Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So my boss - who is typically here ~6.5 hours a day - got in early today after a short vacation and had people "sign in" on a sheet in his office this morning.

:what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

He got enlightened to the wonders of micro managing and time management.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So update on this from a few weeks ago and fitting with the current gently caress ATT conversation. I was at the end of my rope with this site trying to get things back up and running. Finally I configured a new router and sent it down to replace the existing one since it was the only thing I hadn't tried replacing. Still no luck. During all of this I had at some point had an ATT tech come down to check our connection. I wasnt sure what he would find if anything because the internet WAS up for everyone it was just LDAP bindings that were failing for the office. Anyway he came in and said that nothing had changed but that we were on an older DSL line and that they had just recently expanded their U-Verse network into the area and that we could get higher speeds for the same price. So I went ahead and ordered it for the site while I was still trying to get it fixed.

Lo and behold as soon as we switched over the connection everything started working. I've never been as livid with a vendor in my life. They swore up and down to me that nothing had changed on the line and that everything was working properly. I still don't know if it was a simple bandwidth issue which I highly doubt because some people at that site were still up and running, or if something changed on one of their edge routers or something entirely different or unrelated. All I know for certain is that it has worked perfectly since switching our connections.

The only silver lining in all of this is that I learned a ton about DNS and LDAP.

All I can think of is MTU, but that makes no sense if it's all inside a VPN tunnel.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

bobmarleysghost posted:

He got enlightened to the wonders of micro managing and time management.

Nah, someone in a round about way told him that his time management needed to be better, and rather than see that as a dig at his own office hours, he's decided to roll it downwards.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

All I can think of is MTU, but that makes no sense if it's all inside a VPN tunnel.

It could be. I've seen it before related to packet frags if the MTU is too high over the tunnel. But this was back in 2000 or 2001 with the client using GRE tunneling over a cisco P2P VPN using two PIX boxes. Got tons of duplicate SYNs from the client machines loving up all kinds of client-server communications. IIRC, I had to step it down from 1500 to 1472 for it to work correctly. I probably still have the analysis on a ZIP drive in storage from my consulting days.

I don't know if that's the issue, but it's definitely something I've seen before.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 25, 2015

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010
poo poo that's pissing me off: I got new networking hardware in earlier this summer with vlans setup and a bunch of other bells and whistles. I'm trying to run a dhcp and dns server from a windows server to give the vlans access to what they need. I've built this server 4 or 5 times and everything works perfectly fine for about a day then suddenly the server's time gets setup back to pacific and none of the domain services function. I can ping by name through the DNS but I can't connect to any files shares or see anything from the DHCP MMC. Usually I can at least see the list of authorized DHCP server but I'm getting zilch. Has anyone seen this before or have any idea where I should even start looking?

Edit: the vlans have no restrictions from talking to each other and everything works fine until the server decides it doesn't want to be on the domain anymore

Edit again: I'm the thing pissing me off. I didn't realize that the bridge between the "new network" and the "old network" was the firewall which has the web filter sitting in front of it. Appearntly a light speed web filter will block domain traffic but not dhcp and dns.

pyrofreak421 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 25, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Owner has been getting mad because people bring a treat in on their birthdays. Cupcakes, cookies, whatever.

So I started bringing in a dozen donuts and anonymously leaving them in the break room early in the morning.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Why would that piss anyone off? Are they diabetic?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Owner has been getting mad because people bring a treat in on their birthdays. Cupcakes, cookies, whatever.

So I started bringing in a dozen donuts and anonymously leaving them in the break room early in the morning.

Wait how are any of those phrases offensive.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The email signature struggle is real.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait how are any of those phrases offensive.

Have a nice day!

:iceburn:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bob Morales posted:

What the gently caress is this stupid bullshit?

I received too many negative comments about bringing in donuts once every week or two so I stopped doing it. The box was always polished off by the end of the day so they were all getting eaten.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Bob Morales posted:

"Refrain from letting a cup of coffee lead you "

Your owner is senile.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Yesterday the ones I brought in were gone by 8:18am. Some sort of record, I think people need a sugar rush on Monday.s

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Raerlynn posted:

Your owner is senile.

We can have one cup and it can't leave our desks.

I don't follow his stupid rules and run around with Starbucks cups so I get the lecture of $4 coffee.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bob Morales posted:

We can have one cup and it can't leave our desks.

I don't follow his stupid rules and run around with Starbucks cups so I get the lecture of $4 coffee.

One cup? gently caress that. I need my coffee or heads are gonna roll. It's the only way I deal with poo poo sometimes.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Raerlynn posted:

Your owner is senile.

gently caress you, I need the coffee to do my job.

Or do you want a (non-literal) zombie answering the phone?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

RadicalR posted:

gently caress you, I need the coffee to do my job.

Did you even read rule #3? REFRAIN FROM LETTING A CUP OF COFFEE LEAD YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
HAVE A NICE DAY YOU ASSHOLES!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Why would that piss anyone off? Are they diabetic?

Zero will power to stop eating, some weird compulsive behavior with no off switch. I was down to 210 earlier this year but I'm up to 230 again.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
HAVE A NICE DAY AND HERE'S A CUPCAKE

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

HAVE A NICE DAY YOU ASSHOLES!

This seems much more acceptable. Welcoming even.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0YaPl5uvVo

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

thebigcow posted:

Zero will power to stop eating, some weird compulsive behavior with no off switch. I was down to 210 earlier this year but I'm up to 230 again.

Ah, the old "I can't help myself so no fun for anyone" routine.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Did you even read rule #3? REFRAIN FROM LETTING A CUP OF COFFEE LEAD YOU

Brother, I'm the one driving. The coffee is just the gas. It has no say in direction.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bob Morales posted:

How can anyone find 'Have a nice weekend' offensive?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Brother, I'm the one driving. The coffee is just the gas. It has no say in direction.

This

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

spog posted:

Hey buddy, you don't get to tell me what I should and should not have.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
If somebody would bring in hummus and pita chips instead of donuts one day, I would be so happy.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
One time someone asked me "how's it going" so I quit on the spot.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

spog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X0MDBqyYZQ

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

One time someone asked me "how's it going" so I quit on the spot.

I spent 5 years in jail for beating a man half to death for saying "Have a good weekend".

That loving bastard, must've been stalking me to know Friday was my last day for the week.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spog posted:

At my last job, we were scheduled in front/back half of the week slots, with a small amount of overlap depending on the role. We would troll the other half as we left by telling them to have a nice weekend.

It was all in good fun, however, so no one actually got offended, it was just an excuse to grumble on the first day of the week.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

spog posted:

I'm sure some Huffington Post columnist could write something up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

I'm sure some Huffington Post columnist could write something up.

Using the word "have" implies ownership which is both classist and racist.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

It did use to suck when someone from another department at my last hellish job would say "thank goodness it's Friday" or yes "have a nice weekend" when I was looking ahead to staying all night on Friday doing some bullshit that would probably fail resulting in spending all Saturday night doing it again. Of course there was no way they could know and it wasn't their fault so I just smiled and said you too.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

spog posted:

Triggered. My parents died on a week end.

A cup of coffee lead them to their deaths.

And for as much as I'm mocking this, I'm waiting for the day the company I'm at becomes like this bull poo poo. And I'll quickly eject.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

nimper posted:

The email signature struggle is real.

The real reason is because the owner LOVES printing emails. So if you have this email chain going, he'll print it and it's 85% signatures and he flips the gently caress out.

He also forces everyone to print double-sided and tells people NOT to print unless they have to and he runs around picking up printouts to use for scrap paper.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Do you work for the Grinch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Bob Morales posted:

The real reason is because the owner LOVES printing emails. So if you have this email chain going, he'll print it and it's 85% signatures and he flips the gently caress out.

He also forces everyone to print double-sided and tells people NOT to print unless they have to and he runs around picking up printouts to use for scrap paper.

Reading your post history it's like you work for a sort of crazy hybrid of Scrooge McDuck and Montgomery Burns.