Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i can prevent an assassination if anyone needs that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

JakeP posted:

also ##vote kleedrac

Hold up on that a moment, JakeP. Look at WWM's exit post, emphasis mine:

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

I really wish I had been able to play this longer, oh well, teach me to white knight a townie.

##vote wwm

See you in hell! :v:

Now, he was leaving in a huff, doing the self-vote to end the day thing. That means that nothing in the post was done without thought, and unless WWM just hates the scum team completely he'd do everything he could to not implicate his scumbros. In this case, there's no reason to make the comment unless he wants town attention on Kleedrac. It feels like a red herring, an attempt to get a mislynch on Kleedrac today.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

JakeP posted:

No, we need to cause one. JFK needs to die for the greater good.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Byers2142 posted:

Like I said, I'll fix it later today. I just don't want to flip it if someone needs one of those spots it flipped patched instead, so I'm giving people time to check in and patch, before I just flip the linchpin.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

You have made me want to post less, not more.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Byers2142 posted:

ya i cant do that.

Also I think the WWM thing could be a double fake designed to make people think exactly what you just thought

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

drat it, I posted again!

Preemptive edit: And again! gently caress!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I thought i was lurking this game :shrug:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

I just replaced in yesterday, I get a pass. :colbert:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Byers2142 posted:

Now, he was leaving in a huff, doing the self-vote to end the day thing. That means that nothing in the post was done without thought, and unless WWM just hates the scum team completely he'd do everything he could to not implicate his scumbros. In this case, there's no reason to make the comment unless he wants town attention on Kleedrac. It feels like a red herring, an attempt to get a mislynch on Kleedrac today.

JakeP posted:

Also I think the WWM thing could be a double fake designed to make people think exactly what you just thought

Ok, serious post time: I don't think there's any real merit to this discussion. It could be either. We just need to treat Kleedrac with the same suspicion we would if none of that had happened.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Byers2142 posted:

Hold up on that a moment, JakeP. Look at WWM's exit post, emphasis mine:

I agree with this.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

JakeP posted:

ya i cant do that.

No offense to him, but he didn't seem that nuanced. His play seemed designed around having a singular move he makes, like the fakeclaim, but not thinking through to deeper levels of deception.

Either way, I'd like to look at other people for today beyond piling on Kleedrac to start. Mithross, for instance, is pinging me on a reread.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

JakeP posted:

If you could keep JFK alive that'd be pretty sweet

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Mithross posted:

Ok, serious post time: I don't think there's any real merit to this discussion. It could be either. We just need to treat Kleedrac with the same suspicion we would if none of that had happened.

What if I told you I thought you were scummy mcscumerson and tried to set this up with WWM at the end of yesterday?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

He... he is alive. Like, right now.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Mithross posted:

He... he is alive. Like, right now.

gently caress not JFK I meant Lincoln

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

No, if you save Lincoln without the time helaing cards, you just increase Paradox.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

Oh, I need that to happen anyway! But if nobody has the patch, I don't want to save him yet.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Don't they need 13 paradoxes to win like that? It seems odd to be worried about that so early when there's only 3 and still having time healing patches or whatever

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Mithross posted:

Oh, I need that to happen anyway! But if nobody has the patch, I don't want to save him yet.

Yeah actually this, I am apparently stupid and still don't understand this game fully. I need Lincoln to live and someone to patch in President King winning in 1974, not just Lincoln living

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

Don't they need 13 paradoxes to win like that? It seems odd to be worried about that so early when there's only 3 and still having time healing patches or whatever

Yea, but there's no reason to create a paradox when we don't need to. Who knows what cards scum might have, or how many of them their are. Three scum could potentially cause 8 paradox right now, if they all had inverters. That's in addition to the ones on the board already.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kumbamontu posted:

i have to wait for him to die again first i think

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
tell me when to save abe

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Byers2142 posted:

What if I told you I thought you were scummy mcscumerson and tried to set this up with WWM at the end of yesterday?

If that were true, then why did I agree (well, not agree, but I didn't disagree either) with you? I set up a plan with WWM then immediately just said we should watch Kleedrac like any other player, instead of making a judgement call on the gambit to push it forward?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

So let's talk about Mithross, and his connection to WWM.

First, Mithross has spent more than half of his time in the game talking mechanics, not alignment. That's an easy subject for scum to hide in, because the game mechanics are alignment-neutral. The game works the same for both sides.

Second, look at this series of posts:

Mithross posted:

I can't see Kleedrac as scum, just for voting a claimed 3p. It's not an optimum strategy, in my opinion, but it is a valid one.

And although I can see why people are skeptical of WWM's claim, I'm skeptical that a scum would try it. They would have to be scumbros, WWM would have to decide to protect Kleedrac openly when he only had three votes on him, and push like crazy.
That or, as scum, defend Kleedrac the townie when he had three votes, then continuously double down badly.

It wouldn't be a scumslip, it would have to be a scum-trip-down-a-flight-of-stairs

JakeP posted:

I disagree. WWM could have been trying to gain cred by calling a player that was likely to get lynched town, so when they got lynched he could act like it was obvious, and we were scummy for lynching him. Then he got super called out for acting really weird around it so felt forced into making a claim that gave him a reason to know Kleedrac was town. Kleedrac does not have to be scum for scum WWM to defend him.

Sure the strategy makes no sense, because being wrong is not a scum tell ever, but you might be surprised how often scum try to do this, especially when they corner themselves by acting super scummy and start racking up votes.

Mithross posted:

I don't know that I'm 100% sold on this explanation, but it's possible, and something I hadn't thought of.

He defends the fakeclaim, but backs down when JakeP points out how from some points of view it makes sense for WWM to have done exactly what he turns out he had done, which was fakeclaim a daycop. He can't push the defense because the thread is against his point of view, so he drops the defense on his scumbro.

Finally, he's the next to last vote on WWM, but the vote was made as an aside. Not once did he make a solid call on WWM's alignment, he just offered rationalization for why WWM could be town. And less than five minutes later, WWM self-votes after having not posted in the thread for hours. The timing of it feels like scumbros talking in a doc, deciding that WWM needs to self-vote, and not paying enough attention to stagger the votes more.

In short, I think that Mithross has focuses more on mechanics than alignment and has two separate connections to WWM, his defense of WWM and the voting pattern at the end of the day. Mithross is scum.

##vote Mithross

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Mithross posted:

If that were true, then why did I agree (well, not agree, but I didn't disagree either) with you? I set up a plan with WWM then immediately just said we should watch Kleedrac like any other player, instead of making a judgement call on the gambit to push it forward?

I think that you and WWM worked out his self vote, that someone in the scumdoc suggested that Kleedrac comment as a parting shot, and that you posted about treating Kleedrac like any other player to defuse my own comments about WWM's parting post. Hence the full post:

Mithross posted:

You're shutting down the discussion.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

JakeP posted:

tell me when to save abe

If you save abe I can patch 1868

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Sorry I haven't been posting much. I am notoriously bad at mafia. I'm enjoying the time travel mechanic and trying to figure that stuff out, but I'm terrible at reading people. I'll try!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

bowmore was replaced by PMush... who hasn't posted yet in the thread?

CPig, give me five guns, I'll solve your lurker problem.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
why not 6 guns? or 10?

why not zoidberg?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

why not 6 guns? or 10?

why not zoidberg?

17 players, one claimed 3P, I assume there are four scum. One scum and one town is dead, 15 players, a 3P and three scum. Shoot five players and only hit town, it's MYLO. Except when I did the math in my head I thought it would be LYLO. So yeah, give me six guns.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Help I am confused of game

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
The timeline has been changed!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Byers2142 posted:

First, Mithross has spent more than half of his time in the game talking mechanics, not alignment. That's an easy subject for scum to hide in, because the game mechanics are alignment-neutral. The game works the same for both sides.

The mechanics are alignment neutral, but our goals are very, very different. It's important to keep talking about the game mechanics and the board/card game aspect of what we're playing. Half my posts is still as much as most other players have total, so that's a specious argument.
In addition, my timeline reward specifically makes me better at the card portion of the game, so it's something I have a vested interest in.

Byers2142 posted:

Finally, he's the next to last vote on WWM, but the vote was made as an aside. Not once did he make a solid call on WWM's alignment, he just offered rationalization for why WWM could be town. And less than five minutes later, WWM self-votes after having not posted in the thread for hours. The timing of it feels like scumbros talking in a doc, deciding that WWM needs to self-vote, and not paying enough attention to stagger the votes more.

I never made an alignment call, because I didn't have one to make. It was day 1, close to deadline, and we had no other lynch, so I voted. I thought it was unlikely WWM had pulled such a gambit, but admitted it was possible. So yes, I fell for it, and am dumb.

Do you have a read on anyone other than me? I'm down to talk about other people, while you wait for anyone else to show up in the thread to talk about how you think I'm scummy.

Quid is worrying me, and that post didn't help. He made what I read as a joke post, but LUTR took seriously. We talked a little about how it might be serious, then he said he would scumhunt and disappeared for two real days, only to come back with that.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

If you save abe I can patch 1868

Now's your chance! Impeach that president who's life we just saved!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
The Awful app is loving up so I'm having difficulty reading post histories but Anon's "I'm so bad at Mafia" post is maybe the worst in the game so far.

Couple that with the fact that Somber died last night, I remember anon saying if she's playing scum against a town Somber, he'd be her first kill because he's so polarizing and makes so much happen if he flips late game.

I'm gonna check this more closely when I'm near a computer but if anyone feels like checking her interactions with WWM that'd be super cool of you.

##vote anonymous narcotics

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Confirming I am the doctor

wait was this claim serious?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Also I can blow up the Titanic if anyone needs me to and I can flip any linchpin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
The timeline has been patched!

• Locked thread