Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Magic Fanatic posted:

Fujin is... A special case. While she didn't talk in Katakana, she spoke entirely in... Kanji. As far as I know, no furigana or anything, just single kanji.

Yeah, exactly. I don't know if she only spoke one word at a time or anything in the original script, but Kanji is EXTREMELY condensed even compared to Hiragana and Katakana (which is already more compact than our alphabet), and Square most likely designed Fujin's textboxes to be really small as a result. Because of that...

THIS.
PROBABLY
THE.
BEST.
THAT
COULD.
BE.
DONE
WITH.
HOW.
SMALL.
THE.
TEXTBOXES.
WERE.

So lesson here? Always make sure your localizers can find a way to make the font smaller, like how Ocarina of Time was handled. In that one, the original Japanese version only allowed for three lines per textbox, but then the English version expanded that to four lines per textbox, and made the font smaller (which...was part of the reason why Kaepora Gaebora conversations took so long to get through, granted).

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

As a fan of Discworld's Death. I imagine each of Fujin's words carrying a lot of weight. So one word is enough.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hey, the FFVIII localization team did the best they could. Especially if what I've heard about them having to play the game themselves in order to translate it is true.

Square only started giving their localization team the proper support with Chrono Cross.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah, exactly. I don't know if she only spoke one word at a time or anything in the original script, but Kanji is EXTREMELY condensed even compared to Hiragana and Katakana (which is already more compact than our alphabet), and Square most likely designed Fujin's textboxes to be really small as a result.

I've never played the Japanese version, but I'd expect her to still say one-word sentences, at least, or else I'd expect it to just be a pain to read.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Psion posted:

I think so, definitely.

It has some merit - there are some important things ff8 really should do a better job of putting front and center for the player and it fails to do so.

Or it brings the entirely wrong things to the front instead. Such as during the over-explanation of the assassination plan.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The real problem with subtlety is that while it can be one thing to make something subtle in your own native language/culture, translating that into another culture/language is another thing entirely, and can be orders of magnitude more difficult than creating it in the first place.

E: Also I have no idea how it was received in japan.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

SpookyLizard posted:

E: Also I have no idea how it was received in japan.

Well...considering that Famitsu gave it a 10/10...

Ok, at least some of that is probably bias due to it being a gaming magazine that would suffer for NOT giving positive ratings to a triple A title...but still. I can easily imagine a Japanese audience being able to call on stereotypes, archetypes, and all that to draw similarities between stories they've heard before, and what's being portrayed in Final Fantasy VIII. Like, I read that one of the game's overarching themes is dealing with the concept of inevitable loss, and how nothing lasts forever, which is a common theme in Japanese culture.

And of course, we AMERICANS...may not necessarily have that same advantage :cheeky:.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 1, 2015

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Fionordequester posted:

Well...considering that Famitsu gave it a 10/10...

That isn't how Famitsu scores work (they gave it a 37/40), and nobody should take Famitsu scores seriously, even as an indication of what Japan at large thinks of anything. Anything less than a 36 from a major company probably means playing the game will actually give you cancer. No matter what you think of the reviews of AAA games in the west by our industry, Famitsu is shadier.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Well, it's after 3 now, so voting's closed on GF naming, and FISHURURU won the day. Congratulations to FISHURURU.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cool Ghost posted:

Well, it's after 3 now, so voting's closed on GF naming, and FISHURURU won the day. Congratulations to FISHURURU.

.....Whatever

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Doc Morbid posted:

I choose to believe NORG sounds like Brian Blessed and that is why all his dialogue is in all caps.

:agreed: Brian Blessed is the perfect choice to voice NORG in FFVIII-HD for PS4.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The_Frag_Man posted:

:agreed: Brian Blessed is the perfect choice to voice NORG in FFVIII-HD for PS4.

It's not terribly different from his role as Boss Nass and no more weird than Flash Gordon. I'm in.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

FoolyCharged posted:

.....Whatever

It's just four periods, right? Not five? Close, but I'm only giving you a 37/40 on this post. :v:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

The_Frag_Man posted:

God, I so wish it was VIII that they were remaking and making spinoffs for. The world is way less consistent than VII and far more prone to the insanity of modern Square-Enix. Plus the triple belted character designs and future-tech backdrops of the Compilation fit far more with FFVIII than VII.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Can I say something? It's not really a spoiler because all it's about is something that DOESN'T happen for the rest of the game.

General Caraway? Rinoa's father? He will never be relevant ever again. His relationship with Rinoa? All that drama? Never going to be addressed. FFVIII will end and the two of them will stillnot get along.

I legitimately hate this. I am a rare soul who likes Rinoa. I want to see her character expand beyond Squall's love interest. But no, the game denies her that. Because who needs a healthy relationship with their dad when they have Broody McBishie as their future boyfriend? This game is awful and I hate it but I will defend a lot of it anyway. There's no defense for this though. It just pisses me off.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

NikkolasKing posted:

Can I say something? It's not really a spoiler because all it's about is something that DOESN'T happen for the rest of the game.

General Caraway? Rinoa's father? He will never be relevant ever again. His relationship with Rinoa? All that drama? Never going to be addressed. FFVIII will end and the two of them will stillnot get along.

I legitimately hate this. I am a rare soul who likes Rinoa. I want to see her character expand beyond Squall's love interest. But no, the game denies her that. Because who needs a healthy relationship with their dad when they have Broody McBishie as their future boyfriend? This game is awful and I hate it but I will defend a lot of it anyway. There's no defense for this though. It just pisses me off.

The first step is admitting you have a problem. :unsmith:

Seriously though I get what you're saying. I liked the whole Squall/Rinoa thing when the game was released because I was 17. Now it's infuriating that it's so... well, so FFVIII.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

He will never be relevant ever again.

He joins a long and distinguished list of things and people that are only relevant once, if they're lucky enough to be relevant at all.

Some are still semi-spoilers (at least explaining why they aren't relevant might lead to spoilers second hand)

NORG
Gen. Caraway
Dollet (excluding sidequests that could be done just as well anywhere else)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'd add Xu to your list.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What about the Forest Owls?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The owls are still around. So they get a reprieve for now.

And I did intentionally do that, and yes, I do feel dirty.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

FeyerbrandX posted:

The owls are still around.

:golfclap:

You're terrible for making that joke, though. But you knew that.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

The owls are still around. So they get a reprieve for now.

:v:

FeyerbrandX posted:

He joins a long and distinguished list of things and people that are only relevant once, if they're lucky enough to be relevant at all.

Some are still semi-spoilers (at least explaining why they aren't relevant might lead to spoilers second hand)

NORG
Gen. Caraway
Dollet (excluding sidequests that could be done just as well anywhere else)

You could also add most of the playable characters to this list fairly soon.

Fake edit: Actually the Big Silly Plot Spoiler might be a bit further along than I remember... But still that's the one that stinks the worst when 11year old me first played this game.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FeyerbrandX posted:

The owls are still around.

Ha!

NikkolasKing posted:

I am a rare soul who likes Rinoa.

You and me both. :respek:

Thanks for helping me make a little more sense of the NORG thing. I just couldn't make sense of it in any of the times I've played, but watching someone else do it and explain it did the trick. :v:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Rinoa was a video game crush for me. Not sure why, when selphie and quistis are in there.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Silegna posted:

Rinoa was a video game crush for me. Not sure why, when selphie and quistis are in there.

I was more of a Quistis fan. Of course now I see how weird the Trepies are in this game and I'm kinda self conscious about it. :ohdear:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

One thing this game definitely has in an overabundance of plot. Not story, plot. There's so much going on all the time when all they really needed to do was make the plot nice and linear with a couple loops thrown in. The gameplay suffers because so much of the action happens outside of battle screens, so something like the desert prison, while actually being a tiny, tiny part of the game, becomes an unbearable slog because nothing happens there. Nothing in this game is straightforward because it's trying to be *~EPIC~*. They would have had to either pare down the many many plot points, or expand upon them to make them worth even mentioning. There are a ton of great plot points and setpieces on the game that would have been fine if they were edited out and placed in a different game, or expanded upon, making VIII even larger and more expensive.

Man, everything about this game is stuff I want to like because I can kinda see what they were trying to do, but they failed so spectacularly in so many places. It's the same way I feel about XIII, really, except in that case everything is so coincidental and all the disparate threads just happen to line up because deus ex machina instead of just abandoning things as in VIII. Something happens in XIII and you think "Okay, so what?" whereas in VIII something happens and you thinkg "Well, and then what?"

This is, of course, a roundabout way of saying that I really wish they'd consider their writing a little more. Either back it off or crank it up, but this halfway poo poo just annoys anyone actually playing for the story.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Bregor posted:

I was more of a Quistis fan. Of course now I see how weird the Trepies are in this game and I'm kinda self conscious about it. :ohdear:

The trepies have got to be masochists to always be shoved to the side/ignored by Quistis. Selphie is adorable, and likes to blow poo poo up.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

rickiep00h posted:

One thing this game definitely has in an overabundance of plot. Not story, plot. There's so much going on all the time when all they really needed to do was make the plot nice and linear with a couple loops thrown in. The gameplay suffers because so much of the action happens outside of battle screens, so something like the desert prison, while actually being a tiny, tiny part of the game, becomes an unbearable slog because nothing happens there. Nothing in this game is straightforward because it's trying to be *~EPIC~*. They would have had to either pare down the many many plot points, or expand upon them to make them worth even mentioning. There are a ton of great plot points and setpieces on the game that would have been fine if they were edited out and placed in a different game, or expanded upon, making VIII even larger and more expensive.

Man, everything about this game is stuff I want to like because I can kinda see what they were trying to do, but they failed so spectacularly in so many places. It's the same way I feel about XIII, really, except in that case everything is so coincidental and all the disparate threads just happen to line up because deus ex machina instead of just abandoning things as in VIII. Something happens in XIII and you think "Okay, so what?" whereas in VIII something happens and you thinkg "Well, and then what?"

This is, of course, a roundabout way of saying that I really wish they'd consider their writing a little more. Either back it off or crank it up, but this halfway poo poo just annoys anyone actually playing for the story.

I think a lot of that is part of Squall's characterisation. He doesn't question orders or consider the consequences of his actions, and he doesn't want to take responsibility, so he basically just does whatever he's told. That means a lot of things happen, and he's right in the middle of them, but there's not a lot of follow-up. We haven't done much in the game for idealistic reasons, and most of what we do do is a bad idea. And I can see why people don't like it, and why it's frustrating, but I don't think it's unintentional.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Squall's characterization is good considering that he's a dumb teenager suddenly thrust into a leadership position. The only problem is that we're given no compelling reason for WHY he's been put in that position, except perhaps that everyone around him is incompetent.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

He's literally just put in charge of newbie squad which isn't that huge a deal because it seems the garden has never heard of putting an experienced guy in charge to show the new guys the ropes. Literally everything that follows is either a)Squalls buddies decided squall was already in charge or b)higher ups were deliberately picking the newbie squad. It really hasn't felt that unusual to me other than the whole squad composed entirely of new recruits thing. :shrug:

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Squall is the leader because he's good at being a SeeD. Everyone else sees him (rightly) as being good in a fight and cool under pressure. As the player/audience, we get to see Squall's internal doubts, but the other party members don't, and that's actually another leadership quality he has: Squall is very good at not saying poo poo out loud.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The problem though now is that it isn't just Squall and his summer job (Viva Timber until whenever). This is now an actual all out conflict between Garden and Galbadia.

Time to call in all those elite mercenaries from their facinating lives fighting against... funguars? What the hell is everyone else doing? Dollet got an armistice as long as they keep sharing their Netflix login with Galbadia. Timber is occupied and Galbadia is tacitly recognized as its ruler. Galbadia is hostile now. Esthar... exists? Maybe? Cetra is a crater. Where are all these goons deployed?

Is Cid and/or NORG so absolutely idiotic that they don't recognize that everyone is just goofing off and padding their time cards and making 10k Gil per mile of futzing around the wilderness or some bar and just acing their quizes to keep it up?

And I just drank too much and realized that. The game writers should have at least hand waved it or something.

"Yeah, all those elite SeeDs? They're in Trabia for some... convention."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You just have to assume that there are major nations that don't show up because they're not relevant. Otherwise you're left with a very empty world.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

The problem though now is that it isn't just Squall and his summer job (Viva Timber until whenever). This is now an actual all out conflict between Garden and Galbadia.

Time to call in all those elite mercenaries from their facinating lives fighting against... funguars? What the hell is everyone else doing? Dollet got an armistice as long as they keep sharing their Netflix login with Galbadia. Timber is occupied and Galbadia is tacitly recognized as its ruler. Galbadia is hostile now. Esthar... exists? Maybe? Cetra is a crater. Where are all these goons deployed?

Is Cid and/or NORG so absolutely idiotic that they don't recognize that everyone is just goofing off and padding their time cards and making 10k Gil per mile of futzing around the wilderness or some bar and just acing their quizes to keep it up?

And I just drank too much and realized that. The game writers should have at least hand waved it or something.

"Yeah, all those elite SeeDs? They're in Trabia for some... convention."

Well NORG was trying to do something about this whole "evil witch that took over a military superpower and is after the Garden" situation but then our heroes kind of killed him. So....it's Cid's fault I guess.

Don't look at me, I voted for NORG.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I hate the two party system.

Idiotic Robin Williams clones or Screaming Gelatinous Jowl Elementals.

Doctor Kadowaki for President of Hover-School.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well NORG was trying to do something about this whole "evil witch that took over a military superpower and is after the Garden" situation but then our heroes kind of killed him. So....it's Cid's fault I guess.

NORG's plan was "Hey Galbadia Garden, kill the sorceress, tia. P.S. don't use anybody from Balamb i.e. where all the SeeDs come from. You know, the elite special forces that would actually stand a chance at killing the sorceress. Don't use any of them. kthxbye"

Edit: Also hey wait a minute. NORG said he told Martine to kill the Sorceress, like it was NORG's idea. But the client was Carraway. So did Carraway contact Balamb Garden for SeeDs to do the assassination, and NORG goes "no no, you don't want SeeDs. Let me hook you up with some incompetent schlubs from Galbadia Garden."?

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 6, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That is probably what happened, yes. NORG's thinking was probably that, if anything went wrong, his precious Garden might get hit by missiles. A crazy, unrealistic fear I know but that was what he thought.

So he had Galbadia Garden do it so that his hands were clean. Only he was outsmarted by Martine who was lucky enough to have some Balamb Garden stooges show up just as he needed them.

Also Balamb Garden is a glorified high school. Galbadia Garden actually looks vaguely like a military academy.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

That's why there aren't a lot of SeeDs in the Garden right now. As for what they usually do, it mentions in the info log that Galbadia tries to invade places semi-regularly, and SeeD gets a fair amount of work stopping that. Besides that, I figure they probably do stuff like monster hunting or security gigs. The world map is definitely pretty empty, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also, Balamb Garden has been kind of literally cut off from everything ever since the missile strike. There's no wireless communication outside of the Dollet tower.

I think you guys are underselling how competent Squall is. He managed to effect the kidnapping of the (fake) president, and was pretty on point about rescuing the real one until Zell mouthed off on national TV. In the Sorceress assassination, while Rinoa was endangering her life and the mission to prove a point, the B Team almost hosed up the job of standing still and pulling a lever, and Irvine was failing to do the one thing he was trained and assigned to do, Squall saves Rinoa, talks Irvine into doing his job, and when things go south, he leaps off a building, plows through a crowd, and tries to finish the job with a sword. Then he's broken out of jail, saves the Garden from missiles, personally saves Cid from NORG, and kills him, ending the Garden Master/Headmaster conflict.

It's pretty standard fare for an RPG protagonist, but with the addendum that everyone else fares as well as a 17-year old actually would when given RPG jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

A chicken in every FUSHURURURURU

Anyway I think the whole discussion of why Squall is being picked to do all this poo poo will become more clear pretty soon. :v:

• Locked thread