Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
If you're camped out by civilization, look for basements. It may not be appealing, but a single basement with a bad spider infestation can give you a year's worth of dried meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also you can activate their eggs and from the spoils you can make powdered eggs for eventual consumption. Yum. :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Also you can activate their eggs and from the spoils you can make powdered eggs for eventual consumption. Yum. :v:

Yes spider nests own for this reason. Powdered eggs are even better than dehydrated meat for woods soup, but I never seem to get enough bird/reptile eggs to make a batch. (Would be nice if the crafting system would let me combine both types, but that's probably a complete rework of crafting in general.)

Fake edit: Is there a mod that removes either bird or reptile eggs and just spawns one or the other?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I doubt it, because bird and reptile eggs are both required for crafting their related themed mutagens.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

Yes spider nests own for this reason. Powdered eggs are even better than dehydrated meat for woods soup, but I never seem to get enough bird/reptile eggs to make a batch. (Would be nice if the crafting system would let me combine both types, but that's probably a complete rework of crafting in general.)

Fake edit: Is there a mod that removes either bird or reptile eggs and just spawns one or the other?

A quick and dirty solution might be to make a generic "eggs" item, add some recipe that turns bird/reptile eggs into generic eggs and add the ability to use your generic eggs in recipes that would normally take bird and reptile eggs. It's not elegant, but it'd work without a total rework of the crafting system. Doable entirely in JSON too, so you could actually do it yourself if you look at how the JSONs are structured.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Slime posted:

A quick and dirty solution might be to make a generic "eggs" item, add some recipe that turns bird/reptile eggs into generic eggs and add the ability to use your generic eggs in recipes that would normally take bird and reptile eggs. It's not elegant, but it'd work without a total rework of the crafting system. Doable entirely in JSON too, so you could actually do it yourself if you look at how the JSONs are structured.

It would actually be pretty quick and not too dirty, there's only one recipe discrepancy and that's bird vs reptile mutagen. So change up the reptile mutagen recipe then replace all spawn instances of reptile eggs with bird eggs.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The easiest solution would be to tweak the nutritional value of powdered eggs down and make one egg turn into one unit of powdered eggs.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Powdered eggs are already freaking disgusting so the thought of powdered reptile/insect eggs is truly horrifying

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well I decided to start messing about with fishing and rivers and what not.

Til I found out that sharks can also be zombified.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

SynthOrange posted:

Well I decided to start messing about with fishing and rivers and what not.

Til I found out that sharks can also be zombified.

With all the Junji Ito references in the game, I'm surprised they can't walk yet.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a special encounter; I haven't gone digging around to find all the rare spawns, but some are staggeringly uncommon and very, very silly. I did personally get to meet a Smoky Bear recently, at least. :v:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Does anyone know how to boost the spawn rate of Necropolises? I can find its entry in the mapgen, but I don't know how to ramp it up.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PiCroft posted:

Does anyone know how to boost the spawn rate of Necropolises? I can find its entry in the mapgen, but I don't know how to ramp it up.

I would guess you have to modify its entry in data/json/overmap_specials.json.

it currently has "occurrences" : [1,1], which is apparently is the min/max number per "overmap" (Whatever that is... the map is infinite!)

So try bumping both of those numbers up. Evac shelters have [5,20], as a point of comparison.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I would guess you have to modify its entry in data/json/overmap_specials.json.

it currently has "occurrences" : [1,1], which is apparently is the min/max number per "overmap" (Whatever that is... the map is infinite!)

So try bumping both of those numbers up. Evac shelters have [5,20], as a point of comparison.

Overmaps are, from what I can guess after messing around with cheats and a tiny bit of computer knowledge, basically giant chunks of world made only as needed or at least not immediately generated when you start a world - they're designed to be huge (~180^2 map squares) so you don't have to constantly generate them, but they aren't themselves infinite because computers aren't magic, so there is a point where you'll have to generate another one. I would guess that the numbers for "occurrences" have to do with the maximum number of, say, evac shelters you could find on one overmap and the other has to do with the chance any particular map square will be an evac shelter. I'd also venture to guess that it's even in that order but can't say for sure.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 10, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is there supposed to be an artifact effect that drains all your stats to 0, or is this a bug in the stable version?

My strength is 17 when I wield it, but 0 otherwise. Also, it can be activated to summon bees?

e: my stats are lovely because this was a randomly generated character

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 10, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Kinda, artifacts can spawn with the passive "evil" which does this:

quote:

Carrying and wielding (if it is tool) or wearing (if clothing) the item causes the Evil disease, which has effects similar to addiction. All stats will be decreased when item is not wielded. In the beginning artifact gives slight bonuses to dexterity, intelligence and perception when it is wielded/worn, but will eventually change them to penalties, although bonus to strength will stay and grow stronger. The longer you wield the item, the stronger the effect gets, and the longer it takes to wear off.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gulp down every random mutagen you find. Find slime pits and mow em all down and make gallon jugs of mutagen serum for your next character.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sage Grimm posted:

Kinda, artifacts can spawn with the passive "evil" which does this:

Thanks! I guess I didn't notice the gradually increasing penalties because it all happened while I was asleep.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Artifacts are nuts. It turns out the one I was so worried about before causes random teleporting. I do have a plan about that though. Pop it in a shopping cart, drag it to that bank I cant crack open because I cant find or craft any acetylene, put artifact in inventory, and see if I don't zap into the vault.

I do wonder if you can get splinched though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can most certainly die from teleporting into walls.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SynthOrange posted:

You can also telefrag zombies.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Artifacts are nuts. It turns out the one I was so worried about before causes random teleporting. I do have a plan about that though. Pop it in a shopping cart, drag it to that bank I cant crack open because I cant find or craft any acetylene, put artifact in inventory, and see if I don't zap into the vault.

I do wonder if you can get splinched though.

Explode the doors instead of teleporting. Get a fire extinguisher on it quickly so the bank doesn't collapse on your goodies or the fire spreads.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SynthOrange posted:

Darn. Not picking up that artifact again though, that'd be a hell of a way to loose my best character so far.

I also don't have the explosives recipes to make dynamite or c4. The towns I've explored are a little sparse, I've found no labs, and there's one very empty military bunker that ate through any explosives I did have.

Dumb question. I've got my vehicle welder installed on my car, it's got plenty of battery, I have a swappable storage battery, but I still cant craft sometimes because I'm missing a powered welder. I'm standing right next to the thing. It works when I (use the welder) on anything on my inventory. What's up with that?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 10, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

Darn. Not picking up that artifact again though, that'd be a hell of a way to loose my best character so far.

I also don't have the explosives recipes to make dynamite or c4. The towns I've explored are a little sparse, I've found no labs, and there's one very empty military bunker that ate through any explosives I did have.

Dumb question. I've got my vehicle welder installed on my car, it's got plenty of battery, I have a swappable storage battery, but I still cant craft sometimes because I'm missing a powered welder. I'm standing right next to the thing. It works when I (use the welder) on anything on my inventory. What's up with that?

Not enough charges maybe? Using the welder on something in inventory usually takes up one charge, while crafting or vehicle welding takes up more than one.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
You might not have line of sight to your welding goggles. I always stash the goggles in the welding rig for that reason.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Aside from what's been mentioned so far have you turned on the welder? You have to go to the vehicle controls and when the menu pops up you should have an option to turn it on.

Regarding the bank vault, you should be able to cut through the vault doors with an acetylene torch.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

He's been completely screwed with loot and not a single acetylene torch has spawned. In this instance I'd suggest popping open the debug menu and wish yourself one. But if you want to do it the "proper way" go haunt any of the public works or hardware stores for the best chances of finding one.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

He's been completely screwed with loot and not a single acetylene torch has spawned. In this instance I'd suggest popping open the debug menu and wish yourself one. But if you want to do it the "proper way" go haunt any of the public works or hardware stores for the best chances of finding one.

Ouch... yeah, that sounds about nice. I remember one time I could not for the life of me find welding goggles while stumbling across almost a dozen torches and welders. I gave up and wished myself the goggles cause gently caress that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

VStraken posted:

Aside from what's been mentioned so far have you turned on the welder? You have to go to the vehicle controls and when the menu pops up you should have an option to turn it on.

Regarding the bank vault, you should be able to cut through the vault doors with an acetylene torch.

I know, I don't have one :( Dont have the recipe either.

It was the goggles, that did it. Also, I dont have the option to turn it on or off in the vehicle commands. Weird.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

I know, I don't have one :( Dont have the recipe either.

It was the goggles, that did it. Also, I dont have the option to turn it on or off in the vehicle commands. Weird.

Sadly there's no recipe for it either... hopefully your world hasn't screwed you over!

I might have been mistaken about turning on/off welders, I know you have to do that for a lot of things mounted on vehicles like lights, charging station, fridge etc. and I could have sworn that there was an option for welders too.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Unless there's been a nerf to them the makeshift exploding shotgun slugs might work. They're really easy to make, don't cause fires, and are only a 3x3 explosion. Might take a few, and if you're trying to get pass the cage I'd suggest going through an outside wall rather than trying to blast the door down.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

VStraken posted:

Sadly there's no recipe for it either... hopefully your world hasn't screwed you over!

I might have been mistaken about turning on/off welders, I know you have to do that for a lot of things mounted on vehicles like lights, charging station, fridge etc. and I could have sworn that there was an option for welders too.

You are definitely mistaken, I've never had to turn the welder on. I think the toggle on/off is only for things that drain the battery without player intervention like lights, fridge, etc.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Unless there's been a nerf to them the makeshift exploding shotgun slugs might work. They're really easy to make, don't cause fires, and are only a 3x3 explosion. Might take a few, and if you're trying to get pass the cage I'd suggest going through an outside wall rather than trying to blast the door down.

One of the recent updates actually did nerf the poo poo out of explosives. I loaded up on explosive shotgun shells, raided a Vault, and found out I couldn't even pop reinforced glass. Tried dynamite... and that didn't work either.

I just went back to an earlier build 'cause really what the gently caress :v: I understand making poo poo tougher to crack, but that's just overkill.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

M.Ciaster posted:

One of the recent updates actually did nerf the poo poo out of explosives. I loaded up on explosive shotgun shells, raided a Vault, and found out I couldn't even pop reinforced glass. Tried dynamite... and that didn't work either.

I just went back to an earlier build 'cause really what the gently caress :v: I understand making poo poo tougher to crack, but that's just overkill.

Lame. I loved those things and always kept a couple dozen handy because they were perfect for creating breaches.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
That would explain my difficulty cracking a bank vault recently. I had forgotten to bring appropriate tools to the job, and said, 'eh, gently caress it, I'll improvise'. Several explosions, a frustrated attempt to see if I could do cutting with a welder (unsurprisingly the answer is no), and several failed attempts to teleport inside later, I just said gently caress it and shook the walls down biblical-style with my sonic disruption CBM. Naturally, there was nothing left in the vault, because in the version that I'm currently playing everything in existence is made out of farts and fairy dust and wishful thinking, and an explosion that can't get through my armor or break down a wooden wall erases everything on the ground from existence, up to and including security-robot-sized corpses, so I imagine anything that WAS in the bank vault just melted as soon as I put the pressure on with the CBM.

Seriously, I'm getting really fed up with the insane item destruction rate right now. I had two dud lab finales in a row because the zombies and security robots and turrets all dropped acid or exploded and destroyed absolutely everything in the finale room before I could even get there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jackhammer your way through everything.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Jackhammer your way through everything.

I should have mentioned that I did eventually end up bodging together a UPS-powered electric jackhammer after the bank incident as part of my travel gear, because those things are so good and I should have done it before.

Still salty about the lab finales, though, there are few enough labs on this world as-is without the finales all being empty. I only figured it out when I hosed up a THIRD finale myself by destroying one of the security robots in the room, whose explosion deleted almost everything on the floor in its radius, much to my anger and chagrin.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I should have mentioned that I did eventually end up bodging together a UPS-powered electric jackhammer after the bank incident as part of my travel gear, because those things are so good and I should have done it before.

Still salty about the lab finales, though, there are few enough labs on this world as-is without the finales all being empty. I only figured it out when I hosed up a THIRD finale myself by destroying one of the security robots in the room, whose explosion deleted almost everything on the floor in its radius, much to my anger and chagrin.

But just think about how much more fun you're having now that it's Realistic!!!!!!!!!!

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That would explain my difficulty cracking a bank vault recently.

Afaik there are a handful of non-explosive ways to safely crack a bank vault. Ever since the explosive nerf I've avoided dynamite entirely. Most of these also apply to lab barracks and other secure areas.
1) Jackhammer. The universal solvent, heavy and bulky but it tears through structures with risk of collapse as the only problem. Found in hardware stores, public works, and a shitload of level 5 mech/electronic recipes in uncommon books.
2) Acetylene torch + welding goggles. You'll get about 25 uses out of each torch and it goes through metal doors and grates like butter. Scour garages, hardware stores, and public works for it. One per garage is my experience.
3) Teleportation. Available from teleporters found in labs, teleporters from disassembling telepads (also found in labs), maybe some artifacts, or Teleportation Unit CBM (surprise! mostly in labs!). There's a chance you'll port into a wall or find it hard to port out of the vault, so always have backup charges or a way to regen charges.
4) Sonic resonation. Smashes the poo poo out of every structure next to you so use it from the outside corner of the vault to avoid damaging the goods. Available from the rare Sonic Resonator CBM and some artifacts.
5) Computer skill. This is my go-to. If the vault console is intact you can get to it either naturally or by smashing the non-vault walls with a sledgehammer. Books can take you to 8 computers, 6+ seems to get you into the vault more often than not. Does not necessarily work anywhere but banks.
6) Probability Travel CBM. Hard to install but easy mode after that when you're walking through any wall for 250 bionic power a shot.

For cracking the safes inside the vault you'll want either a stethoscope or a sledgehammer. Resonation and explosives might work but risk damaging the contents. Stethoscope is the best (found in doctors offices and hospitals), sledgehammer is pretty good but will smash flasks of purifier and rare mutagen in the safes.

palamedes fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

palamedes posted:

5) Computer skill. This is my go-to. If the vault console is intact you can get to it either naturally or by smashing the non-vault walls with a sledgehammer. Books can take you to 8 computers, 6+ seems to get you into the vault more often than not. Does not necessarily work anywhere but banks.

You'll often need a hacksaw to remove the bars and get to the console.
You also forgot
7) Vehicle. Crashing a car into the wall at decent speed can often create a handy opening.