Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Is there a ranger cross-talent that gives you a bear cub or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
In a perfect world, the Ranger cross-class talent would make pets lesser animal companions.

In this world it gives you a slightly weakened Wounding Shot once per encounter.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One day, Eder. One day ...

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Wizard Styles posted:

In a perfect world, the Ranger cross-class talent would make pets lesser animal companions.

In this world it gives you a slightly weakened Wounding Shot once per encounter.

I think multi-class talents are suppose to be there to support alternate playstyles that lean into other classes, so whether they're balanced or not is less important to me than whether they're useful for those styles. A weakened Wounding Shot for example I would probably take on a ranged Paladin or a Chanter build.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

frajaq posted:

So is the expansion worth it or what

maybe give it more than 2 hours :V

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

This is the point where I regret purchasing the backer beta instead of the expansion :(

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I can't loving wait to give my level 7 ranged cypher (gimped) sneak attack.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Scorchy posted:

I think multi-class talents are suppose to be there to support alternate playstyles that lean into other classes, so whether they're balanced or not is less important to me than whether they're useful for those styles. A weakened Wounding Shot for example I would probably take on a ranged Paladin or a Chanter build.

They could make it fun though. Mechanically a wounding shot, but call it falconry and have a bird shoot out from your shoulder.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Scorchy posted:

I have no real opinion on the Ranger cross-class talent, the only class I'd personally ever build for ranged combat to begin with is a Ranger.

I just love the pets and want my space pig to murder for me.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

:rolleyes: [Stoic]

is one of the better dialog options i've seen in a game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So are there more than 2 souls that you can Awaken in Stalwart or are those all I get?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Soooo I just tried retraining my level 7 main character and it didn't reset my skills, so I ended up with basically doubled skill points. Repeatable when I reloaded and tried again. Anyone else seeing this bug?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Most of the cross class skills seem pretty wank at the moment except for the Fighter Regen and the Paladin +4 AoE accuracy buff.

I've heard that in the new patch Wildshape got a pretty good buff: base 24-48 damage on the claws at level 12. This means with Wildstrike Corrode, Greater Wild-strike, Savage Attack, Spirit of Decay, High Might and Two Weapon fighting you can rack up some serious damage e.g. 80s and 90s. Not sure if this has synergy with the monk cross class talent ...?

I've also learned the hard way that the AI has been vastly improved and enemies are much more likely to go straight for your squishies unless you can get a choke point. Glass cannon builds just flat out won't work well anymore on POTD and you're going to need to sacrifice a lot of offence for the sake of defence. I'm probably going to put my backline in medium armour and retrain them so their CON/RES is higher.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'd be fairly interested in hearing if anyone's figured out the new AI mechanics for aggroing. Are enemies more likely to break away from your tanks for damage done, attempted crowd control, your defences or your damage reduction?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dick Burglar posted:

Soooo I just tried retraining my level 7 main character and it didn't reset my skills, so I ended up with basically doubled skill points. Repeatable when I reloaded and tried again. Anyone else seeing this bug?

I let QA and programming know about this but they have not been able to reproduce this. Would you be able to provide a save game? Sorry for the trouble, and thank you.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ended up killing the new dragon the same way i killed the adra dragon. mind plaguing it and then having everybody attack it. only took 2 mind plagues(they crit) to down it.

also i made peace with the ogre matron, but in Durgan's battery, a group of ogres still goes hostile even though one of them says to let me be

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 26, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Sent you a PM, rope kid.

I would also like to add that I am a little bummed that Drifter's skill bonus got changed from Survival to Mechanics. Well not really, since there needed to be more Mechanics options, but I wish I would be able to change it on my pre-existing character to Hunter, since I'm playing a druid who has zero use for Mechanics and both origins fit thematically.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 26, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
What a great fight in the Mines. And no, I'm not talking about the fight with the barricade of dwarven infantry providing cover for ranged attackers while another group of ranged attackers snipes at you from a balcony. That one requires strategy and positioning, which is totally loving retarded. No, I like the one where it summons a metric shitton of loving ghosts that guard a key you need to get through the area. Not just any ghosts, but ghosts that can grab my guys from across the loving map and teleport them into a group of ghosts that stun on their basic attacks. That's great. I'm glad that you put two of the teleport ghosts in this fight, because otherwise I would have a small shred of hope that if I kill that ghost or maybe just sacrifice one of my dudes so I can gank it, I'd be fine. But hell, you covered your grounds, Obsidian.

I like the expansion but this fight loving sucks.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I started a new game so haven't gotten to the new content yet but man the party AI has been a pleasant surprise. It seemed a little light at first but just a little has gone a long way, especially for trash encounters. For example Durance drops Interdiction and my rogue immediately uses Crippling and Eder uses Knockdown right away.

Only thing I am not sure is the difference between Aggressive and one of the Defensive options in targeting. The text is basically the same except one says whether you are targeted or not by an enemy. Does one simply go after the nearest guy while the other goes after an enemy that is targeting you like range guys? Sorry if this is not fully clear trying to go off memory.

Also I have already seen more disengagements from the enemy moving than I did in my entire previous playthrough.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So with the Perception change, what's a good stat spread for a melee cipher now?

Edit: Also at the level up screen, the cross-class abilities are all showing up as "Missing Abiliy 14xx" for me. I'm running the Steam/OSX version. Assuming that's just a release day bug?

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 26, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Considering you only get 1 accuracy per point in Perception, it doesn't seem particularly valuable. It's just unwise to dump-stat it like you could before. Probably should still just pump Might/Dex/Int and keep Perception at 10 instead of cratering it. Then again maybe I'm underestimating a handful of +accuracy.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

are there any adra animants in the expansion? because i've already cleared out basically every dungeon in the base game, including the endless paths, so not being to upgrade this soulbound estoc would really loving suck.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 26, 2015

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
Downloaded and installed, but I'll probably not be able to try this out until the weekend. Just wondering, does the baby sneak attack stack with the baby sneak attack priests of Skaen can get?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Man, I started this at level 6 on hard and I feel like I'm not quite buff enough to handle it. I got through the first battle after a few attempts and now there's some random group of frost trolls in the woods that's punking me pretty hard.

On the other hand I haven't used scrolls at all and my party almost all have like 6 lore. So it's probably on me.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Figured out the Autotarget difference. The Defensive one will only seek out nearby guys while Aggressive goes anywhere. The descriptions are exactly the same except Defensive has the word nearby.

I am annoyed respecs say they will reset Attributes for someone like Eder but you can't actually change them.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

So with the Perception change, what's a good stat spread for a melee cipher now?

Edit: Also at the level up screen, the cross-class abilities are all showing up as "Missing Abiliy 14xx" for me. I'm running the Steam/OSX version. Assuming that's just a release day bug?

Do you still / did you ever have the beta version downloaded on steam? I don't know for sure if your issue is related, but still having the beta enabled after the expansion downloaded had me in some half-measure broken version.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Have the npc attributes been tweaked to go along with the changes?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Kobogartimer posted:

Do you still / did you ever have the beta version downloaded on steam? I don't know for sure if your issue is related, but still having the beta enabled after the expansion downloaded had me in some half-measure broken version.

Go to game properties in Steam, local files, and verify integrity of cache.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kobogartimer posted:

I did. I just went into properties and opted out of the beta, and now it's downloading a 3.5 gig file so uh...we'll see if that works? The entry in my library still said "Pillars of Eternity (beta)" so that might have been it.

Scorchy posted:

Go to game properties in Steam, local files, and verify integrity of cache.

Otherwise I'll try this.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Started a new game, found a bug: I picked up an amulet with +2 Per, but equipping it on my main character has no effect. If I equip it on Eder or Aloth it works fine, though. It isn't being suppressed or anything because it is the only item I have with any +attributes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Where do you go to switch to AI or auto-attack? I can't find them.

*Edit* And just when I post this I figure it out.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Has anyone tried IE Mod after the patch? Am I worried about nothing?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
All right, what AI option do you have to set to where your guys will auto-attack the next enemy once they kill one? Because even with fiddling with the AI options some of of my guys just stand there and do nothing.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Ouch, the -5 Deflection hit on Defender. I guess this was to make Defender less of the clear cut, obvious choice for king of the defensive modals. I would've liked it if Wary Defender's additional deflection bonus was merely lessened (unless the patch also changed that already) to achieve the same overall net amount of deflection, but I understand the base ability has to have some sort of trade off. Personally, I think I'll just leave Defender mode off until I get Wary Defender to mitigate the loss of tankiness.

On the plus side, now that Defender doesn't reduce attack speed, tank fighters will probably see a slight bump in DPS.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Eh the real meat of Defender always was the extra engagement anyway

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

rope kid posted:

Letting people have levels of spells is much more complicated than offering individual spells or abilities. I did not receive a lot of feedback on the cross-class Talents from the team or QA, but it's not difficult to tune existing abilities/talents up.

Yeah I really think you should tune up the abilities. Why on earth should I pick as a two handed fighter anything other than the baby sneak attack when deciding cross-class skills? I'm sure they have their situational use but passive 15% bonus damage whenever someone gets debuffed is way better than any individual per rest ability available as a Fighter. Even if it was just 5% more damage- I would still pick it over any watered down per rest ability. It turns my frequent knockdowns into even more serious damage windows.

The abilities should be given significantly more per rest uses or be made per encounter, I think.

quote:

Honestly engagement on player-controlled party members seems pointless. It's more a mechanic to punish you than the other way around. I think I had a grand total of 3 disengagement attacks this expansion. Don't think I had a single one in the vanilla campaign. Even with the more frequent movement of enemies this expansion it's just not reliable like increasing your actual damage or utility is.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 26, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

frajaq posted:

but isn't the AI more likely to break engagement now? Do chokepoints still reign supreme?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Accordion Man posted:

All right, what AI option do you have to set to where your guys will auto-attack the next enemy once they kill one? Because even with fiddling with the AI options some of of my guys just stand there and do nothing.

Auto-attack set to Aggressive.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Also thanks for that new fighter ability. We really needed another good active and it's a killer. I knockdown then Eder follows up. It's basically in PoE format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Has anyone found the helmet circular stone for the mines? I swear I am on a wild goose chase with this.

• Locked thread