Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Space Pussy posted:

Whats the logic behind restricting soulbounded weapon perks to certain classes? Seems like that is going to pigeonhole feat choice.
Like what feats in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
All weapon focus feats work for any soulbound weapon to prevent that. This is from earlier in the thread:

rope kid posted:

We weren't really tight-lipped about soulbound weapons. We talked about them at length during our presentations. Here are their basic features:

* Examining one shows that they are a soulbinding weapon and lists what classes it can bind to. In place of an Enchant button, they have a button to bind the weapon to the soul of the character whose inventory it is currently in. If a class isn't on the binding list, it can't be bound to that character. Binding doesn't mean the character is forced to use or equip that weapon, but while it's bound to the character, they're the only one who can use it and advance its powers. You can sever the binding if you like, but you will lose all progress on the weapon (it warns you of this).

* Soulbound weapons have a larger examine window that includes a pen and ink style illustration of the weapon.

* Soulbound weapons automatically qualify for any weapon focus/specialization/mastery type talents or abilities you have. E.g., if you have a fighter with WF, WS, and WM in Ruffian, those all apply to St. Ydwen's Redeemer (the soulbinding great sword we demoed) even though great swords are in the Soldier group.

* A bound weapon will display what you need to do to unlock additional powers. Each time you unlock a power, you also gain more lore on the weapon and what the next goal is. The capstone power(s) always complete the lore.

* One of the powers on a soulbound weapon is always class-specific. St. Ydwen's Redeemer has different powers for fighters, paladins, and barbarians.

* Though several of the new unique weapons have "spellchance" powers (more momentous procs that go off on a percentage of Hits and Crits), all soulbound weapons have one.

* Soulbound weapons cannot be enchanted.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

That's good to hear about the feats.

But I'd still like to bind the Redeemer to my choppy Wizard.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So basically soulbound weapons are some super unique weapons?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

When today is this coming out, you all think? I'm going to head out for a bit to check out my new town, might be away for most of the day and miss the release.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So i just picked this up last night and made my first character.. a dwarf fighter (probably boring class)

Anyways, I hit level 2 and noticed i didn't have a chance to level up my attributes, is it whatever you picked at the start is what you're stuck with outside of items? or does it go every other level?

No, you won't level up your attributes after character creation. You can get more points through items, rest bonuses or food but that's it. Fighter is an awesome class if you build it as a DPS/off-tank. It is a bit boring as a main tank, but that's why we've got Edér.

moot the hopple posted:

I think for my new run I'm going to not take any weapon focus talents because they've had the inadvertent consequence of making me ignore weapon drops that aren't on some list, which is silly because it's a personal mental hangup rather than a game limitation like class weapons in DnD. Two levelup's worth of accuracy is nice and all, but I think I'd like to actually use cool loot as I find it rather than treating it as vendor fodder because it's not optimal. :rolldice:

I never pick Weapon Focus because +6 Accuracy never seemed like a huge bonus when the trade-of is to lock you into a group of weapons (and like you said, rule out weapons for which you're not specialized). Between the Paladin Accuracy Aura and the various buffs, I don't think +6 is such a huge deal. I could be wrong (and that'd explain why I'm struggling so much on the PotD final fight).

evilmiera posted:

When today is this coming out, you all think? I'm going to head out for a bit to check out my new town, might be away for most of the day and miss the release.

10AM PSD I reckon, loving us Eurogoons once more!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
My CD Key isn't even showing up yet on the website. I wonder why they couldn't do pre-order/pre-load/pre-issue keys.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Furism posted:

My CD Key isn't even showing up yet on the website. I wonder why they couldn't do pre-order/pre-load/pre-issue keys.
Yeah, same for me. Is it out today? Very muted launch. I thought it was out 28th.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

adamarama posted:

Yeah, same for me. Is it out today? Very muted launch. I thought it was out 28th.

No it's today, the 25th.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Furism posted:

No, you won't level up your attributes after character creation. You can get more points through items, rest bonuses or food but that's it. Fighter is an awesome class if you build it as a DPS/off-tank. It is a bit boring as a main tank, but that's why we've got Edér.

I never pick Weapon Focus because +6 Accuracy never seemed like a huge bonus when the trade-of is to lock you into a group of weapons (and like you said, rule out weapons for which you're not specialized). Between the Paladin Accuracy Aura and the various buffs, I don't think +6 is such a huge deal. I could be wrong (and that'd explain why I'm struggling so much on the PotD final fight).

10AM PSD I reckon, loving us Eurogoons once more!

Did you mean PST or PDT?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Keys are up in your backer portal if you had it as an add-on.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Furism posted:

Every +5 accuracy is at least equivalent to a DnD +1, but usually better because in the meat of the range 5 accuracy is removing 5% of missing and adding 5% of critting. Given the dearth of really compelling feats for certain class/archetype combos and how there's usually one coolest unique per weapon type, Weapon Focus is like free crits for a modicum of planning ahead.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So excited for the expansion. Refreshed the Steam page to see if its up there yet and saw the global stats regarding achievements. The top achievement is "Make an Adventurer" which is of course, making you're own person, followed by Complete Act 1. But even the top one is 47.9% and the next one is 46.2%. Not even half the people that own the game are completing act one? Are millions of people buying the game and not even playing it?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well you have some people that just buy everything that pops up on steam but mostly I think alot of people just log in to buy the game and go back into offline mode the moment they can.

I imagine RPGs tend to attract those types more than normal.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Jastiger posted:

So excited for the expansion. Refreshed the Steam page to see if its up there yet and saw the global stats regarding achievements. The top achievement is "Make an Adventurer" which is of course, making you're own person, followed by Complete Act 1. But even the top one is 47.9% and the next one is 46.2%. Not even half the people that own the game are completing act one? Are millions of people buying the game and not even playing it?

I bought it because I played the poo poo out of the BG series when I was younger.
I'm also OCD about games like this and want to explore everything and with work etc have only managed to complete ACT 1.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
No, of course not. Just hundreds of thousands. And that's not that uncommon, look at how many players of Fallout New Vegas didn't complete the intro: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/Fallout:NewVegas/achievements

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Average Steam user during a sale:

'Pillars of Eternity is 33% off? How can I afford not to buy it!?'

*plays game for one session, chucks it back in their pile of 150 unfinished games and goes back to playing LoL*

'Another $40 well spent' :downs:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, well I knew there were a lot of folk that just buy to buy. And of course people are busy like Kampfy. But HALF of all purchases? Dang!! I would think that'd be like..maybe 20% of folks.

Going offline makes a lot of sense though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I burned out on my playthrough of 1.0 near the end of Act 2. Good game, just got distracted by life and never got back to it. Has the Keep restoration part of the game been made more useful or is it still just kind of there?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

evilmiera posted:

Did you mean PST or PDT?

PST, sorry.

Looks like I was wrong, too, as :siren: THE GAME IS AVAILABLE NOW! :siren:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
WOO! Only...*looks at watch*...12 hours until I'll be home to buy it!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Furism posted:

PST, sorry.

A very pleasant surprise. It's not featured on Steam though, which is not super helpful.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Furism posted:

PST, sorry.

Yep, just downloaded it! Just so it's clear, the expansion is built into the base game, right? So you have to do it before finishing the main quest but it's still high level content? I tried my damndest to finish PoE before Witcher 3 came out but I just got to the end of that so this release is timely.

How will Part 2 tie into Part 1? Is the story connected so that you may want to hold off on finishing the base MQ until Part 2 comes out (or skip the expansion now and do another playthrough whith the expansion completed, of course)?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I know White March will scale to high level parties, but is it recommended to experience it on a mid level party? I'm not sure if I should start a new playthrough or bring in my endgame party.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Scoss posted:

I know White March will scale to high level parties, but is it recommended to experience it on a mid level party? I'm not sure if I should start a new playthrough or bring in my endgame party.

I'm starting a new playthrough (similarly to above, just stopped playing sometime in Act 2 last time) and I'm planning on going when a messenger shows up in-game to say 'hey there's some expansion content you might want to check out'.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

TWM branches off from the main game about the time you get to Defiance Bay. If you've already completed the game (and haven't deleted older saves), you should have a "pre-pit" autosave that you can use.

Personally, I think a 7th or 8th level party is a good fit for TWM's crit path, but the side content is meant for characters that are 11+.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Levantine posted:

I burned out on my playthrough of 1.0 near the end of Act 2. Good game, just got distracted by life and never got back to it. Has the Keep restoration part of the game been made more useful or is it still just kind of there?
We didn't design new stronghold content for Part I, but it's been a focus for me for Part II.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

rope kid posted:

We didn't design new stronghold content for Part I, but it's been a focus for me for Part II.

Fantastic, thanks! I may wait til part 2 to dip back in to get the whole experience.

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009
So, is it recommended to start a new game for the White March in case of some possible weirdness with old save games?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know I'm way jumping the gun but....part two...april?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Piekuuns posted:

So, is it recommended to start a new game for the White March in case of some possible weirdness with old save games?
There *~ shouldn't ~* be any save game weirdness.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
For an endgame save where do you need to go in Defiance Bay to get the quest trigger?

vvv thanks. Hmm not triggering yet but it doesn't matter as I'm going to be on the road for the next hour anyway I guess. I'll try to check again when I get home.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 25, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Darkhold posted:

For an endgame save where do you need to go in Defiance Bay to get the quest trigger?

It's not a place in Defiance Bay that triggers it, but already having visited (IIRC) Copperlane. So if you're anywhere near the endgame, you should already have been notified to go talk to the steward at Caed Nua.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Launch trailer btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zia_EVYaOg

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Got some weird "Missing GUI" error on the main menu after I downloaded the patch and expansion, now I've gotta redownload 3.3 gigs before I can play. :(

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm going to make a new game to play the expansion. I'm thinking Cipher. What would be the most fun approach to build for that one? In my first play with Grieving Mother I kinda just winged it and don't even remember how I built her.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just to confirm - the $50 backer level did not have the expansion included, correct?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
So is part 1 a contained storyline with part 2 being a sequel to 1, or will there be some gated point halfway through?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

rope kid posted:

This is good to hear!

Also, this may seem like a dumb and trivial request, but... could we possibly increase the frequency or experience rewards for stronghold missions?

I actually like to switch between companions when I play the game, between custom companions I want to experiment with and the different full companions, but there's not really any way to play that isn't "doing the limited number of quests available", so when I end up having under leveled dudes that can't keep up with the main character, and I ended up stopping any switching at all and got rid of all my custom companions since there was no point.

If it was possible to keep two or three companions on par or almost on par with the party progression, that would be really great. Just, like... send out multiple possible quests at the same time, so it's not like I can boost one dude way ahead this way, but I can keep a couple of people in fighting shape.

Either that or some place I could go to sort of catch them up with the main party.

Especially since new companions are being added.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

How punitive are the respec costs? I haven't played this game since I beat it shortly after launch, so I never took advantage of the options to retrain companions when I recruit them. I really just want to dive into this with my endgame party, but I'm guessing between that and various balance changes across the patches that I may be at a bit of a disadvantage.

• Locked thread