Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't mind it because it feels slightly more immersive than "nanosyringe #34" or "generic medikit." It'd be better if you could just pick up the stuff and take it with you instead of eating oreos off the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo, but what can you do?

In a game where magic already exists, it would make way more sense to have magical healing items than food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tiggum posted:

In a game where magic already exists, it would make way more sense to have magical healing items than food.

It's a game where a city is held in the air via steampunk temporal stasis machines and you have a boss fight against Schrodinger's Stepmom, we're beyond the realm of making sense and well into the land of quaint and atmospheric. A magical vial of health potion might make more sense, but a bag of chips and a pack of cigarettes has more flair. Who doesn't feel a little better after a light snack or a quick smoke?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Tiggum posted:

It would also give them an easy way to include more than two guns at a time. Magic pockets.

Mind you, I'm still amazed at the lack of a manual save function, some people apparently have no problem with the autosave. I am not one of them.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bushmaori posted:

It would also give them an easy way to include more than two guns at a time. Magic pockets.

Mind you, I'm still amazed at the lack of a manual save function, some people apparently have no problem with the autosave. I am not one of them.

This is the entire reason I won't replay it. Sometimes I want to quit and I can't, because otherwise I'll lose a crapton of progress until I find a checkpoint.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Somfin posted:

I thought that the ending of Bioshock Infinite was really good.

I didn't like that I was still scavenging. Like, can we stop with the food healing as a thing in games? Seriously?

We're living in all these supertech alternate pasts and in each one I'm scarfing down snackycakes to try to keep my energy up, why is that still a thing?

It made at least some sense in the original game, since that was a survival situation. After that though...I'm not sure which is more ridiculous - Booker hoovering up all that delicious garbage cake as he stumbles through Columbia like a hobo or Delta finding a way to stuff his face with potted meat while in a Big Daddy suit.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I thought the first Bioshock had a great story because the entire plotline worked based on the fact that players will do whatever they're told to do in a video game. That's something no other medium can do and I thought Bioshock did it very well. I liked Infinite's story a lot for many reasons similarly I liked to imagine everytime I died as that version of Booker failing. 2's plot OTOH was shoehorned in badly and the drill sucked dicks in combat.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 12:12 on Aug 9, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

I thought the first Bioshock had a great story because the entire plotline worked based on the fact that players will do whatever they're told to do in a video game. That's something no other medium can do and I thought Bioshock did it very well. I liked Infinite's story a lot for many reasons similarly I liked to imagine everytime I died as that version of Booker failing. 2's plot OTOH was shoehorned in badly and the drill sucked dicks in combat.

Infinite's story had the same problem that Transistor's did, which is that it kinda confused being clever for being meaningful. The programming jokes about constants and variables, the tiny snatches of unexplained story basically inserted into the game so that players could hook their wild theories to something, the characters taking a bit too much time to explain why the really cool thing that just happened was really cool. And in both cases the storytelling chops were there to just about pull it back into something worthwhile at the end.

Meanwhile Bioshock and Bastion pulled off having a good story by both being a lot simpler. Things got hosed, I, the voice in your head, can remember when they were better, go here and do this, whoops turns out I'm actually massively biased and was lying to you about a few important things, things go way wrong, gain massive power, save the helpless thing, climax, denouement. Players end up knowing almost everything important about the setting and have these really strange characters with strong personalities to talk about instead, rather than ~*mysterious plot points*~ to build fan theories around.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Fucken drill dash more than made up for the lovely normal drill attack.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I thought the first Bioshock had a great story because the entire plotline worked based on the fact that players will do whatever they're told to do in a video game. That's something no other medium can do and I thought Bioshock did it very well.
I think that would have worked in a non-linear game. Like, I dunno, if completing the main quest in an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game actually turned out to be a really bad idea, and the villain laughs at you and asks why you did it except that it seemed like you were supposed to.

In a game that's 100% linear, I don't think it really worked because... you're not even so much doing as you're told as literally doing the only thing it's possible for you to do in the game. Ryan might as well have put you at the end of one short, empty corridor, said "heh, bet you're going to walk down my corridor" and then when you shuffle down it he goes "my JOKE corridor... that I built for a CLOWN at the CIRCUS!" and gives you a swirly. I don't think commenting on player agency works in a game that, by design, puts heavy limitations on player agency and offers no real opportunities for divergent gameplay.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

As far as I can tell, there are no games that let you build vehicles from scrap or attach bits and bobs to a school bus and drive over monsters. I know the Mad Max game is coming out but it might be poo poo. APB orgininally said there would be themed variants of the districts where you could earn special or cosmetic items. One such theme was a PvE district that was everyone vs. a city of zombies. You could earn bloodied and rusted scrap armor and weapons.
Never happened and the game is practically dead.

If you're okay with an unfinished roguelike, then Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is exactly this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you're not even so much doing as you're told as literally doing the only thing it's possible for you to do in the game
That's entirely the point though. It's not really a very deep comment on player agency, just taking a design feature of video games that's usually glossed over and involving it in the big plot twist in a pretty clever way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I thought the first Bioshock had a great story because the entire plotline worked based on the fact that players will do whatever they're told to do in a video game.
I never got very far in that game, but it seemed to make sense to do what the guy tells you in the bits I did play. What didn't make sense was the stuff you did without being told, like getting into the bathysphere in the first place, or when you find syringes of mysterious colourful liquids just jamming them straight into your arm. Doing what the guy said made sense because you didn't know where you were or what was going on, and here's this guy offering guidance that seems reasonable and applicable. Maybe there's an explanation for the other stuff later on, but at that point in the game you seem to just be playing as a complete nutcase who does stupid things for no reason.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

In a game that's 100% linear, I don't think it really worked because... you're not even so much doing as you're told as literally doing the only thing it's possible for you to do in the game. Ryan might as well have put you at the end of one short, empty corridor, said "heh, bet you're going to walk down my corridor" and then when you shuffle down it he goes "my JOKE corridor... that I built for a CLOWN at the CIRCUS!" and gives you a swirly. I don't think commenting on player agency works in a game that, by design, puts heavy limitations on player agency and offers no real opportunities for divergent gameplay.
AKA why Spec Ops: The Line is dumb.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

I never got very far in that game, but it seemed to make sense to do what the guy tells you in the bits I did play. What didn't make sense was the stuff you did without being told, like getting into the bathysphere in the first place, or when you find syringes of mysterious colourful liquids just jamming them straight into your arm. Doing what the guy said made sense because you didn't know where you were or what was going on, and here's this guy offering guidance that seems reasonable and applicable. Maybe there's an explanation for the other stuff later on, but at that point in the game you seem to just be playing as a complete nutcase who does stupid things for no reason.

Go back and finish the game, would you kindly? I think you'd get a kick out of it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Go back and finish the game, would you kindly? I think you'd get a kick out of it.

No. I didn't like it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Yes, that's the worst they show and definitely not the wall with bloody scalps hanging on it.

But IIRC there are like three, and all the bodies are of soldiers. It's not exactly nice, but on the other hand, slavers.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If I directed Bioshock Infinite I would put in a game-mechanic whereby the more random snacks you eat, the fatter you become. You'll run slower, you'll jump lower, and your fingers would become too fat to operate any handguns.

This is un-American.

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Aug 9, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

No. I didn't like it.

I had the same experience. It felt like it started off trying to be a horror/FPS, but as soon as I did the first Unreal Tournament style respawn, it became a lame "Enemy spawns out of nowhere" fps

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tiggum posted:

AKA why Spec Ops: The Line is dumb.

I believe you will find that Spec Ops: The Line is one of the greatest games of the last decade. So powerful.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think that would have worked in a non-linear game. Like, I dunno, if completing the main quest in an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game actually turned out to be a really bad idea, and the villain laughs at you and asks why you did it except that it seemed like you were supposed to.

I don't know. If you did that, the game goes from a pointed commentary to, well just going 'gently caress you for not knowing how to game right!' at approximately half the players in the best of times . Cause at that point, you either have a divergent story where the game's most effective story beat is nullified, or it's railroaded to all hell and the criticism turns to the pointlessness of choice. Plus, the narrative (up to a point) backs up the general lack of agency as a result of the protagonist's brainwashing. He's being told his route to salvation and is unable to deviate from it because, well 'a slave obeys'. Then you defeat Ryan and that kinda goes down the toilet, and the general pacing of the narrative is ruined, and then I never finished it myself. But still, because it's a crafted crafted linear experience the climatic moment hit hard and resonated.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

oldpainless posted:

I believe you will find that Spec Ops: The Line is one of the greatest games of the last decade. So powerful.

I did all of the achievements in the game, including beating it on the highest difficulty. It is super loving hard, and every few deaths it does this passive-aggressive 'hey buddy wanna go to a lower difficulty maybe?' message. I still came out of it enjoying the game, so there's at least something to it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Red Minjo posted:

I did all of the achievements in the game, including beating it on the highest difficulty. It is super loving hard, and every few deaths it does this passive-aggressive 'hey buddy wanna go to a lower difficulty maybe?' message. I still came out of it enjoying the game, so there's at least something to it.

I never played it actually.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

oldpainless posted:

I never played it actually.

This is actually how you get the most enjoyment out of Spec Ops: The Line

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I knew your post was sarcastic, yeah.

And speaking of games that I did all of the achievements for but have a small problem with, there's Akiba's Trip. I don't really have a way of telling if it is my computer being bad and slow or the game actual having pretty bad lag on some inputs, but I was never able to dodge out of the way of the really obvious guard-breaker moves. That and the fact that the grabs come out super slow when not done during a combo resulted in me taking a lot of hits.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Red Minjo posted:

Psyche, I did play it and I beat it. You are too easy bro.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

oldpainless posted:

Psyche, I did play it and I beat it. You are too easy bro.

woah

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The final infected fight in Salt Lake City in The Last of Us is super pointless. It just seems like it is there because someone decided that it had been long enough between combat areas.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

muscles like this? posted:

The final infected fight in Salt Lake City in The Last of Us is super pointless. It just seems like it is there because someone decided that it had been long enough between combat areas.

Wasn't it used as an excuse to separate Joel and Ellen Page for the hospital sequence?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I find it unbelievable that there are people who play vodeogames in this day and age who don't know the big Bioshock twist.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Esroc posted:

Wasn't it used as an excuse to separate Joel and Ellen Page for the hospital sequence?

Nah, a bus falls and Ellen Page can't swim.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I haven't finished any Ken Levine game because they all seem to hinge around big plot twists.

edit: Wait I did finish Bioshock Infinite, so uhh. Plot twist suck though and tend to kill my enjoyment of a story.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I liked Bioshock because it felt like they actually made some effort to make the areas seem like actual apartment blocks/hospitals/theater districts and etc. It wasn't so linear it felt like your typical corridor shooter, and it wasn't so nonlinear it lacked direction. Infinite was pretty much just a corridor shooter. Infinite felt super stripped down compared to Bioshock. Your tools were less versatile, the game felt smaller and it had that whole stupid 2 guns at a time mechanic.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rapture was good because it looked like it was once a nice place, Columbia too. Stuff like Dead Space is hard to care about the 'downfall' when the Ishimura looks like it'd be a sterile place even when it wasn't being skull hosed my necromorphs. Then in DS2 it seemed like every second area was a school or kids bedroom which laid it on too thickly. Rapture is probably my favourite video game setting, it's so well designed artistically.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

In a game that's 100% linear, I don't think it really worked because... you're not even so much doing as you're told as literally doing the only thing it's possible for you to do in the game. Ryan might as well have put you at the end of one short, empty corridor, said "heh, bet you're going to walk down my corridor" and then when you shuffle down it he goes "my JOKE corridor... that I built for a CLOWN at the CIRCUS!"

Yeah i was gonna say.

Portal did this pretty well. If you follow all instructions you'll die in the "cake oven" room; it really is 100% on you to notice that there's something else you can do.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
System shock 2 > all of your stupid 'shocks so play that and never waste your breath again on the lovely watered down bioFucks.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Bioshit: infantile

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Red Minjo posted:

And speaking of games that I did all of the achievements for but have a small problem with, there's Akiba's Trip. I don't really have a way of telling if it is my computer being bad and slow or the game actual having pretty bad lag on some inputs, but I was never able to dodge out of the way of the really obvious guard-breaker moves. That and the fact that the grabs come out super slow when not done during a combo resulted in me taking a lot of hits.

You did all the achievements for the anime game with nudity in the tags about forcibly stripping anime vampires?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Infinite was good and like 90% of the complaints about its story hinge on people completely misunderstanding the basic plot beats and thematic elements, so you get things like people complaining that the game said the good guys were as bad as the bad guys when it was really about how Booker is a terrible person and his influence corrupted them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Red Minjo posted:

They assumed no-one would notice the lag because no-one would ever be playing the game with both hands on the controls.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

As far as the Vox Populi in Bioshock: Infinite are concerned, I don't understand why people keep going on about the game forcing 'the truth is in the middle' down our throats, as if it's historically unprecedented for a revolution to derail, especially one that is violent to begin with. I would say the general outcome itself was about par for the course. One thing that's admittedly stupid is how they immedately turn on Booker because ??? Even Stalin waited some time before eliminating his old comrades. The forced symmetry in that regard is dumb, I do agree with that part.

SiKboy posted:

They assumed no-one would notice the lag because no-one would ever be playing the game with both hands on the controls.

Tagline is Undead & Undressed lol

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Aug 10, 2015

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Phlegmish posted:

As far as the Vox Populi in Bioshock: Infinite are concerned, I don't understand why people keep going on about the game forcing 'the truth is in the middle' down our throats, as if it's historically unprecedented for a revolution to derail, especially one that is violent to begin with. I would say the general outcome itself was about par for the course. One thing that's admittedly stupid is how they immedately turn on Booker because ??? Even Stalin waited some time before eliminating his old comrades. The forced symmetry in that regard is dumb, I do agree with that part.

Tagline is Undead & Undressed lol

He also handilly avoided pointing out that it is spelled "Akiba'strip".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Phlegmish posted:

They turn on Booker because their universe's Booker had been publicly killed and so they thought he was an impersonator trying to slander the older Booker's name. It's part of an unskippable dialogue with Daisy Fitzroy that ends with the Vox Populi turning hostile on you, I don't know how anybody could miss it.