Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Ironcast Run #4, Halisi Adoyo piloting the Arundel, Days 14-17

Will the hubris catch up to me, or will this be a winning run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

gonna hack all your nets (part 2)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

Hubris. Hubris never changes.

Pretty sure 1886 was still Queen Victoria.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 3, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Let's Play The Swindle- Part 2: Every little pound counts

So while things started out easily enough, we see now just how easily we can lose our cash and how easily early on it is to be locked out of getting money. Thankfully we do get a few upgrades to help us in our nefarious endeavor, the question becomes now...do we upgrade further or continue into the next zone?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

^^ I'm not too keen on what I've seen of the level generation in this game so far. Let's have a look at the new area as well. What could possibly go wrong? :v:

Mr. Despair posted:

http://tasvideos.org/3080S.html

The death in question, along with a write up on how it happens (the video has a very loud beep in it, be warned)

quote:

• Does not pass Go

I like.

P.S. I also just wanted to thank all the people submitting LPs to this thread again. drat good show.

Munin fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 3, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Munin posted:

^^ I'm not too keen on what I've seen of the level generation in this game so far. Let's have a look at the new area as well. What could possibly go wrong? :v:
Ya know, I try to compare it mentally to something like Spelunky's level design. It has a few set tricks per area, a specific set of enemies, and it works out from there. Sometimes the level seeds in that game are troublesome or nonsensical, so you end up with a small room that's a tiki mask shooting darts at a lone tree. And likewise The Swindle can run into a similar issue; the main difference to me, and what makes it a bit more fun, is that the designers give you more tools and options to get through levels. Teleporting, bombing through geo, or using choosing to hack a door over going through the skylight allow for more variation and decision making when it comes to being inside. It might just seem a bit lackluster right now because I'm lacking in some of these tools, and also because sometimes it'll just throw a random rear end room with a mine and nothing else.

But I will fully admit that the next zone is as far as I've gotten in just mucking about in the game...and that's because the difficulty in what they throw at you goes up a lot. Still I don't mind going there if people want it sooner.

Also I'm not sure how clearly some of the other tools you can unlock are from the video, but two possibly useful abilities I can get early on are a temporary steam cloak I can use a number of times in a level and a special 'bug' I can place on a computer that will auto siphon money out (but can trigger alarms if it's found I think).

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 3, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I wonder what a pound of pound coins are worth.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Nalesh posted:

I wonder what a pound of pound coins are worth.

£47.78 (rounded to £48), as each one is 9.5g. Which makes a certain quote from Pratchett's "Making Money" his usual sharp observational comedy, where he notes that a pound coin (or rather, an Ankh Morpork dollar) is a promise from the bank that they will provide a pound of gold in exchange for that currency. Providing, of course, that they do not, in fact, ask for it. :eng101:

Burn the imaginary standard economy (Oh, and I suppose the Sandcastle, if that's your thing)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jade Star posted:

Oh wow they rebalanced the final bosses gatling weapon to not be outright loving horrendous. I remember that thing doing no damage period and the boss spaming its loving black hole gun every turn.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, both bosses had their rapid fire guns reduced shots and increased damage in the patch that nerfed basically everything but rockets and energy weapons.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Jade Star posted:

Hahaha, I thought this was just another "top hats save the world with SCIENCE!" steam pulp instead of old school, gritty steam punk. But then the game harps on and on about the feelings of uncommunicative rocks while the off-screen deaths of 1,300 people who helped you get one callous line of dialogue ("Yep, they all dead.").

Clearly, the designers of this game want us to ask ourselves, "You know all that petroleum you use? How do you think it makes the dinosaurs feel, huh?"

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Jade Star posted:

Holy gently caress, that was tense. :magical: The Interloper is definitely a boss you need some measure of luck to beat. Look at the amount of damage taken in that one turn where Jade's evasion falls him.

Basically you need a good drive and as many lucky charms as you can strap to your computer. Just cover the drat thing in rabbits' feet.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Holy gently caress, that was tense. :magical: The Interloper is definitely a boss you need some measure of luck to beat. Look at the amount of damage taken in that one turn where Jade's evasion falls him.

Basically you need a good drive and as many lucky charms as you can strap to your computer. Just cover the drat thing in rabbits' feet.

I feel that weapons having to charge one turn after being repaired from 0 should could be an interesting change. As it is, if you break weapons the AI laughs, generates 15 repair and 6/9 ammo on top of the usual 7 energy and ~8 coolant and shoots you up anyway. At least killing shields/drives removes the committed energy.

And yeah, FTL has comparable dodge rates but there are FAR mor shots going out in an average battle (so less variance) and you actually have active and semi-active reliable defences on top of shields and dodges. Here it feels that 2 lucky shots to your drives will outright kill you in a couple turns.

Also the boss's shield is 60 at first layer +10 for additional layers, because apparently killing shields had been judged OP too. I guess we should be thankful the drive is a 10/20/30% one and not a 20/40/60% monstruosity.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 3, 2015

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Roguelike Megathread: Where's my hubris button?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

megane posted:

I need a Hubris button installed in every game I play now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

megane posted:

Not needed; the connection is soldered to be always on.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Then we need a DOUBLE HUBRIS button.

Always go bigger.

Aug 24, 2011

and on day 3, nethack jesus returned from the dead

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, I presume people in this thread are interested in how Roguelikes work. RPS have this excellent article where the creator of Brogue goes through how levels in Brogue are generated and it really shows off the thought and design that went into one of the strongest features of that game:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/28/how-do-roguelikes-generate-levels/

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

fits posted:

We continue on in SLASH'EM in

SLASH'EM Lycanthrope Undead Slayer :woof:
Update #5: Those golems ain't right

Intelligent monsters using dungeon wands. Now that's a whole new kind of hazard.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Let's Play The Swindle- Part 2: Every little pound counts

So while things started out easily enough, we see now just how easily we can lose our cash and how easily early on it is to be locked out of getting money. Thankfully we do get a few upgrades to help us in our nefarious endeavor, the question becomes now...do we upgrade further or continue into the next zone?

The most recent patch has apparently lowered a lot of 'basic skill' costs, also there are enemies later than ruined me financially.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, I think part 2 was made on the latest patch (1.01) but I really didn't notice a price decrease in the moves. And so far, what's ruined me the most money wise was when I suddenly started to get my bank hacked while I was in the middle of a heist. This game is just full of unexpected dickery.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, I think part 2 was made on the latest patch (1.01) but I really didn't notice a price decrease in the moves. And so far, what's ruined me the most money wise was when I suddenly started to get my bank hacked while I was in the middle of a heist. This game is just full of unexpected dickery.

Oh I'm, talking about patch 1.03 that was today: http://steamcommunity.com/games/theswindle/announcements/detail/88170241299909807.

Yeah that is the enemy I was talking about, I was hacked 3 different times on a level and lost so much.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

Oh I'm, talking about patch 1.03 that was today: http://steamcommunity.com/games/theswindle/announcements/detail/88170241299909807.

Yeah that is the enemy I was talking about, I was hacked 3 different times on a level and lost so much.
gently caress, I couldn't imagine having that happen that many times, but I didn't even know there was a newer patch. It makes me super excited though; I do have to agree that some of the starting upgrades were unnecessarily expensive (like $5,000 for bombs was a bit much and took so many days).

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Niggurath posted:

gently caress, I couldn't imagine having that happen that many times, but I didn't even know there was a newer patch. It makes me super excited though; I do have to agree that some of the starting upgrades were unnecessarily expensive (like $5,000 for bombs was a bit much and took so many days).

Bombs is still 5k afaik, the cheaper stuff is the stuff like double jump, movespeed and wallhanging though.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 5, 2015

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

Bombs is still 5k afaik, the cheaper stuff is the stuff like double jump, movespeed and wallhanging though.

Bombs should really be way cheaper than 5k, they're vital in the second area, and the fact that it takes so long to save up for them is horrible.

Also, I'm pretty sure the newest patch broke the hell out of the warehouse district's generator. I played 40 days on the weekend, mostly in the warehouse, and never saw something this bad.

And seriously, I wish it wouldn't consider money that you literally can't access with your toolset as "accessible". The ghost bonus basically stops existing in the second and third area.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, I might do a new update when I get home just to see how bad/good things have become cause I still need enough money for the next area. So that means it could be more flailing around more with bad level seeds.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

The path to power in netHack seems to be chasing a woman around a dungeon in pursuit of sex. Sounds like the [political party/CEO/religious figure {insert as appropriate}] to me!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The path to power in Nethack is in being a min-maxing rules-lawyering pun-making munchkin, technically, though wizards of course do this with aplomb.

Double-fun min-maxing Nethack fact: because the dungeon generates monsters based on the average of your experience level and the dungeon level, one of the fastest and most consistent 'pro' strats is called Digging To Victory, where you put together a bare minimum of survival gear and tunnel your way down rapidly to major goals in the dungeon to minimize the dungeon's threat level relative to your loot. There are slower but much more...thorough paths to trivializing the Dungeon, as well.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, I might do a new update when I get home just to see how bad/good things have become cause I still need enough money for the next area. So that means it could be more flailing around more with bad level seeds.

2 things that you might find helpful:
If you need a little more height to get past a window, try jumping from the side of the wall. For some reason you can get way more height off a wall jump than a standing one a little above. That said, I noticed today that you're considered "on the ground" when you're occupying the same square as the floor, not when you're touching floor, so that might get you a bit more height (will probably end up being patched out)
And you can intentionally set off mines by starting a hack and then running away. You get just enough time to get out of the blast radius, and it's the safest option when you've got a flyer and a mine in a small room. You can take out both at once (and maybe open a handy hole!) if you're lucky.

And the patch isn't all bad! My 360 pad seems way more responsive in menus, and the workbench shows at a glance what you can buy at any given time (icons for upgrades you can't afford are greyed out, which is super nice).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

senae posted:

2 things that you might find helpful:
If you need a little more height to get past a window, try jumping from the side of the wall. For some reason you can get way more height off a wall jump than a standing one a little above. That said, I noticed today that you're considered "on the ground" when you're occupying the same square as the floor, not when you're touching floor, so that might get you a bit more height (will probably end up being patched out)
And you can intentionally set off mines by starting a hack and then running away. You get just enough time to get out of the blast radius, and it's the safest option when you've got a flyer and a mine in a small room. You can take out both at once (and maybe open a handy hole!) if you're lucky.

And the patch isn't all bad! My 360 pad seems way more responsive in menus, and the workbench shows at a glance what you can buy at any given time (icons for upgrades you can't afford are greyed out, which is super nice).
I'll try to keep that in mind, though I've never had much luck running from mines (and boy howdy have I tried cause when I'm not recording my brain seems to shut down in regards to simple directions). I am kinda bummed they fixed the spikes though, I remember falling into some before and being fine, but then dying when I tried to jump out and being super confused.

But I think for my next update I'm going to start from scratch to bum through the slums and save myself some days.

Aug 24, 2011

CheeseThief posted:

The path to power in netHack seems to be chasing a woman around a dungeon in pursuit of sex. Sounds like the [political party/CEO/religious figure {insert as appropriate}] to me!

yeah i'm thinking of reverse genociding some succubi in sokoban so they can't teleport away and using that to hit level 30

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Niggurath posted:

I'll try to keep that in mind, though I've never had much luck running from mines (and boy howdy have I tried cause when I'm not recording my brain seems to shut down in regards to simple directions). I am kinda bummed they fixed the spikes though, I remember falling into some before and being fine, but then dying when I tried to jump out and being super confused.

Can you hit the jump button while you're hacking a mine? Double jump seems like it would be the fastest and easiest way to get you out of the explosion radius.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Niggurath posted:

But I think for my next update I'm going to start from scratch to bum through the slums and save myself some days.

Captain Bravo posted:

Can you hit the jump button while you're hacking a mine? Double jump seems like it would be the fastest and easiest way to get you out of the explosion radius.

Often you can just jump in/over just close enough and then make use of your double jump/momentum to get away in time, I did that when I didn't have time to avoid enemies but needed the hack.

Alternatively buy the detonator, it can be super useful to be able to set them off even at closeish range.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

If you just run the other way, you just barely make it. You get more time from a failed hack than if you trip it (so you can react if you hit the wrong direction, I assume)

Aug 24, 2011

nethack the fourth

boy do i need more spellbooks

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
I'm bad at witty titles :saddowns:

SLASH'EM :woof: Update #6

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

A new part 3 has been made that is hopefully less poo poo! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720568&pagenumber=47#post448672529

So got some good news and bad news regarding my experience with this new patch. The good news is indeed the start of the game is much smoother and more manageable, and an overall fun experience. The ability to get the movement upgrades quicker is amazingly useful and allows me to spend more money of the more fun upgrades and move to new areas sooner; and just the increased money from the first couple of days is great. And honestly, it really shines through in the video (though in the end I don't really make any great progress outside of saving a few days and looking a bit more competent).

The bad news, and I'm not sure if it's just me, but something is super hosed up with wall grabbing. Sometimes my guy wouldn't grab onto walls, sometimes about half way up a wall it would decide to stop jumping or gripping onto walls, and just any number of problems. Seriously just had to scrap like four different recordings because I kept dying over and over to some unexplained wall shenanigans. I've seen a few people on the steam forums mention weird issues with blown up spike blocks still existing or like blown up blocks in general existing, so I'm hoping to get some feedback from the devs with what I ran into....though at this point it's kinda deterred me from playing more until it's fixed cause it just makes the game super frustrating.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 7, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Swindle queston: Is there any way to trigger an alarm while hacking? So far I haven't upgraded my hacking speed and I haven't see any downsides (besides mines)

Fun game. I have just discovered how the metal slugs "attack".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Fat Samurai posted:

Swindle queston: Is there any way to trigger an alarm while hacking? So far I haven't upgraded my hacking speed and I haven't see any downsides (besides mines)

Fun game. I have just discovered how the metal slugs "attack".

I'll just say this: once you've got enough hack_skill to start hacking the security consoles that control the cameras and searchlight drones, make absolutely sure you don't gently caress up said hacks.

Actually, do gently caress it up just once. Just don't do it while you're on a streak.

e: oh, also, in later levels there are money computers that glow red and have a lock symbol on the screen. They're running security programs, and hacking them before you deactivate the security console(s) will automatically trigger the alarm.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 6, 2015

• Locked thread