Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Websites that don't let you stay logged in forever. Why do I have to enter my username and password for Wikipedia every month? What horrible catastrophe would occur if I let someone use my computer and they looked something up on Wikipedia while logged in as me? And why is it OK if it was within 30 days of me last logging in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You totally can, but one of two things is gonna happen:

1) The customer shrugs and says "that's cool" and pays another way

2) The customer screams "THIS IS LEGAL TENDER AND BY LAW YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT"

One happens far more frequently than the other. Easier just to count the goddamn change and get them out the door than to stand there arguing with them.

I used to work at a Canadian dollar store and my favorite thing to do was tell people I wasn't going to take their 200 pennies. Legally we don't have to accept more than 25 pennies in a transaction.

Most would get so mad and just storm out of the store.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Some one posts a pic on whatever subforum.

Poster - "I'm the (odd thing in pic)"

It peeves me so much a little bit, when did it start, and why?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Davros1 posted:

Not really a pet peeve, but I do love watching the assholes at red lights who constantly edge their car forward waiting for the light to change so they can speed away. Yesterday morning I saw one who was expecting it to change for so long that by the time it did, he was in the middle of the intersection.

I hate it when I'm in the right turn lane waiting for a chance to turn on red and the fucker going straight through keeps inching up so I can't see oncoming traffic so I inch up and they inch up too WHAT IS YOUR GODDAMN PROBLEM LET ME MAKE MY TURN

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

Some one posts a pic on whatever subforum.

Poster - "I'm the (odd thing in pic)"

It peeves me so much a little bit, when did it start, and why?

I dunno but it led to a goon saying "I'm the guy's three chins" aloud with his non-goon girlfriend and for that I'll always find it funny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When a video game has optional side-quests and doesn't warn you when you're about to pass a point of no return and miss any you haven't done yet.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Websites that don't let you stay logged in forever. Why do I have to enter my username and password for Wikipedia every month? What horrible catastrophe would occur if I let someone use my computer and they looked something up on Wikipedia while logged in as me? And why is it OK if it was within 30 days of me last logging in?

Who logs in to read Wikipedia lol?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

reformed bad troll posted:

Who logs in to read Wikipedia lol?

I wouldn't bother to log in just to read (although it does let you change the way the site looks), I like to be logged in so I can edit things and have them show up in my watch list.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
It'd take too long to explain with words, but these fuckers who show up in the corner store line. They basically inch forward slowly until they're almost up your rear end, then lean over you blocking you in so they can try to put their stuff down instead of waiting you to finish paying and walking away. So now you have to basically back up into their dick and apologize because how dare you touch them and get in their way of buying energy drinks and cat food.

They always loving do it when I'm paying with a debit card too so I'm trapped there and can't just shuffle to one side. If the other cashier is there they effectively block off people from being able to walk over to them too, so everyone else in line gets pissed at both of you for holding them up.

Fuuuuuuck these guys.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

I wouldn't bother to log in just to read (although it does let you change the way the site looks), I like to be logged in so I can edit things and have them show up in my watch list.

Of course you're a loving Wikipedia editor

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If I notice some wrong or missing information I fill it in, usually when I go to look something up and end up having to find the information elsewhere. It helps for the next time I'm looking for that information. :shrug:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

was stuck behind a dude in a sport car going under the speed limit YOUR IN A SPORTS CAR loving DRIVE LIKE IT jeeze

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Agean90 posted:

was stuck behind a dude in a sport car going under the speed limit YOUR IN A SPORTS CAR loving DRIVE LIKE IT jeeze

I was on the highway behind a Ferrari once and I had to pass it because they were driving like a grandma. I drive a Hyundai. I should not be passing a Ferrari for going too slow.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I was on the highway behind a Ferrari once and I had to pass it because they were driving like a grandma. I drive a Hyundai. I should not be passing a Ferrari for going too slow.

I get stuck behind newer MBZ and BMW all the time, and my car is a 30 year old economy car with zero mods. Maybe it's new and they're just babying it? I know whenever I drive a really nice car I granny it up a bit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Whats wrong with editing wikipedia. I've never done it, is there something about it I'm missing.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Whats wrong with editing wikipedia. I've never done it, is there something about it I'm missing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Strdst_grl/more_userboxes

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
This happened to me today:

Unload all the groceries on the belt, wait while she rings them up, then swipe the card.

ERROR CANNOT PROCESS

Repeat x 3, until the people behind me are making loud comments about my ancestry. Finally broke down and used the other card, which, thankfully, worked.

The first card? Worked perfectly at the next place we stopped.

If you want a cashless/card based society, fix the goddamned readers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Websites that adopt the mobile based layout for desktops. loving hamburger menus, you can actually put more than a singe line of menus on the desktop!

Tiggum posted:

Websites that expire your cookies and empty your cart after a short amount of time even when you're not even logged in. So you didn't manage to find the 16th item you wanted to buy before leaving for work? gently caress you, gonna empty this cart in 15 minutes!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It was a playful jab at Tiggum.

As for what's wrong with it? I dunno, man, I could think of lots of better ways to use my time than by making changes on an enormous dry-erase board where everyone in the world has a marker and then waiting and watching to make sure nobody comes along and erases my changes or--even worse--changes my changes.

That said, some people are well-suited for such endeavors and seem to enjoy them, so

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
When the maggot colony under your scale throw off the reading, so you're actually several pounds heavier than you thought you were.

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

People using foreign slang. I know two people here in the sticks of East TX who routinely say "bugger" and "blimey" and "bloke" and whatever the gently caress else.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

This, but with "vac/vaca/vacay" and "uni." You are lower-middle-class white trash and you've never left the west coast of the U.S. Knock that poo poo off.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Irish Joe posted:

When the maggot colony under your scale throw off the reading, so you're actually several pounds heavier than you thought you were.

When my bread becomes infested with spiders. It's Oroweat but I keep buying it because it's so drat good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Office peeves: I hate it when I get a packet in the mail and it's not stapled. Even worse if it's paperclipped. Stapling takes 5 seconds, people! Do it. We get a lot of mail. Stuff can get separated, get stuck to other sheets or just plain get lost. Paperclips can fall off, easily. Staple your poo poo!

Elevators. Call me crazy, but if I have to go up or down just one floor, I take the stairs. I get a flash of white hot anger when I take the elevator from the 4th floor down to the first and I have to stop for the lazy chucklefucks on the 2nd floor who can't be arsed to walk down one flight of stairs! :argh: Obviously, you get a pass if you're disabled, injured, or you're carrying something heavy or unwieldy, or pushing a cart. I'm not completely heartless.

I also can't stand it when I'm getting off the elevator and there's some braindead idiot standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the doors waiting to get on. Hey, rear end in a top hat, other people use these things besides you. Stand to the side s bit or a step or two back, for chrissakes!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

How the gently caress is this necessary?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

walrusman posted:

This, but with "vac/vaca/vacay" and "uni." You are lower-middle-class white trash and you've never left the west coast of the U.S. Knock that poo poo off.

I'm completely certain "vaca" has been in use in the US since before the internet took off and enabled people to steal slang from other countries on the regular. My mom's been saying it since at least back in the '80s and she's definitely not trying to sound like Doctor Who or whatever

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

walrusman posted:

What are your thoughts on taking a "stay-cation"?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Glamping

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

InediblePenguin posted:

I'm completely certain "vaca" has been in use in the US since before the internet took off and enabled people to steal slang from other countries on the regular. My mom's been saying it since at least back in the '80s and she's definitely not trying to sound like Doctor Who or whatever

I'm sorry you had to find out this way, but your mom's a Whovian.

Baldbeard posted:

What are your thoughts on taking a "stay-cation"?

Meh...

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Elevators. Call me crazy, but if I have to go up or down just one floor, I take the stairs. I get a flash of white hot anger when I take the elevator from the 4th floor down to the first and I have to stop for the lazy chucklefucks on the 2nd floor who can't be arsed to walk down one flight of stairs! :argh: Obviously, you get a pass if you're disabled, injured, or you're carrying something heavy or unwieldy, or pushing a cart. I'm not completely heartless.

Other elevator peeve: When anyone gets on the elevator and immediately jams the door close button. The doors are going to close in like 5-10 seconds, this does not speed up your trip any. I'm not even 100% sure those buttons do anything.

Other office chat: People who do not mute their lines when on a conference call. Nothing spikes my blood pressure quite like hearing someone breath very heavily into their phones from a quarter-inch away.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

How the gently caress is this necessary?

:spergin:

Ginny
Sep 29, 2007
3,2,1 Let's Jam!
Related to supermarkets, I hate it when people come into the fruit/vegetable section with their huge carts. Can't you see there's a lot of people picking poo poo up and doing lines (to weight) and you're blocking the path? Why can't you just leave the cart in another aisle and THEN carry what you picked to it?

I just hate it so much, even more when they move the cart to the line as well. It makes the line too long and cumbersome.

You have ARMS people, you can pick up some bags! Those tomatoes are NOT that heavy :argh:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

When my emailed schedule and posted schedule at work are different.

Glad I'm getting three more hours of pay today but I wish I wasn't at work.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

People who burn microwave popcorn at work. I've made popcorn before, there is literally a popcorn on the microwave button that makes it perfect. It is a loving industrial microwave so using the same time you use at home will not work. That poo poo stinks up the office for like an hour.

Also people who try to make a point and their sentence with "so" and then trail off. Example: "Well I don't think that's a good idea, so..."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Silver Falcon posted:

I also can't stand it when I'm getting off the elevator and there's some braindead idiot standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the doors waiting to get on. Hey, rear end in a top hat, other people use these things besides you. Stand to the side s bit or a step or two back, for chrissakes!

This kills me because it's happened at my workplace several times. Just a 3 floor building but occasionally we have to haul equipment up from the basement garage. There's always some lazy dipshit standing a foot from the door, dead center, not even looking ahead until they hear the *ding* and see someone trying to get out. No, of course it's not inconvenient for your fat, stupid, lazy rear end to try to shove onto a nearly full elevator with 3 people trying to offload heavy network equipment because you can't wait a whole 30 seconds or take the steps down, no sir :downs:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bradzilla posted:

Also people who try to make a point and their sentence with "so" and then trail off. Example: "Well I don't think that's a good idea, so..."
It's me, I'm this guy

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

bradzilla posted:

People who burn microwave popcorn at work. I've made popcorn before, there is literally a popcorn on the microwave button that makes it perfect. It is a loving industrial microwave so using the same time you use at home will not work. That poo poo stinks up the office for like an hour.

I had a co-worker at the IT office who loved burned popcorn as a snack. The NOC had poor ventilation. I told him to stop because it was stanking all of us. :|

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Aerofallosov posted:

I had a co-worker at the IT office who loved burned popcorn as a snack. The NOC had poor ventilation. I told him to stop because it was stanking all of us. :|

My mom's work has a policy where no one can keep fish in the fridge or pretty much any kind of seafood. I think the next step is to ban popcorn.

Peeve: people who are late and get pissy when you call them on it. Now, I don't mean a minute or two late, but if we agree to meet at 4pm and you show up at 420, yes, I have a right to be ticked. You can call, rear end in a top hat. You can even text! gently caress, I once waited for someone for a drat hour before he called to say he got into a movie and forgot we were meeting up.

Does your boss let you skate by if you're a few minutes late? Maybe. An hour? I doubt it.

People who borrow your things, break them, and put them back like they found them that way. I've had several chargers and cords at work busted or outright snapped, and the pieces quickly shoved back into the locker as if I broke them myself and just forgot?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cowslips Warren posted:

People who borrow your things, break them, and put them back like they found them that way. I've had several chargers and cords at work busted or outright snapped, and the pieces quickly shoved back into the locker as if I broke them myself and just forgot?

A million times THIS. I usually don't mind lending my stuff out but most recently, at my job, I let someone borrow my phone charger. I'm OCD about keeping my poo poo clean and unbroken, I got it back with the plastic shielding coming apart near the USB connector. I bought a new cable and keep it locked in my desk, it's amazing how many people will still try to borrow poo poo after they break it. I'm all "nope, gently caress that, you want another cable you can buy one like I had to when you BROKE MINE, jackass"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Aerofallosov posted:

I had a coworker once in the 90s who burned the poo poo out of some popcorn, I mean entire blackened pieces, smoke, the works. We were all disgusted but then this guy walked in and said, "I'll take it, I love burned popcorn." This was not your average, run-of-the-mill burned popcorn. Chunks of it were blackened and fused together. It's been almost 20 years and I still have the image in my brain of him reaching in, delicately picking up a chunk of charred popcorn, blowing off the tiny flame, and popping it in his mouth.

Cowslips Warren posted:

My mom's work has a policy where no one can keep fish in the fridge or pretty much any kind of seafood. I think the next step is to ban popcorn.

Mine does too, at least in our building. Our break room is directly behind the reception desk and directly below the C-suite and the conference rooms where VIP guests go. If you want to heat up fish, you have to do it in the building where the caf (and, I suppose, regular un-fancy assholes) are.