between grip and not depending on the stick. Usually no grip as of lat just due to what sticks I am working through.

KnightProjekt posted:

Yea that was me.

I believe it's a copper team(sharknado). When I joined, I did not know the division was that low and I am surprised they let me even play. Next season I definitely want to move up to upper bronze or silver, just need to find a team.

Ugh, both of my teams are overfilled with people. Wish I could help you out.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 22, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hockles posted:

If Doctor_Butts doesn't flake out, I'm playing on his team tonight.

Don't flake out Doctor Butts.

I only had a couple hours of sleep. I will be slower and fall more because I will be tired as poo poo and it might be better if I don't show up.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
doctor butts is definitely flaking out, hockles

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Yeah that's a preflake announcement if I've ever heard one.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't understand how there are so many West Coast Americans and so few Canadians in this, the hockey thread. Seriously what the hell.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

We will be in Seattle Aug 17th. We should get something going shortly after, something like a drop in session etc.

Also at some point, I'm going to need to go to a Thunderbirds/Totems/Silvertips game when the season starts up ...

There's drop ins on Wednesdays at the closest-to-seattle ice but they're all waaaaaaaay better than me - still fun though. I believe there's a drop in on Friday evenings as well that Tank44 tried to get me on - haven't heard from them though, plus that is (most times) usually kind of a hard time for me to make it to. There's definitely more than just those two around here, though - I just haven't hit any of them up yet. But there's plenty of hockey to be had!

And yeah, me and my gf are always down for T-Birds games. I've still never been up to Everett for a silvertips sporting match excursion and I've been here drat near 10 years. hah

D C posted:

Well.. let me know.

2 weeks out from playoffs and I'm sure we'll get bounced in the 1st round. Dunno when fall season starts yet. But it'd be cool to just hockey up with random folk regardless. :hfive:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

prom candy posted:

I don't understand how there are so many West Coast Americans and so few Canadians in this, the hockey thread. Seriously what the hell.

It's me and one guy apparently :canada:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

prom candy posted:

All the :canada: goons are in the goalie thread...?

friggin' weirdos. :v:

e:

Doctor Butts posted:

I only had a couple hours of sleep. I will be slower and fall more because I will be tired as poo poo and it might be better if I don't show up.

Awww c'mon butts - I was awake for 30-32 hours straight flying back from hawaii, got my connection delayed 16 hours, landed, ate some food, and still went and played my game an hour later. (yeah we lost so what)

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 23, 2015

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

prom candy posted:

Hi I'm a Canadian on the West Coast of America.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Maddot_66 posted:

Any of you guys playing in Massachusetts? I see a lot of people here on the west coast, wondering if anyone here is close to my neck of the woods.

Yeah bro. I recently moved to Plymouth but have been working on the Cape so I stayed with the team/league I have been in down in Orleans for the last like 7 years or so. I haven't played around here yet, I've been checking stinky socks here and there but haven't made the commitment to their no commitment hockey just yet. Every time I think I'm going to sign up its usually too last minute and full but I still plan on jumping in on some stinky socks games sometime soon to try it out.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

Probably most Canadians played as kids and just sort of stop later in life I think. At least that is my experience when I get into a conversation about it. Always "I used to play but trailed off around 15/16." It seems a lot of people in this thread have learned as adults.

Where I (used) live when I started learning as an adult there aren't tons of immigrants either. However I've noticed a lot of the learn to play as an adult stuff seems to be in higher immigrant areas, at least locally. So people come to Canada, see the sport and want to try it because they never had a chance as a kid either because they grew up in another country or (like me) their parents were immigrants and they never really drove their kids into the sport of hockey (my dad had me play soccer and man it was boring and I didn't like it).

Where I live now is closer to Surrey, Langley, Burnaby, etc. and there adult learn to play poo poo there due to population density.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

e:

Awww c'mon butts - I was awake for 30-32 hours straight flying back from hawaii, got my connection delayed 16 hours, landed, ate some food, and still went and played my game an hour later. (yeah we lost so what)

flake status: totally out

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
^^^ lazy buttes :v:

doctor 7 posted:

Probably most Canadians played as kids and just sort of stop later in life I think. At least that is my experience when I get into a conversation about it. Always "I used to play but trailed off around 15/16." It seems a lot of people in this thread have learned as adults.

That makes sense - my old rear end hometown didn't have any ice until I was in my late teens or so, and didn't have any hockey-sized ice until I was about 21-23 or so. :( If you wanted to hockey you had to go north or waaaaaaaaaaay south.

Flash forward about 12-15 years and I remember flying back in to my hometown, getting picked up by my folks and driving back through town and seeing one of those fundraiser car washes on the side of the road. Yeah, it was for my old high school... for their ice hockey team. :argh: God drat I wish I could have / should have started earlier.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Maddot_66 posted:

Any of you guys playing in Massachusetts? I see a lot of people here on the west coast, wondering if anyone here is close to my neck of the woods.

There are a couple of us a bit northeast of bigbillystyle, in the Foxboro/Canton/Quincy area

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Habibi posted:

I wish there were more [or more vocal] goons at Sharks Ice so we could have these goonmeetesque drop ins.

e: thinking on it, given the demographics of hockey players in the Bay Area, there are probably a bunch of goons who play there but haven't wandered into this thread/subforum.

The impression I get is that most of the people who play at Sharks Ice are busy playing 2-5 games/night and don't have a lot of time leftover for internet. I feel like the odd person out only being half-time on one team.

Duke Chin posted:

That makes sense - my old rear end hometown didn't have any ice until I was in my late teens or so, and didn't have any hockey-sized ice until I was about 21-23 or so. :( If you wanted to hockey you had to go north or waaaaaaaaaaay south.

Flash forward about 12-15 years and I remember flying back in to my hometown, getting picked up by my folks and driving back through town and seeing one of those fundraiser car washes on the side of the road. Yeah, it was for my old high school... for their ice hockey team. :argh: God drat I wish I could have / should have started earlier.

Yeah, that's basically what happened to me, there was even a high school girls team in my hometown for a while maybe 10 years after I moved away. I did grow up skating on the river and the occasional flooded baseball diamond but it was really just useless puttering around.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

Unless you are playing in an in-house league, it's also drat expensive to play as kids in a competitive travel league. I only played a year in midgets before I aged out, but I remember living on ramen and hot dogs to just afford playing.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

KnightProjekt posted:

Unless you are playing in an in-house league, it's also drat expensive to play as kids in a competitive travel league. I only played a year in midgets before I aged out, but I remember living on ramen and hot dogs to just afford playing.

Totally.

Plus growing up as a kid you gotta buy new pads as you get older. I justified myself splurging on new (clearance) top line gear by saying "you'll never need to buy any of this again."

Two months later I'm 3 weeks finished a diet and have bought new hockey pants because my waist has gone down an inch.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah this resumed beer intake, of which I pretty much curtailed totally around age 34 until I started playing, is going to have the exact opposite effect on me. But man it just tastes extra-better-more-good again after a game. :cheers:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So it turns out playing wing is a lot of fun. I was enjoying defense but man wing is a rush. We won 5-1 tonight against a team that beat us 7-2 earlier in the season, feels good!

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I would totally put you guys up for free in my living room if you wanted to come to L.A. to play hockey, you would just have to bring lots of beer. I've got a couch, a love seat, and a blow up doll *ahem* mattress.

We already have half a team of locals in the south bay.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
My friend that played ice hockey as a kid played goalie. All that equipment plus the nearest ice rink being over 45 minutes away must have cost his parents some decent money. But hey, at least I got to take shots at him in his driveway on roller skates when we were kids.

I just started doing stuff for the third level of the figure skating basic stuff for my local rink. Going to request my shifts off early on Sundays so I can start hockey skate classes and the learn to play stuff for the fall. I am super excited, played so much roller hockey as a kid, it will be fun to do something as an adult.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I started playing when I was young, Canadian but grew up in LA. I dont plan on stopping until I physically cant play anymore.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

D C posted:

I started playing when I was young, Canadian but grew up in LA. I dont plan on stopping until I physically cant play anymore.

Okay so that explains the Canadian -> Kings Fan thing I guess.

...i guess.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Duke Chin posted:

Okay so that explains the Canadian -> Kings Fan thing I guess.

...i guess.

I'm no Kings fan but Drew Doughty is a loving national treasure.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Lots of triangles posted:

I should probably go to drop ins! I never really have time, due to being on a stupid amount of teams this season. (I need to learn how to say "no". :( )

How many are you on now?

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar

Habibi posted:

How many are you on now?

Four full time, plus subbing around... definitely cutting back next season though.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

The impression I get is that most of the people who play at Sharks Ice are busy playing 2-5 games/night and don't have a lot of time leftover for internet.

Basically this is me.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

I don't think we cater either to the hardcore mancrush statistical tryhard of youth hockey or the dejected sorrow-lined dream husk of adulthood that hockey playing Canadians look for. We're the happy-ish median.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

People who have been playing since they were a toddler and are so used to hockey being part of their lives and surrounding them at almost all times also don't generally sperg out over their gear or how the last game went and are so far in they don't get those big "AHA! I DID IT!" improvement moments.

Basically your average Canadian beer leaguer is too :effort: about the game after so many years.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

what

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
God, can't you guys just enjoy anything up there?!?!?

:v:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sorry.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

*Sore-ey.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Pleads posted:

People who have been playing since they were a toddler and are so used to hockey being part of their lives and surrounding them at almost all times also don't generally sperg out over their gear or how the last game went and are so far in they don't get those big "AHA! I DID IT!" improvement moments.

Basically your average Canadian beer leaguer is too :effort: about the game after so many years.

I've been playing for a good 25+ years and I still learn something new here and there. I usually learn the hard way that my body can't do X,Y or Z anymore but that is still learning something.

I did learn an interesting part of the offside rule last night though. Our team dumped the puck in creating a delayed offside. That dump in was not on net, however, a player from the opposing team deflected the dump in on net and right passed their goalie. We all thought that was a goal for sure. Refs said no, we argued that 1. our guy had tagged up before it went in and 2. it wasn't a direct shot on net and put in by the other team so it should count. I looked it up later and found basically that exact situation played out on nhlofficials.com

nhlofficials.com posted:

If the puck is shot into the attacking zone creating a delayed off-side, the play shall be allowed to continue under normal clearing-the-zone rules. Should the puck, as a result of this shot, enter the defending team’s goal, either directly or off the goalkeeper, a player, the boards, the glass, a piece of equipment or an official on the ice, the goal shall be disallowed as the original shot was off-side. The fact that the attacking team may have cleared the zone prior to the puck entering the goal has no bearing on this ruling. In this situation, the next face-off will be conducted at the closest face-off spot in the neutral zone that gives the offending team the least amount of territorial advantage. Rule 83.4

Basically because it was a deflection the goal didn't count. If they guy caught the dump in and then made an errant pass or mishandled it or something and it went in while the delayed offside was in effect then it would have counted.

I also learned our rink got a new Zamboni! How exciting since the last one was getting pretty tired and breaking down like once a month. It means we won't get the nostalgia of smelling the old gas Zamboni they have as a backup once a month but that is probably a good thing. A quarter century under my belt and still learning.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A few weeks ago we had a ref blow the play dead when we had a delayed offsides and one of our defensemen slapped the puck into the zone for a shot on goal.

I didn't see how that's different from a normal offsides dump-in but the rulebook does mention that any pass or shot that generates an offside play will be whistled.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

we had a ref last night not notice that we were cycling the puck for 40 seconds with a pulled goalie/extra attacker and suddenly blow the play dead for too many men.

they called timeout, changed lines, won face-off and dumped the puck into the empty net. great job good effort

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I live in probably one of the biggest hockey hot spots in the world (Southern Ontario) and my rookie league is pretty much filled with people like me: natural born Canadians who just didn't pick up the sport until they were older. I think so many people are playing hockey here that you can find any level of play just about anywhere. There are 3 separate rookie divisions, plus other rookie leagues, and then tons of regular leagues that go down to D or E. There's a LOT of hockey happening here and I think a lot of people who are having all those "holy crap I just did backwards crossovers!" moments in their 20s and 30s.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have the dubious honor of representing South Carolina in this thread... I'm native though. :911:

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Vargatron posted:

I have the dubious honor of representing South Carolina in this thread... I'm native though. :911:

Me and another guy (forgot his username) are representing the frozen North (Carolina)!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

prom candy posted:

I think a lot of people who are having all those "holy crap I just did backwards crossovers!" moments in their 20s and 30s.

It took me til I was 38. :smug: Also, after almost 4 hours of stick'n'puck today I can finally loving do forward-to-backward mohawks with excellent comfort L-R-L and relative comfort, but just needs more practice, R-L-R. Hooray for goal-setting and meeting-said-goal and gently caress doing the ol' friction spin anymore. :toot: What's funny is I can do the mohawks OUT of backwards skating on both sides no problem for years. Just getting IN to backwards was always "okay, you're like 5'11" and the ice hurts when you fall down so don't fall down" and then I'd gently caress up. Full pads owns I don't feel a god drat thing.

My feet, however, after being jammed in those poo poo rear end vapors all afternoon hurt like they've never hurt before right dead center in my foot. God daaaaaaaaaamn.