Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The weird ~ancient~ stone structures apparently have something to do with the overall story as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Organic turret looks really nice.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Colapops posted:

The weird ~ancient~ stone structures apparently have something to do with the overall story as well.
A. aliens abduct land too
B. remnants of previous gladiator games
C. lovingly handcrafted by someone like Slartibartfast, they probably won an award for it

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So my group nearly has the scorp eggs needed to turn to kibble to tame a rex. I'm sure we will try tomorrow. That being said when we do go for the tame what's the best way to knock it out and preserve the most life?

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Zotix posted:

So my group nearly has the scorp eggs needed to turn to kibble to tame a rex. I'm sure we will try tomorrow. That being said when we do go for the tame what's the best way to knock it out and preserve the most life?

Rocket launchers.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Zotix posted:

If you have a bird, you could try lifting someone while they plink away at the rex with tranq arrows from the air. If you're stuck on the ground, try to kite it to where it'll get stuck on a cliff or rock and you can just shoot it while it stands there staring at you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zotix posted:

Don't shoot it in the head. Rexes don't get bonus torpor for that (unlike most/all other dinos), they just take more damage.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Just use a base crafted bow right? I saw somewhere someone said to use an xbow, but that would deal more damage right? I also saw that using a scorpion tends to be rather ineffective on high level rexes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zotix posted:

Just use a base crafted bow right? I saw somewhere someone said to use an xbow, but that would deal more damage right? I also saw that using a scorpion tends to be rather ineffective on high level rexes.

It's my understanding that torpor scales linearly with damage. I don't know real numbers here, but for example if the bow does 50 damage it does 50 torpor, and the xbow would do 200 damage for 200 torpor, so there's no reason to use the bow (other than if you are shooting something like a dilo that wouldn't survive the xbow). Dinos take like 4x damage from headshots, so for most things that 200 torpor xbow shot would do 800 to the head, but rexes don't get that boost.

I used a 160% damage crossbow when I took down my 88 rex and he was at about 30% when he went down.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
I assume I shouldn't give two shits about taming effectiveness/efficient taming if my group doesn't have access to kibble yet?
Most of the time the taming effectiveness is horrifyingly low (10-30%) by the time it gets tamed. This is especially true for most of the sabertooths/birds I've tried to tame. I know it reduces their starting stats, but I assume if I'm not taming some lvl 80+ monster of a dino it isn't a huge deal.

Also I need to find a way to cost-effectively break metal pillars. The big power group on 45 left the server after they put a bunch up on the red obelisk to stop the crystal spawns. :argh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
AFAIK there isn't a cost effective way to destroy metal, it's why everyone does it. It's like 25 grenades or 7 c4 charges for a pillar.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Azhais posted:

It's like 25 grenades or 7 c4 charges for a pillar.

Well poo poo. I guess I should try to get an argent so I can fly elsewhere to get it.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Azhais posted:

It's my understanding that torpor scales linearly with damage. I don't know real numbers here, but for example if the bow does 50 damage it does 50 torpor, and the xbow would do 200 damage for 200 torpor, so there's no reason to use the bow (other than if you are shooting something like a dilo that wouldn't survive the xbow). Dinos take like 4x damage from headshots, so for most things that 200 torpor xbow shot would do 800 to the head, but rexes don't get that boost.

I used a 160% damage crossbow when I took down my 88 rex and he was at about 30% when he went down.

Can somebody confirm this?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Dinosaurs do not lose taming effectiveness from other dino's damage, so the most try hard way to perfect tame is with a scorpion.

Note that's only while conscious. Unconscious dinos lose crazy tame from ANY damage.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It always starts at 100% and drops rapidly until you get narcotics on it, then drops slowly over time. My 88 rex got +41 levels from effectiveness (44 would have been perfect) and I shot the poo poo out of it with an xbow.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

raverrn posted:

Dinosaurs do not lose taming effectiveness from other dino's damage, so the most try hard way to perfect tame is with a scorpion.

Note that's only while conscious. Unconscious dinos lose crazy tame from ANY damage.

Uhhhh. Knock out method doesn't matter.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Did they fix the rubber banding on official servers?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Did they fix the rubber banding on official servers?

Nope, I went to 360 recently because the private server I'm playing on lost a lot of players but I couldn't stand fighting laggy dinos after being on a server with no lag. I only lasted 1 day back on official servers.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
They gave an ETA on the stonedillo/organic turret/spray paint gun patch, which is late tonight. They added some stuff to the patch notes:

quote:

* Do a Barrell Roll!
* Shooting arrows/projectiles at unconscious tiny dinos now actually hits them properly
* Fixed aiming of character weapon shooting when carried by a Flyer (previously was very difficult to hit stuff due to a bug)
First one references the pteranodon from the trailer.
I think the middle one is supposed to mean you can hit dimorphodons more easily with tranq arrows but I'm not sure. Maybe they really do just want you to be able to kill taming dimos easier.

They added a preview of their uh, war paint (not in the patch)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Painting flames on your dino makes it go faster.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Anyone have pictures of their cool mega-farm setup? I'm thinking of doing 4-5 3x3 plots.

Also wondering if I can setup a gravity poop system to collect Phiomia droppings and roll them near a compost bin. I really want to make The Incredible Poop Machine. Something like, make an elevated platform, stick a bunch of Phiomia asses over the end, keep em fed, have them poo poo onto some ramps, poo poo rolls downhill, more ramps like a gumball machine, poop lands in front of compost bin.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Poop rolls down ramps, so that wouldn't be an issue. Eggs do not, so if you are doing that with something egg laying make sure your system has a way to get to them.

I wonder if it would be possible with asinine amounts of positioning to get all your dinos pooping/egg laying directly into open hatches so you could just wander in a stall beneath them to collect at your leisure.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Azhais posted:

Poop rolls down ramps, so that wouldn't be an issue. Eggs do not, so if you are doing that with something egg laying make sure your system has a way to get to them.

I wonder if it would be possible with asinine amounts of positioning to get all your dinos pooping/egg laying directly into open hatches so you could just wander in a stall beneath them to collect at your leisure.
That is kind of what I am thinking but hadn't considered eggs. Do Phiomia's lay eggs? I may just only use them for the poop-o-matic if that is the case. Give each one a little stall and they can poop the night away in privacy.

I may give this a try tonight. If I get it working I'll post some screens.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheDK posted:

Do Phiomia's lay eggs?

No, they're elephants

edit: as far as that goes you might as well get a giant herd of something egg laying if all you're really after is poop. Parasaur eggs are for raptor kibble. Even if you don't plan on taming a lot of raptors, its better getting two things from your dinosaurs than one, and they're really no harder to tame than Phiomia and still have medium feces.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 24, 2015

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Dodo poop works great as feed stock for fertilizer bins and they poo poo a ton.

You can also apparently force feed stimberries to phiomias to make it constantly poo poo. It's probably a bug but hey, poop.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GenericOverusedName posted:

Dodo poop works great as feed stock for fertilizer bins and they poo poo a ton.

You can also apparently force feed stimberries to phiomias to make it constantly poo poo. It's probably a bug but hey, poop.

is it still 3 poop + 50 thatch for 1 fertilizer with small poop?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Azhais posted:

is it still 3 poop + 50 thatch for 1 fertilizer with small poop?

3 any size poop. Mix and match. But yes, 50 thatch and any 3 poop nets 1 fert. I don't know on humans though, but I mix animal poop in my compost bin without issue.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Human poop works too. Any 3 poops will do. And if you have more poop than you have room in compost bins then you can put poop directly in a garden for a lesser effect. If you do this though then size does matter (bigger counts for more).

nelson fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 24, 2015

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
ARK: Survival Evolved - any 3 poop nets 1 fert

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I restarted in singleplayer and set up shop in the mouth of a cave. It's actually sort of amazing. Plentiful supplies outside, innate protection from large dinosaurs for all your important poo poo, easily defensible otherwise, and there's a basically endless supply of chitin down below. All I really needed to do was pipe some water in and I was set.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I did this setup for some eggs, worked pretty well, they drop them off the edges and there is enough room to walk along in front of the raptors

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What is the best method for stone farming? I've heard 1k+ Anklyo's are the way to go. I've also heard 400+ melee damage with a hatchet is the way to go with endurance stew. Right now, I'm just at 210% melee damage and I just fly to the top of the mountain, load up my argentavis and fly home. Is this the way to go or should I be looking at doing something different?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Probably wait for the patch that's coming within the next day or so that's going to add the stone gathering giant armadillo.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

So I guess the doedicurus can roll around at the speed of sound in addition to smashing rocks like pumpkins.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

GenericOverusedName posted:

Probably wait for the patch that's coming within the next day or so that's going to add the stone gathering giant armadillo.

It's giant by armadillo standards but looks way smaller than the Ankly. Can't imagine it will have much carry weight.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I hope that's true. E: The rolling around fast thing, I mean.

Otherwise if you don't want to wait, I find taking a decent metal axe (ramshackle or better) and having 150% melee damage on myself and whacking big rocks is faster than running around spamming E, but it takes more food and some metal to repair the axe and such. Spamming E or using a macro to pick up stones on the ground is the easiest and cheapest method still.

We have a trio of trikes that we take with us on gathering expeditions. They gain a decently large amount of carry weight per level, as does their HP, and the knockback on their melee is super nice. A small flock of 4-5 dimorphodons set to follow one of the trikes is more than enough to take out most incidental wild critters. Probably don't want to get too close to any alphas but at least you see them coming.

I always end up bringing the trikes. Even when metal farming with the ankylos, since their carry weight isn't so great. Trikes can follow along and carry 800 pounds of rock and metal just fine.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
bwak bwak hoverraptor

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

quote:

* Fixed issues where you could erroneously create floating structures using fence foundations + pillars

Well, there goes that bug, I'm surprised it took them this long to fix it. Assuming this fix doesn't break all buildings supported with pillars, it'll be kinda funny to see all the people upset their special skybox base suddenly disappeared.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
So now apparently in addition to the bug where the larger dinos on my server take random damage, they are just vanishing. We've had a few go missing here and there and just said early access bugs no big deal but it's been ramping up. One tribe said they've lost almost 50 dinos over the course of last week. I lost about 5 in the last few days and another guy in my tribe lost at around 20.
It seems to happen more often in areas where people don't visit as often, the ones I lost were water dinos parked in a pen on the coast that I dropped food in every other day. The tribe that lost the most were out of the country for 4-5 days.
We know for sure nothing is killing them and no one sees any death messages, they just vanish.

I've placed tracking nodes on some of the dinos that have gone missing and they also no longer exist. Just lost a level 227 ptera when an ant hit it and it took off, then gone. No node registered on that channel anymore.

Possibly related, one guy has created 2 buildings that have also vanished. One of them disappeared within a couple hours of him building it. He gathered the materials, put up a house, went to gather more and when he came back it was gone. All that was left was his fence around the perimeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

Depends posted:

So now apparently in addition to the bug where the larger dinos on my server take random damage, they are just vanishing. We've had a few go missing here and there and just said early access bugs no big deal but it's been ramping up. One tribe said they've lost almost 50 dinos over the course of last week. I lost about 5 in the last few days and another guy in my tribe lost at around 20.
It seems to happen more often in areas where people don't visit as often, the ones I lost were water dinos parked in a pen on the coast that I dropped food in every other day. The tribe that lost the most were out of the country for 4-5 days.
We know for sure nothing is killing them and no one sees any death messages, they just vanish.

I've placed tracking nodes on some of the dinos that have gone missing and they also no longer exist. Just lost a level 227 ptera when an ant hit it and it took off, then gone. No node registered on that channel anymore.

Possibly related, one guy has created 2 buildings that have also vanished. One of them disappeared within a couple hours of him building it. He gathered the materials, put up a house, went to gather more and when he came back it was gone. All that was left was his fence around the perimeter.

This is probably just a ghost story of a bug overblown with confirmation bias. Maybe a bug evaporated a dinosaur or two, and then there's players out there loving with your dinos, and blaming it on the bug. Then every time someone loses a dino to a player, or otherwise, they blame the bug and hype it to imaginative speculation.

I'm just throwing that out there, because I haven't heard this happening anywhere else, and it certainly has never been mentioned on the server I play on.