Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

The big announcement was... that they will make more announcements next month. lol

It takes time to make screenshots that take more than three minutes to be called out as fake, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I'm sure everyone here agrees that Canadian polls are garbage, but this is just precious.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I hope you motherfuckers love inflation

quote:

Jaw-dropping from Credit Suisse: "we think CAD competitiveness would only start to improve with
USDCAD above 1.60"

https://twitter.com/LJKawa/status/627966932017393664

:smugdog:

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
The worst part of the whole thing is that if there's any result which isn't a CPC government their response in opposition is going to be to try to turn their base into full-on rejectionists who think that any non-CPC government is illegal, unconstitutional, invalid, etc.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Cultural Imperial posted:

The lowest the Canadian Dollar has been since 1950 is $1.62, in 2002.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

cuttooth posted:

A coalition with which party, though? Might there be enough blue Liberals to turn a CPC minority into a CPC/Lib coalition, or maybe we would see Liberal floor-crossers? I mean, that would probably spell the end for Liberal support in many camps, but still...I worry.

Oh god it's going to be the worst 11 weeks.

I think Red Tory Liberals crossing the floor or simply voting with the Minority Conservative government against a no confidence motion is a reasonably likely outcome. There is a conservative wing to the Liberal party that everyone keeps ignoring and the 2008-2009 near coalition seemed to be deeply controversial within the Liberal party. The recent Ekos Poll found that 26% of Liberal supporters would rather have a Conservative Minority than a Lib/NDP coalition with Mulcair as PM.

It bothers me to see young "anyone but Harper" voters in ridings where there is a neck and neck Lib/Conservative race, but where NDP are a near third, voting Liberal. The voters are planning on strategically voting Liberal to keep the Conservative out because they think they're doing the right thing by voting out the Conservative, but they're maintaining the opposition party split, and hoping on a coalition which has never appeared and is unlikely to appear in the future. The better strategy is to vote NDP, the only opposition party which is nationally popular and can win.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

colonel_korn posted:

The big announcement was... that they will make more announcements next month. lol

Oh god that idiot is back

cuttooth
Dec 12, 2002

The ATR1: turning shit into polished turds since 1997.

Femtosecond posted:

The better strategy is to vote NDP, the only opposition party which is nationally popular and can win.

This is pretty much where I'm at. Screw strategic voting, even though I'm now just barely in a new riding that has no hope of voting any way other than Conservative.

I was literally redistributed by 6 blocks.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

yellowcar posted:

"WE AREN'T IN A RECESSION, STATSCAN AND ECONOMISTS ARE LIARS BECAUSE MY LITTLE BUMFUCK TOWN IN ALBERTA HASN'T BEEN AFFECTED YET"

-An actual caller on Cross Country Checkup

I heard that gentleman as well. He also denied that the drought was affecting the prairies and guaranteed a huge bumper crop for everything being grown this year. Repeatedly invited the rest of the country to come to Alberta for all the fabulous jobs. Stated that everyone he knew was already long sick of the Notley government and couldn't wait to get rid of her. Complained that no one from the premier's office was responding to his :bahgawd: e-mails.

Anything the host challenged him with was met with something along the lines of, "Well how the heck would YOU know? You and StatsCan ain't from around here, ARE YA? :clint: "

God bless the producer for letting him on the air. Though I guess it's only appropriate that someone from the conservative base gets some national airtime.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

The Dark One posted:

I'm sure everyone here agrees that Canadian polls are garbage, but this is just precious.

Hey if you want to take Canadians as advisors why not start with the Canadians in your party who enacted resolutions like implementing a national GMI and crafting a national housing strategy

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
What is the Conservative's excuse for an early election start? I mean clearly anyone with half a brain knows it's to try and starve the other parties, but do they even have an ostensible reason they're parroting?

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

mik posted:

What is the Conservative's excuse for an early election start? I mean clearly anyone with half a brain knows it's to try and starve the other parties, but do they even have an ostensible reason they're parroting?

If I'm not mistaken, the party line the Cons are going with is that since all of the parties were already campaigning anyways, officially calling an election will ensure that everyone plays by the rules from here on in.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

mik posted:

"We're just following the election rules that were set! We don't have any advantage from this really! :downs:"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well I went and tossed the NDP 50$, gotta make the CPC regret their actions.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Some inflation is good, so?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Some inflation is good, so?

If the CAD goes from parity with the USD to $1.60, the price of imported goods will increase by 60% on top of regular inflation. So no, that's generally not a good thing unless you're happy paying $1400 for an iPhone.

On the other hand, it will keep more gold mines and tar sands operations profitable. Assuming they don't need to import equipment.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Whiskey Sours posted:

If the CAD goes from parity with the USD to $1.60, the price of imported goods will increase by 60% on top of regular inflation. So no, that's generally not a good thing unless you're happy paying $1400 for an iPhone.

On the other hand, it will keep more gold mines and tar sands operations profitable. Assuming they don't need to import equipment.

$2/L gas? Thanks NDP!

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Whiskey Sours posted:

It would also increase the competitiveness of all export-based industries, including manufacturing, and probably make domestic goods more appealing to consumers.

Of course it won't happen, because the moment oil gets hot again the CAD will be a more appealing currency for investors and speculators to hold, driving up the value.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Whiskey Sours posted:

That's okay, we can just use locally manufactured Canadian equipment... LOL

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
NDP Majority :raise: Bring on the orange wave

Ikantski posted:

$2/L gas? Thanks NDP!

If Harper won the election, and our dollar continues its inevitable collapse, he would blame ISIS or those filthy Leftists anyways.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

lonelywurm posted:

It would also increase the competitiveness of all export-based industries, including manufacturing, and probably make domestic goods more appealing to consumers.

Of course it won't happen, because the moment oil gets hot again the CAD will be a more appealing currency for investors and speculators to hold, driving up the value.

:allears:

Except that manufacturing in Canada will never recover, especially in the auto industry because the loonie has no chance in hell with competing with the peso.

But hey, vote for the beautiful man child Trudeau because he's going to LEGALIZE WEED :420:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Ernest Hemingway posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the party line the Cons are going with is that since all of the parties were already campaigning anyways, officially calling an election will ensure that everyone plays by the rules from here on in.

How incredibly convenient that this comes like one week after Polievre went around handing out cheques while wearing a CPC t-shirt. :rolleye:

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

:allears:

Except that manufacturing in Canada will never recover, especially in the auto industry because the loonie has no chance in hell with competing with the peso.

But hey, vote for the beautiful man child Trudeau because he's going to LEGALIZE WEED :420:
5/10. You can do better, CI.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

lonelywurm posted:

Yes, but it will also increase the price for Canadian manufacturers to import raw materials, parts and equipment. It will only really be the labor and utilities components of exported good prices that decrease.

You also need manufacturers to build *new* factories in Canada if you're expecting more exports from a devalued currency to prop up your economy.

Whiskey Sours has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Aug 3, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

lonelywurm posted:

5/10. You can do better, CI.

If you don't believe me, why don't you go look up how much manufacturing has expanded since the first o/n increase this year?

Sorry duder but the tragically hip are going to have to write all you southern Ontarians a new ballad about how much life sucks :qq:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

If you don't believe me, why don't you go look up how much manufacturing has expanded since the first o/n increase this year?

Sorry duder but the tragically hip are going to have to write all you southern Ontarians a new ballad about how much life sucks :qq:

No matter how crappy Ontario becomes, we will never hold a candle to the trash that is Vancouver. At least we have industry :canada:

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

I don't disbelieve you. It was just a poor jab, because I have never considered voting Trudeau. And I've been back in Alberta for like, 11 months at this point.

Seriously, the actual trolling components of your posts just get weaker and weaker. You gotta get back on your game. You used to be one of the funniest posters in these threads, but you got lazy, man.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jm20 posted:

No matter how crappy Ontario becomes, we will never hold a candle to the trash that is Vancouver. At least we have industry :canada:

:agreed:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jm20 posted:

it's a future rust belt vs a current day cayman islands.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

etalian posted:

it's a future rust belt vs a current day cayman islands.

That's very unfair. The Cayman islands have a nice climate and excellent diving.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

cuttooth posted:

This is pretty much where I'm at. Screw strategic voting, even though I'm now just barely in a new riding that has no hope of voting any way other than Conservative.

I was literally redistributed by 6 blocks.

With the per vote subsidy gone, what's the point of *not* voting strategically? Congrats, you voted NDP, but the Conservative candidate narrowly edged out the Liberal. The end result is the greater of two evils. Hooray?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Goon posted:

With the per vote subsidy gone, what's the point of *not* voting strategically? Congrats, you voted NDP, but the Conservative candidate narrowly edged out the Liberal. The end result is the greater of two evils. Hooray?

The goal is to destroy the Liberal party so that the vote splitting stops. Possible short term pain for long term gain and all that.

I don't know that I'm on board with that plan, but that's the plan.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

The goal is to destroy the Liberal party so that the vote splitting stops. Possible short term pain for long term gain and all that.

I don't know that I'm on board with that plan, but that's the plan.

You won't kill the Liberals that way.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing will kill the Liberals but themselves.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
And they're doing a wonderful job.

cuttooth
Dec 12, 2002

The Goon posted:

Has strategic voting ever worked in this country? In any riding, ever?

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

The Goon posted:

If you assume the Liberals will allow any Conservative minority government to act as a majority, like they did pretty much the entire time Iggy was leader, then a Liberal MP is not the lesser of two evils. They're identical in practice to a Conservative MP.

Now, Trudeau is not Ignatieff, so we don't know if he'd do the same spineless bullshit. But the Tories' long, long campaign will almost certainly assure they're the only party with a dollar left by the end, making another election an unenviable task - and Trudeau has been incredibly petty about the idea of working with Mulcair, in any capacity. The combination of a depleted war-chest and Trudeau's stated unwillingness to work with Mulcair certainly has obvious parallels to Ignatieff's time leading the Liberals in '08-'10.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

cuttooth posted:

Right now, I'm in a riding where I don't even know if it is possible to strategic vote. The incumbent minister is retiring and the three candidates for the main parties are all new to the game. It's an open contest, and I won't find out if strategic voting would've helped or not until after the results are already tallied.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

cuttooth posted:

How would you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuttooth
Dec 12, 2002

Morroque posted:

Right now, I'm in a riding where I don't even know if it is possible to strategic vote. The incumbent minister is retiring and the three candidates for the main parties are all new to the game. It's an open contest, and I won't find out if strategic voting would've helped or not until after the results are already tallied.

I'm now in Calgary Signal Hill, which incorporated parts of Calgary West: the people who voted for Rob Anders. The Conservatives have pretty reliably taken more than double the votes of the riding's first runner up.

• Locked thread