Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Loten posted:

Base Camp Fabulous is now Alpha proof:
Alphas don't seem to attack structures anymore... they just run around like morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Man, checking into this game every 2-3 weeks is so crazy. So many things change, new dinos, new dangers, new tools and neat updates. I'm a bit worried about their 'no wipe' stance as even for full release, they haven't mentioned anything about wipes. I hope they won't just release 1,000 new servers and spread people around too much, or have new people joining servers with lvl 500 Argents and Rexes waiting on the beach for them to spawn.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

DrSeRRoD posted:

Man, checking into this game every 2-3 weeks is so crazy. So many things change, new dinos, new dangers, new tools and neat updates. I'm a bit worried about their 'no wipe' stance as even for full release, they haven't mentioned anything about wipes. I hope they won't just release 1,000 new servers and spread people around too much, or have new people joining servers with lvl 500 Argents and Rexes waiting on the beach for them to spawn.

They've wiped before, but there was a huge backlash. They will likely wipe again, but if they are smart they will wait. Like you said, this game could be very different in 3 weeks. I think they should have made it clear early on that there were going to be wipes once a month or something.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

They definitely should, at the very least to test things like leveling speed and how their changes affect those that are low level. Everything is easy when you ride max-level dinos, but it's a whole other world when starting out and you have ants, wasps, alphas, etc. roaming around. Sure, they may lose some players until later on, but a planned wipe every 2-3 months would be good for testing changes and tweaking stuff IMO. Either way, I look forward to personally starting fresh, even if it means a new server sometime in the coming months, or early next year, after most changes are in place and release nears. The game is too easy to spend tons of hours on, and I plan to do just that.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I really like the animals they come up with for this game:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DrSeRRoD posted:

Or just our one guy in a sarco. FYI: Running away from a sarco into the water is generally a bad idea.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i want a giant crab mount :(

or a giant bearded dragon. or both.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Personally I want a human mount

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I think not wiping at least one more time would be a giant mistake but the playerbase is really invested and believes the devs when they say they won't wipe again (a year out? come on)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Or just our one guy in a sarco. FYI: Running away from a sarco into the water is generally a bad idea.

Speaking of which, the croc is shaping up nicely.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
No wipe before release? That's pretty silly.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Efexeye posted:

I think not wiping at least one more time would be a giant mistake but the playerbase is really invested and believes the devs when they say they won't wipe again (a year out? come on)

As much as it makes my sphincter cringe up to think about it, a wipe wouldn't be bad. Server populations shifted heavily after the last wipe (Two days after we abandoned 40 it was full again) as people seek greener pastures now that they weren't tied to the tamed dodos that whatever megaclan was on their last server deigned to let them keep.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Google Butt posted:

Personally I want a human mount

That's pretty much the sasquatch they're adding

crabrock posted:

i want a giant crab mount :(

or a giant bearded dragon. or both.

I feel what this game is really missing is the aquatic version of ants

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I think once they address some of the major concerns, to avoid repetition, a wipe would be nice. Having a respec option, building decay on all servers, removing the ability for someone to place foundations everywhere to prevent building/spawning, etc. Wiping without fixing the issues that need the wipe might just force them to get spammed for another wipe. We're still a ways out though, so not a huge deal if it isn't for another month or two, or possibly longer.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Azhais posted:

You shut up this minute.

Question regarding foundations preventing other folks from building – do fence foundations do the same thing?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

No wipe before release? That's pretty silly.
Not happening.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

It's extra cool because all the animals are real, just fictionalized for gameplay stuff. Beelzebufo was totally real, for example... just about 1/20th that size.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Anklys are a lot smaller than the real deal but then I guess we didn't need another trike/stego/mammoth scaleherbivore.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
e:^^ Dilos are also pretty small compared to the real thing.

Colapops posted:

It's extra cool because all the animals are real, just fictionalized for gameplay stuff. Beelzebufo was totally real, for example... just about 1/20th that size.

Yeah, I looked it up after. Now just to wait for all these dossiers to actually get in the game...

Azhais posted:

Submit this to steam forum so the devs see it.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 13, 2015

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Colapops posted:

Battle Toads are totally badass, and I can't wait to get one. "Non-Battle Toads"

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Azhais posted:

Don't piranhas fill that roll? They need to be in the oceans though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Clinton1011 posted:

Nah, you can see them coming. Megacandiru.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Clinton1011 posted:

They are in the oceans they just die a lot via evolution.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Game's 20% off on Steam right now, in case it hasnt been mentioned. On sale til the 20th, guess I'm going to Dinotopia :D

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

All hail the Hypnotoad

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Game's 20% off on Steam right now, in case it hasnt been mentioned. On sale til the 20th, guess I'm going to Dinotopia :D

Get an extra 15% off from Captain Invictus while you're at it

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Upcoming 197 posted:

* Supply Crates that don't move and have no loot (due to no items generated) no longer appear on primitive servers, etc
:worship:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Azhais posted:

Get an extra 15% off from Captain Invictus while you're at it

Care to elaborate?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Care to elaborate?

He has a thread somewhere in SA Mart, he will buy you whatever you want with his SteamBux and get you an additional discount. Pretty sure he takes Paypal.

E: Here.

Korean Barbecue Slut
Aug 6, 2009
Life imitates ark - sorta

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...Costa-Rica.html

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

I am so ready for a carno that can swim. Especially if it can fit in a regular dino gate.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

JuffoWup posted:

I am so ready for a carno that can swim. Especially if it can fit in a regular dino gate.

I like the picture of it and sarco because I assume that is how sarco will feel after this dino comes out.
Bary is my favorite dinosaur though so I'll keep 20, or 50. :3:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like a lot of their dev time is going towards this dumb Hunger Games mod. Which by the way you can easily cheat by having a friend fly around in spectator mode and call out threats for you. Sometimes I feel like the devs are geniuses and other times its like they don't have a clue, like when they enabled item transfers on official servers.

Speaking of geniuses, I recently saw the trailer on steam for Beasts of Prey and wow. I didn't realize that Ark was a straight copy of another game. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, since Minecraft was exactly the same thing. I just didn't expect it that similar.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 15, 2015

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I feel like a lot of their dev time is going towards this dumb Hunger Games mod. Which by the way you can easily cheat by having a friend fly around in spectator mode and call out threats for you. Sometimes I feel like the devs are geniuses and other times its like they don't have a clue, like when they enabled item transfers on official servers.

Speaking of geniuses, I recently saw the trailer on steam for Beasts of Prey and wow. I didn't realize that Ark was a straight copy of another game. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, since Minecraft was exactly the same thing. I just didn't expect it that similar.

I think a lot of dev time was spent there. Now that it is released, hopefully the regular game development picks up.

That beast of prey keeps haunting my recommended and yeah, pretty similar to ark. On the other hand, bop appears to be buggy and terrible from the reviews.

I wonder where in the development cycle all the already announced dinos are. Bary looks to be an easy implement using the amphibian code. While snail, toad, and lazarus fish would take longer.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yea while a similar game, that doesnt even approach the quality or speed of ARK development.

could easily compare this game to Blizzard releasing vanilla WoW

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 15, 2015

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

JuffoWup posted:

I wonder where in the development cycle all the already announced dinos are. Bary looks to be an easy implement using the amphibian code. While snail, toad, and lazarus fish would take longer.

They said the next one to be released would be the ape, who can gather fiber and toss you (?). They also specifically said it is autonomous, like maybe it can go out and gather fiber by itself (either that or you tame it and it just does whatever the gently caress it wants anyway), which would be a pretty big change AI wise. It also seems like a giant flag for people to kill every ape they see.

e: Best implementation might be you set the ape to follow, go out farming rocks or whatever, and the ape will stay within a certain distance of you but wanders and harvests fiber nearby.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 15, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

From how they described it, the ape just sits down and collects whatever fiber is nearby like a panda with bamboo. I guess you could get more if you set it to follow or wander? It doesn't sound like some complex AI though.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Oh.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

They said the next one to be released would be the ape, who can gather fiber and toss you (?). They also specifically said it is autonomous, like maybe it can go out and gather fiber by itself (either that or you tame it and it just does whatever the gently caress it wants anyway), which would be a pretty big change AI wise. It also seems like a giant flag for people to kill every ape they see.

e: Best implementation might be you set the ape to follow, go out farming rocks or whatever, and the ape will stay within a certain distance of you but wanders and harvests fiber nearby.

The ape is on their upcoming, so I knew that. But I was curious on things like the hauler bird which I think was announced prior to the ape. I assume things get shuffled based on meta needs. So the armadillo one is probably next for stone reasons. I could be wrong on that of course. I am interested in seeing where each of these animals are in their development cycle. Like, what is most likely to come next, etc. But I guess where we are now is pretty good too as going deeper as I'm wondering would get into spergy star citizen crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I know this is an Ark thread and all but how does this compare to Rust? My friends play Rust, but that game doesn't seem to interest me in the slightest, and I'm thinking of picking up Ark tonight, in hopes they might pick it up as well.