Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Doctor Butts posted:

Wooo first hat-trick in a game that counts.

Holy poo poo. Awesome man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Doctor Butts posted:

Wooo first hat-trick in a game that counts.

Nice dude - teach me the ways of your scoring. I just want one goddamn goal before the season ends. :v:
(I need to stop playing D)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Duke Chin posted:

Nice dude - teach me the ways of your scoring. I just want one goddamn goal before the season ends. :v:

Playing D is no obstacle to scoring goals.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Habibi posted:

My d partner is way faster and better so I default to floating back to center'ish to cover if he pinches in and the winger doesn't slide over. :(

I need to stop being a teammate and start freelancing for that elusive goal next game :v:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Duke Chin posted:

You're playing in your first year too right? Ask if you can play a couple games as a forward, it's a lot of fun. I played D for the first 7 games and then moved up and I think that's where I'm staying for the playoffs.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

My d partner is way faster and better so I default to floating back to center'ish to cover if he pinches in and the winger doesn't slide over. :(

I need to stop being a teammate and start freelancing for that elusive goal next game :v:

Your goalie appreciates this style of play.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

prom candy posted:

You're playing in your first year too right? Ask if you can play a couple games as a forward, it's a lot of fun. I played D for the first 7 games and then moved up and I think that's where I'm staying for the playoffs.

Our #1 center is actually out for the next game so I just put out feelers for bouncing up to C/W for the next game (which doesn't mean anything since seeding is pretty much set for playoffs) so we'll see how that goes. If so I'm just gonna play crash the whole time and hope for garbage. :v:

Bradf0rd posted:

Your goalie appreciates this style of play.

I try. I like our ancient ol' goalie and I loving hate leaving him hanging out to dry.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

prom candy posted:

I've been eating a big meal like six hours before the game and then a smaller meal two hours before the game and I feel like I've got legs for days, so thanks whoever posted that.

NP dog.

Everyone always laughs when I tell them how loving specific I am with my pre-game meal but the truth is athletes eat this for a reason. I feel full but never cramp up and I don't feel exhausted.

4oz cooked chicken and 450 calories of whole wheat pasta with a bit of veg in the sauce. 2/3 chicken and 1/3 of your pasta eaten 6 hours before the game. Then finish the rest 3 hours before the game. Eat a piece of fruit like an apple 45-35 minutes before the game. Drinking water throughout this obviously but not a crazy amount. Maybe 1 litre spread out do you need to pee a few times. You'll have energy from the fruit to get you through your first few shifts then you'll have plenty of those complex carbs to keep you going into overtime if needed.

For example, today I power skated for 1hr and had a 30 minute break, then did 1.5 hours of adult learn to play hockey and skating. Both were intense. Normally on the above I'm tired when I finish this but not dumping. Today, however, I didn't have time to make food so I had a mix of whey power, milk, some oatmeal with brown sugar, a banana, bread and peanut butter Reese's spread. By the end I felt like pure and utter garbage.

On the plus side it really helped with the mental game as I was pushing myself through an asthma attack, lactic acid in the legs from skating hard for a while and I had a stomach cramp badly from my garbage food!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Habibi posted:

I got a hatty from D tonight. Boom.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I got a hatty from D tonight. Boom.

t:mad:t

e: I mean I'm so happy for you

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Found out that I have a chance to play after a Flyers game. Only downside is I have to watch the Flyers play :negative:

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

calandryll posted:

Found out that I have a chance to play after a Flyers game. Only downside is I have to watch the Flyers play :negative:

I'm jealous and you also hurt my feelings :(

That said I'd have the same sort of feelings if I had a similar opportunity with the Canes.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

Being in front of the net and knocking loose pucks in were most of my goals. Third goal was on my 4th rebound shot.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Back to bag chat from 2 weeks ago.

No idea on Trons quality as Ive only ever used some of their gloves, but they have bags for 50% (code is BAGS50) off right now, and this "pro" bag seems decent. It looks exactly like my Portland Pirates AHL bag minus the logo.

http://www.hockeytron.com/Tron-Pro-Hockey-Equipment-Travel-Bag.html?sc=86&category=376251

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

Food stuff

Do you see this diet changing when you graduate from ltp classes to actually playing for the Stanley cup?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have their backpack and its held up well.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

Do you see this diet changing when you graduate from ltp classes to actually playing for the Stanley cup?

No, it's that good already. :smug:

Some guys eat heavy and poo poo before the game. I don't know how they do it, I'd cramp up and feel like garbage and have a horrible time.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 31, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Raleigh/Central NC hockey goons: Where do/would you go to get properly fitted for skates? I need a new pair.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

doctor 7 posted:

No, it's that good already. :smug:

Some guys eat heavy and poo poo before the game. I don't know how they do it, I'd cramp up and feel like garbage and have a horrible time.

You've got to do a light workout before that minus 6 hours meal to promote glycogen uptake.

DaRandomGuy
Aug 27, 2013
So, I read the OP and im not sure which Sher-Wood to buy, bewbies said to avoid Coffey but didnt say anything about the other ones. Im thinking about the PP09 and PP26 because I can get the same for Left and Right. Not sure which way i prefer to shoot yet so i want to try both, im completely new. theres also http://www.hockeygiant.com/sher5030scstksr.html. They seem like different models but will hockeymonkey still beat hock giants price on that? or should i just order it from hockey giant? theres also the 2015 models http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sherwood-hockey-stick-5030sc-15-sr.html

E: i found the 2015 model on hockeymonkey http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sherwood-hockey-stick-5030sc-15-sr.html. should i get the '15 model or a different year?

DaRandomGuy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 31, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Where do you live? Can you go to lost/found at your local rink and see if they have any righty or lefty you can try? Or borrow one during a learn to skate class from a coach?

DaRandomGuy
Aug 27, 2013

sellouts posted:

Where do you live? Can you go to lost/found at your local rink and see if they have any righty or lefty you can try? Or borrow one during a learn to skate class from a coach?

i live in san jose. i was just thinking about learning to stick handle for hand eye coordination at home right now since i dont really have the time and money to go to the rink often. i was thinking about doing some street drills from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?HockeyReviewHQ?videos is this a bad idea?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I used to have a PP09 Sherwood, it's a pretty good neutral pattern. I'm positive that you won't notice any particular difference in the year to year 5030 models.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
If you want to start out with a composite and not a wood stick, Tron has a few old models on clearance:

http://www.hockeytron.com/Tron-LE-Senior-Composite-Hockey-Stick.html?sc=87&category=-187
http://www.hockeytron.com/CCM-Vector-V100-Senior-Composite-Hockey-Stick-w-ABS-Blade.html?sc=87&category=-187

They also sell these new-model cheapo composites that are much heavier than the ones above since they're basic models (still likely lighter than a wood stick)

http://www.hockeytron.com/Tron-Basic-Senior-Composite-Hockey-Shaft.html?sc=52&category=1201
http://www.hockeytron.com/Hespeler-Rogue-Senior-Composite-Hockey-Stick.html?sc=49&category=2659

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I love the PP09, mainly due to the the 5.5 lie which works the best for me.

DeNofa posted:

That said I'd have the same sort of feelings if I had a similar opportunity with the Canes.

I actually don't care about any team really, I'm a marginal Pens fan. I just love watching hockey. My girlfriend took me to a Flyers v Pens game. It was hilarious and fun. Entire placed booed every time Crosby came near the puck.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

DeNofa posted:

Hell, if you've got the money, you could play with (retired) Canes: Annual Alumni Game

I've got a friend who played in the first one.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I've never spent more than $30 on a stick. I've gone with Crosby heel curve to whatever the gently caress and I know nothing about them other than I was told Crosby uses a pretty conservative curve. However I still find my shots going pretty high.

Is a better stick really a huge difference when you're past starting but not good? I ask because getting new skates was a massive difference. Right now I'm using a CCM 26k $40 75 flex with a Crosby blade whatever the poo poo.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Yeah the most I've ever paid was like $60, and while, granted, that was on a clearance stick that used to be $250, I don't really get the guys and gals who go out and actually drop that much. There is definitely some difference in performance between the high and low end, but my view is that unless you're like legitimately B-league good and up, you're not really going to feel everything (or anything) a better stick will give you. Unless, I suppose, if you have and rely on a big shot, than you will probably feel the difference more. My game is based more around stick handling and passing, though, and for that I haven't really seen much more performance out of my Warrior Widow over my entry level Bauer x70 or whatever, nor any of the sticks in between.

e: I've actually contemplated playing a few games with a wooden stick (which is what I use for off-ice practice). My wrist shot suffers but inexplicably my slapper gains like 10mph.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

My wrist shots are pretty lovely and weak with the occasional one that is mediocre. Haven't been able to learn how to take a slap shot.

Just wanted to make sure it doesn't make a difference until you're good!

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

calandryll posted:

Entire placed booed every time Crosby came near the puck.

As they should have

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Hell, if you've got the money, you could play with (retired) Canes: Annual Alumni Game

I've got a friend who played in the first one.

I play at Ice Plex so the last thing I want to do is pay more money to play with more old guys.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Raleigh/Central NC hockey goons: Where do/would you go to get properly fitted for skates? I need a new pair.

I don't know if anywhere is good :( I hate Five Hole (Cary) but they have a lot of different brand and model options. The kids there are kind of dick-ish when they start to smell you're just there to try and not buy.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I play with an expensive stick I bought new at minimal discount...and then put away for like 6 years because I hated it at the time. Worst initial purchase ever, best shopping-my-garage find ever.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

doctor 7 posted:

I've never spent more than $30 on a stick. I've gone with Crosby heel curve to whatever the gently caress and I know nothing about them other than I was told Crosby uses a pretty conservative curve. However I still find my shots going pretty high.

The player the curve is named after doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what the player actually uses.

Compare that to the blade chart of a P87A (or whatever it is)

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 1, 2015

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Good I wish I had picked up hundreds of those fischers on amazon. They've been great so far.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

The player the curve is named after doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what the player actually uses.

Sorry I meant the curve of the Crosby sticks is a relatively conservative one. So basically you won't be roofing it unless you try to. Unless you me and people think you're a head-hunting rear end in a top hat on your own goalie in warm-ups.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

doctor 7 posted:

Is a better stick really a huge difference when you're past starting but not good? I ask because getting new skates was a massive difference. Right now I'm using a CCM 26k $40 75 flex with a Crosby blade whatever the poo poo.

Give the Stamkos curve a try if you're willing to look at a Bauer stick. It's a pretty neutral curve and I'm glad I chose it to learn how to shoot with. It's basically babbys first hockey stick for me (I've been playing for only 6 months).

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I hated the Stamkos curve at first because I found it very hard to get lift on my shots but then I switched back to it after playing with a Kane curve for a while and liked it. I find the really neutral curve great for passing and back handing. I recently switched to an Easton Iginla curve which was sold to me as partway between the two and I love it (although my Easton stick is also way nicer than the low-end Bauers I was playing with).

So yeah I'd recommend any of those for a new player, just don't get anything with a really dramatic curve.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I say get a super dramatic curve and learn to roof every shot top cheddar bar down and celly away clean

I still haven't figured it out myself

(i switch between a pair of kovalev and zetterberg warrior sticks at random)

communist kangaroo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 1, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

you find the transition between kovalev and zetterberg to be seamless? I've never shot one but i like the cammi/zetterberg patterns from bauer, easton, warrior

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Give the Stamkos curve a try if you're willing to look at a Bauer stick. It's a pretty neutral curve and I'm glad I chose it to learn how to shoot with. It's basically babbys first hockey stick for me (I've been playing for only 6 months).

Cool, thanks. If I can pick one up cheap I'll give it a go. I have no brand preference at all. Just the sticks I have were cheap at the time.

communist kangaroo posted:

I say get a super dramatic curve and learn to roof every shot top cheddar bar down and celly away clean

I still haven't figured it out myself

(i switch between a pair of kovalev and zetterberg warrior sticks at random)

I'd say 50% of my shots are clear over the net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts is a big fan of the sand wedge curve for when he needs to chip it towards the net from a corner bunker

or fire it at a goalie's head