Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This thread has got me playing RCT1 seriously for the first time in quite a while, as opposed to my usual schtick of doing the first four or five missions and then stopping. It seems that all the forums discussions, guides and little tricks I've accumulated over the years have made me terrifyingly proficient at this game. It's a nice feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Orv posted:

This thread has got me playing RCT1 seriously for the first time in quite a while, as opposed to my usual schtick of doing the first four or five missions and then stopping. It seems that all the forums discussions, guides and little tricks I've accumulated over the years have made me terrifyingly proficient at this game. It's a nice feeling.

I find I keep reaching the goal in the first year, maintaining it, and then having to sit around for the next 4-5 years waiting for it to finish so I can move onto the next one. Forest Frontiers 4 lyfe yo

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

Samuel Clemens posted:

Some of the things people have done with this game are just insane. I can't find it right now, but I remember someone basically recreated the entire Disneyland in RCT2. Looked incredibly impressive, but I'd rather not know how many hours they had to invest for that.

Yeah some of the stuff is ridiculous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCgBDd7Ftp0

I struggle just to make nice little stations for coasters.

Orv
May 4, 2011
What even the gently caress.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Alabaster White posted:

I find I keep reaching the goal in the first year, maintaining it, and then having to sit around for the next 4-5 years waiting for it to finish so I can move onto the next one. Forest Frontiers 4 lyfe yo

Forest Frontiers is the perfect example of a great starting map for a player. You don't need to worry about landscaping, using different elevations, scenery really, all you need to do is build rides and expand from that small beginning area the game gives you. It also acts like a tutorial. You can make mistakes in building, but the game basically tells you in that map that it's okay to not play "perfectly".

The maps that follow are a little more complicated, but unlike RCT2, they gradually increase in difficulty if you start from the first map and go on. This was a great decision to have the player follow a 'suggested' order of the maps to play. The problem with RCT2 maps is that they have no suggested order. If you assume that the first map in beginner is the map you should try to play the game as first, you're going to be in one hell of a surprise.

I guess that is why RCT3 went with the process of having a map that gets slightly harder for each objective, and they also have a "Set" order to lead the player among a path they want them to take, rather than just thrusting the entire game in their hands.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like the look of simple parks in RCT with ordinary scenery. I never cared much for the time twiter stuff and all that excessive crap. Just a nice ghost house with a ferris wheel, merry go round with silly music and a ladybug coaster has that look of a rural British amusement park. I like the graphics of Transport Tycoon for the same reason, all very Postman Pat.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The RCT1 scenarios for RCT2 are pretty sweet. One problem though, is that I don't know their names by heart and there isn't any indication in game. I also don't know which order they go in but that's not as big of a deal.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think everyone remembers facing Dinky Park for the first time.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Wooper posted:

The RCT1 scenarios for RCT2 are pretty sweet. One problem though, is that I don't know their names by heart and there isn't any indication in game. I also don't know which order they go in but that's not as big of a deal.
Weren't the names different between the US/Eur versions of the game too?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Here you go. Forgot to provide a link of where to grab them.

http://forums.rctspace.com/index.php?showtopic=26479

These ones are more "complete" than the other ones that might be floating around, I guess. They just didn't change the build menu for Loopy Landscapes

Anyways, only a couple of the parks names were changed.

Katie's World->Katie's Dreamland
Dinky Park->Pokey Park
Aqua Park->White Water Park
Mothball Mountain->Mystic Mountain
Big Pier->Paradise Pier
Big Pier 2->Paradise Pier 2

Of course Corkscrew Follies was renamed Added Attractions.

And the converted maps work in OpenRCT2. So do the UCES maps. And the objects included in the UCES.

Let's just say that OpenRCT2 made me play the game again. Maximized windowed mode is so worth it.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 5, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shibawanko posted:

I like the look of simple parks in RCT with ordinary scenery. I never cared much for the time twiter stuff and all that excessive crap. Just a nice ghost house with a ferris wheel, merry go round with silly music and a ladybug coaster has that look of a rural British amusement park. I like the graphics of Transport Tycoon for the same reason, all very Postman Pat.

I didn't like RCT2 as much for this reason. I appreciated the little tweaks and additional rides, but then there's like three dozen different coasters that as far as I can tell are identical except for the kind of car, and the scenarios weren't as fun for me. Whenever I replay RCT I always go back to 1 over 2. Especially now since that's the one I bought on Steam. :v:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't like RCT2 as much for this reason. I appreciated the little tweaks and additional rides, but then there's like three dozen different coasters that as far as I can tell are identical except for the kind of car, and the scenarios weren't as fun for me. Whenever I replay RCT I always go back to 1 over 2. Especially now since that's the one I bought on Steam. :v:

Yeah I still enjoyed the basic scenery stuff, like it's fun to build a jungle with a huge water slide, but some of that other poo poo basically has nothing to do with rollercoasters.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm enjoying the RCT scenarios in OpenRCT2 even though scenarios lock me out of changing entry prices or ride prices. I can manage for now, but I'm worried later scenarios will be too hard since I remember them being difficult already.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

There is a cheat available called 'Unlock all prices' in OpenRCT2. Using that will let you charge for peeps to enter the park as well as to charge for rides.

I believe that they will add playing RCT1 scenarios, instead of just opening them in the scenario editor, which causes some issues if you try to play that converted scenario. It will probably also come out when they actually have the prices for both parks and rides triggered in the scenario, rather than needing to be done via cheat. And by playing, I mean playing the actual ones from RCT1 and not just the converted ones. So the research and all that being enabled.

Now, if you want even more maps over the converted RCT1 ones, and obviously UCES exists, there's one more option.

VJ's scenario pack. I grabbed it, and they are pretty standard maps. But more building is always good.

http://rct.wikia.com/wiki/VJ%27s_scenario_pack is for the wiki page.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 7, 2015

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Do any of you know how scenery affects ride ratings? I know that if you put scenery near a ride, it improves its stats, but I can't find any details anywhere. Like, how close should it be, should it all be from the same theme, does the value of the items matter, and so on..

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Do any of you know how scenery affects ride ratings? I know that if you put scenery near a ride, it improves its stats, but I can't find any details anywhere. Like, how close should it be, should it all be from the same theme, does the value of the items matter, and so on..

I don't think anyone but Chris Sawyer really knows. Just jam poo poo directly next to rides and make it look cool for your own satisfaction.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Jam things within five tiles, itll make a difference up to 48 props apparently but if you're making your coaster Wicked Sweet it'll have more than that anyways. It doesn't matter what they are or where, I've experimented just shoving 50 barrels next to a small part of the track once and it caps out the same.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shibawanko posted:

Tunnels = Excitement, basically any time the ride goes past poo poo at speed it adds excitement. At least that's how the original tutorial put it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I love this series even if I'm complete rubbish at building coasters.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Starhawk64 posted:

I love this series even if I'm complete rubbish at building coasters.

It's okay, I'm watching nerdcubed and he managed to make a coaster with an excitement rating of 0.22 and an intensity rating of 17. Personally I think anything that intense is going to be at least a *little* exciting. 'Oh look, my guts just flew out of my mouth as we went round a corner, snore'.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HopperUK posted:

It's okay, I'm watching nerdcubed and he managed to make a coaster with an excitement rating of 0.22 and an intensity rating of 17. Personally I think anything that intense is going to be at least a *little* exciting. 'Oh look, my guts just flew out of my mouth as we went round a corner, snore'.

To get an intensity of 17 in the RCT engine you have to be doing Gs that will jelly people, so you ain't seeing poo poo.

E: I want to say 15 is the lethal boundary for intensity, but it's been a while since I made something that bad.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 8, 2015

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I had a ride that was pulling 20 gs.
Immediately after it would pull -5 gs.

Why wouldn't anyone ride my death coaster?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

IAmTheRad posted:

I had a ride that was pulling 20 gs.
Immediately after it would pull -5 gs.

Why wouldn't anyone ride my death coaster?

You forgot to add the on ride photo silly.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Have you tried adding scenery or making it go underground? It adds excitement.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Dude when you come round that corner if you are looking left you can totally see the Garbage Bin on the path, best loving ride ever.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:neckbeard: Yesss this game is the goddamn best, definitely looking in to OpenRCT

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

OpenRCT works perfectly and is a lot of fun, especially after downloading some scenario pack that adds the RCT1 scenarios. Only issues I've come across so far is that I can't change the price of pictures taken on rollercoasters, but that's a very minor problem.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So how do you do Mobius coasters in RCT1? They show up in the LP but the game won't let me out two stations on one ride.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

AlphaKretin posted:

So how do you do Mobius coasters in RCT1? They show up in the LP but the game won't let me out two stations on one ride.

How is it stopping you, are you not able to get a station platform as part of the special track elements (like on-ride photo or whatever) on any coasters? Are you unable to place exits or entrances?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

When I try to test or open it, it says "cannot have multiple stations in this mode" or something.

...and I realise some twenty hours after I first have the problem that it started life as duelling coasters and that maybe synchronisation shouldn't be on. :downs: Never mind

E: Never never mind, it was the powered launch, there goes my whole design. :saddowns:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 10, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Oh man, this game is so great, especially when paired up with the Control Volume brand naming scheme, I was having a laugh with Funtopia today:

First the main attractions (admittedly, Ron and Ayn's is a pre-existing build, but I won't pass up any very high excitement ratings where I find them!):

I have trouble keeping the dueling roller-coaster's intensity under control, still proper incentivisation have made them some of the most popular attractions in the park!

A tribute to the USA's beginnings:

Next are the more restrained rides, including a truly terrifying haunted house, the truest happiness that can be found on earth and something to leave my pawns confused, exhausted and vulnerable to mental control make sure everyone can fully partake in the Church's customs and activities:

a particularly hopeless maze awaits those who reject the programme:

Our methods may be unpopular with so-called 'Medical professionals' but their success can't be denied by our members, we just require a small fee for church expenses...

Not even we can make excuses for this particularly wonky house:

Finally the food court has all of your church-approved needs covered:

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 10, 2015

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I see a lot of vomit on those paths, I don't know if our Lord L. Ron Hubbard would approve!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I like how you can tell what order the coasters were built in by how they were built around things

also lol @ the quadruple ending helix on that wooden coaster, I guess that's one way to end a ride in a tight spot

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I see a lot of vomit on those paths, I don't know if our Lord L. Ron Hubbard would approve!

Acceptable outcome in the thetan exorcising process (I noticed that some of benches were broken near the end and I didn't have enough handymen so I tried to sort that our near the end).

Also I was disappointed there was no Mexican food place to build which I could call Taco Siege :(

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SURPRISE
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rollercoaster-tycoon-3/id1008692660?mt=8

Frontier ported RCT3 to IoS with no in app purchases and a new UI

GET IN SON

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

SURPRISE
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rollercoaster-tycoon-3/id1008692660?mt=8

Frontier ported RCT3 to IoS with no in app purchases and a new UI

GET IN SON

:eyepop:

Oh how I wish Sawyer still had the RCT rights and could port the originals to anything and everything.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

So, Frontier knocked it out of the park with their "inferior" version of Rollercoaster Tycoon with no microtransactions or waiting timers. Did Atari lose the rights or something?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Atari, in their dumbness, signed away the rights to RCT3 and "RollerCoaster Tycoon 3" to Frontier.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
wow this really is just a 100% straight port other than the UI too

framerate is a little choppy on iPhone 5S, maybe 20ish FPS on the on-coaster camera in the starting scenario? seems playable enough. I have a feeling the UI is a lot more comfortable on an iPhone 6/6+ though

e: I can't find a save button, maybe it auto-saves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

wow this really is just a 100% straight port other than the UI too

framerate is a little choppy on iPhone 5S, maybe 20ish FPS on the on-coaster camera in the starting scenario? seems playable enough. I have a feeling the UI is a lot more comfortable on an iPhone 6/6+ though

RCT3 had some pretty bad preformance issues that could only get worse when crammed onto a phone chip. It's probably fine until you start making a sizable park.

Someone please port OpenRCT2 to android TIA.