Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Jsor posted:

Didn't they disband the Tales studio and Team Destiny/Symphonia after Xillia, so Zestiria and all future installments are hybrid efforts?

Maybe you're thinking of how "Namco Tales Studio" ceased to exist as an independent entity and was absorbed into Bamco proper?

They've been saying the teams are combined since maybe before Graces and they certainly talk to each other more now but if you actually look at the games they've been putting out they seem to still be, at the very least, cycling which staff members are in charge of designing stuff each game along the old team lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Renoistic posted:

I can understand people being annoyed at that translation example since they completely changed both the tone and the characters' personalities. I do think the translated version is more entertaining but a localisation should still stick to the tone and intent of the original work. Otherwise the translators suggest the original work wasn't good enough to be kept intact. Of course, that might be true since we're talking video games, but still.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is you should be able to rewrite the dialogue to make flow better for English speakers while still keeping the characterization and overall tone intact.

FE:A's Japanese characters are apparently flat and boring and the Japanese dialogue is infested with creepy subservient waifu bullshit. The localization team did everyone a favor.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jsor posted:

Didn't they disband the Tales studio and Team Destiny/Symphonia after Xillia, so Zestiria and all future installments are hybrid efforts?

Yes and no. The Tales Studio was absorbed into Namco, and the teams do work more closely, but you can still very clearly tell when one team has more influence than the others. The Xillia games are more of Symphonia's style while Zestria's more of a Team Destiny kind of game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

FE:A's Japanese characters are apparently flat and boring and the Japanese dialogue is infested with creepy subservient waifu bullshit. The localization team did everyone a favor.

Those are all things people say about the game as-is.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Motto posted:

Those are all things people say about the game as-is.

Imagine what it would be like if 8-4 didn't throw their filter on it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Imagine what it would be like if 8-4 didn't throw their filter on it.

It'd probably be really boring to read if we're to call normal localization a "filter".

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 29, 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Having 8-4 rewrite so much of the dialogue you are saying makes it sound as if they are putting a poo poo-load of lipstick on a really hideous pig. If the games are so bad and skeezy they have to be fixed by the localization team, perhaps noone should buy them and support the company at all? Note this is coming from someone who has no never had any interest in the FE games.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 29, 2015

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Or threshholds and standards are different in different cultures

If we start playing with that logic we'll have to burn the Vita thread to the loving ground, which I'm okay with but

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Renoistic posted:

Having 8-4 rewrite so much of the dialogue you are saying makes it sound as if they are putting a poo poo-load of lipstick on a really hideous pig. If the games are so bad and skeezy they have to be fixed by the localization team, perhaps noone should buy them and support the company at all? Note this is coming from someone who has no never had any interest in the FE games.

Because people who make vague, general statements about what a game was like in ~the original japanese~ aren't particularly trustworthy. Fire Emblem Fates alone has had several stupid controversies based on misinterpretations and hearsay.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I for one cannot wait to pet my sister

Xenoblade should also have petting

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:yeah:

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Motto posted:

It'd probably be really boring to read if we're to call normal localization a "filter".

Wowza, you sure know how to warp the context of what people say. You should localize a video game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Motto posted:

Because people who make vague, general statements about what a game was like in ~the original japanese~ aren't particularly trustworthy. Fire Emblem Fates alone has had several stupid controversies based on misinterpretations and hearsay.

This is pretty much all I (need to) know about FE. (linked because I wouldn't want to explain Nowi to my boss) http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=040813

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are we back to needing the poo poo core image yet because I can feel it coming.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wowza, you sure know how to warp the context of what people say. You should localize a video game.

There's no filtering going on with localization. 8-4 translates games as is normal nowadays, and dumb japanophiles cry about them changing the game because it isn't a bad literal translation, as is also normal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

... I have literally no idea how you'd get that from what people said but alright.

Renoistic posted:

This is pretty much all I (need to) know about FE. (linked because I wouldn't want to explain Nowi to my boss) http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=040813

You play Atelier games.

Like straight up. Fire Emblem by and large is extremely tame. Nowi is probably the worst thing in the franchise. Going "Well, this has a bad design so it's a bad game for pedophiles" is straight-up ridiculous from someone who recommends Atelier games in the Vita thread. And I'll defend Atelier games by and large as not being as bad as people suspect but Fire Emblem is tamer than they are.

Edit: Hell, I recall you posting about buying the new Metal Gear game. The previous Metal Gear game literally featured a mission where you date a bikini-clad 14 year old. (Who is secretly legal and then in the following game is raped and murdered with an implanted bomb heavily implied to be in her fiddly bits.) If you're calling Fire Emblem a 'really hideous pig' then I can only assume you consider Metal Gear to be a gorgon who will turn you to stone upon first glance.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 29, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NOA will be tweeting about their Xenoblade X panel at PAX and a recording will be uploaded shortly afterwards.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Xenogears is my favourite RPG and everyone should play it.

If you've ever dealt with a frustrating RPG and finished it, you'll love Xenogears.

There are definite frustrations, but the story is still very cool.

And lol at people playing anything after Tales of Destiny, that was the series peak.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I sometimes see people praise xenogears and I just don't get it. Literally everything about it felt poorly thought out from the confusing story to it's boring battle system (combo mechanic literally never came into use once in my run through it). It had forgettable characters, awful music outside like one or two tracks and then the entirety of the second half happened where it turns into the worlds worst visual novel where every fight just boiled down to "activate id mode and win the fight."

Like man that game is awful, only thing I really thought was good was the sprite animations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can understand most complainants but saying the Xenogears soundtrack is 'awful' is probably the straight up worst opinion I've ever heard on this forum.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LE confirmed for the west. Can't tell what the item on the left is though. Think it's a USB that has the soundtrack or something.
https://twitter.com/flintmech/status/637750014068985856

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I wanna pet a nopon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

LE confirmed for the west. Can't tell what the item on the left is though. Think it's a USB that has the soundtrack or something.
https://twitter.com/flintmech/status/637750014068985856

Yeah, it says 'Digtal soundtrack on custom USB'

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I can understand most complainants but saying the Xenogears soundtrack is 'awful' is probably the straight up worst opinion I've ever heard on this forum.

Xenogears: Creid / OST (Disc 1 & 2): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC61740ABE0842BDE

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's crime that Mitsuda hardly does any soundtracks any more. At least on his own, he's had a couple of tracks on Kid Icarus: Uprising and Soul Sacrifice and is apparently working on Stella Glow.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 29, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenogears, whatever its many flaws, has a goddamn phenomenal soundtrack.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

xenogears . . . awful music outside like one or two tracks

what the gently caress

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
From seeing noas tweets, it seems the pax panel amounted to hey guys the game still exists it swears (and a release date which I guess is pretty cool)

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Sam Faust posted:

I wanna pet a nopon.
limited edition better come with a goddamn nopon plush

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Calaveron posted:

From seeing noas tweets, it seems the pax panel amounted to hey guys the game still exists it swears (and a release date which I guess is pretty cool)

Only so much you can say about a game that's technically been released for almost 5 months already.

Did they at least offer more English cutscene footage? Still holding out some hope they can still make us somewhat care about the characters in this one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Nowi is awful but she's also a massive outlier and not important to the game, you can literally walk her and Gregor into a horde of enemy units and forget she ever existed.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nowi is awful but she's also a massive outlier and not important to the game, you can literally walk her and Gregor into a horde of enemy units and forget she ever existed.

wow, what the gently caress?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mak0rz posted:

what the gently caress

Sorry, the soundtrack kinda all blended together to me and only song I really remember is the random countdown boss song v:shobon:v

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nice av

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

wow, what the gently caress?

Gregor would never leave a friend behind

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gregor would never leave a friend behind

That's why you tell him she just went to buy some milk and then focus on seducing him yourself.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HKncIY9Jn4

Here's the full panel.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sorry, the soundtrack kinda all blended together to me and only song I really remember is the random countdown boss song v:shobon:v

I'm not gonna let this trash post get me down so I'm going to listen to Flight now. Later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xenogears is really good but Xenosaga is not.

• Locked thread