Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Outrail posted:

Jesus. I've posted almost 1000 times in one thread?!

^^vv: :hf:

If it makes you better, I have more than second and third place combined!

Oh god what have I done with my life!?!?

I vote uh... uh... R - Play as someone who didn't spend long hours of his precious time on earth on this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I hope I have time to break 3000 posts

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Diogines posted:

I vote uh... uh... R - Play as someone who didn't spend long hours of his precious time on earth on this game!

The Hunger consumes us all!

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

SerSpook posted:

I hope I have time to break 3000 posts

come on man you know these numbers are small time

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

bonus hole boy posted:

come on man you know these numbers are small time

:ssh:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

John_A_Tallon posted:

Why stop there? Why not rebuild Enkidel's body as a woman before he jumps back in it? Lead by example!
I'd probably be fine with this. Could we swap, occasionally?

Also:

hollylolly posted:

What do we do after it eats the sun?
Eat plump helmets. Drink mushroom wine.

Diogines posted:

You made a PROMISE, Diogines! A solemn vow!

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Plan Basscop

I'm looking forward to the Odysseus route. I almost modified the vote to try to stop the hungerdemon too, we should clean up our mess regardless of what the Melachim want. But there's about an even chance we'd screw it up into a far worse disaster.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
Ab

It's plainly clear that we can't be trusted to handle things on our own. Time to face the music with some dignity.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DF Move the balls and rebuild our body from our old one. Then deal with Mr. Bitey.

Ab voters, DF is Ab but with the added bit of giving the balls a boost home so they don't get eaten by giants and sending dad's shield back.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

basscop

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
We've seen the sword of Smythos come down, we've seen the void outside the world, hell we might of even seen the world is round maybe we could've used that at some point,
it's all for naught now.

In the style of Snarls's namesake,

Chaos Dunk the Demon into space.

Now we are all sons of bitches, cuz it's a Slam Jam.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Basscop

gently caress da police.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
CF; staying the course assuming we can try to make sure to teleport the balls away from the Hunger Demon's path.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tsyni posted:

It actually was pretty close back then, I seem to recall... I think the vote itself even won, and then we went to the temple first to drop the injured guy off and then we decided not to go.

I think it had a lot of "Oh yeah, that'd be sweet.", but I don't remember it getting many actual votes.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bularin posted:

Basscop

gently caress da police.

But not the fish police.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Of course not. gently caress da fish police :tutbutt:

Voliun
May 31, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

DF Move the balls and rebuild our body from our old one. Then deal with Mr. Bitey.

Ab voters, DF is Ab but with the added bit of giving the balls a boost home so they don't get eaten by giants and sending dad's shield back.

In that case I'm voting for DF.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Df ^^^

I want Enkidel to end his story as a hero.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Slaan posted:

Of course not. gently caress da fish police :tutbutt:

:pervert:

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world
Df

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Guys I know my plan is late, but if we launch the demon into space it'll be away from any food source and go back to being mindlessly hungry, have no way to return with flapping useless wings in the void, and most importantly Enkidel can return through the Snarls tether. Also the demon might collide with Sojenus at some point.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
I'll add an F to my D vote.

I'll also be kinda sad if we go from "please please please I'll do anything to atone" to "haha, later nerds" in one update. Can we please just take responsibility? I know my message to the trio is kind of... caustic, but I do intend to do as they say, just after we see our family and followers to safety. I voted on the wrong side of the Great Disaster Vote, and I genuinely feel bad about that and want to make amends to the imaginary angel-gods and our other imaginary friends.

What I'm saying is, this has been a great game, fantastically realized; if it has to end, this seems like as good a way as any.

GloriousDemon posted:

Guys I know my plan is late, but if we launch the demon into space it'll be away from any food source and go back to being mindlessly hungry, have no way to return with flapping useless wings in the void, and most importantly Enkidel can return through the Snarls tether. Also the demon might collide with Sojenus at some point.

On the other hand, Diog, do we have any new information about the state of the physical universe that leads us to believe this could possibly work? If we know for a fact that space exists, I'd be alright with putting the demon in a stable orbit and loving off elsewhere.

Slightly Lions fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 27, 2015

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Plus, the demon can teleport itself as well, it just doesn't know it yet. Eventually, it would figure it out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Diogines posted:

On the other hand I never wrote Mrs Blyton a several hundred page letter telling her what Dick should do to Fanny in the next book.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

the_steve posted:

Plus, the demon can teleport itself as well, it just doesn't know it yet. Eventually, it would figure it out.

We are hopefully halfway to the North Pole by then.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009

the_steve posted:

Or it will become too hungry to think rationally. My plan is risky but it's the inbetween of abandoning the world to the fate of a demon god and just obeying orders to our death. It's a solution to an impossible problem on our terms not theirs.

Diogines posted:

Whatever limited fragments of control it has will be lost if it is starved.

Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(
Df, then.

Heck, I'm almost excited about this.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Plan BASSCOP

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Ab

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

D - Send the Balls back with the shield/belongings
The melachim forbade us from Telling them, not from Teleporting them :tipshat:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ab

I dont like the Melachim, I hate being kept in the dark, I hate being lied to, and I hate that we still don't know a goddamned thing, but we need to fix this.

Also I don't want to start an arguement, but won't plan Basscop result in our Balls never being able to return home with that forbidden knowledge and we'd probably starve without people worshipping us?

Travic fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 27, 2015

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Travic posted:

we'd probably starve without people worshipping us?

There does seem to be a bit of a problem there. We gain a small trickle as it is now, and we've just determined that it does indeed seem to have something to do with our relationships. Without people attached to us our small trickle will likely move to a small drain. We'd be able to wander alone for a while, if we top off from Snarls' well quite sufficiently and don't spend too much grappling the Demon we shouldn't have to worry about the passive drain, but sooner or later we'll need to find a way of replenishing our well, and if we can't find people to forge appropriate relationships with, there seems to be very few other ways we know of doing so...

Maybe we can create a race of sentient fish capable of worshipping us, and start populating the rivers...

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Maybe we create our own race of worshipers. A race of Dog people. Loyal Snarls clones mixed with Enkidel.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Tell our balls: Go home. Do not defy me in this, if you were ever my comrade, my friend, my brother, or my son, you will return home now and never return to this place.

Ab As before, get our body and lets kick this fuckers face North.

D But of course get them our shield and get them to gently caress out of here.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Blast, DF I guess. If we can, give the Balls a vision of us grappling with a mighty Demon and sailing north, far north towards Zepath. Some stray powers pick them up and whisk them along halfway with us. Have the vision involve Tudiya's shield dropping down as we pass over them, to explain its presence among them. That should make them want to continue on north to find where they think we've gone. I just can't comfortably reconcile an Enkidel who professes his sense of responsibility and asks for help, with one who then turns and leaves it all for someone else to deal with when he's not completely happy with the answer.

Should have voted for time compression.

Won't be around most of the next 24 hours so I suppose I'd best get that vote in now. Good game everyone.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
AB

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This has been an amazing trip for the balls. We almost strip our town of defenders because we want to bring as many as possible. Maximum balls for maximum tactical flexibility. Then we hike them through the wilderness for months and don't let them fight much of anything because we don't want anyone to get hurt. And then we go off alone, something goes wrong, and we tell them to go home.

Oh the tales they'll tell and the songs they'll sing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oh my god I have way too many posts. Time to quit for a week. Don't do anything I wouldn't do.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Theglavwen posted:

I dunno, honestly curious, what bad things do you suppose would have come from us knowing?

This is mostly an only semi-related rant - if you want a specific and direct answer to this exact question I'll jam it in right at the end, so skip down there if you're not interested in anything else.

But otherwise? What bad things might have come from us knowing? Here's my answer: We don't know. And that's the problem.

We don't know what the secrets of the universe are. We don't know what the Melachim are capable of. We don't know the nature of reality or of demons or of El. We don't know what price is involved with the use of power, nor the history of the use of power, nor the long-term repercussions that might emerge from the use of power. We don't know what secrets lead inevitably to more secrets which lead to more secrets which eventually leads to our splitting the atom on a whim. We don't know how exactly the afterlife works, or what Mt. Har is made of, or what happens to souls if they're eaten. We don't know, even, what we don't know.

And yet despite drowning in a sea of ignorance we proclaim our judgement superior to all those around us. Despite knowing nothing about what is possible or what the costs of any given action are, we despise the Melachim and all others for not having made of the world a perfect paradise. "What is the harm of using our powers to save our Balls?" we ask, without even understanding the basic nature of said powers. "Why do the Melachim not simply destroy all demons?" we say, knowing nothing of their relative strength. "Why don't Urians seek allies in distant lands to contend against the demons?" we wonder, knowing nothing of the history and diplomatic relationships that might exist between the powers outside of Ur. "Why did the Melachim not save Tanaach?" we rage, not knowing what the force composition and disposition of the Melachim were. Ignorant of the situation, unable to find an answer, we decide instead "The Melachim must be fools, incompetents who do not know how to do simple things, or else they must be malicious and manipulative, actively working to oppress humanity." We are the redneck who contemptuously snorts as he drives down the highway "What did the gubmint ever do for me aside from steal my hard-earned money in taxes?" We are the naive flower child asking "Why doesn't the US government simply give everyone in Africa a sandwich? They're rich and powerful enough, aren't they?"

"But our ignorance is not our fault!" I hear the response. "Had the Melachim simply told us the truth, offered us full disclosure, there would have been no problems!" But this is to miss the point, for as the Melachim admit themselves, "Only One is perfect in His wisdom." Even the Melachim do not know everything, and even if they told us all they know there would still be gaps in our knowledge, areas where even the Melachim know nothing about or are uncertain of. We will forever live with ignorance in one thing or another, forever have to deal with the uncertainty of not knowing the full and complete truth, for that is ultimately what it is to be mortal and not God. However much we know there will always be something we do not, and it is our attitude towards the unknown that has been judged and found wanting, for the Melachim see that upon finding new discoveries we think only of our short-term goals and desires, however noble, and see only what lies before us instead of what awaits beyond us.

"Nonsense," I hear again the cry. "Our judgement IS excellent! Given sufficient knowledge, we would make no error!" Really? And what have we done with the knowledge we DID possess, now? Leave aside what the Melachim did and didn't tell us - even with our own independent observations, we knew plenty about the Hunger Demons. We have felt the Hunger of Asherah. We had personal experience of the terror of being a Hunger Demon, and personal knowledge of what sorts of things might bring them about. We have seen a Hunger Demon, fought its imperishable wrath, watched it eat the souls of our men in in frenzied gluttony. We have spoken with Amok, been told of the Hunger that awaits us as part of our nature, told of a city destroyed by that Hunger and by the terrible nature of the thing. Down in Amalek there were even those confidently speculating that the monster we fought was what we would have become if we drained our Well! During that final, critical update, it was made perfectly plain, repeated a few times, even, what horrors would result if we chose not to die. Even had the Melachim told us nothing, even if Smythos had never shown us a dream, even if Ishamal had never warned us about the dangers of our existence, with our own eyes and ears we knew perfectly well about Hunger Demons. That was knowledge and knowledge in plenty, knowledge in spades, knowledge fit to fill a library to bursting, and what did we do with this knowledge, I ask? Did we show the vaunted judgement we so pride ourselves on? Did we demonstrate the wisdom that would inevitably result from information? Did we choose a course that led us out of disaster and into triumph?

Of course not. Some voted out of spite, some out of curiosity, some out of misunderstanding, some out of dogged stubbornness, but whatever the reason in the end, despite nearly perfect knowledge, we chose poorly. And you may excuse us for the fault, say it was honest error, but that is the point, isn't it? Even with knowledge we will suffer from lapses of judgement, from "honest error" that leads into consequences worse than anyone expected. And this, you say, is he who should be trusted with knowledge? This is the one who should stand at the forefront of truth, who should probe the seas of ignorance and plumb the depths of power? This is the one who should conduct his experiments and guide his curiosity where even the Melachim dare not go? Here then is one who can be trusted not to err, be the stakes ever so high?

Knowledge is no panacea, no cure-all. It does not by itself make our choices wise, nor our decisions sound. What was tested was not our knowledge but our judgement, our ability to face ignorance and yet still grasp enough of the truth to find our way through, and this test was necessary for however much we learned we would always need to face ignorance, and there would always lie great danger in that ignorance. Unable to navigate our way through an unfamiliar house without disaster, what right have we to navigate through an unfamiliar wilderness?

To answer your specific question, though, if you don't think goons would respond to confirmed knowledge of immortality by going "Don't be loving boring let's do something interesting, we can't die anyways!" I don't think you've been paying attention to the thread. Hell, if we were told of immortality I honestly would not be surprised if we got a current of voters trying to kill themselves just to see what it was like. And that's to say nothing of what would happen if we found ourselves in what we thought to be an important battle with vital consequences, at which point we'd charge the lightning in sure knowledge that it wouldn't kill us anyways. Cost and consequences are not something that's had a reliable hold on the goonmind. To say nothing, of course, of the fact that this would have raised all number of issues about Mt. Har, souls, and the afterlife, but then I suppose your response to that would be "Well they should have simply told us everything, then!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dang Tomn, you realy know how to cheer us up. :negative: