Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

:worship: Camel Pimp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bufuman posted:

Hey, Crowetron, I just noticed something while rereading the update.

You aren't by any chance a Dresden Files fan, are you?

"Then I drew in a breath, and my renewed will with it, lifted the rod in my right hand, murmured a phrase in a language I didn't know, and blew the tires off his loving truck."

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Way to go, Camel Pimp! You saved us from the proverbial Leo's gross laser prison!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Praise Camel Pimp, who brought us Our Lady of the Holy Uppercut.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zeikier posted:

Way to go, Camel Pimp! You saved us from the proverbial Leo's gross laser prison!

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

Camel Pimp was Mystere this whole time?!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Discipline feels good!

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
No, no, no. She can't be Mystere.

Mystere wears a mask.;)

(Thanks, CP!)

:allears:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

He's posted yesterday. He's around, he's just abandoned the LP. There's not really any point in bumping something he has no desire to finish.

Oh, really now? :haw: :smuggo:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Bufuman posted:

Hey, Crowetron, I just noticed something while rereading the update.

You aren't by any chance a Dresden Files fan, are you?

I have one of those books where some sort of nightmare spirit gets loose in a sci-fi convention and Harry almost dies cuz he's too busy making movie references. It was pretty good, I should read more of those.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The thing I never understood is how being a wizard around whom pretty much any sort of technological marvels tend to fizzle out and/or explode, how is this man so knowledgeable on things like movies and the Evil Overlord list.

But then I'm also more than willing to handwave that because I don't actually care.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Glazius posted:

Ruby does actually look pretty feline in her full adult dragon form. Well done those graphic designers.

I really love all the Lunar dragon designs, since they're unusual but still recognizably 'dragonish'. Gives them a nice, distinctive flavour.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Some poor cat somewhere had a child owner that tried really hard to put a pair of wings on it. And maybe also tried to paint it some color.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Camel Pimp is the Maeda to Crowetrons Daniel.

The feline nature of the red dragon reminds me of Dragon Song's dragons. :psyduck:

Does Ruby turn into that dragon now during battles?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Camel Pimp is the Maeda to Crowetrons Daniel.

The feline nature of the red dragon reminds me of Dragon Song's dragons. :psyduck:

Does Ruby turn into that dragon now during battles?

Only if you use the Red Dragon Aura, which costs a boatload of MP.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Only if you use the Red Dragon Aura, which costs a boatload of MP.

It's not that bad in this version, only 40 mp. By the endgame everyone will be spamming moves that cost 30+.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's a great placeholder spell for Lemina until she gets her ultimate spell. But that's really it. Everyone else gets more efficient ways to hurt things. I'd say give it to Ronfar but his MP is about to become a precious commodity. Ruby does get one other change, though.

And thanks Camel Pimp! Too much gold in here to let it go to archives.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think Ruby gains two new things. One is visually noticeable.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
This thread is back.

I'm so happy. You just made my week a little brighter;

:syoon:

Thanks CP for getting Crowetron to get back to this.

Thanks Crowetron for getting back to to this :allears:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Chokes McGee posted:

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

Camel Pimp was Mystere this whole time?!

:ssh:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 65: Everything's Fine

Last time, Ruby concluded her personal arc, turned into a kick-rear end dragon, and we obtained everything we need to go save the drat world. Let's warp out of this lame-rear end cave.

Unfortunately, as soon as they step outside, our heroes are greeted by crashing thunder and a rumbling earth.

: "Oh, right. ZOPHAR! Of course."

: "Psst, Jean. Who's Zophar, again?"

: "Ancient evil monster man. Harbinger of the apocalypse. King of jerks. He's the whole source of all these problems. How did you forget that?"

: "I dunno, feels like it's been months since anyone's mentioned him."

Meanwhile, as the sky darkens the world over...

Grandpa senses danger.

Even in Pentagulia, there is unrest.

The False Goddess is having a very real crisis of faith.

Zophar's Theme

He may be evil, but he's certainly easier to contact than most deities.

: "I feel like that is the opposite of what I told you to do."

: "Yes, but it turns out my Four Heroes are total gently caress ups! Lunn got the evil punched right out of him, Mauri got healed by True Love or some sappy bullshit, and Borgan...Well, we all kinda saw Borgan's defeat coming a mile away."

: "You've been telling us, very specifically, for years that if the Goddess is freed, we're all doomed. I mean, I literally wake up every morning with those words written in blood on my walls. And the words scream when they're wiped away. I figured that was all you."

: "If there's a new plan, I feel like I should probably be aware of it, right?"

: "But I'd feel a lot better if--"

: "Talk to ya later, video game!"

: "Somehow, talking to the embodiment of all suffering didn't make me feel any better."

Ghaleon's Theme

ZAP

Ghaleon was trying to teleport into the bathroom but he's too proud to admit it.

: "The what?"

: "You know, Leo's men. The Althena's Guard Corps."

: "Those chucklefucks work for us!? No wonder we're losing."

: "...always gotta throw that in my face, you rude bitch. Just for that I'm gonna misconstrue your vague orders and do what I want, you don't own me you fu--"

: "Did you say something, Ghaleon?"

: "I said 'I'm on my way, your holiness'."

ZORT

hehehehehahaPFFFTAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

: "My undead manservant will murder that teenager and everything will be fine!"

Well, that's nice. What do our heroes think of this turn of events?

: "Jokes? My dude, have you ever SEEN a cosmic horror?"

: "He's right. We see 'em all the time at the Magic School and let me tell you...you never get used to it."

Laundry concerns aside, we head out.

There is no music on the world map. Only darkness and silence.

Let's see how the people of Raculi are dealing with these ominous portents so soon after being rescued.

Ignoring it? Okay, that works.

Ah yes, nothing more babe-alicious than form-concealing papal robes and a haunted look in the eye.

I do appreciate that Ronfar is such a fan of ogling chicks in general that he doesn't even get jealous.

No idea. But apparently news of Mauri's possession spread quick because no one in town seems to harbor her any resentment or ill-will. Convenient, because we have bigger issues to resolve.

The name of my solo album

Lucia is confused by the prospect of solving problems with something other than ancient mystical artifacts.

We should probably pop in on Mauri before we jet off to save the world.

: "Every day seemed an eternity as I was forced to do those terrible things. Believe me when I say that Zophar's power is beyond all description."

That uh...kinda describes it.

: "Before you go...what do you think of growing a mustache?"

: "I'm onboard! I always thought I could use a little Selleck action."

: "Oh, I meant me growing a mustache."

: "....Can I still get one, too?"

: "I don't see why not."

: "Then I'm still onboard!"

Well, with that settled, it's time to make our way to Pentagulia.

Except I kinda forgot where it was.

Somehow, I ended up back in Meribia, so I figured, we haven't checked in on Ramus is a while. How are things going with him?

the what-now

wha

Did I accidentally put in the Suikoden V disc?

: "Hold on, Jean. We still technically haven't cleared our names. We really cannot afford a murder beef this late in the game."

: "I was just gonna hit him once."

: "I watched you turn a dinosaur into paste with one punch. No murder beefs."

Jean's eye begins to twitch as she mutters 'Giggle Den' over and over under her breath

Is this health-inspector-less world even worth saving?

This is almost word for word how anime tiddy games got added to steam.

A place too skeezy for Ronfar?! Truly this is the end of times.

Nevermind, everything makes sense again.

gently caress it, let's see some sewage titties.

Jeez, how many fetishes is this place trying to cover at once?

: "Lucia, how much of this would you say is Zophar's influence?"

: "I am sorry, Jean, but I do not sense Zophar's power anywhere near this location."

: "What's that? 100% of it is Zophar's fault? Great, Hiro, let's get to Pentagulia."

Note! The chat at Bag Guy HQ was actually voice acted, but I was sick earlier this week and didn't have time to go back and record it. A video will be included with the next update.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 27, 2015

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Oh man, I'm so glad you showed the Tunnels of Terror. It's really memorable. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

You have a repeated screenshot.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Fixed, thank you.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

W.T. Fits posted:

It bears repeating! :v:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
The Tunnels! Memorable for one of Ronfar's most amusing moments. :allears: And maybe the party can get a little lost and end up back in the library, to see if Lucia's reaction to the book about aliens from the Blue Star has changed any. (I'm pretty sure it does, but it's been a few years since I've played my copy of the game.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
In the original they don't actually add the ladies to the sewer, it's exactly the same with the random encounters and everything, so everyone just seems like they're crazy.

And I will always love how bitter Ghaleon is about being demoted to secondary villain.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I still love the banter in this game, even without Crowetrons additions, it still brings the party to life.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A ton of RPG's don't have that. The characters have a common cause, sure, and there's almost always a couple of love interests, but it's incredibly rare to see an RPG where the characters all feel like good friends. Final Fantasy V did it pretty well too, but nowhere near as good as this. Shadowhearts is another good example (although I've only ever played the first one). It makes everyone seem more real, because real friends joke around and tease each other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

A ton of RPG's don't have that. The characters have a common cause, sure, and there's almost always a couple of love interests, but it's incredibly rare to see an RPG where the characters all feel like good friends. Final Fantasy V did it pretty well too, but nowhere near as good as this. Shadowhearts is another good example (although I've only ever played the first one). It makes everyone seem more real, because real friends joke around and tease each other.
every single tales game does this

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.

Crowetron posted:

This is almost word for word how anime tiddy games got added to steam.

Too true, man. Too true.

I am kind of disappointed that we didn't get to see the money pool, though. I can see the two of them pulling a Scrooge McDuck and swan diving into a pile of money.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Those two were made for each other.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Endorph posted:

every single tales game does this

Never played 'em

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Never played 'em

a large calling card of the tales games is that they have random bullshit conversations your party gets into about inane nonsense, like, all the time

for example: tales of xillia 2 features one guy complaining to another party member about her obnoxiously saccharine and emoticon-filled text messages, and she turns it around by saying he's hilarious and they could totally make his angry face into "a funny alvin meme!"

or characters from the first game discussing how the main character of the first game has changed his wardrobe. they make fun of him for "showing off his sexy side"

it's pretty cool

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

alcharagia posted:

a large calling card of the tales games is that they have random bullshit conversations your party gets into about inane nonsense, like, all the time

for example: tales of xillia 2 features one guy complaining to another party member about her obnoxiously saccharine and emoticon-filled text messages, and she turns it around by saying he's hilarious and they could totally make his angry face into "a funny alvin meme!"

or characters from the first game discussing how the main character of the first game has changed his wardrobe. they make fun of him for "showing off his sexy side"

it's pretty cool

And theres billions of them jesus gently caress who even has the time.
Just playing the drat game itself takes long enough.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And theres billions of them jesus gently caress who even has the time.
Just playing the drat game itself takes long enough.

I watch every single goddamn skit I get in every single goddamn game I've played. Someone help.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Never played 'em

Basically, Tales games are known for having two things in every single game: Really anime friendship-heavy story lines and characters, and holy-poo poo-this-is-awesome combat systems. Very much worth playing for the latter.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bufuman posted:

Basically, Tales games are known for having two things in every single game: Really anime friendship-heavy story lines and characters, and holy-poo poo-this-is-awesome combat systems. Very much worth playing for the latter.

You forgot the lethal antipathy towards anyone who wants to 100% them, with requirements like "between triggering cutscene A on entering this town and cutscene B on entering the inn at this town, you must leave the town, travel across the entire continent, and go to a dungeon you cleared in the first half-hour of the game to talk to a wandering NPC."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Never played 'em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggFcFgDE4lI

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

That is absolutely fantastic because I did the exact same thing when my best friend came to visit me and I took him to the Parkway for the first time (I live in western Carolina). Definitely looking up this game.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You absolutely owe it to yourself to play Shadow Hearts 2.

• Locked thread