Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
If I could fit a warhead instead of a satellite into the rocket and then use it to blow up alien nests. It would probably double the number of hours I could put into a playthrough of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

ikanreed posted:

I didn't know anyone was still using it. Sure. I'll do that tonight.

I've tried to connect to ikanreed.net:34197 but it says "invalid IP"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

True factorio :spergin: is leaving the game on over night to fill chests with advanced circuits.

You never wait for things in Factorio. You expand your factory to make more of them faster.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I've tried to connect to ikanreed.net:34197 but it says "invalid IP"

I didn't actually upgrade it because my life has been poo poo and I'm moving today and I've been preparing for that.

Sorry.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Is there any way to restrict what items can go into a chest, a sort of "smart chest" feature? I could have sworn there used to be a way, but now I can only figure out how to limit the number of inserter-writeable slots in a chest, not what items can go into those slots.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Is there any way to restrict what items can go into a chest, a sort of "smart chest" feature? I could have sworn there used to be a way, but now I can only figure out how to limit the number of inserter-writeable slots in a chest, not what items can go into those slots.
You'd need to use smart inserters. They can filter items, or wire them to a smart chest and only put items in when there's less than [desired number]. You can't filter chests like you can hotbar slots and train carriages.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I tried my compact looped-bus design out:

And it turns out it's not that great. :( I mean, it works; stuff goes on the bus when it's needed, and gets taken off downstream of the producer as it should, and there's never much excess on the bus (except in this screenshot, because I accidentally deconstructed the wrong pole and the belt fabricator went nuts). So it does actually accomplish what I wanted to do with it. It's just a pain in the rear end.

The reason it's a pain in the rear end is twofold:
- You can't connect fabricators (or the belt loop) to the circuit network, so each fabricator needs a smart inserter + chest + normal inserter setup for each input ingredient
- You can't express things like "stop when there are no more consumers of this good" using the circuit network, so every time you add or remove a consumer, you need to run around re-tuning all the producers for that item

I think I have to file this under "works in principle but is too awkward to use in practice". It would be a lot easier if there were some sort of "counting inserter" that increments/decrements a signal in the circuit network each time it operates -- that would make it possible to keep track of the number of items on a belt, rather just the number in a chest.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 8, 2015

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

ikanreed posted:

I didn't actually upgrade it because my life has been poo poo and I'm moving today and I've been preparing for that.

Sorry.

I did not upgrade either - I am still using the latest stable alpha 0.11.22.

I was just wondering if the error meant that I manually had to resolve the IP or configure something on my end.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I did not upgrade either - I am still using the latest stable alpha 0.11.22.

I was just wondering if the error meant that I manually had to resolve the IP or configure something on my end.

He meant he didn't upgrade from 0.12.2 to 0.12.3, but who knows what's up with the IP problem.

Edit: Also you should update to 12.x, its just better

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

concise posted:

but who knows what's up with the IP problem.

I figured it out - the feature to resolve domain names to IPs was only added in 0.12.x and I was trying to do it with a 0.11.x client

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Three of us (myself, dred and drone) have been playing an MP game with 12.x since the end of last week. We started it with non-aggressive aliens in order to get a feel for large factories (and for me to see how the game unfolds being new to it) and spread out having a ball. Having researched everything that we could without science pack 4 and having no oil left, we decided it was time. We built tanks and picked a nice patch of oil near some aliens then rolled out to 'do a 'Murca' - liberating the oil and bringing hilarious freedom to the hives.

Is there a list somewhere of all the possible alien types? The little ones and the spitters are easy to run over with a tank but the big fat immobile ones in a hole are a bit tougher to run into. I know evolution is tied to pollution but just wondering how far it goes. There are some pretty large alien settlements out there, do they have a maximum size?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
There's a limit to how big bases will get, but it's a bit fuzzy as to what exactly that is. I've found around 7 spawners is where it stops and you very rarely get more than that.

Biters expand by sending out a group to find a bit of land not too near your stuff or other Biters and then the group all dies and a new base is formed.

Worms tend to spawn in bases, but sometimes can spawn outside of them. There doesn't really seem to be any limit to how many there can be and they seem to ignore the usual evolution rules, because I've got a game with a Spitter base I can't get rid of really near the base because it started with three Medium Worms in it so I've just got to live with it for a while.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Fans posted:

There's a limit to how big bases will get, but it's a bit fuzzy as to what exactly that is. I've found around 7 spawners is where it stops and you very rarely get more than that.

Biters expand by sending out a group to find a bit of land not too near your stuff or other Biters and then the group all dies and a new base is formed.

Worms tend to spawn in bases, but sometimes can spawn outside of them. There doesn't really seem to be any limit to how many there can be and they seem to ignore the usual evolution rules, because I've got a game with a Spitter base I can't get rid of really near the base because it started with three Medium Worms in it so I've just got to live with it for a while.

Spawners are the huts right? We have a couple of hives on the map that appear to have over a dozen of those. I'll count some later tonight when we attempt to clear them out. I found this page which may or may not be up to date but it's a guide at least. We have the big versions of everything and the 500hp on big worms explains why running over them takes off a fair chunk of health ;) They're static though so we have one guy 'pull' all the worms off to a laser turret pack and the others can move up and pound the static worms with tank cannon.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

It's pretty easy to take out worms with poison capsules, just edge into range and throw 4-5 of them in a cluster. It'll wipe out any worms caught within the radius, and maybe kill a few small biters/spitters.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

How long do you usually have before the biters attack? I'm been playing sandbox for the first time, with RSO installed, and I've been slowly expanding -- eight miners, ten steam engines, twenty or so fabricators -- and have yet to be attacked. It's making me nervous.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You won't be attacked until your pollution starts overlapping with the biter bases. Then it's pretty consistent until you clear out that specific base. Also take care that occasionally biters will group up and spawn a new outpost a handful of tiles away from your base, which inevitably puts them inside your smog cloud. It's an uncommon thing but will catch you up if you've been slack on your defenses.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ToxicFrog posted:

How long do you usually have before the biters attack? I'm been playing sandbox for the first time, with RSO installed, and I've been slowly expanding -- eight miners, ten steam engines, twenty or so fabricators -- and have yet to be attacked. It's making me nervous.

They start attacking a while after the pollution (red on the map) hits a base. They absorb pollution and create more and stronger units with it. The deeper the red of the pollution, the more aggressive the growth and response. Scout around your base and check to see if any biter nests are covered by pollution.

Also, miners put out an absurd amount of pollution. It's one of those things that always surprises me early game.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
My low pollution play-through just now is so peaceful to the point of getting boring. I use all solar + accumulators and I max out efficiency modules (they top out at 80%) in all buildings that accept them (with a handful of exception like purple beakers). I'm surrounded by trees and my pollution overlay never gets bright red. I'm not walled in, I just have manually resupplied pill boxes with a single AP gun turret in each spaced around the perimeter. Nothing close to a breach yet, no laser turrets at all.

So yeah, pollution makes a big difference.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Wynand posted:

My low pollution play-through just now is so peaceful to the point of getting boring. I use all solar + accumulators and I max out efficiency modules (they top out at 80%) in all buildings that accept them (with a handful of exception like purple beakers). I'm surrounded by trees and my pollution overlay never gets bright red. I'm not walled in, I just have manually resupplied pill boxes with a single AP gun turret in each spaced around the perimeter. Nothing close to a breach yet, no laser turrets at all.

So yeah, pollution makes a big difference.

Oh right, trees absorb pollution now, don't they.

My base is also surrounding a lake in the middle of a forest, so that probably helps.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Biters won't spawn bases within an area covered by radar. They burn a lot of power, but can drastically cut down on attacks.

I'm not sure if they'll walk through scanned areas to spawn in the dark pockets. I typically go for 100% coverage near my base.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

oxbrain posted:

Biters won't spawn bases within an area covered by radar. They burn a lot of power, but can drastically cut down on attacks.

I'm not sure if they'll walk through scanned areas to spawn in the dark pockets. I typically go for 100% coverage near my base.

Radars also act as beacon for biters becuase wow they hate that poo poo.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Three of us (myself, dred and drone) have been playing an MP game with 12.x since the end of last week.

That sounds awesome. How did you set it up? What time zone are you three?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

Radars also act as beacon for biters becuase wow they hate that poo poo.

For that matter, does anyone know how biters choose what to attack? They'll merrily run past logistics infrastructure outside the factory (pylons, tracks, belts) while equally happily trashing the same things within it. I figured they would head toward the greatest concentration of pollution and start destroying once something gets in their way or attacks them, but then they'll go for relatively inert radars over more polluting items.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tenebrais posted:

For that matter, does anyone know how biters choose what to attack? They'll merrily run past logistics infrastructure outside the factory (pylons, tracks, belts) while equally happily trashing the same things within it. I figured they would head toward the greatest concentration of pollution and start destroying once something gets in their way or attacks them, but then they'll go for relatively inert radars over more polluting items.

Objects from the military tab(not walls though) are priority targets for biters, but their general target location they'll head towards, if they aren't thus distracted is determined by pollution.

My impression is that it's based on what source causes pollution to reach them, not biggest source.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Objects from the military tab(not walls though) are priority targets for biters, but their general target location they'll head towards, if they aren't thus distracted is determined by pollution.

My impression is that it's based on what source causes pollution to reach them, not biggest source.

Yeah, biters will race to the biggest point of pollution but then they'll attack seemingly at random. I've seen them ignore mining drills and destroy belts instead, which cause zero pollution.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
85 hours in, I have basically all research complete, able to output about 250 MW of power, and I can produce about a dozen things at the excessive rate of 1 a minute.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tenebrais posted:

Biters will charge towards a source of pollution and when roughly in the area will indiscriminately break everything nearby.

If on the way to the source of pollution they encounter a turret, logistics robot or the player they will stop and attack that instead.

When a biter encounters a wall most will try to go around it, but a few will attack it instead. This is to stop you making easy killboxes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm considering using train cars to make a materials bus now, since they can hold a shitload of stuff and can have filters installed. Either one car moving back and forth and attaching to each set of factories in turn, or a set of stationary cars linked with inserters. The latter would have lower latency but I worry about the inserters getting "stuck" on, say, copper plates, and just cycling those around endlessly without touching the other materials.

I'm also considering dipping my toes into Factorio modding and writing a "counting inserter", which would be about a thousand times more useful than a smart inserter for applications like this -- being able to keep track of the number of items on the belt would be huge.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Fans posted:

When the map is generated, biter bases are as well, and they get bigger and "richer" the further out from the origin you go. "Richness" in terms of biter bases basically means worm size. This is why you get big worms for no pollution-related reason. This is what the richness means for biter bases in the map gen settings.

oxbrain posted:

When biters select a new settlement, they have a few constraints. They place bases within a certain range (with min and max constraints) of their existing bases, and they have a minimum distance from player-placed objects (which happens to coincide with the radar active scan radius). This is why "victory poles" are a strategy; when you wipe out a base, place a chest or wall or belt or electric pole or... whatever, to prevent them from resettling the same area. For any distant victory markers, choose something innocuous (not radar) so biters passing by won't aggro on it. It's kinda cheaty (and a lot of people seem to do it), but you can display which map chunks are valid targets for expansion using debug views.

This setting can be tweaked, if you want a more aggressive (or peaceful) experience.
code:
/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.min_player_base_distance = 0
(If you set it to 0 or 1, you'll need to guard your rail lines.)

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh right, trees absorb pollution now, don't they.

My base is also surrounding a lake in the middle of a forest, so that probably helps.

Trees have always absorbed pollution (well, since 0.9.8 anyway). It used to be that each map chunk reduced pollution by 0.55 pollution/second, and trees each reduced it by about 0.03/second. This has changed. Sickly trees (damaged by pollution) *may* have lessened pollution absorption (I'm honestly not sure), but chunks no longer reduce by a constant 0.55. Instead, it's based on terrain. A chunk of all water ends up absorbing slightly more than the old 0.55 value, but land chunks are less effective. Grass is best, sand is worst.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Shintaro posted:

When the map is generated, biter bases are as well, and they get bigger and "richer" the further out from the origin you go. "Richness" in terms of biter bases basically means worm size. This is why you get big worms for no pollution-related reason. This is what the richness means for biter bases in the map gen settings.

When biters select a new settlement, they have a few constraints. They place bases within a certain range (with min and max constraints) of their existing bases, and they have a minimum distance from player-placed objects (which happens to coincide with the radar active scan radius). This is why "victory poles" are a strategy; when you wipe out a base, place a chest or wall or belt or electric pole or... whatever, to prevent them from resettling the same area. For any distant victory markers, choose something innocuous (not radar) so biters passing by won't aggro on it. It's kinda cheaty (and a lot of people seem to do it), but you can display which map chunks are valid targets for expansion using debug views.

This setting can be tweaked, if you want a more aggressive (or peaceful) experience.
code:
/c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.min_player_base_distance = 0
(If you set it to 0 or 1, you'll need to guard your rail lines.)

Trees have always absorbed pollution (well, since 0.9.8 anyway). It used to be that each map chunk reduced pollution by 0.55 pollution/second, and trees each reduced it by about 0.03/second. This has changed. Sickly trees (damaged by pollution) *may* have lessened pollution absorption (I'm honestly not sure), but chunks no longer reduce by a constant 0.55. Instead, it's based on terrain. A chunk of all water ends up absorbing slightly more than the old 0.55 value, but land chunks are less effective. Grass is best, sand is worst.

All forms of paving absorb no pollution, but you walk faster so that's an easy choice.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

LLSix posted:

All forms of paving absorb no pollution, but you walk faster so that's an easy choice.

Maybe they could add pavement made out of ground up bitters that then absorb pollution.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shintaro posted:

Aah. Well, this is my current base:

On the shore of a lake, in the middle of a forest. So it's pretty much the best setup possible for absorbing pollution.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Onkel Hedwig posted:

That sounds awesome. How did you set it up? What time zone are you three?

Dred set it up, stock this time and we connect to him. We're researching rocket silo after today's efforts and once we 'finish' the game with a launch we'll think about a modded game. We're all in the UK and generally play sometime between 7pm and midnight. I made a blueprint for a 50 laser turret array with walls round for ease of deployment. We drive up to a hive, plonk down the turret farm while dred hooks up power lines then he gasses them and I gun the spawners. We cleared a good section of map but there are just so drat many hives and they seem to be getting larger plus denser together as we move out (like people have explained above). It's the normal richness so if you're planning a wide spread factory, you may want to tone them down a bit or you'll spend many hours doing nothing but clearing worms.

Oops, forgot to hit submit last night. Have a bonus 'worm massacre' picture.

ToxicFrog posted:

I checked the time on another save when I was playing on default settings (except very big starting area) and the biters started turning up in numbers after 6 hours played.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I have a spot where biters want to start a base inside my radar coverage (green circles indicate chunks that biters can settle in, turned on in debug options)

Also, yeah, biters don't like radars:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Dred set it up, stock this time and we connect to him. We're researching rocket silo after today's efforts and once we 'finish' the game with a launch we'll think about a modded game. We're all in the UK and generally play sometime between 7pm and midnight. I made a blueprint for a 50 laser turret array with walls round for ease of deployment. We drive up to a hive, plonk down the turret farm while dred hooks up power lines then he gasses them and I gun the spawners. We cleared a good section of map but there are just so drat many hives and they seem to be getting larger plus denser together as we move out (like people have explained above). It's the normal richness so if you're planning a wide spread factory, you may want to tone them down a bit or you'll spend many hours doing nothing but clearing worms.

Oops, forgot to hit submit last night. Have a bonus 'worm massacre' picture.

I checked the time on another save when I was playing on default settings (except very big starting area) and the biters started turning up in numbers after 6 hours played.

Ratzap kept getting mad about my efficiency savings in the refinery layout though, rip. Also dreds initial bus was also terrible because he only ran one line of copper and iron down the middle!! what a clutz haha!!

Also serious note if we do the next map we should probably run with large patches of regular resources but spaced sparsely, it makes it into train fun times where you can't use belts for more than local transportation.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
So I finally got my life in order enough to update my server. I also updated the status page to show the version.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Drone_Fragger posted:

Ratzap kept getting mad about my efficiency savings in the refinery layout though, rip. Also dreds initial bus was also terrible because he only ran one line of copper and iron down the middle!! what a clutz haha!!

Also serious note if we do the next map we should probably run with large patches of regular resources but spaced sparsely, it makes it into train fun times where you can't use belts for more than local transportation.

Efficiency? A huge blob of buildings with masses of pipe overground, bloody inconvenient more like. We've built the silo and set up the rocket bits to be built so end game soon. The next game will probably be like that then with some mods of Dreds choosing and the 4 I picked out.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Ratzap posted:

Efficiency? A huge blob of buildings with masses of pipe overground, bloody inconvenient more like. We've built the silo and set up the rocket bits to be built so end game soon. The next game will probably be like that then with some mods of Dreds choosing and the 4 I picked out.

For reference, the oil refinery:

The minimap for our game:

The oil refinery is everything north of the lake in the screenshot, up to the wall.

Everything else is contained below that, and we're building the rocket now.
So right now, this is the production / consumption graph:

and over the entire game:

One of the neat things I'm quite pleased with in this game is our solid fuel system. currently we're converting everything to petroleum with a single solid fuel factory. If the petroleum backs up, it starts automatically getting turned into solid fuel instead. It does mean that not much solid fuel is generated though, so most stuff still runs on coal.

The same applies to cracking heavy oil -> light oil, it only gets cracked to light oil when heavy oil -> lubricant is backed up.

Dred_furst fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 13, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Why would you care if petroleum us backed up? Just let it sit. It's the hardest resource to acquire in the game, why would you waste it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

It's actually better to make solid fuel with light oil if you intend to use that as a serious fuel source. Converting it to gas is just going to waste significant potential energy.

e:
Solid Fuel takes 2 Heavy Oil, or 1 Light Oil, or 2 Gas.
Heavy can be fracked at 4->3, meaning 4 heavy will end up as 3 solid fuel if converted, versus 2 fuel otherwise.
Light -> Gas is 3->2, meaning you get 1 Solid fuel for every 3 light oil you convert to gas.
So convert heavy to light oil, and never convert up to gas unless you reallllly need the little bit of extra gas.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 13, 2015