Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

Does it sell out? I just spent all my monies on Comikaze Expo and Amazon's board games sale.

They have different membership tiers (Red, silver, gold, and platinum). Platinum level already sold out. I think the major difference is whether or not you get a shirt or pins or the ability to go to the breakfast and meet the current cast. Red level is generally always available, but they are closing registration a month before the actual con. My fiancée and I are going. This is my first Morphicon and her fourth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I just had my mind blown when I found out that the guy who played Ransik was also the main villain in Commando. I've been making fun of that character for years!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

I just had my mind blown when I found out that the guy who played Ransik was also the main villain in Commando. I've been making fun of that character for years!

Apparently he was also in one of the Mad Max movies.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, he played Wez, the main leather crazy warboy in Road Warrior. Vernon Wells plays a lot of scary dudes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And that's why Ransik used the Mad Max movie set to his advantage in that one Time Force episode about movies.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And that's why Ransik used the Mad Max movie set to his advantage in that one Time Force episode about movies.

I love the Rumble in the Bronx parody in that episode. Probably one of the best moments of any season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is Vernon Wells pretty much the biggest named actor (That is, had a career going before being on the show) that's ever had a role in Power Rangers then?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

So is Vernon Wells pretty much the biggest named actor (That is, had a career going before being on the show) that's ever had a role in Power Rangers then?

I think so. They usually don't target big name actors otherwise.

I really like TimeForce a lot.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Larryb posted:

Why would a real actor sign on to a tv show for six year olds? Especially one where the pay is poo poo and you have to be in New Zealand for the filming, which involves more running around in front of timed explosions than actual acting?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cliff Racer posted:

Why would a real actor sign on to a tv show for six year olds? Especially one where the pay is poo poo and you have to be in New Zealand for the filming, which involves more running around in front of timed explosions than actual acting?

New Zealand is lovely

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

That depends on if you think Doctor Who is made for kids or not

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Cliff Racer posted:

Time force was Pre-NZ

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

That depends on if you think Doctor Who is made for kids or not

Power Rangers is made for kids. Sorry if this is shocking to you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

Power Rangers is made for kids. Sorry if this is shocking to you.

I

Don't think you read my post correctly

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

I

Don't think you read my post correctly

Doctor Who is made for everyone these days. Power Rangers is made for kids, the fact that certain adults enjoy it is an unintended benefit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

Doctor Who is made for everyone these days. Power Rangers is made for kids, the fact that certain adults enjoy it is an unintended benefit.

Drop by one of the Who threads some time and try saying that.

For the record I was making a joke about that sentiment- more often then not I find people who confuse 'family show' for 'kids show', or just refuse to admit there is a difference.

Trust me, I agree with you on both points.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

mateo360 posted:

Time force was Pre-NZ

Yeah, they still shot around Los Angeles

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Also it depends on whether you count Voice Actors and/or the direction their careers went post PR since Bryan Cranston did a voice or two for Season 2 before Malcom In The Middle made him recognizable and Breaking Bad made him a star, or Johnny Young Bosch who's become a massively successful VA after Power Rangers

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Crossposted from the other Toku thread:

Well, the Ranger Key reveal was much less exciting than I had hoped. The Other Go-Busters team (including Atsushi!) from the Go-Busters vs Go-Busters film, DekaGold, DekaBright, X1 Mask, Hurricane Dark, and apparantly the Mystery Key is Gosei Green.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

GoseiGreen still better not have a helmet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

drrockso20 posted:

Also it depends on whether you count Voice Actors and/or the direction their careers went post PR since Bryan Cranston did a voice or two for Season 2 before Malcom In The Middle made him recognizable and Breaking Bad made him a star, or Johnny Young Bosch who's become a massively successful VA after Power Rangers

He's talking about people who were famous before being on Power Rangers. There's a huge list of people with successful careers after, of course.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I wouldn't call it a huge list.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

I wouldn't call it a huge list.

Yeah, there's some blog whose whole gimmick is "Hey this Power Ranger is in something else!", and iirc for every entry in which it's something you might know, there's a dozen "This actor was Dude #3 in the background of some random sitcom!"

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tae posted:

He's talking about people who were famous before being on Power Rangers. There's a huge list of people with successful careers after, of course.

Anna Hutchison has had a decent career, notably Cabin in the Woods.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The girl that played Summer on RPM is the star of that iZombie show that's supposed to be really good. But it's on the CW, so that might not count.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Dom from Jungle Fury is on Daredevil.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

There's been a few Australian/Kiwi actors post sicne Ninja Storm that have carved out a decent career.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Morby posted:

Dom from Jungle Fury is on Daredevil.

Holy poo poo, you just blew my mind!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So apparently the character descriptions for the casting call of the Power Rangers movie leaked and... it really doesn't look good.
http://collider.com/power-rangers-movie-2017-character-names-descriptions-revealed/

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a smidgen bit leery if they keep the racial makeup the same.

And the cast sounds....honestly as stereotypical as the original group, just with modern REAL TEENS LIKE YOU stereotypes instead of the late 80s early 90s Moral Squad stereotypes we got with MMPR

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'll like it if the kids get to be actual characters and have arcs...far too often in power rangers, the teenager du jour has maybe one tiny bit of character development (that gets rolled back a few episodes later anyway).

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So apparently the character descriptions for the casting call of the Power Rangers movie leaked and... it really doesn't look good.
http://collider.com/power-rangers-movie-2017-character-names-descriptions-revealed/

It sounds fine for what it is. The characters already have way more depth than the original tv show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

jivjov posted:

I'll like it if the kids get to be actual characters and have arcs...far too often in power rangers, the teenager du jour has maybe one tiny bit of character development (that gets rolled back a few episodes later anyway).

I see what you're saying, but

Burkion posted:

I'm a smidgen bit leery if they keep the racial makeup the same.

And the cast sounds....honestly as stereotypical as the original group, just with modern REAL TEENS LIKE YOU stereotypes instead of the late 80s early 90s Moral Squad stereotypes we got with MMPR

Yeah. Like, those paragraphs can be boiled down to "he was a football player but got in an accident and now he's EDGY" "She was popular but now she's EDGY and people may run rumors that she was pregnant" "She moves a lot because her parents and doesn't admit she's lonely" "possibly Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory" "He's a cool black guy but he's poor!"

Seems like it's all a bit tryhard in making them all loners that come together and with that tone in mind I can't help but think of the most recent movie of a team of super heroics where realism was put in and it all tried to be a bit grim and with little fun: Fantastic Four.

Actually these character descriptions make me remember Dragon Ball: Evolution

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 12, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is 6 months a normal amount of lost school time for having an abortion or what? That or maybe we are gearing up for Saban's loss.jpg

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Interested to find out how Jason's leg injury stops him playing sports but still lets him karate up some space monsters. Maybe he faked it to escape the pressure, or maybe something something magic powers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tempo 119 posted:

Interested to find out how Jason's leg injury stops him playing sports but still lets him karate up some space monsters. Maybe he faked it to escape the pressure, or maybe something something magic powers.

One theory I always had about the powers from back in the day was that over time they made the teens super human as well. It'd be why they went from being no match for Putties unmorphed and why Goldar was an unstoppable threat, to stuff they could get into a fist fight with and win much later.

Mind you I highly doubt that was actually a thing and I doubt they'd pursue the same idea here. Though I kind of want Zack to be missing a finger and Billy to be gay, personally. For obvious reasons.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
This talk of teen stereotype teams makes me want to see the Burgerking Kids Club version of Power Rangers.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Section Z posted:

This talk of teen stereotype teams makes me want to see the Burgerking Kids Club version of Power Rangers.

I'm still amazed they got away with calling the handicapped kid "Wheels".

You may notice a certain ethnic group is missing, and you bet your rear end they patched that hole later on with Jazz:

Otherwise they are such a generic group of politically correct stereotypes they would be indiscernible from most normal Power Ranger teams.
The only stock stereotype that's missing is the "Generic white guy". (Kid Vid is obviously the :krad: 6th ranger type that upstages the rest of the team by existing.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I've mentioned this a time or two before, here and there. I am working on getting a comic series started based on Power Rangers, and of course Super Sentai. The title of the book is proposed to be The Lightning Brigade (Or The Lightning Brigade 5, LB5 for short)

I've found an artist who might be up for working on it in two months when his schedule clears, and if he is we'll be attempting to shop it around to various comic companies. It's not a sure thing, as anything could come up, but the artist in question can be found here- http://www.davidfernandezartist.com/ If you look around his work, you'll find he's not shy about doing Sentai/Ranger inspired stuff.

Would you guys care to hear about this project? Tell me how it sounds as the general audience for this kind of thing? If so I'll drop the basics of the plot and some short spoiler free character bios down. If not ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zonekeeper posted:

(Kid Vid is obviously the :krad: 6th ranger type that upstages the rest of the team by existing.)

Cyberpunks don't need moms!

I'm probably going to have to see this movie alone :v: This is the curse of the adult sentai fan.