Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well, you know who has the permission to delete users, correct? Hopefully very few people? Narrow it down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm gonna laugh if everyone is a domain admin.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
It was Dilbert/CF because only he would name a domain "MLP".

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

I had the exact same careerpath. This webhost wasn't in NC was it :ohdear:

Haha nah, Sydney.

I think it has to do with the kind of person running the business, my CEO was brilliant technology wise but a tightarse, so he'd hire people into support that he thought he could train to be (cheap) admins.

I'm not sure if that's the standard for that industry but it seems like it, margins for companies selling $2 a month hosting are pretty slim.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

NippleFloss posted:

Hi, nobody move to Portland. Denver is nice. Go there instead.

If Portland makes Denver look good, I'm definitely never moving there.

Denver traffic is horrific. I went down there for a concert once, and they cut I-25 southbound down to one lane from 3 around 6pm. There was no visible construction or anything, just some cones. I was an hour and a half late, when I left with a half hour to spare.

On an average day, any major street is stop and go from 4:30-7PM.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If Portland makes Denver look good, I'm definitely never moving there.

Denver traffic is horrific. I went down there for a concert once, and they cut I-25 southbound down to one lane from 3 around 6pm. There was no visible construction or anything, just some cones. I was an hour and a half late, when I left with a half hour to spare.

On an average day, any major street is stop and go from 4:30-7PM.

Portland is 4pm to 6:30pm. It's terrible. It took me 25 minutes to cross a bridge today- at 9:30am! Literally, two blocks on either side.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm gonna laugh if everyone is a domain admin.

Yesssssss.

:derp: "I wanted to give everyone local admin and this seemed the easiest way"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yesssssss.

I have run into that exact thing more than once. Doing consulting / MSP type work really makes you hate your fellow IT workers.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Internet Explorer posted:

I have run into that exact thing more than once. Doing consulting / MSP type work really makes you hate your fellow IT workers.

The worse offense I found of this was a company with ~250 employees and every one of them logged into their desktop with 'DOMAIN\Administrator' and the password was the name of the company. They had the worst IT department I'd ever seen.

We eventually fired them all and fixed everything but it was pretty amazing.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My new job involves a Lync 2013 UC, IM, and Presence infrastructure. They know I haven't really touched much of Lync outside of supporting AD group membership for an existing install, so I'd like to bone up a little. Any dos/do-nots, required reading, pointers, etc.?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yesssssss.

I've seen Domain Admins added to Domain Users. More than once.

Gotta love working for a small business MSP.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

1000101 posted:

The worse offense I found of this was a company with ~250 employees and every one of them logged into their desktop with 'DOMAIN\Administrator' and the password was the name of the company. They had the worst IT department I'd ever seen.

We eventually fired them all and fixed everything but it was pretty amazing.

:stare:

So much for leveraging SSO for getting dem exchange accounts on the PC's quickly :smithicide:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
We need to teach people that "single sign-on" does not mean there is only one account that everyone uses. :dawkins101:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MJP posted:

My new job involves a Lync 2013 UC, IM, and Presence infrastructure. They know I haven't really touched much of Lync outside of supporting AD group membership for an existing install, so I'd like to bone up a little. Any dos/do-nots, required reading, pointers, etc.?

Microsoft has a few virtuallabs for Lync server that might be helpful:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

The sheer number of amazingly awful people in IT should give hope to all of the posters trying to break into the field. The bar is lower thank you think! :pseudo:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I have to screen every client bound email my coworker sends because he told one "This isn't that hard. How are you not getting this?"

His position required at least 6 years experience in the field.

The ability to converse with another human being in a professional and competent manner is the rarest skill in IT. Technical competency is just a bonus.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We get a lot of customers who think they can be abusive dicks just because they're hiring us for consulting services. Being able to manage these types of personalities while still fulfilling the contract AND convincing them to let us take more of their money in the future is probably the hardest part of the job.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The ability to converse with another human being in a professional and competent manner is the rarest skill in IT.

Yeah and it's really loving sad.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Sql script works great on server - Push to git! Puppet agent grabs the file and tries to run it - fails! Copy file from local machine to server, run from powershell - fails! Errors out the rear end. hosed up invisible characters. IBM437 encoding? Copy raw text from git and save new sql query, run from powershell - success! Turns out git was changing our line endings by saving files with CR and not a CRLF. This did the trick https://help.github.com/articles/dealing-with-line-endings/ Just wanted to share this a-ha moment.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sql script works great on server - Push to git! Puppet agent grabs the file and tries to run it - fails! Copy file from local machine to server, run from powershell - fails! Errors out the rear end. hosed up invisible characters. IBM437 encoding? Copy raw text from git and save new sql query, run from powershell - success! Turns out git was changing our line endings by saving files with CR and not a CRLF. This did the trick https://help.github.com/articles/dealing-with-line-endings/ Just wanted to share this a-ha moment.

In related news git is native to Linux rather than Windows. :science:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mewse posted:

Yeah and it's really loving sad.

That poo poo gets ground out of you, though. I am polite to people but honestly I think I'm better off being curt because then I won't be the guy they send the idiot problem customers to anymore.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

feedmegin posted:

In related news git is native to Linux rather than Windows. :science:

I know :negative:

(all this git poo poo is new to me, but it's fun figuring out)

edit: turns out it wasn't git's fault. Or puppet's. It was the DBA who created the SQL file in OSX and somehow saved it with no linebreaks! :v:

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 20, 2015

CptJackLaser
Jul 16, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The ability to converse with another human being in a professional and competent manner is the rarest skill in IT. Technical competency is just a bonus.

I have my current job because of my ability to speak competently to my interviewers. I had very little technical experience for my position; much less than other candidates. I presented well, and was willing to put in the time to learn quickly. That was enough to push me past the more skilled engineers that didn't know how to speak to 5 managers in a conference room.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

DBA who created the SQL file in OSX

*flips his desk over*

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
It's funny how everybody talking about the Ashley Madison hack just has to make it clear that they've NEVER heard of it before.

"Sounds like something that an Ashley Madison account holder would say."

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Microsoft has a few virtuallabs for Lync server that might be helpful:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs

Good stuff. I found what looks to be a 30,000-foot-view guide of Lync implementation which will be helpful catchup ball in terms of having a text book.

One other query: the new job uses Stratus Avance, which basically looks like some kind of virtualization platform that takes physical or virtual machines, P2Vs/V2Vs them, and runs them as load-balanced machines on Stratus' own hardware or specially-configured servers. Basically, HA/load balancing between both the VM and physical hardware. Since VMware HA only goes by VMware Tools communication, I guess they want an application HA setup, which makes sense given that it's their actual station software.

Anyone ever hear of this solution and/or worked with it?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
How do I take a file server offline for everyone except myself while I do a migration?

I've given myself a snapshot of everything as it was last night which took about 14 hours. Now with robocopy if I were to do another transfer It'd only take all the changes between last night and when I do my final pass so the downtime should be minimal.

All I need to do is kick everyone off so they don't have any files open or are in the middle of editing something, do my final transfer pass, update everyone's login script to map \\newserver from \\oldserver.

Should I just announce general downtime of "Beginning at 5pm the file server will be brought down for maintenance. Please save all of your work and close your files beforehand."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MJP posted:

Good stuff. I found what looks to be a 30,000-foot-view guide of Lync implementation which will be helpful catchup ball in terms of having a text book.

One other query: the new job uses Stratus Avance, which basically looks like some kind of virtualization platform that takes physical or virtual machines, P2Vs/V2Vs them, and runs them as load-balanced machines on Stratus' own hardware or specially-configured servers. Basically, HA/load balancing between both the VM and physical hardware. Since VMware HA only goes by VMware Tools communication, I guess they want an application HA setup, which makes sense given that it's their actual station software.

Anyone ever hear of this solution and/or worked with it?

Application layer HA would just be clustering? I don't see how this would be better than setting up a MS cluster on VMware and basically having all bases covered for cheaper. This sounds expensive and proprietary. Two things that when put together make me instinctively put my fingers up in a cross and start hissing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Methanar posted:

How do I take a file server offline for everyone except myself while I do a migration?

I've given myself a snapshot of everything as it was last night which took about 14 hours. Now with robocopy if I were to do another transfer It'd only take all the changes between last night and when I do my final pass so the downtime should be minimal.

All I need to do is kick everyone off so they don't have any files open or are in the middle of editing something, do my final transfer pass, update everyone's login script to map \\newserver from \\oldserver.

Should I just announce general downtime of "Beginning at 5pm the file server will be brought down for maintenance. Please save all of your work and close your files beforehand."

Turn off sharing? https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc753475.aspx I'm assuming no one has remote access to the server too, you could also turn that off temporarily.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sirotan posted:

Turn off sharing? https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc753475.aspx I'm assuming no one has remote access to the server too, you could also turn that off temporarily.

Right now I've been doing robocopy \\oldserver \\newserver \flags from the new server.

So if I just ran robocopy from the old server like robocopy e:\files \\newserver \flags with sharing off it'd be fine?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You could do something like \\hostname\c$\folder\subfolder

It depends on what you want to accomplish

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Methanar posted:

Right now I've been doing robocopy \\oldserver \\newserver \flags from the new server.

So if I just ran robocopy from the old server like robocopy e:\files \\newserver \flags with sharing off it'd be fine?

Someone else can chime in if I'm wrong here, but yeah I think that's all you'd need to do.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I just used the Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit, so that it would copy over all the permissions/shares.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10268

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Baby's first SAN was a fourteen disc RAID5 with no hot spares. Hail robocopy

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Someone else can chime in if I'm wrong here, but yeah I think that's all you'd need to do.

If you want to be super sure, kill the shares and reboot the server. Though doing robocopies really is the brute force way to do a fileserver migration.

Not that I'm judging i prefer quick and dirty too over loving with whatever tool microsoft created for it.

EDIT: FYI you should grab richcopy. It's a MS internal tool that eventually got released to the public basically divies up the load via multiple robocopy threads.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

Application layer HA would just be clustering? I don't see how this would be better than setting up a MS cluster on VMware and basically having all bases covered for cheaper. This sounds expensive and proprietary. Two things that when put together make me instinctively put my fingers up in a cross and start hissing.

I must have not mentioned it, this solution apparently has a real-time mirror, not just directing traffic to the second node in a cluster. It faces the normal network and replicates between the machines on a private replication-only internal network, so it's probably some kind of heartbeat serving content out on something similar to a cluster IP constantly updating between the two, so when one fails the other is running.

Given that this is a radio station they probably want to err on not having a song or (more importantly) an ad spot stopping without warning in the middle of a broadcast.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I've been in a few radio stations tech rooms, it's all duct tape and bailing wire. This is unusual.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Rhymenoserous posted:

doing robocopies really is the brute force way to do a fileserver migration.

Yeah well, I'm incompetent and don't know what I'm doing, so.

File and permissions go from one server to another with a very simple difference between old and new unc paths.

A script is run to make that simple difference change in everyone's drive mapping.

The end.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rhymenoserous posted:

Though doing robocopies really is the brute force way to do a fileserver migration.

What is the preferred method? I mean, a fileserver transfer is just copying folder structures while maintaining permission data, etc. which is what robocopy is made for.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

What is the preferred method? I mean, a fileserver transfer is just copying folder structures while maintaining permission data, etc. which is what robocopy is made for.

Quest Secure Copy is a great way to do it if you can scare up the $200ish for a month. Start it up, let it sync over time, cut over, test, done.