Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Also, where are arsplice seeds found? I mean, I know they must be rare due to being a requirement of Eater's nectar, but the call of unlimited stat increases (and hubris) are tempting me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Are you using the Steam version? You should use the Steam version if it's an option.

I... dunno what would cause that. Though I've heard occasional reports about it. You could tail the devices logs if you have adb 'adb logcat -s Unity' and see if it's spewing exceptions or something.

e: Oh also forgot in the patchnotes that Phasing was changed to shunt you out into an open space as the last move if possible (You will still instagib if such a move isn't possible on the last turn.)

Hmm, the only thing that keeps coming up is "W/Unity (29530): GA Error: java.net.ConnectException: failed to connect to api.gameanalytics.com/107.21.211.63 (port 80): connect failed: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)"

It seems to occur every few moves done, maybe all those errors are causing it to slow down?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hmm, the only thing that keeps coming up is "W/Unity (29530): GA Error: java.net.ConnectException: failed to connect to api.gameanalytics.com/107.21.211.63 (port 80): connect failed: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)"

It seems to occur every few moves done, maybe all those errors are causing it to slow down?

Probably not, though that's weird in itself, it should have no effect. To cause significant slowdowns it would have to be spamming every frame.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Probably not, though that's weird in itself, it should have no effect. To cause significant slowdowns it would have to be spamming every frame.

I've got it doing the slowdown again, and i can see it do this on the ADB Logcat:
W/Unity (11484): GA Error: java.net.ConnectException: failed to connect to api.gameanalytics.com/107.21.211.63 (port 80): connect failed: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
W/Unity (11484):
W/Unity (11484): (Filename: ./artifacts/AndroidManagedGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)
W/Unity (11484):

Show up after the game starts to hang, and always prints to the log immediately before the next frame goes and the game's going again. It's the only thing that correlates to the lag once the game starts lagging, though it happens every few actions before it starts as well.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

I've got it doing the slowdown again, and i can see it do this on the ADB Logcat:
W/Unity (11484): GA Error: java.net.ConnectException: failed to connect to api.gameanalytics.com/107.21.211.63 (port 80): connect failed: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
W/Unity (11484):
W/Unity (11484): (Filename: ./artifacts/AndroidManagedGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)
W/Unity (11484):

Show up after the game starts to hang, and always prints to the log immediately before the next frame goes and the game's going again. It's the only thing that correlates to the lag once the game starts lagging, though it happens every few actions before it starts as well.

Alright; that's pretty dumb if it's GA acting up. I sent you a PM.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just found a flamethrower with 8 drams of oil in redrock

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
if you have a way to disable or freeze eyeless crabs, the top levels of the asphalt mines are doable at relatively low level. alternatively you could just rush it, grab oil and try to bail before you get smeared.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I think I'm done with Qud for now. Between the menus being borked slowing down play and the insta-kills it's more frustrating than fun. Just lost a level 18ish character to a leering stalker after rounding a corner, never had a chance to respond. It's extremely annoying to lose a game with no input on the result, I rounded a corner and the stalker just happens to land 28 attacks in a row with no misses through 34 agility and went from full hp to dead before without a single input. Proper play seems to be taking time rewind and clairvoyance and peeking around any corner you encounter in the wilderness which is beyond tedious.

Ranged enemies should not be able to kill the player on the turn the player walks into line of sight of them. Melee enemies are fine, you know when you're walking into a room/corridor in such a way that an unseen enemy could melee you but with ranged enemies it's impossible.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leering Stalkers are the game's way of telling you to go find somewhere else to be. They're easily the second most dangerous enemy in the game. He didn't need to hit you because he just sprayed down the corner with explosives, stunning you so he could keep going. Should have taken Shake It Off :v:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dis astranagant posted:

Leering Stalkers are the game's way of telling you to go find somewhere else to be. They're easily the second most dangerous enemy in the game. He didn't need to hit you because he just sprayed down the corner with explosives, stunning you so he could keep going. Should have taken Shake It Off :v:

You can't go elsewhere if you don't have a turn to react to it existing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, at this point you basically have to treat it like a *band and consider clairvoyance or at least enhanced hearing mandatory if you're going to poke around in random ruins.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
syzygyrior is a ton of fun if you survive long enough to get to the bottom of red rock. Also I'm sort of coming around on harvestry, 75sp is not a bad investment to have access to unlimited witchwood barks in the early game. I wish the CD was a bit shorter and it just didn't work when enemies were around instead though.

Edit: also the snapjaw fort is a pretty neat encounter, i actually hadn't run into it before.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 16, 2015

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
Started steamQud for the first time, went to redrock, saw 4 Putus templar, left.

Slightly OOD, I'm sure I'll figure out how to kill them eventually though

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Elona+, aside from updating in general, has finally gained somebody helping to translate the game fully into English. Not all of it at this point as there's still a ways to go, but seemingly most of the untranslated original content is finally there to bewilder and/or horrify as only it can as a window into an alternate universe where Biskup went insane on anime and other things:

https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/3h3ck1/elona_new_version_and_english_translation_released/

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

welp

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Is stealing from lockers/chests in Joppa/Grit Gate based on them having line of sight to seeing you, or some other method? I want to make sure I'm not locking myself out of the storyline by robbing this locker stash (which I cut into with Warden Indrix's axe, because he was upset I killed his buddy in Joppa).

Also, a small exploit I found: autopickup becomes disabled if there is an enemy within 9 squares of you, even if you can't see them. It's cool because I don't have to spend points on Heightened Hearing, but it's a bit cheaty.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Floodkiller posted:

Is stealing from lockers/chests in Joppa/Grit Gate based on them having line of sight to seeing you, or some other method? I want to make sure I'm not locking myself out of the storyline by robbing this locker stash (which I cut into with Warden Indrix's axe, because he was upset I killed his buddy in Joppa).

Also, a small exploit I found: autopickup becomes disabled if there is an enemy within 9 squares of you, even if you can't see them. It's cool because I don't have to spend points on Heightened Hearing, but it's a bit cheaty.

I think it's based on whether something could have line of sight, not whether it actually does. You get mobbed if you don't shut the doors in Joppa, even though it's unlikely anyone can actually see you in the chest rooms.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
All of the chests just have really loud creaky lids, and the doors are excellent soundproofers.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

I tried placing a plastic tree to block the elder's line of sight while I looted his chest. but he got mad anyway (good thing I used precognition!)

Octo1 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 16, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

uPen posted:

I think I'm done with Qud for now. Between the menus being borked slowing down play and the insta-kills it's more frustrating than fun. Just lost a level 18ish character to a leering stalker after rounding a corner, never had a chance to respond. It's extremely annoying to lose a game with no input on the result, I rounded a corner and the stalker just happens to land 28 attacks in a row with no misses through 34 agility and went from full hp to dead before without a single input. Proper play seems to be taking time rewind and clairvoyance and peeking around any corner you encounter in the wilderness which is beyond tedious.

Ranged enemies should not be able to kill the player on the turn the player walks into line of sight of them. Melee enemies are fine, you know when you're walking into a room/corridor in such a way that an unseen enemy could melee you but with ranged enemies it's impossible.

I think i'm done with it until it becomes more stable. I had crashes right before killing Mammon and now right after beating Golgotha, and now my save file has been corrupted or something. It says it looks like it's from a previous version, but I don't think that's right considering the previous branches can't load it and I can load an older game on the current branch just fine.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

I think i'm done with it until it becomes more stable. I had crashes right before killing Mammon and now right after beating Golgotha, and now my save file has been corrupted or something. It says it looks like it's from a previous version, but I don't think that's right considering the previous branches can't load it and I can load an older game on the current branch just fine.

That's the first time I've heard of crashes since the last big tech push. If you guys are having crashes and not reporting them and sending logs, I can't fix them.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I've gotten the "Crushed Under the Weight of a Thousand Suns" death where there's suddenly a massive explosion and I instantly die near Joppa. Anyone knows what it's caused by?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is the random name seed or pool or whatever different if you play true men vs mutants?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

Is the random name seed or pool or whatever different if you play true men vs mutants?

Yeah, it's even further different between the various True Kin backgrounds.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Cool, thanks. Just as an aside, something might be off with area generation, i've had a couple of screwed up waterlogged tunnels in my recent games. I'm in one now that doesn't seem to go through to, well, where it is supposed to. I'm trying to find a way around but still.

Edit: and dead to a surprise drillbot, was not expecting to run into one of those!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

Cool, thanks. Just as an aside, something might be off with area generation, i've had a couple of screwed up waterlogged tunnels in my recent games. I'm in one now that doesn't seem to go through to, well, where it is supposed to. I'm trying to find a way around but still.

Edit: and dead to a surprise drillbot, was not expecting to run into one of those!

Yeah, I'm in the middle of a deep restructure of underground level generation in order to make the generation of the whole underground much more awesomer, so things might go a little tilt for a few patches.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Ah, well. In that case I will simply take a peek and if it's cut off i will just not feel bad about wishing in a certain pile of goodies.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
In qud do the merchants ever restock or if I buy out their wares they're gone forever?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

nutranurse posted:

In qud do the merchants ever restock or if I buy out their wares they're gone forever?

they restock periodically

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
They don't restock so much as they just reset their entire inventory. I've missed out on data cubes I really wanted when the stop reset and has new items.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

gently caress. Fire. Ants.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
One z-slice of a space filling 3D maze (the actual one will be 3x this size, but just for demo purposes), one aspect of the new underground generator.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
There are way too many crabs underground
I'm a walking seafood restaurant after a few z-levels down

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

amuayse posted:

There are way too many crabs underground
I'm a walking seafood restaurant after a few z-levels down

Yeah, but gently caress fire ants.

I have been one-shotted by eyeless crabs multiple times, though.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

fadam posted:

Any CoQ playthroughs on Youtube you guys would recommend?

There's only 4 eps so far and he's a little clueless on Qud, but Phuket's kinda fun to listen to. He has a decent Cogmind series, too.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I should probably find a newbie dev thread, but I'll ask here real quick: Any devs with libtcod experience? Specifically with python, but possibly in general.

I'm finding the console_is_key_pressed function is eating inputs if I try to move very rapidly (or occasionally producing a bug where two keys pressed very rapidly results in the first key being repeated twice - ie, down + downleft = down twice, upright + down left = upright twice).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

I have been one-shotted by eyeless crabs multiple times, though.

Always have a canteen of salty water on you

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nutranurse posted:

Dawngliders are much, much worse.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

dis astranagant posted:

Dawngliders are much, much worse.

Yeah even a mutant with a level 10 carapace takes damage fast from them, I still haven't figured out how I'm going to survive them without baked-in heat resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

victrix posted:

I should probably find a newbie dev thread, but I'll ask here real quick: Any devs with libtcod experience? Specifically with python, but possibly in general.

I'm finding the console_is_key_pressed function is eating inputs if I try to move very rapidly (or occasionally producing a bug where two keys pressed very rapidly results in the first key being repeated twice - ie, down + downleft = down twice, upright + down left = upright twice).
If you don't mind Reddit, you'll find the highest concentration of roguelike devs on the net here. Lots of libtcod-Python users, too. I've used libtcod, but it was ages ago, and not with Python, so I can't offer any helpful advice other than... go there for advice :P