Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

TwoPair posted:

Master of Kung Fu #4: Shang-Chi fights his evil dad.

Someone's been watching Sozen's Comet recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm kinda torn on the art, because it's very well drawn and staged, but Shang Chi and Fu Manchu look like Liu Kang and Shang Tsung, so it's coming off to me like a Mortal Kombat spinoff.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Silhouette posted:

I'm kinda torn on the art, because it's very well drawn and staged, but Shang Chi and Fu Manchu look like Liu Kang and Shang Tsung, so it's coming off to me like a Mortal Kombat spinoff.

That's exactly what I thought it was until someone said it wasn't.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They're pretty much all homages to the same things, so that makes sense.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Silhouette posted:

Fu Manchu, as stated a post or two ago, also looks strongly like the antagonist from Avatar: The Last Airbender and that entire scene has lots of little touches taken directly from the climax of the show. There's a lot of "homages" going on here.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

Someone's been watching Sozen's Comet recently.

Yeah but that dude is fuckin' dead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Opopanax posted:

They're pretty much all homages to the same things, so that makes sense.

Yeah, Shang Tsung is a pretty blatant Fu Manchu copy, and I don't think I need to explain who Shang Chi and Liu Kang are modeled off of.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
There's not a delicious ham thread, so this thread will have to do. If you're planning on reading Loki, Agent of Asgard, skip this post. If you're not planning on reading it, buy Marvel Unlimited, read it anyway on that and skip this post.

The following are taken from Loki: Agent of Asgard #5. Teen Loki is working for Asgard in an attempt to erase previous stories about him so he can change his future (Asgardians are beings of story). Recently the All-Mother has been getting Loki to round up various Asgardians still on Midgard, so Loki is breaking into Asgard to find out why.

Yes, old Loki who burned is evil, but dammit, he's just so awesome when he chews up the scenery like this. I really like Ewing's run so far, but his Mighty Avengers didn't grab me.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Two things:

1. I am hearing some combination of Marvel Heroes Loki and Valkyrie Profile Loki with Old Loki. Like, listen to "The True Nature of All", and tell me it doesn't go with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-gGaszqikI
2.What is going on with Old Loki's mouth? He could conceivably take off Young Loki's head in one bite, I swear it. And his lips are completely gone!(There's probably a Chew the Scenery joke here, but...)

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 17, 2018

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Having your lips sewn shut doesn't do much good for your face, no.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Two things:

2.What is going on with Old Loki's mouth? He could conceivably take off Young Loki's head in one bite, I swear it. And his lips are completely gone!(There's probably a Chew the Scenery joke here, but...)

You know how Ultimate Nick Fury is Sam Jackson? Well Old Loki is Mick Jagger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, Loki's plot is such a Meta thing but it is an absurdly depressing meta-thing. (in a good way.)

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I love the idea that Hot Teen Loki is just a passing fad and inevitably he'll go back to silly hornhats and maniacal laughter and destroying the 9 Realms because he's Loki, and that's what he do.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wapole Languray posted:

I love the idea that Hot Teen Loki is just a passing fad and inevitably he'll go back to silly hornhats and maniacal laughter and destroying the 9 Realms because he's Loki, and that's what he do.

Loki's aim is to do the same thing over and over and over and over and over...
Definition of Insanity and what not.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Wapole Languray posted:

Wait, didn't we already do that plot point with Actually Nice Kid Loki? I don't follow those comics, so I'm confused.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, didn't we already do that plot point with Actually Nice Kid Loki? I don't follow those comics, so I'm confused.

Identity issues are a recurring theme for Lokis. Recurring themes are also a recurring theme for Norse gods in general.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
End of the Loki arc has him reconcile with his old self, and instead of embracing evil, decides to embrace mischief and change. It's really a fantastic ending to the whole thing and implies that new Loki will be less about evil petty schemes and more of a troublemaker (not evil though!) In fact the whole final issue could belong in the "touching and inspiring panel" thread

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Goddamn this is such a good page.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The last few posts remind me, have there been any evil characters in comics that turned good/started over/basically stopped being jerks and... stayed that way? Without being dragged back into it or rendered non-canon by petulant writers?
I just have a thing about dudes realizing "this being evil thing isn't working" and trying to unfuck their situation, like Megatron. Though I'm sure that one isn't going to stick either.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Good old Abner Jenkins and Melissa Gold have done pretty well I feel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's a lot easier for minor villians.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Deadpool started as a villain, even if he was just a one-note mercenary with very few appearances before he started reforming.

I also remember there's some immortal in the Sonic comics that decided he was tired of being beaten and would just kick up his feet and wait for his enemies to die of old age.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Doom was never truly a villain, only the hero of his people.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rogue, Emma Frost, and Venom immediately spring to mind. Also Hawkeye, though his was such a quick turnaround it barely counts.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is Magneto still an anti hero? That's been for a surprisingly long amount of time. Allow me to quote myself from ages ago for content related to that:

WickedHate posted:

Magneto #2

Magn-ificent.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
When did Venom make a turnaround? I thought he only tolerated working with Spidey if Carnage was involved? Jesus, am I out of the loop.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Malachite_Dragon posted:

When did Venom make a turnaround? I thought he only tolerated working with Spidey if Carnage was involved? Jesus, am I out of the loop.

It got bonded to Flash Thompson after the latter lost his legs in Iraq, and together they were Agent Venom, United States marine.

Then Bendis retconned things so that the other symbiotes aren't evil, having Flash join the Guardians of the Galaxy and get the symbiote cured of whatever made it :argh: all the time. Now together they are Agent Venom, space marine.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 22, 2015

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Space knight.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are also pretty famous examples.

I don't usually like it when a great villain reforms, because it undercuts the sense of mythic tragedy to the character and particularly their opposition dynamic to the hero. We love the villain's style, potential, and in many cases are sympathetic to them so we want them to reform, but they possess a tragic flaw that prevents them from doing so. For Magneto, Doom, Loki, etc. to truly reform would be to create an ally for the hero with the potential to create utopia, and it is the great tragedy of humanity that neither the heroes nor the villains can truly reconcile that potential.

Plus when reform is done it's usually in the name of marketing merchandise to adolescents going through a phase where they feel so tortured and deep but cling to a redemption fantasy and style themselves accordingly. Good money if you can make it, I'm sure, but it's not surprising that once the market there dries up and moves on to the next tortured anti-hero the characters make a sharp rebound into villain territory unless they're not popular enough for anyone to care either way.

Doesn't take away from those Loki pages being :krad: though. Seriously that's some good stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Eddie's a complicated guy, so I'm not sure if that's what X-O was talking about.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Eddie's a complicated guy

Man, you already used the Shaft punchline the other day. Now what am I supposed to do? :(

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Gavok! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

... post?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ArchRanger posted:

Deadpool started as a villain, even if he was just a one-note mercenary with very few appearances before he started reforming.

Deadpool is still a Villain. He's a flat up murderer for hire. It's just that the internet 4chan/reddit types have latched onto him and as a result he's devolved to "Deadpool: Troll of Marvel".

Hell, even during his 'redemption' ark during the Joe Kelly run of his series, he's clearly a very broken person you're supposed to be terrified of. Sure he jokes around and whatnot but like any other psycho out there his personality can switch at a drop of pin and he just starts murdering.

I'd argue he isn't even reformed now. It's just that the current fanbase love to play up the whole Comical Deadpool taking the piss side of things that they really gloss over all of the excessively violent poo poo he does without any real level of remorse.

I really hope there's a scene in the new film that's like the elevator one from Drive. Where he just snaps and mashes a guys face into excessively graphic pulp, played completely straight and not for laughs. If only to hear all the "fans" getting butthurt that it's not what their Deadpool would do.

I should point out that my irritation is spurred by those 4chan/redditers in my office gushing about the new movie whilst having never actually read a Deadpool comic. :sigh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kin posted:

Deadpool is still a Villain. He's a flat up murderer for hire. It's just that the internet 4chan/reddit types have latched onto him and as a result he's devolved to "Deadpool: Troll of Marvel".

Hell, even during his 'redemption' ark during the Joe Kelly run of his series, he's clearly a very broken person you're supposed to be terrified of. Sure he jokes around and whatnot but like any other psycho out there his personality can switch at a drop of pin and he just starts murdering.

I'd argue he isn't even reformed now. It's just that the current fanbase love to play up the whole Comical Deadpool taking the piss side of things that they really gloss over all of the excessively violent poo poo he does without any real level of remorse.

I really hope there's a scene in the new film that's like the elevator one from Drive. Where he just snaps and mashes a guys face into excessively graphic pulp, played completely straight and not for laughs. If only to hear all the "fans" getting butthurt that it's not what their Deadpool would do.

I should point out that my irritation is spurred by those 4chan/redditers in my office gushing about the new movie whilst having never actually read a Deadpool comic. :sigh:

You should read the latest run as he has changed from being an Villain to being closer to Wolverine. He is going to be joining the Avengers and has become good friends with Cap.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Deadpool has been on "team antihero" since Gail Simone's run--not that she did anything specifically that I can recall, just that he hasn't been a sincere villain for any prolonged capacity since then.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Captain Bravo posted:

Gavok! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

... post?

*another post magically pops up*

mind the walrus posted:

Deadpool has been on "team antihero" since Gail Simone's run--not that she did anything specifically that I can recall, just that he hasn't been a sincere villain for any prolonged capacity since then.

I'd actually concede that Daniel Way's Deadpool was arguably more villain than antihero because Way is a bad writer who doesn't understand such concepts as characterization, character development and payoff. But as of the moment Deadpool told off Wolverine early on in Uncanny X-Force, I'd say he became an actual hero. He didn't just have a conscience. He was X-Force's conscience.

bobkatt013 posted:

You should read the latest run as he has changed from being an Villain to being closer to Wolverine. He is going to be joining the Avengers and has become good friends with Cap.

More importantly, Deadpool will be funding the Avengers.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
On a similar note, who are some of the established heroes that became villains and stayed that way? Ultimate Reed Richards/The Maker is a pretty great one, the idea of Evil Reed Richards doing all this scary physical poo poo really weirds me out:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Flesh Forge posted:

On a similar note, who are some of the established heroes that became villains and stayed that way? Ultimate Reed Richards/The Maker is a pretty great one, the idea of Evil Reed Richards doing all this scary physical poo poo really weirds me out:

Phil Urich Green Goblin/Hobgoblin comes to mind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Man, you already used the Shaft punchline the other day. Now what am I supposed to do? :(

*Comes scrambling into the publisher's office*

Boss, I got it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7V_UNmCAro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I can't think of any heroes who stayed villains beyond Ultimate Reed Richards because hack writers love pumping the redemption arc and even if they don't there's always a pet fanbase who will stomp and complain until they get their way (hi Hal Jordan fans!).