Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

rope kid posted:

On an unrelated note, I've had conversations with Feargus about doing a small scope turn-based historical low fantasy game and they haven't ended with me being kicked out of his office/the building.

Something like Darklands, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Considering he was streaming exactly that some time ago I'd say yes

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I suppose we will hit level 15 for the second expansion? I'm too :spergin: about level caps that don't end in a 0 or a 5.

Also Nuuvem has an awesome deal, I picked up The White March for $7 from them. My brother picked up both PoE and the White March for $21.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Also on Steam and GOG sale for 33% off, until Friday morning PDT. Awesome to see it back at #2 and #3 on the sales chart right now.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Just getting to play now, I agree some of the multi-class talents are maybe a little aggressively tuned.

Acolyte's Radiance (1/rest) - weaker Priest Holy Radiance, heal + burn AoE
Apprentice's Sneak Attack (passive) - weaker Sneak attack, at 15% instead of 30%
Aspirant's Mark (2/rest) - weaker Druid Nature's Mark (AoE deflection debuff)
Enigma's Charm (1/encounter) - weaker Cipher charm
Gallant's Focus (modal) - Paladin's +accuracy aura
Novice's Suffering (passive) - Monk's unarmed damage (scales up as you level)
Outlander's Frenzy (1/rest) - Barbarian's Frenzy
Prestidigitator's Missiles (2/rest) - Wizard's magic missiles
Rhymer's Summon (1/encounter) - Chanter's skeleton summons (can't be cast within first 15 seconds of combat)
Runner's Wounding Shot (1/encounter) - Ranger's Wounding Shot (hobbled and DoT)
Veteran's Recovery (passive) - Fighter's endurance recovery

The Priest and Barbarian per rest ones are very annoying since their base spells are per encounter. The wizard one is also real bad, I think if it was 1/encounter and scaled by level instead of 2/rest it'd be worth considering. The rest I can see being useful in certain builds. I don't think they should be too good to the point where they're no-brainers, but they should be at least worth considering.

Also kinda wish they were moved up to level 4 so newcomers aren't overwhelmed with them all at level 2.

Scorchy fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 26, 2015

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The baby sneak attack for Fighters, Rangers, Monks, Cipher, certain builds of Chanters seems like an obvious no brainer. Fighters, Rangers, some Ciphers in particular can get a ton of mileage out of it per encounter.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 26, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Baby Sneak Attack??? yes loving please put it on god tier

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So most of my saves are at the end of the game, can I beat the boss again and the go back to my base or what?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh poo poo I didn't realize this came out today, awesome! :neckbeard:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hipster Occultist posted:

So most of my saves are at the end of the game, can I beat the boss again and the go back to my base or what?
If you've got one from before you jumped you can use it, otherwise you're SOL friend

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think only the wizard missiles is really the standout on that list for really weak.

That endurance recovery one is probably secretly overpowered if it's set to like 1 or 0.5. The sneak attack one is basically free damage and will probably be the most often picked.

So do your fists level like monk fists if you take the monk one? I am skeptical if it does but that does sound cool. I guess in practice that talent is probably not the most useful thing.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you've got one from before you jumped you can use it, otherwise you're SOL friend
Unless he's doing ironman the game auto-creates a pre-jump save.

Edit: also no doubt nobody cares but I had to opt out of the beta program before I got the quest hook. Don't know if anyone else is having that problem.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 26, 2015

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Rascyc posted:

I think only the wizard missiles is really the standout on that list for really weak.

That endurance recovery one is probably secretly overpowered if it's set to like 1 or 0.5. The sneak attack one is basically free damage and will probably be the most often picked.

So do your fists level like monk fists if you take the monk one? I am skeptical if it does but that does sound cool. I guess in practice that talent is probably not the most useful thing.

Fighter Constant Recovery one is base 1.5 endurance/sec.

The monk one starts at +5 unarmed damage and says it scales up dmg/accuracy as you level.

Forgot the Cipher one is a weaker Charm, can't be cast within first 5 seconds of combat.

McCheese
May 1, 2011
The monk talent effects druid's wildshape claws too apparently. That might make for some fun gimmicky build on stuff below potd.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

McCheese posted:

The monk talent effects druid's wildshape claws too apparently. That might make for some fun gimmicky build on stuff below potd.

Well crap I'm starting over now.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Just loaded up my save from April with my original Wizard character (save point right before the pit, having killed the Adra Dragon).

What should I know about what's changed? I feel like I've forgotten how to play this game.

Is there a good "here's everything that is new" summary anywhere?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Asking again since I presume a few people have reached that point: In Stalwart, are there only two souls I can awaken for the main quest or is that it? I feel like I've checked everywhere and the questlog says there still may be more.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

alcaras posted:

Just loaded up my save from April with my original Wizard character (save point right before the pit, having killed the Adra Dragon).

What should I know about what's changed? I feel like I've forgotten how to play this game.

Is there a good "here's everything that is new" summary anywhere?

I think this covers most of the major stuff not including the expansion features

Scorchy posted:

- A respec option for a fee
- New option to level up your companions from level 1 when you recruit them
- Customize your character portrait in-game
- Party AI scripts assignable to party members
- Lots of class balancing, especially Paladins, Ciphers, and Rangers
- UI tweaks including stash sorting, casting distance and PBAoE indicators
- Stealth separated by individual and not the entire group

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Barbarian with baby sneak + Slicken is going to be a lot of fun.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
These Lagufaeth fellas sure pack a punch.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Furism posted:

Barbarian with baby sneak + Slicken is going to be a lot of fun.

It's +2-3 damage.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Found a bug (I think). At the Fampyr fight at the western end of Russetwood several of the enemies were standing inside a description box and attempting to target enemies just made character run up and examine the scene instead (the mouse did change to a sword icon and the enemy was highlighting normally still)

The :rolleyes: reaction was pretty funny though

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The dragon fight mentioned in the achivements is really, really tough with my party of regular guys. May need to go stock up on stuff at the tower before I hit him.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm starting a new playthrough for TWM, going to try to use a party of custom characters on hard mode.

Can I realistically get away from having a Fighter as a tank? I know Eder is basically a superstar MVP god-tank, but It would be cool to not have to resort to hiring a fake-Eder and not suffer for it. I'm just starting out and I slapped some heavy armor on a Chanter, but I'm not sure how well it's going to work.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 26, 2015

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Well, the fact that enemies will now call for reinforcements sure make PotD interesting. I'm in the very first area of TWM and I'm getting gang-banged left and right.

I'm not sure I completely like the fact that enemies will now basically just ignore Engagement, either.

Scoss posted:

Can I realistically get away from having a Fighter as a tank?

Yes. Paladins are really good tanks.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Scoss posted:

I'm starting a new playthrough for TWM, going to try to use a party of custom characters on hard mode.

Can I realistically get away from having a Fighter as a tank? I know Eder is basically a superstar MVP god-tank, but It would be cool to not have to resort to hiring a fake-Eder and not suffer for it. I'm just starting out and I slapped some heavy armor on a Chanter, but I'm not sure how well it's going to work.
You can load up on sources of deflection and engagement from items and talents with just about any class. Paladins make good candidates because of their health, and excellent candidates as the main character because of conviction bonuses to defenses. Chanter is a good candidate because what the gently caress else are you going to take for talents, and some of their best active abilities work best on the front line.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
How's everyone finding the difficulty? I'm playing with a level 12 party on hard and chose buffed enemies when given the choice. I'm finding the fights too easy though. It's a little jarring to have an expansion that slots into the middle of a game rather than progress from the ending.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

adamarama posted:

How's everyone finding the difficulty? I'm playing with a level 12 party on hard and chose buffed enemies when given the choice. I'm finding the fights too easy though. It's a little jarring to have an expansion that slots into the middle of a game rather than progress from the ending.

PotD, level 12 party. That's one pull. All the enemies, including the Warmages, have 100+ Deflection (Soldiers have 122). Brawlers have only 80 or so but kill my squishies in about 3 rounds. The problem I have is that it's hard to find spots where to fight them, so I don't have much options I can think of. Ringleader works nicely, but it take time to build focus again. Slicken is a problem because the enemies run all over the place.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

adamarama posted:

I am not really a play on the hardest difficulty type of guy but I think PoE is at its best playing PoTD.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

evilmiera posted:

Asking again since I presume a few people have reached that point: In Stalwart, are there only two souls I can awaken for the main quest or is that it?
That's it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Hand Row posted:

I am not really a play on the hardest difficulty type of guy but I think PoE is at its best playing PoTD.

:agreed:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Quick question that's got nothing to do with the expansion. I'm in Sun-in-Shadow (entered it to finish the game and then BAM all of the buttons and mechanics changed slightly, great timing) and I can't move onto these stairs. Bug? Or? Am I missing something?

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
I've played and enjoyed all of the Infinity Engine games on the hardest levels and the new expansion has convinced me to finally get PoE. Can I start at PotD or is it going to be too frustrating?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Sounds like you could probably safely start on Path of the Damned. You probably shouldn't turn on Expert Mode though, and definitively not Trial of Iron.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Play PoTD. Only thing you might want to do is spoil where party members are so you can have a larger group early.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
Thanks. If I'm looking for build advice should I just go to the wiki?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

Thanks. If I'm looking for build advice should I just go to the wiki?

No, ask here. The wikis are outdated.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Furism posted:

No, ask here. The wikis are outdated.

Cool. I'll be sure to pester you guys about mages after I get home from work.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rope kid posted:

That's it.

Yeah, I already went with trying both of them out, to varying results. Still, beaten the main story content now, and plenty happy for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Scoss posted:

You can realistically get away from having tanks. I've never played with one on PotD (on Hard I turned Pallegina into one, hosed up her build because I didn't know what I was doing, and it was okay although I really regretted giving her Weapon & Shield Style in the end).

I have played the 2.0 version of the game for under 3 hours, so maybe that's changed somehow, but since enemies seem to care less about engagement now I don't see the stock of tanks going up.

MikeJF posted:

Quick question that's got nothing to do with the expansion. I'm in Sun-in-Shadow (entered it to finish the game and then BAM all of the buttons and mechanics changed slightly, great timing) and I can't move onto these stairs. Bug? Or? Am I missing something?

I think those stairs just don't go anywhere.

• Locked thread