Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I played my first pickup game as a goalie last night and I'm loving addicted. I was letting shots in left and right, but it was so fun guarding the net. Got a couple of good saves though playing against some decent people.

gently caress I want to get back out there today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

iirc they were 75ish each. We got names and numbers. We were the best-looking team with a -60 goal differential.

That's reasonable'ish I guess. I feel like tonight's the night I find out how many people are defecting/entering the league "draft"/jumping to another div. So who knows if we'll need new jerseys hah

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Vargatron posted:

I played my first pickup game as a goalie last night

Bless your god drat heart

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

75 dollar jerseys are insane imo

Plain black and plain white with a number on each and you're a goddamn saint

Single screen logo on front if you must.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

All 6 or so of the league teams I've played on in the past 5 years have all had $75-100 jerseys.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

Plain black and plain white with a number on each and you're a goddamn saint

Single screen logo on front if you must.

deep v-necks with an appropriately ironic font, right? How do you keep your handlebar mustache and gauged ears showing well for everyone to see underneath your helmet and cage? :v:

(We're already black n white but have to have home and away per the league next season)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Black and white are home and away what league wouldn't let you have black and white as your jersey colors. When one team has dark you have white. When one has white you have black. There's no possible conflict or confusion.

Don't worry you can still put your dumb pun as a team name on the front if you must. you'll just save a bunch if it's one color.

And do u even drop in bro, aint nobody you describe has a plain white jersey

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

doctor 7 posted:

Bless your god drat heart

Honest to god I thought it was going to be an open practice session and it turned out to be a pickup game with like 25 people. I'm sure I was the awfullest fish, but everybody was just glad to have a second goalie I guess.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
New goalie is always better than no goalie at pickup.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Anyone have any experience with the new Easton Stealth 444 and 888 protective? My LHS has it and there's literally no info online aside from one YouTube video. Looking at shins specifically.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Scored my first ever goal tonight! :woop: :dance:

... against my own team. :cripes: :suicide:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That's a bummer, I almost did that in one of my first games and I've done it a few times in ball hockey. Just the worst.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
My team picked up a complete psychopath and had done some super lovely things over the season... I have some further "evidence " that should get him kicked out of the league. Is it a "dick" move to bring to league director?

poser fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 10, 2015

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
what kind of "lovely" things has he "done"

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

prom candy posted:

what kind of "lovely" things has he "done"

Suspended 3 times for majors

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Don't sweat it. Everybody does it at some point and it's hilarious.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

go on…

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

poser posted:

My team picked up a complete psychopath and had done some super lovely things over the season... I have some further "evidence " that should get him kicked out of the league. Is it a "dick" move to bring to league director?

no

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

poser posted:

That really depends what the majors are for. In the leagues out here body checking, high sticking causing a cut is a major, fighting is a game suspension...

So I mean any of those things, even 3 times isn't enough to be banned from any league around here.

The biggest league out here I referred for and quit because I had a guy threaten to punch my teeth in and kill me in the parking lot. He was an old coach who never liked me much and tried to screw me from making a team the next year. Anyway he was allowed back in the league after a year because he threatened to move his team to a competing league. He has had more major penalties than anybody in the league and has been suspended numerous times a year. To these leagues money matters more than player safety and that's just how it is.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Scored my first wrist shot goal tonight in drop in. I've scored before, all greasy rebounds and such and one deke.

But tonight it was just perfect. Went right, shot left just inside the post about 2" above the left pad the goalie kicked.

:smug:

Black team totally lost but I was even checking people now instead of just being danced around non-stop.

Vargatron posted:

Honest to god I thought it was going to be an open practice session and it turned out to be a pickup game with like 25 people. I'm sure I was the awfullest fish, but everybody was just glad to have a second goalie I guess.

The only guy who gets mad at the goalie for sucking in drop in is probably that goalie. Everyone has always been delighted to have two goalies show up. At worst if the better goalie is on the better team, just suggest switching at halfway through the ice time.

Edit: Oh I tried that Shock Doctor knee brace ultra support today during drop in. It felt OK but I won't lie, we had 4 on 4 with 1 sub and I was starting to feel sluggish in my right leg after an hour. It didn't hinder agility but the tightness definitely caused some extra tiredness. Hopefully it's broken in properly now and I will be OK using it.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 10, 2015

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

First game skating out in about 2 years to help make up numbers for an away game: 3G 2A :feelsgoodman:

Things I learned: I can no longer skate in players skates, or at least not my beat up 12 year old Grafs so I had to switch and wear goalie skates for the game.

Today everything hurts for some reason.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

CMvan46 posted:

That really depends what the majors are for. In the leagues out here body checking, high sticking causing a cut is a major, fighting is a game suspension...

So I mean any of those things, even 3 times isn't enough to be banned from any league around here.

The biggest league out here I referred for and quit because I had a guy threaten to punch my teeth in and kill me in the parking lot. He was an old coach who never liked me much and tried to screw me from making a team the next year. Anyway he was allowed back in the league after a year because he threatened to move his team to a competing league. He has had more major penalties than anybody in the league and has been suspended numerous times a year. To these leagues money matters more than player safety and that's just how it is.

His board last night would have gotten him in trouble in a checking league. It was done with intent to injure.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
These are a thing, and I feel a deep need to get them even though there's no way 3 velcro straps can 1, ratchet down tight enough and 2, stay put for an entire game of hard skating.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Welcome to the own goal club! I have 2 or 3 in my career and they are always hilarious.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

delpheye posted:

These are a thing, and I feel a deep need to get them even though there's no way 3 velcro straps can 1, ratchet down tight enough and 2, stay put for an entire game of hard skating.

Hey, I was just thinking...

Do you have those blades/holders with the big circles in them?

Those are annoying as hell (sounding at least)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

poser posted:

Is his name Justin? Also, what division do you guys play in?

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Krime posted:

Hey, I was just thinking...

Do you have those blades/holders with the big circles in them?

Those are annoying as hell (sounding at least)

wat? are you talking about t-blades?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Had our first playoff game last night. We won 4-1 and immediately after the game, the captain for the other team cut 3 guys from the team in the hallway as we were going back to get undressed.

Unreal.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Had our first playoff game last night. We won 4-1 and immediately after the game, the captain for the other team cut 3 guys from the team in the hallway as we were going back to get undressed.

Unreal.
Serious business.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Unreal.

You shouldn't let him make your roster decisions imo

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
In what may actually have a connection to poser's post, as I just discovered that one of my teams plays in his division, yesterday I got boarded with about two minutes left in a blowout loss (our goalie didn't show and one of our players strapped on some pads) - really I got pushed from behind as I was making a tight turn by the boards and lost all semblance of edge - and went in knees and hands first, sliding on the ice, and managed to dislocate a middle finger. This was the second time I've done this - the first was over twenty years ago and more painful than any of the broken bones I'd had up to that point. This time, after a brief consultation with a teammate, I pulled and popped the sucker back in. Wooo! Felt like an action movie hero. Then I looked around and joked, "Hey, could somebody get me some ice?" while putting my hand on the ice surface, and then I REALLY felt like an action movie hero.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

delpheye posted:

Yeah, velcro doesn't work on the ice. I mean the velcro itself holds just fine but if the tail is sticking up at all it's going to slowly peel off.

I started wearing skate fenders a couple months ago, and the velcro straps are the only issue I've had. I had to trim them so there was no excess velcro hanging off and use a strip of shin tape to make sure it doesn't release.

I think if anyone was looking to revolutionize hockey skate laces they should look into ski boots, find a way to make that durable enough to take hits from a puck.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yeah, velcro doesn't work on the ice. I mean the velcro itself holds just fine but if the tail is sticking up at all it's going to slowly peel off.

I started wearing skate fenders a couple months ago, and the velcro straps are the only issue I've had. I had to trim them so there was no excess velcro hanging off and use a strip of shin tape to make sure it doesn't release.

I think if anyone was looking to revolutionize hockey skate laces they should look into ski boots, find a way to make that durable enough to take hits from a puck.

That reminds me, I need to get myself some shot blockers. Just playing drop in yesterday I blocked 2 hard passes right below my shin guard on my right foot. Just passes but even so, man the front of my ankle is sore today.

Debating whether I should just get the tongue cover because I've now taken 3 pucks off where that would greatly reduce the impact or if I should get the side covers as well (I have yet to be hit there as I'm blocking straight on).

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The idea of a team full of never-evers rolling around in $80 matching home/away jerseys with socks and all of them having skate guards makes me giggle.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I ordered socks from HockeyTron Friday afternoon and they came today. I live in Cleveland. They are in California. It was sent via USPS. This is amazing to me.

Pleads posted:

The idea of a team full of never-evers rolling around in $80 matching home/away jerseys with socks and all of them having skate guards makes me giggle.

Well I think you already know about my team's dark jersey...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pleads posted:

Piss off, I'm tired of having bruised feet. :colbert:

Though I agree with the jersey thing. Some folks just loving love looking like an NHL team.

But it still has laces so CCM is bad at copying ideas.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't say for sure but I think cross country ski boots with skate blades attached might be sub-optimal.

Though those spikes on the front could be pretty handy for dealing with assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

delpheye posted:

wat? are you talking about t-blades?

Yep. Their sound is like nails on a chalk board to me.

Ugggg..