Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Oh man #27 on the other team just - feels - it :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
beauty of a shot

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Dangerllama posted:

Isn't there still a gdocs kicking around that has everyone's edge, shin guard length, locale, shot preference, and whether or not they enjoy long walks on the beach?

I go 1/2" like a gentleman

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BOwvLuAgLPRvSFSIf7KdTrykMu7mcS51HhRXDe6IWM4/edit#gid=0

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

That was an epic shot.

:lol: at left D's backwards shuffle. Poor dude needs some skating lessons. :(

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm the beer league goalie 10 feet out of the net losing my angle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

doctor 7 posted:

That was an epic shot.

:lol: at left D's backwards shuffle. Poor dude needs some skating lessons. :(

Or showing any urgency at all. Standing around watching the game and getting caught flat footed when it comes your way? Yeah you gonna get burned.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

Or showing any urgency at all. Standing around watching the game and getting caught flat footed when it comes your way? Yeah you gonna get burned.

Yeah. The adult learn to play hockey I'm doing has been great for that kind of thing in regards to giving you basic advice that you just wouldn't know otherwise.

Such as keep up with the play, keeping the forward to the outside by aligning outside-inside shoulders and when you want to be within poke check distance. All of which fell apart there. I guess he was hanging back far because he can't skate too fast backwards though, which I see a bit and did myself until I started to be able to skate backwards with a bit of speed.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I totes did a knee-slide celly.
jesus christ

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

I'm bad at maintaining speed through a pivot so if I'm the D facing the incoming play but there's still a significant gap I always have a moment of indecision whether I should start skating backwards (widening the gap in the short term and increasing the need to maneuver) or wait/maneuver vaguely forward and go for the Jedi pokecheck but then (probably) have to turn and chase. There is also some just not understanding what kind of gap is optimal in there, too. Anyway, the result is bad, unless the oncoming skater freaks out and stops advancing.

Semi-related, I helped coach a beginner session maybe a month ago where my whole job was to stand there like I was trying to stop a breakout but not actually poke check or bother them in any way. Most of the girls were OK with that. But when I started just slowly skating backwards in front of them a surprising number suddenly lost their minds. Personally I will lose my mind trying to skate around even someone who I know has the mobility of a sofa so I get it, I just always assumed I was alone on the short bus for that one.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

HZ post the winning goal so we can see your ridiculous celebration and probably the "SILVER CHAMPIONS 2015" hats and shirts you had made just in case.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
That goalie must've done his scouting. He completely ignored your other forwards in that video.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Holy loving poo poo.

My Silver team won the championship tonight and it was probably one of the best games I've ever been a part of. It was back and forth all night and we were tied 2-2 going into the third. They scored an early one in the third and we were playing from behind 3-2 for the rest of the game. We pulled the goalie with 90 seconds left, had to put him back in for a defensive-zone faceoff, then pulled him again. With a minute left, I brought the puck in down on the right-side and sniped the top corner to tie it up with a minute left in the game. I totes did a knee-slide celly.

We went into a 5-minute sudden-death OT and won it a couple minutes in on a garbage rebound goal.

gently caress

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61JSwOOUCYg

Nice snipe man! Feels gooood. You need to do the "X/A/Superman" celly NHL 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-xuwWb7FZc&t=23s

Guessing that's a GoPro camera you're filming with, do you use a suction cup mount to mount it to the glass?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pleads posted:

HZ post the winning goal so we can see your ridiculous celebration and probably the "SILVER CHAMPIONS 2015" hats and shirts you had made just in case.

I was not on the ice for the game-winner. I had the "strut in front of their bench" loaded in the chamber though.

We had championship rings pre-made. I am glad we don't have to ship them to Africa. Our parade is on Friday.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Gio posted:

jesus christ

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

I was not on the ice for the game-winner. I had the "strut in front of their bench" loaded in the chamber though.

We had championship rings pre-made. I am glad we don't have to ship them to Africa. Our parade is on Friday.

Only half of this post is fake.

Gio posted:

jesus christ

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DeNofa posted:

Guessing that's a GoPro camera you're filming with, do you use a suction cup mount to mount it to the glass?

Yeah, GoPro/suction cup behind the glass. I need the extended battery for it to last a full game. My buddy on the other team had his at the other end of the ice too. Should make for some good footage.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm bad at maintaining speed through a pivot so if I'm the D facing the incoming play but there's still a significant gap I always have a moment of indecision whether I should start skating backwards (widening the gap in the short term and increasing the need to maneuver) or wait/maneuver vaguely forward and go for the Jedi pokecheck but then (probably) have to turn and chase. There is also some just not understanding what kind of gap is optimal in there, too. Anyway, the result is bad, unless the oncoming skater freaks out and stops advancing.

If you are in the offensive zone or the neutral zone you can give up a bit of gap to get up to speed, but it needs to be closed up by the time you get to your own blue line, and a 'play' made on the forward by the time you get to the top of the circles, in a 1 on 1 anyway. Any deeper and you are in your goalies way. Keep yourself between the net and the forward and at the very least force them outside.

If they go behind the net DONT CHASE THEM BEHIND THE NET. If you are a beginner defensemen, unless the puck is loose and you are pretty sure you can get it then you should never be behind your own net in a defensive situation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pinky Artichoke posted:

The rule of thumb I've been given is you transition when the attacker reaches your 2 'o clock (or 10) position. This is for even matched skaters.. if they're significantly faster than you, pivot sooner. A two stick gap is ideal, but again, the details depend on your skill level versus theirs.

A poke check is probably ill advised, because it means you've committed and they can dance around you. Just do whatever you can to clog their field of view and edge them towards the boards. Eventually they're going to realize they need to make a move, and hopefully your skating has forced a bad decision.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Wow this is pretty old.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

The rule of thumb I've been given is you transition when the attacker reaches your 2 'o clock (or 10) position. This is for even matched skaters.. if they're significantly faster than you, pivot sooner. A two stick gap is ideal, but again, the details depend on your skill level versus theirs.

A poke check is probably ill advised, because it means you've committed and they can dance around you. Just do whatever you can to clog their field of view and edge them towards the boards. Eventually they're going to realize they need to make a move, and hopefully your skating has forced a bad decision.

I think we're talking about different pivots (I'm probably using the wrong terminology because what I'm thinking of is what I first learned as a J-turn, but then saw people calling a pivot? I don't even know.). Basically, where you skate forward to challenge the oncoming attacker but then change direction/transition to backward to stay in front of them as they advance. Except I know I'll scrub off enough speed in that direction change that I'm reluctant to skate up. Pivoting from back to front if the attacker is fast enough to get to 2 o'clock is much easier to do at speed since it's just an open step from inside edge to inside edge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh, that kind of pivot. :v:

I call them transitions, but not the OTHER transition where you just shift from forward to backwards skating in a straight line (which people around me have started calling mohawks, which are not what I thought mohawks were).

loving hockey lingo.

Right, if you aren't really good at holding speed on those moves it's a risky maneuver.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hmm.

http://pha.goalline.ca/suspensions.php

I wonder if it was prompted by a hymen related chirp.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

5 minute major for WHAT?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

245 PC is some sort of USA hockey rule or are they talking about California Penal Code 245 aka assault with a weapon? (I want to believe)
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/1/8/9/s245

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I try and get in the beer league mindset before pickup games... For some reason I decided to act Canadian and drink Labatt.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
OK, if someone showered me with tampons on the ice I would laugh my rear end off (and then probably trip on a tampon), but there's actually a RULE about it?!

I love your rink's mood lighting.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Vargatron posted:

I try and get in the beer league mindset before pickup games... For some reason I decided to act Canadian and drink Labatt.

Canadians don't drink Labatt.

Do you get to play in the disco lights on the ice? That would be fun.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Pleads posted:

Canadians don't drink Labatt.

Nah that was actually the tail end of public skate. I got in a bit early and decided to have a beer before the game. Although it would have been super fun to play with the disco lights on and a glow puck...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

OK, if someone showered me with tampons on the ice I would laugh my rear end off (and then probably trip on a tampon), but there's actually a RULE about it?!

i heard some idiot is banned from one of the rinks here due to something involving tampons and an official

Pleads posted:

i think zeb had an incident where one of the disco light / lazer things was still on and "caused a goal" and he complained but now its ok because he moved to a farm

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Vargatron posted:

Nice, my Saturday was a mess and I didn't make it out. How was the turn out? Last time I tried to go to pickup it was already filled up at 9:30.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Fingers McGee posted:

Nice, my Saturday was a mess and I didn't make it out. How was the turn out? Last time I tried to go to pickup it was already filled up at 9:30.

Had 3 goalies and enough on the benches for two full lines on each side. I was going to do stick time earlier that day, but it already was filled up by the time we got there from Greenville. I'll probably come back up this coming weekend.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Draft skate for D2 league tonight. Instructional League (with and against xzzy) has been great, but the Sunday morning time slot is in direct conflict with my side business operations, so it's time to move on up to beer league.

Summer Coed D2 was good again this year, and I did improve year over year (1g, 3a last summer to 4g, 1a this summer). Just a shame we keep losing on ties in the playoffs.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Head down crossing the blue line and you're still standing? What kind of bush league is this?!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

cage chat: since cracking my front-tooth in half i have been wearing a cage. i really hate wearing a cage. it's like sex with a condom on.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

thats skating with socks on, silly

Zip! posted:

Head down crossing the blue line and you're still standing? What kind of bush league is this?!

the defenseman on the play is in great position to curl

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 26, 2015

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3YwLfTmFg4

If ever there was a time to take a penalty in one of your namby pamby no fun leagues...

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

Hmm.

Hahahaha

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

Hmm.

Well, huh. At least it wasn't poo poo-in-a-glove.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

thats skating with socks on, silly

the defenseman on the play is in great position to curl

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

Hmm.

Can I share this?