Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Arkanomen posted:

We need to get our shield back before other us eats it.
Can we blink in as Snarls, grab the shield and blink out without being caught by Og?
Probably?

It is hungry.

It probably is too focused on food to realize all it can do.

You hope.

Basscop posted:

Question: In our current state consider being worshiped, ruling over a vast empire of man. All devoted to us. Having grand temples and statues built in our honor. What does our 'stomach' think about that?
It rumbles.

Theglavwen posted:

Woah, alright, we can't eat the Demon. drat, absorbing it would transfer its hungry nature?

Can we tell how much more it needs to eat? At the rate it was growing, do we have any estimate for how long we have?

Hm, so praying to El adds a few minutes. I have no idea if we have that or not, it's definitely a gamble. Admittedly, given our strength, it seems like we could outlast the Demon right now, but we still don't know what to do with it. I'm not going to change Plan Theglavwen at this point, since a number of people have voted for it and editing an option mid-vote seems weird, and while it's a gamble, the issue of a couple minutes might not be huge. When last we left, after all, the Demon was taking its time to talk to dudes, and gather them all together. It might easily be spending those few minutes in having the giants round up the villagers and trying to awe them.

Also frankly there's not that much food left where it is, it's already eaten all the major giants. Also, how effectively do we think we can tear it away? If it decides to eat now, given that it was basically sucking the souls out of dudes instantaneously at the point we left it, could we possibly act fast enough to stop it from eating what's left in front of it? It might just suck them all up instantly anyway the moment it feels us coming for it. I kind of doubt it can get powerful enough to defeat Genin on what it has left there, so the issue seems more about getting to it before it gets to Genin, less about before it gets too powerful, and I'll bet we have a couple minutes before it finishes its sermonizing and goes for the door.
There is no limit to how much it wants to eat. As to the other part of your question, you do not know.

Razakai posted:

I wonder if the reason Amok's demons were able to be sealed is because they were trapped inside an actual body rather than being a big ol' cloud of bloodmurderhunger.

Diog, do we have any knowledge that would let us put Demonkidel back inside a physical body?
You think you could, but it could probably leave and struggle all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Voutecount complete, had some trouble with the sheet not registering extra letters, but I think this is correct?

Anyway, K has the most votes for now.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Diog, is it possible for us to have a baby with Demonkidel?

What just happened? You blacked out for a moment.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I think those blackouts are a warning from the powers-that-be of an idea which would end all creation.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Diogines posted:

Someone put a blackout on any knowledge that has to do with fertility.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Diogines posted:

Uh oh.

Thinking about the earth beneath our feet. Could we will it to form a deep pit of stone or metal and then seal it, like the Goblin demon?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Is it possible to have a baby at all with anyone?

Then when the blackout happens, think very hard "I NEED SOME loving HELP HERE. STOP CENSORING ME AND TALK TO ME."

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting is closed.

Absum
May 28, 2013

The blackouts are probably part of what Ishamal did way back. I doubt someone is actively blocking this currently fairly pointless stuff.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Someone put a blackout on any knowledge that has to do with fertility.

RadicalR posted:

Is it possible to have a baby at all with anyone?

Then when the blackout happens, think very hard "I NEED SOME loving HELP HERE. STOP CENSORING ME AND TALK TO ME."

Arkanomen posted:

Uh oh.

Thinking about the earth beneath our feet. Could we will it to form a deep pit of stone or metal and then seal it, like the Goblin demon?
Physical barriers are less substantial to it than smoke to a man.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Diogines posted:

Physical barriers are less substantial to it than smoke to a man.

Knowing what we know about Demonkidel, is it possible we can take the form of a sexy-shedemonkidel and seduce Demonkidel for all time?

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Holy poo poo stop thinking about bab- fertili-

Stop thinking about the thing that goes in the thing and makes the thing

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Diogines posted:

There is no limit to how much it wants to eat. As to the other part of your question, you do not know.

Oh, right, I meant how much it needs to be stronger than Snarls, but I think you covered that regardless, we don't know.

Voting closed eh? drat. I really feel like it was a waste to only reach out to one contact, even if people didn't like praying, I wish they'd voted to at least hit Mt. Har, Azz and the Guardian/Ish all at once. Why not? :(

RadicalR posted:

Pretty sure nobody is actively censoring us, it has to be whatever Ish did to us to keep us from having children. He rendered us infertile, and removed whatever part of us can even interact with the idea, to keep us from being able to restore ourself. The knowledge and our ability to retain the knowledge of what it means to reproduce has been cut out from us, we try to access it and it's just ... a void, or an error. I wonder how it was accomplished really, but I doubt it's an active party doing it.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Contemplating our Sandals gives us a sense of satisfaction. None of the other amazingly crafted items such as Ruth's ring or the shield gave us such a sense did they? I wonder if we made the Sandals?

Consider the forest museum where we first got the flute and sandals. Do we know anything more about that place and the other objects there? Do we know where it is relative to our current location?

I am really opposed to sending out a general distress signal since we don't actually know who will receive it. Presumably anyone listening? It is more than possible that having Calamity loose in the world is considered a good thing by some entities. It might also not be the most important problem going on in a world where Amok is awake and Asherah's chains are about to break. We are being Watched by all those powers we can specifically identify. That might be a general thing, but I am guessing that a lot that has just gone down has been pretty loud and noticeable. Seems like it might win, but I don't feel it is a good idea.

Also, I think it was really interesting that basically Team Hunger elected a crisis management leader with many people relinquishing their votes even before they knew the content the Crisis Management Fish would come up with. The Hunger Management Plan was interesting. Not sustainable given escalation and immediate surroundings, but interesting.

I truly did not expect that vote to be 2:1. Surprising.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Theglavwen posted:

Oh, right, I meant how much it needs to be stronger than Snarls, but I think you covered that regardless, we don't know.

Voting closed eh? drat. I really feel like it was a waste to only reach out to one contact, even if people didn't like praying, I wish they'd voted to at least hit Mt. Har, Azz and the Guardian/Ish all at once. Why not? :(

Pretty sure nobody is actively censoring us, it has to be whatever Ish did to us to keep us from having children. He rendered us infertile, and removed whatever part of us can even interact with the idea, to keep us from being able to restore ourself. The knowledge and our ability to retain the knowledge of what it means to reproduce has been cut out from us, we try to access it and it's just ... a void, or an error. I wonder how it was accomplished really, but I doubt it's an active party doing it.

Oh man, he lobotomized the very concept of fertility from our very soul!

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Sogol posted:

I am really opposed to sending out a general distress signal since we don't actually know who will receive it. Presumably anyone listening? It is more than possible that having Calamity loose in the world is considered a good thing by some entities. It might also not be the most important problem going on in a world where Amok is awake and Asherah's chains are about to break. We are being Watched by all those powers we can specifically identify. That might be a general thing, but I am guessing that a lot that has just gone down has been pretty loud and noticeable. Seems like it might win, but I don't feel it is a good idea.

Looks like just contacting Mt. Har won, so you don't have to worry, although there was never a plan for a 'general distress signal', but a targeted emergency broadcast. Not just emitting it for anyone at all to hear, but beaming it to everybody we thought would be amenable.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am now persuaded that we have been here before, decided to mess with time, sent ourselves a message to not come and these are the dire consequences. I can't be persuaded this is not the case.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Oh also just a few other questions for ya Diog, whenever. No rush.

Are we able to sense lineages currently, as Tudiya stated he was able to when he undoubtedly knew we were of Zepa's line? If this answer is No, ignore the following questions.

If so, do any of the Balls notably not seem to share Zepa's lineage?

Does Asahel register as of Zepa's line?
I know he's not our biological son, but does he register as a descendant of Zepa?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Theglavwen posted:

Looks like just contacting Mt. Har won, so you don't have to worry, although there was never a plan for a 'general distress signal', but a targeted emergency broadcast. Not just emitting it for anyone at all to hear, but beaming it to everybody we thought would be amenable.

Great, right back down the poo poo path.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Also, apparently Paebel has a psychic link to us or Snarls.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

There Bias Two posted:

Oh man, he lobotomized the very concept of fertility from our very soul!

... and we still managed to reproduce by spiritual mitosis.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Tsyni posted:

Yeh, I don't trust Mt. Har as far as I can throw it.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Tsyni posted:

I just honestly don't get why we didn't at least try to hit up Azz and the Guardian as well. In our current form we can handle multiple conversations at once, there was everything to gain and nothing to lose, I really don't get it :confused:

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Theglavwen posted:

I just honestly don't get why we didn't at least try to hit up Azz and the Guardian as well. In our current form we can handle multiple conversations at once, there was everything to gain and nothing to lose, I really don't get it :confused:

Fortunately it will probably be the work of the moment, and if we need to we can send out another SOS burst immediately after this one.

Assuming poo poo doesn't get weird right away. Which...well. Yeah.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Theglavwen posted:

For what it's worth, we might just be doing the votes in order. Presumably we still have problems coordinating multiple conversations at once in our head, so we'd send a message to Mt. Har, microseconds pass, maybe we get a response or maybe not, and then we vote again.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sogol posted:

Also, apparently Paebel has a psychic link to us or Snarls.

I am sure this is linked to the invisibility field we feed him via [???]. It will be interesting to understand how that actually works and why it was formed. Maybe just because we're bffs.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Theglavwen posted:

The question said we're voting one action at a time.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Would it be possible to bend the shield into a ball and stuff the weakened demon into it?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nyaa posted:

Would it be possible to bend the shield into a ball and stuff the weakened demon into it?

He'd probably just eat it... He did say physical barriers are more meaningless than smoke to a man.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Nyaa posted:

Stop trying to pokemon a demon!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

More importantly, there's a bit of a logical issue here - if we could bend the shield, the demon could likely bend it back.

Unless we got a very significant advantage in strength over him, anyways, which we don't now.

Edit: Hey, actually, anyone feel like going back to the Smythos update to see how we beat our Enemy there? I can't recall and I'm too lazy to check now.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We restrained it so people could flee

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Could we put the demon into a body, then physically restrain it?

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

The question said we're voting one action at a time.

Yes but it was possible to wrap contacting all of them into one action. Sending out the message to multiple people at once, then awaiting their replies. We're even capable of handling multiple conversations at once while we're in our unembodied state.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Diogines posted:

Voting is closed.

Well, this is what I get for being distractable. (Had decided on a TJ vote, forgot to cast it.)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tomn posted:

More importantly, there's a bit of a logical issue here - if we could bend the shield, the demon could likely bend it back.

Unless we got a very significant advantage in strength over him, anyways, which we don't now.

Edit: Hey, actually, anyone feel like going back to the Smythos update to see how we beat our Enemy there? I can't recall and I'm too lazy to check now.

Pages 45-46 of Diog posts. We were able to incapacitate it, but Diog never says explicitly that we ever kill our Foe. I suspect we drain it of so much [???] that it just becomes lethargic and stops struggling. We can't kill them. Only trap them far away from people.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The only way we really, truly can get rid of our Permanent hunger demon would be to get something much stronger to eat it and absorb it.

But then you gotta deal with the even stronger thing, which might be even worse.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Hey El, feeling hungry?

(this is a terrible, terrible idea)

Asherah
Feb 3, 2015

Imagine a maw chomping on a human face -- forever.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The only way we really, truly can get rid of our Permanent hunger demon would be to get something much stronger to eat it and absorb it.

But then you gotta deal with the even stronger thing, which might be even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Exactly.