Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

ErIog posted:

The right wing media fixation on PP at the moment is really disconcerting. They are working themselves up into a frenzy about this, and that means we're going to get some ridiculous overreaction that could end up loving over PP, science researchers, and people who want to donate tissue. And all of this right before the government shutdown fight which means we're gonna get more stupid bullshit from the Teahadists over it.
I really hate that "the government shutdown" is just a regularly-occurring event now that we all have to live with because republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Bunleigh posted:

I really hate that "the government shutdown" is just a regularly-occurring event now that we all have to live with because republicans.

Just like mass shootings, and for the same reason even. :smith:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's not the fault of Republicans that human misery is the only way to sustain their unlife.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's not the fault of Republicans that human misery is the only way to sustain their unlife.

So Satan?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Here's part 4

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...od-intensifies/

quote:

The Planned Parenthood affiliate for which Ginde works says that it declined to move forward with the proposal outlined in the footage, in which actors said they represented the company BioMax.

“PPRM determined we would not enter into a contract proposed by BioMax because they did not meet our legal and ethical standards,” Vicki Cowart, CEO of Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains, said in an statement e-mailed after the edited video’s release.

“Our legal counsel provided line item edits to their proposed contract where we again clarified that we would strictly adhere to laws,” Cowart said in her statement. “Our staff asked probing questions about their process and didn’t enter into an agreement when those questions weren’t answered.”

The video, Cowart added, is “another misleading and deceptively edited video” from “extremists who entered our facility based on misrepresentations and an elaborate, years-long fraudulent scheme.”

In response, CMP did not deny that the Planned Parenthood affiliate declined to agree to a contract, but took issue with Cowart’s overall characterization of their exchange. David Daleiden, project lead for the Center for Medical Progress, said in an emailed statement to The Post on Thursday afternoon that the last time they communicated with PPRM was July 7, “as of which time they were still wanting to enter into a contract.”

Daleiden also believes the Planned Parenthood affiliate has “no paper trail” to prove they rejected the contract. “Their VP and Medical Director wanted to sell body parts badly,” he added.

"We rejected them because their plans violated the fundamental legal and ethical standards by which we operate"

To which the response is

"Nu-uh! You totally kept in touch with us to sell us baby parts, just try and prove us wrong! Prove that you rejected our contract in writing, PROVE IT OR YOUR BABY ORGAN SELLERS!"

This is at the level of approaching a PP rep, passing over a contract for them to increase their abortions by 1000% and when PP walks away from the table in disgust then saying "Well they never said in writing they opposed it, so clearly they want to do it"

Literally, at every loving level PP has made sure that they in no way shape or form break any laws and hold themselves to the highest medical ethical standards. If this ends with PP being defunded then burn every GOP leader at the stake.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 30, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
At this point I am perplexed. If they were legitimately under any moral compulsion to end abortion why lie so loving hard about their opponents?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
taqiyya.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

At this point I am perplexed. If they were legitimately under any moral compulsion to end abortion why lie so loving hard about their opponents?

They are scum that want to gently caress over women they have literally no ethics to hamper them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mel Mudkiper posted:

it's not lying if you sincerely believe your opponents drink the blood of infants and you just need to cut out the 99% of scruff to get to the 1% of statements which clearly indicate they thirst for infant blood

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's not lying if you sincerely believe your opponents drink the blood of infants and you just need to cut out the 99% of scruff to get to the 1% of statements which clearly indicate they thirst for infant blood

Good point

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Costanza logic seems like it could apply to a lot of conservative principles.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So some rightwing "youth" project asked for video submissions of millennials calling for the defunding of planned parenthood to make into a montage to show that young people are against abortion.

They got 13 people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EhgDpTgpKA

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Is 13 a lot? Like letters to television studios, 1 = 100 or something.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So some rightwing "youth" project asked for video submissions of millennials calling for the defunding of planned parenthood to make into a montage to show that young people are against abortion.

They got 13 people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EhgDpTgpKA

"Hmm, I don't know about this Planned Parenthood stuff, they seem pretty above board and what they're being accused of doesn't entirely make sense. Oh, a young person thinks we should defund them? Well poo poo, I guess they sell ground up babies."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Ok so 1300 out of 75.3 million

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Liberal hippies eat placentas after giving birth, surely they would pay for this product!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MariusLecter posted:

If we're talking millennials I doubt it's even that.

Hopefully

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I love how the anti-abortion people like to push a talking point that millenials are going to end abortion because more of them identify as "pro-life," when if you look at polling on the actual issue of abortion rather than the nebulous concept of "pro-life" the numbers are totally unchanged from previous generations.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite thing about the abortion debate is how the anti-abortion side always paints the opposition as abortion fanatics who love the practice and want to just conceive babies all day so that they can abort them because reasons. I mean, outside of the few outliers there are on literally every issue, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who actually likes abortion. It's a horrible thing, and it's a choice a woman should never have to make, but we're not living in a perfect world and sometimes it's a necessary evil.

Of course, the best way to reduce abortion would be to promote contraceptive use and thorough, informative sex ed in schools. The anti-abortion people for the most part never get behind those things though. Funny, that...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The ends justify the means. It's like invading a country and killing hundreds of thousands of civilians so you can liberate them from the tyrannical leader that had killed hundreds of them over the past few decades.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This isn't exactly crazy right-wing media, but the fact that an online county newspaper in blood-red Wyoming acknowledged in the headline that voting fraud is rare is noteworthy.

http://county10.com/2015/07/29/dubois-woman-charged-with-rare-voting-fraud-crimes/

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Star Man posted:

This isn't exactly crazy right-wing media, but the fact that an online county newspaper in blood-red Wyoming acknowledged in the headline that voting fraud is rare is noteworthy.

http://county10.com/2015/07/29/dubois-woman-charged-with-rare-voting-fraud-crimes/

It could just as easily be the case that a liberal journalism grad had to look really hard for a job so they get their digs in when they can.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Maybe. But it is read by a lot of people that vote straight R every election. You take what you can get.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't follow. They're under a moral compulsion, therefore they're right, so if they have to stage things a certain way to show people the truth then yeah sure maybe they're stretching a little but there's no harm in that. They can't be lying, they're the good guys.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

I don't follow. They're under a moral compulsion, therefore they're right, so if they have to stage things a certain way to show people the truth then yeah sure maybe they're stretching a little but there's no harm in that. They can't be lying, they're the good guys.
This. Rather than stating that the "good guys" are good guys because they do good things, they establish who the good guys are first and then draw the conclusion that their actions must be good.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
The right wing pro-life movement is roundly okay with George Tiller being murdered in his church. Of course they don't care about lying as long as it achieves their goal of making abortions illegal.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Does anyone have that chart of Effective Ways To Reduce Abortion vs. What Anti-Abortionists Actually Do?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Honestly it should probably be in the OP with all the planned parenthood poo poo going down.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Here, have a bad joke

Obama actually sentient hamburger? Democrat witch Michelle Obama's attempts to ban burgers all over America!

Add more crazy if needed.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Mister Adequate posted:

Does anyone have that chart of Effective Ways To Reduce Abortion vs. What Anti-Abortionists Actually Do?

Here you go:

On a similar note, I recommend Libby Anne's classic article:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2012/10/how-i-lost-faith-in-the-pro-life-movement.html

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhJ04_vz568

Here have a lovely Todd Starnes video.

It really should be a drinking game with some of these quotes.

"WHERE'S THE OUTRAGE FROM THE MEDIA ABOUT THIS VIDEO!?!"

"WE HAD A PETTY POLITICIAN STOP A BILL FROM DEFUNDING PLANNED PARENTHOOD. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT PETTY POLITICS"

"OUR COUNTRY HAS LOST IT'S MORAL COMPASS"

"HAVE WE BECOME A BARBARIC NATION? BILL O'REILLY SAYS SO"

Is Todd Starnes pro-lion killing? I mean he must, after all he seems to care more about Abortion and loving over LGBT rights than talking about conservation of wildlife!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jurgan posted:

Here you go:

That's been around for ten years and the depressing part is that people have gotten nuttier about it; the first row is no longer relevant because we're at the point where women who've had miscarriages may be charged for homicide.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Antti posted:

That's been around for ten years and the depressing part is that people have gotten nuttier about it; the first row is no longer relevant because we're at the point where women who've had miscarriages may be charged for homicide.

The depressing part is that they're acting more rationally and consistently than before, and getting away with it, yeah.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Chantilly Say posted:

The depressing part is that they're acting more rationally and consistently than before, and getting away with it, yeah.

Rape exceptions have always seemed hypocritical to me. If you believe abortion is murder, it shouldn't matter how the baby was conceived. Guys like Todd Akin have gotten a lot of flak for opposing rape exceptions, but really they're just following the rhetoric of the pro-life movement to its logical endpoint. So I actually have less respect for politicians who want abortion illegal except for rape victims, because they can't have any motive other than controlling women's sex lives.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jurgan posted:

Rape exceptions have always seemed hypocritical to me. If you believe abortion is murder, it shouldn't matter how the baby was conceived. Guys like Todd Akin have gotten a lot of flak for opposing rape exceptions, but really they're just following the rhetoric of the pro-life movement to its logical endpoint. So I actually have less respect for politicians who want abortion illegal except for rape victims, because they can't have any motive other than controlling women's sex lives.

That's a very interesting point and I generally agree with you. Rape exceptions are resorted to by pro-life politicians because it is instantly and emotionally relatable to even men that forcing a woman to have a child resulting from a rape is a reprehensible thing. However, instead of thinking "okay, maybe abortion is not murder, and we need to make a judgement call in favour of the mother in some cases", they shut off their moral thinking - if they had any in the first place - and go for the rape exception policy because of political expedience. And then you have big honking morons like Akin who try to navigate it by arguing that a rape exception is not necessary not because murder is wrong, but because if you got pregnant you were not really raped. It directly exposes the ethos behind his thinking, which is not that abortion is a moral wrong, but that women should be held accountable for having (the wrong kind of) sex.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 31, 2015

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jurgan posted:

I just figure it's a compromise. Some anti-choicers want no abortion ever, but they know that doesn't necessarily win, so they're willing to get part of what they want.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
It's kind of unbelievable that there are still people in 2015 who are against contraception.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Phone posted:

Oh you think that police killing people is bad? If you really cared, you'd be more concerned with crime in Chicago, etc.

I'm guessing this particular talking point must have full saturation on Fox News etc. right now? Because I'm hearing it very frequently out of the mouths of people around me these days. Who are all Fox News junkies.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zwabu posted:

I'm guessing this particular talking point must have full saturation on Fox News etc. right now? Because I'm hearing it very frequently out of the mouths of people around me these days. Who are all Fox News junkies.

I've been hearing that one for years, especially when abortion or a black person getting killed are in the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bunleigh posted:

It's kind of unbelievable that there are still people in 2015 who are against contraception.

There are vocal fringe groups in the news who seriously believe it's the holy duty of the white race to outbreed the brown and black people. And one of the largest religious organizations in the world forbids contraception because they think if you aren't trying to make children you shouldn't be having sex at all.