Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kiggles posted:

Nope. If you extracted them they're extracted. From here, they are in Morpho's hands. We don't even know extracting them confers any bonuses. It's all just been speculation. The official guide seems to suggest that bonus staff is dependent simply upon what missions have been completed, not extractions.

In the mean time, what would Big Boss do?

Though it also says that there are nineteen people to get (including Eye and Finger, the only two with unique names on the list) and there are also nineteen people to extract in Ground Zeroes, so it's better to be safe than sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

The chart from the guide lists which TPP missions they unlock after. It does not mention unlock requirements from GZ at all.

OhH!That'll teach me to just glance at things. Should've been obvious just looking at the mission numbers associated with the batches.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

does mgs5 have a CrocHat?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Popy posted:

It has a chicken hat. That close enough?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao if you doinks aren't going to do a "Johnny" Run with the shittiest soldier in your entire army and all the difficulty modifiers on
I won't turn all the modifiers on but I definitely want to see how far I can get with the first random schmuck they let me use. Fun/tedious idea: eject the current soldier from the roster every time you get killed/fail

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CrashCat posted:

I won't turn all the modifiers on but I definitely want to see how far I can get with the first random schmuck they let me use. Fun/tedious idea: eject the current soldier from the roster every time you get killed/fail

Hahaha oh man, Nuzlocke runs in TPP are going to be a thing now.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CrashCat posted:

I was hoping to do the same with Peace Walker, and turn one of the first fultoned recruits into a super soldier, but alas, their performance only improved from moral (and a slight increase to max HP/Psyche) and the increases capped very low. So that was a wash.

If it is possible in TPP, then the first soldier with the most embarrassing code is going to be the best.

vvv then contingency is that soldier will eventually be fired.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 31, 2015

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Kiggles posted:

I was hoping to do the same with Peace Walker, and turn one of the first fultoned recruits into a super soldier, but alas, their performance only improved from moral (and a slight increase to max HP/Psyche) and the increases capped very low. So that was a wash.

If it is possible in TPP, then the first soldier with the most embarrassing code is going to be the best.

I think that's the point. They don't really get much better.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I'm going to attend a midnight launch for The Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain in less than six hours I think it will be good

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
What's the cheapest, non-scammy site to preorder this now ? Are there any vouchers ?

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

tbh I prefer it this way. Rather have the reward of recruiting the most dangerous soldiers to my cause and getting with S+ in combat from the get go than just spending infinite time managing mother base to produce a super soldier.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I am watching Peace Walker the movie to prepare. I hope we get at least one instance of Snake making up a terrible cover story on the fly and yammering on about the Washington Treaty on Endangered Species.

"Join us, there's a free balloon ride."

"Ever wondered what it's like to be a bird?"

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Popy posted:

There was some twitter post showing off camo customization (for MGO, I think?) and there was another monitor that was like 80% cropped out of the picture with a giant crocodile head render on it, so most people have interpreted that as a not-so-subtle hint that the Croc Cap is in, at least for online.

edit: Link: https://twitter.com/MetalGearOnline/status/623313965523664896

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

What's the cheapest, non-scammy site to preorder this now ? Are there any vouchers ?

Seems like the only place to 'officially' pre-order right now (for PC) is Steam. I wouldn't expect any other retailers to have anything other than Nvidia vouchers right now.

About your only option for discounts is to hit Captain Invictus' thread for a 15% discount. Only other option I would recommend is maybe Goons in SA-Mart selling the voucher code. Note: The voucher is not technically a "pre-order" so it won't unlock a copy of Ground Zeroes, but presumably since it adds the game to your steam list it will be available for download/play the same way actual pre-orders will.

Other option, if you're not worried about the Ground Zeroes bonus copy from pre-orders is to wait until the game is officially released and other retailers might be able to get keys.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mechathief posted:

You and me both. Cheers!

Have fun!

Smelly posted:

I'm sorry for all the trouble life is throwing at you. I have a pregnant wife that's due any day now, on top of the stress at work.

I can't wait for this game either, I need a good stress reliever.

Also Yay for drunk buddies. :hfive:

That's awesome honestly, I bet you'll be an awesome dad and have a great life with that little fella/lady. Good luck!

Raxivace posted:

Ouch, that sounds pretty rough. Hope everything works out alright man.

It's all good, life is what it is. I can't expect it to always be easy but at least I've got solid video games to help me out a bit.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Having played Ground Zeroes in my clumsy old way this weekend, I have become well aquainted with the Reflex Mode. I am in two minds about it. First of all, it FEELS GREAT. Everything about the mode is just satisfying while playing. It also lets me recover from a stupid mistake without going to the last checkpoint. However, it also removes a lot of tension while sneaking.

I have an idea for an option they should add. In addition to the "No reflexes" option, they should add a "Only reflex mode on targets you have marked". This makes sense in game, as you would be prepared to quickly reack to a target you where aware of, catching them off guard. But if a guard I dont know about sees me, I wouldn't have the same advantage.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I just finished my 100% Ground Zeroes run. Here is a link to the save file if anyone wants it; https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5gcijq1uiu69ng/GroundZeroes.rar?dl=0

I ran every single mission and made sure to extract everyone possible before I uploaded it, so I can guarantee that this save'll have everybody.
Just put it in: Steam\userdata\<AccountID>\311340\remote and it should work.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

How do you actually get good soldiers in PW. I'm at the last fight of the main story and my second-best dude has all Cs and a pedophile moustache and his name is Pig.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

SA just posted this on my FB.

I want to believe.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Oh man. Steam says the game won't be available for another day and 10 hours... That means in my timezone (Australia) it wont unlock until 3am on the 2nd. Boo!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

How do you actually get good soldiers in PW. I'm at the last fight of the main story and my second-best dude has all Cs and a pedophile moustache and his name is Pig.

Side-ops and the Recruit function back at Mobase, mostly. They're modified by your Heroism stat, though, so if you have only pushed through the main missions, they probably won't be much better than what you already have, side-ops withstanding. If you can get into a high difficulty mission hosted by someone else, you can sometimes pull out crazy good soldiers.

The only exception is S-rank intel units, which are those snipers in the earlier main mission maps, but you can only pick them up with fulton mines, or the Carl Gustav fulton launcher, which are both pretty high level, meaning you're going to need someone else to assist anyway.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

lordsummerisle posted:

I have an idea for an option they should add. In addition to the "No reflexes" option, they should add a "Only reflex mode on targets you have marked". This makes sense in game, as you would be prepared to quickly reack to a target you where aware of, catching them off guard. But if a guard I dont know about sees me, I wouldn't have the same advantage.

I like that. Keeps the surprise of being discovered with some of that cool cinematic badass that reflex allows. Reflex is particularly egregious on PC I think, where with a mouse you don't even need reflex time in the first place.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Dudes in guard towers (near the CIA base after the first helicopter fight) in extra ops have like a or s rank intel. You can tranq them, lay fulton mines under them, shoot the mines. Best is to walk around with your PSP downtown or whatever and recruit a lot.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Isometric Bacon posted:

Oh man. Steam says the game won't be available for another day and 10 hours... That means in my timezone (Australia) it wont unlock until 3am on the 2nd. Boo!

Community manager for Konami says it'll unlock in about 3 hours and 20 minutes, Konami twitter account says it'll unlock in 19 hours and 20 minutes, Steam says it will unlock in 33 hours. The only thing they can agree on is that the unlock is global and the same time for everybody.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Isometric Bacon posted:

According to the Konami Community Manager, that is just for the 'hard release', but in the mean time there will be a 'soft release'. So for all intents and purposes that timer is simply the counter-down for pre-order bonus eligibility.

When will the 'soft launch' actually go live? Beats the hell out of me. Middle of last week it was 12am Spet 1 NZ time, but since that has supposedly been changed to 12am Sept 1 US east coast time.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
RELEASE THE GAME GABE

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just got the final extractions I needed from Ground Zeroes. :toot: Now I just need the hard mode skins from Deja Vu and Jamais Vu and I've got all of the bonuses.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Kilometers Davis posted:

Have fun!

That's awesome honestly, I bet you'll be an awesome dad and have a great life with that little fella/lady. Good luck!

It's all good, life is what it is. I can't expect it to always be easy but at least I've got solid video games to help me out a bit.

Thank you. I like to think I do decent. This is actually my third child, all girls too. My kids watched the one gameplay video and are all sorts of excited over seeing D - Horse and DD. I just have to make sure I do a stealth only run around them. :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just uploaded my save data from Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - A Hideo Kojima Game to the CloudTM :dance:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Smelly posted:

Thank you. I like to think I do decent. This is actually my third child, all girls too. My kids watched the one gameplay video and are all sorts of excited over seeing D - Horse and DD. I just have to make sure I do a stealth only run around them. :v:

Oh dang you're a pro. I'm glad. I'm happy for you even though three girls sounds insane! I'm at the point with my girlfriend where marriage is close, as is children. It's odd but feels very natural and I'm looking forward to it as much as I'm terrified. I can't wait for the inevitable safe gaming experiences with little kids.

As for MGS I have a feeling my first run will be mostly run and gun. I'll try stealth but I'm sure I'll consistently screw up and have to gun down everybody.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Going stealthy until you gently caress up and have to go loud is the best approach. Especially if you're bad like me.

Kiggles posted:

The only exception is S-rank intel units, which are those snipers in the earlier main mission maps, but you can only pick them up with fulton mines, or the Carl Gustav fulton launcher, which are both pretty high level, meaning you're going to need someone else to assist anyway.

:aaa:

You can Fulton people at a distance?!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Yeah, there's a researchable Carl Gustav that launches fulton rockets. I think you can take four folks out at once, if they're clumped together enough.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just uploaded my save data from Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - A Hideo Kojima Game to the CloudTM :dance:

valuable contribution to the Patriots AI database

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Kiggles posted:

Carl Gustav fulton launcher,

Fuckin hell

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Peace Walker had the best buck-wild poo poo at the late game, like the previously mentioned fulton rockets and mines. There was also things like a railgun that had to be charged up by another player with a hand crank, a net for capturing tanks (and balooning them away) and a man-catapult that required all four players to use.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Does anyone know if we can play dress up with the Horse/Dog/Mech/Woman companion?

The sniper seems like the one I'd like around most but it would be nice to put some clothes on her first. She's real pale, need to cover up against that Afghan sun. My immersion.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vitamin P posted:

Does anyone know if we can play dress up with the Horse/Dog/Mech/Woman companion?

Yes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My copy of the game has shipped! Should be here tomorrow!

I am looking forward to playing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - A Hideo Kojima Game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked the human catapult and cardboard box tank from Peace Walker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
New Zealand midnight is in, what, 2 hours? We'll see if Steam preorder downloads start then or not.

It's a thin sliver of hope but I'm hanging on to it, drat it.

• Locked thread